Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remember the old UL

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

anyone have pictures of the scholars? i've never seen it...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

sceptre wrote: »
    Main library all of A2, journals all of A3.

Oddly enough there were more study spaces in the old library than the new one, when they built it I went around and counted them. And with the closing of the study rooms in A1, there were definitely far more study spaces in the college in pre-Glucksman library days. Go figure.

Of course the Hunt museum used to be up on floor A3 before it got moved to what is now the PAC next to FB028 (before it moved into town)

The journals room used to be up on A3 as well. It was also possible to actually study in the old library, none of that open plan nonsense. Think the study rooms you are referring to on A1 were the rooms opposite the fishtank?? Remember having lectures in there after the new library opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

I miss the couches in the scholars..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

sceptre wrote: »
    Main library all of A2, journals all of A3.

And with the closing of the study rooms in A1, there were definitely far more study spaces in the college in pre-Glucksman library days. Go figure.

Of course the Hunt museum used to be up on floor A3 before it got moved to what is now the PAC next to FB028 (before it moved into town)

That would explain why A2 and some of A1 looks different to the rest of the building. Must say I've never been up to A3 (keep forgetting there even is such a thing) :D
    It was also possible to actually study in the old library, none of that open plan nonsense
    I agree - the library sucks for studying. You can hear noise from everywhere, the whole place creaks in the sun, and there's always people talking. Books are crap too (well the computery ones are anyway).

When I was studying for my exams over the summer (had 4 I grades and an F :rolleyes: ), I rediscovered the study room in the Schrodinger - no one else seemed to remember the place as I was the only one there for weeks!

Well in the Schrodinger its hard to know if you are alive or dead at any given moment... you dont see many cats there either..

I wonder if we can dig up some photos of the old stablai and scholars?

• Advertisement

Must say I've never been up to A3

Aside from the Journals room on A3, don't know what's there now and the chemisty lab on B3 there was nothing else up there so many people never ventured to the third floor. however if you walk along the B3 corridor to the stairs that would be between B and C block you can go up again. There is no corridor, it only leads to broom cupboards etc at the top of the tower, but the old meditation room used to be up there (i think) until they moved it in beside the usit office/bookshop. And there used to be one of those orange yokes up there too, it was quite a coveted place to study, no disturbances ever.

The other place a lot of people don't seem to know about is the small corridor leading from the E block restaurant to D block that lets you look down on the Jean Monnet, think there was a desk there in my time.

THe one that people used to wander through and annoy lectures by mooning them from it! I remember that one.. but wasnt that room usually locked

ya it was kept locked a lot, but if you were wandering around during the night (doing FYP, all-nighter) it was a good time to find places like that.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

That place is part of a corridor between the C and D block now (they moved some doors around and stuff a few years ago), so it's never locked.

That place is part of a corridor between the C and D block now (they moved some doors around and stuff a few years ago), so it's never locked.

oh ya i think they were revamping the medical section and that general area when i was leaving.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Classic thread. I was a 98xxxxx.

Anyone remember the pints of Breo (yellow Guinness) which you could get in the Stables and were launched on promotion back around April to May of 99? I used to love the stuff but apparently it never caught on.

Other memories which stick out from my time at U.L.

- Spar roll ftw!

- working as a glass and ashtray collector in the Stables, and the associated fun (i.e. getting to clean toilets and pick pint glasses crammed with ****e out of the toilet bowls)

- Going to the Stables for what seemed like a never ending Murphys promotion. Pints were £1.50, so a tenner got you six and you still had a pound left over for a block of cheese and sliced pan the next day!

Never saw those fancy white gates before.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 kingkane

I will refrain from state my ID no, but it is quite old and I remember the stables opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

kingkane wrote: »
    I will refrain from state my ID no, but it is quite old and I remember the stables opening.
    :eek: thats a minimum of an 86xxxxx i.d.!!

kingkane wrote: »

didn't the stables have it's 21st birthday there recently??!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 kingkane

didn't the stables have it's 21st birthday there recently??!:)

Yesss...it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Ascendotum

07xxxxx :(
    The old UL sounds pretty cool. So which is better? As it is now or how it was?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Nutty

no stables 21st birthday isnt till april the well known band from the west who like the bail hay are playin for it
    probably be week 12 id say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

Nutty wrote: »
    no stables 21st birthday isnt till april the well known band from the west who like the bail hay are playin for it

Thursday, 17 April, methinks, which is teaching week 11... Don't crucify me if I'm wrong, however! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭sushisushi

I'm not quite at the 8XXXXX level, but I'm amazed that anyone still remembers the I Soc - now that's how you run a society! I'm also a veteran of the big orange boxes and one of my classmates actually managed to spend a couple of nights sleeping in one, in one of the quieter corners upstairs in possibly the B block. I went back a few years ago and was gutted to find that the pool room and the ID shed had been replaced by some enormous science building and the Stables courtyard had acquired a canopy roof. Lightweights :>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 T1890

Nutty wrote: »

Was that not April last year?? I was definitely in the stables for some form of birthday celebration...maybe it was the 20th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Yeah, this is an old thread that got dug up so that was originally posted last semester.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 T1890

ergonomics wrote: »
    Yeah, this is an old thread that got dug up so that was originally posted last semester.

Cheers ergonomics, didn't know it was it was an old post....was getting rather confused!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

This topic is class! I'm only an 05er myself, but I remember the old gates. I have the vaguest memories of coming swimming in UL as a kid...

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

I'm a 96*****er. Anyone remember the NetBus scandal, where nearly every PC in the college was infected with a virus and whoever had a copy of the client application could take control of an infected PC.
    Usual stuff, ability to disable all the vowel keys, open inappropriate wesites, shoutdown the PC instantly etc.
    Saw a few lads getting hit by that bad boy down in the VAX, nights of hard typing lost in one go (thankfully was not one of them). Not to mention the widespread panic by the WASPs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭sushisushi

Computer scandals reminds me - anyone remember the Stables payphone scandal in 1993? Someone hacked the payphone so that it would give you free phonecalls to anywhere in the world, at least until Eircom copped on about it. You've never seen the likes of the queue for those couple of days!

Advertisement