Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Provisional License/Learner Permit Engine Limitations

Options
  • 29-10-2007 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭

Hi all.

I just put down a deposit for a 1995 Suzuki Baleno 1.3, and I'll be applying for my provisional licence (or learner permit) in the next few days. I wasn't and am not really interested in cars, but I live three miles from town and just started a new job there, and my only way in is by taxi's, which costs me near to €100 a week... just to get me to work! I'd save more money if I quit my job, went on the dole, and stayed at home! So, I need a car, and I need to learn how to drive.

What I'm worried about is that my sister thinks that people with provisional licenses or with the new learner permit can only drive cars with a 1.0 engine. Is this true? If so, I certainly won't be able to drive the Suzuki, will I? I doubt the government is willing to pay me €100 a week to get me to work. And speaking of Suzuki, has anyone had any experience with Baleno's?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

I'd say engine limitations are a far bit up the road. Couldn't be expecting the bulk of 420000 people to change their car overnight!!

On a side note, I think limiting engine cc size would be crazy altogether. I've a 2.0 litre diesel Almera that I also learned in and would you agree a whopping 73 bhp is a danger to society?

If such a measure was being considered, i would think (HOPE) that it's based on power to weight ratio rather than engine size. (the newer 1.3 diesels are far lighter and faster than my tractor!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

The prospect of engine limiters or an actual limit on engine size being put in place for learners was mentioned, but I doubt they would implement it any time soon, if ever.

Don't worry about it, you'll certainly have more than enough time to learn to drive and pass your test before they so much as move this beyond the 'idea' stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Azhrei

Thanks guys ^_^

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

I was reading somewhere (think it was on the RSA website) that bringing in an engine size limit would restrict learners from using safer cars (which are usually bigger and also have a bigger engine size), i.e. You'd be much safer in a volvo than in a suzuki in crash for example. Just because you are a learner you should be restricted from driving a safer car...

However, they did mention that they may restrict the speed that you can travel if you have a bigger car...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭ec18

However, they did mention that they may restrict the speed that you can travel if you have a bigger car...

Hmmm....Limiting the speed you can drive at....a speed limit if you will :p.....don't we already have them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

ec18 wrote: »
    Hmmm....Limiting the speed you can drive at....a speed limit if you will :p.....don't we already have them?

The suggestions was to physically putting a limiter on your car.....

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Shamrogue

Ive never heard of any engine limitations of cars provisional license drivers can dirve. I started off on my dads new 2.0ltr Honda Accord with about 155Bhp. And did my test in it, never anything said to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Read the thread, people are talking about the limitations which are planned to be introduced in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I agree with engine limitations. There are plenty of small cars out there that are extremely safe, one of which is the small SMART car. Proven to be extremely safe in an accident, the frame holds it's shape and protects you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

I was reading somewhere (think it was on the RSA website) that bringing in an engine size limit would restrict learners from using safer cars (which are usually bigger and also have a bigger engine size), i.e. You'd be much safer in a volvo than in a suzuki in crash for example. Just because you are a learner you should be restricted from driving a safer car...

I am always a little amused when I hear this kind of logic applied to learners and the type of car they should be allowed to drive. According to this logic, all learners should be allowed to drive a tank or a Humvee.
    What about the safety of others as learners career around in Daddies high power but high safety rated BMW with sub 5 secs 0-60 or other high power to weight ratio cars.
    Did you forget about the rest of us?
    Power to weight ratio should be a factor in restricting certain categories for learning. When inexperienced you get in to trouble a lot quicker in a high power sports car and the extra tonnage of an oversized SUV is very unforgiving to other drivers crumple zones.
    Any parent who lets their 17/18 year old out on their own in a high power car without the minimum of a test pass has very little regard for the safety of their children and no regard for others.

It will probably be a while for such restrictions to come in given the past history of the authorities and the unwillingness of the public to accept common sense solutions. At 420000 the L-driver is a young vocal lobby with years of votes to be placated.

Perhaps you should take note, driver instructors dont tend to use large safe volvos for teaching, so I suspect the category they use is perfectly suited to the requirements of most learners.
    And if parents only drive high power cars, then a small relatively safe secondhand car can be obtained for less than the repair costs of the odd wing or bumper and the saving on insurance would make up for it anyway.

Funnily enough I saw a tank (well APC) with turret and L-plates a few days ago. Learner peering through his letterbox opening, he had his supervising driver with him, head sticking out of the top.:) Cant see him being stopped in that:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭ec18

wil wrote: »
    I am always a little amused when I hear this kind of logic applied to learners and the type of car they should be allowed to drive. According to this logic, all learners should be allowed to drive a tank or a Humvee.
    What about the safety of others as learners career around in Daddies high power but high safety rated BMW with sub 5 secs 0-60 or other high power to weight ratio cars.
    Did you forget about the rest of us?
    Power to weight ratio should be a factor in restricting certain categories for learning. When inexperienced you get in to trouble a lot quicker in a high power sports car and the extra tonnage of an oversized SUV is very unforgiving to other drivers crumple zones.
    Any parent who lets their 17/18 year old out on their own in a high power car without the minimum of a test pass has very little regard for the safety of their children and no regard for others.

It will probably be a while for such restrictions to come in given the past history of the authorities and the unwillingness of the public to accept common sense solutions. At 420000 the L-driver is a young vocal lobby with years of votes to be placated.

Perhaps you should take note, driver instructors dont tend to use large safe volvos for teaching, so I suspect the category they use is perfectly suited to the requirements of most learners.
    And if parents only drive high power cars, then a small relatively safe secondhand car can be obtained for less than the repair costs of the odd wing or bumper and the saving on insurance would make up for it anyway.

Funnily enough I saw a tank (well APC) with turret and L-plates a few days ago. Learner peering through his letterbox opening, he had his supervising driver with him, head sticking out of the top.:) Cant see him being stopped in that:D

If anyone can get insured on those high powered cars on a provisonal please let me know the company?

Advertisement