Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nothing but problems with ddr2

Options
  • 29-10-2007 3:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys I have had nothing but problems with ddr ram since I started using it 18 months ago. I have spent this time RMA'ing a few different brands.
    I have a aw9d-max motherboard and e6600 c2d. First I started using gskill ram it worked for a few months, then I had to rma it as I was getting errors. The ram that was rma'ed worked fine for a few months but then I got the same problems again. I stopped using gskill and got some corsair xms2 . This worked fine for months so I ordered another 2gb of it. I also RMA's the gskill again as I planed to sell it.

So now I have 4 1gb sticks of corsair and 2 1gb stick of gskill.
    When I got the other 2 sticks of corsair it refused to boot with 4 stick installed.
    I could use any mixture of the 3 to boot but once I put 4 in it refused to boot,so it wasn't like it was just one bad stick.
    I tried 2corsair sticks and 2 gskill stick and this manages to boot but windows is unstable.

I have also tried a few different motherboards, but this has not helped.

I am totally lost and don't know what to do next. :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Well I have been testing this out some more and it seems that one matched pair of the corsair is faulty. What are the chances of getting so many bad modules? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

I blame you chris

• Registered Users Posts: 16,679 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

A lot of motherboards have problems with 4 1GB modules, you'd be better off with 2x2GB. You have tried updating the BIOS as well?

The chances of getting that many bad modules is virtually zero, and I bet a lot of the ones you sent back were probably fine as well.

strongr wrote: »
    I blame you chris

Hey, after seeing the masterpiece that is Marc's pc how could you ever question my pc building skills! :mad:

astrofool wrote: »
    A lot of motherboards have problems with 4 1GB modules, you'd be better off with 2x2GB. You have tried updating the BIOS as well?

The chances of getting that many bad modules is virtually zero, and I bet a lot of the ones you sent back were probably fine as well.

Yes I'm using the latest bios version.
    And I do realise the chances of them all being bad are very low. Most memory manufactures offer a lifetime warranty so they must be confident of the reliability of their product.

Selling my 1gb sticks and buying 2 2gb sticks sounds like the way to go, thanks for the advice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement