Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned?

Options
  • 29-10-2007 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭

Im wondering why I can't access the personals section?

Its as if I was banned or something...as Im not sure why as I only go to the personals section to keep updated on my thread I have there..

If I have been banned for something..its odd as i didnt even get a warning if I had posted something unfit for the forum....if I did I apologise but can an admin help me on this? Thank you.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055173217

im gonna bet it was that.

Pm the mod of the forum.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

It wasn't exactly helpful (whether you were right or wrong is irrelevant, though I don't see how you thought infecting his wife with HIV was deserved).

Besides, if the personals section is http://www.adverts.ie/index.php?cat=4 If you acted like Personal Issues was a personals section you would have been banned over that anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

One of the Personal Issues moderators has banned you for one week because of your "serves you right" comment.
    Personal Issues is a forum where unhelpful remarks are not tolerated. Plus, that comment was tantamount to an attack on the OP, no matter how justified you felt you were. You can't really let your personal convictions get in the way when someone is looking for impartial advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Teddi

Yea..I know it wasnt the right thing to say....

My reasonings for saying it ...is because a close friend of mine was infected like that due to an unresponsible b/f...very similiar to that OP's situation...

I could have been warned though..then made an apology...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Some offences are not deemed serious enough to warrant a banning - in those cases, yes, you will get a warning. But a personal attack - instant banning. Often it's a permanent one though, so your punishment is still on the lighter end of the scale.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

If I were you I'd make the apology anyway.
    Even if the ban isn't lifted you have done the honourable thing and that is always more important than the cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

should have been permanent.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Teddi wrote: »
    Yea..I know it wasnt the right thing to say....

I could have been warned though..then made an apology...
    We don't always warn people. If someone makes an extremely inappropriate comment on PI (and other fora) then you can find yourself with a ban and having no idea why. This is good in my opinion as it confuses you, and then makes YOU waste your time in trying to find out why you were banned. This is good because the mods spend their time trying to make the forum a clean and proper place for intelligent discussion, so why should they spend more time on someone that obviously doesn't give a hoot about the forum. Because you showed that you didn't give a hoot about the forum.

No wooing people with your experiences of Aids
    My reasonings for saying it ...is because a close friend of mine was infected like that due to an unresponsible b/f...very similiar to that OP's situation...
    It's a shame you didn't woo the audience with your supreme experience in this field. You could have even made it an interesting post using wit, but sometimes wit can go too far and reduce your wooing abilities. Because as you know - one truly can be too wit to woo.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,907 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Gordon wrote: »
    Because as you know - one truly can be too wit to woo.
    ** snigger **

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

lol, I was wondering where gordon was going with that last paragraph.

• Advertisement

Excuse me...id rather you not mock the serious situation of my close friend thank you...say what you will to me...but don't include that into the equation.

On another note...

I do apologise for saying what I did..and if I had the chance I would take it back, It was a spare of the moment thing.

On another note...

I do apologise for saying what I did..and if I had the chance I would take it back, It was a spare of the moment thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

We all make mistakes.
    Let's leave it at that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

It was a spare of the moment thing.

There is a big difference between saying something on the spare of the moment and typing it. You have time to stop yourself hitting the post button.

It was a spare of the moment thing.
    Marksie wrote: »
    There is a big difference between saying something on the spare of the moment and typing it.
    Or even a "spur" of the moment thing! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

basquille wrote: »
    Or even a "spur" of the moment thing! ;)

LOL, *must take own advice*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

How many warnings do you get before you get banned, and is it possible to dispute a warning? I only just joined and already got a warning for a totally innocuous jovial post about visa waivers in the USA. The warning blasted me as a "spanner"! I've never been called a spanner in my life - what's a spanner???

The warning blasted me as a "spanner"! I've never been called a spanner in my life - what's a spanner???
    Obviously...

spanner.jpg

.. you should be ashamed!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

How many warnings do you get before you get banned, and is it possible to dispute a warning? I only just joined and already got a warning for a totally innocuous jovial post about visa waivers in the USA. The warning blasted me as a "spanner"! I've never been called a spanner in my life - what's a spanner???

Under the infraction system if you get 9 infraction points in 10 days then you get a 1 week site ban. This is only a new system and the wrinkles are still being ironed out in it. Things could change and it may even be dropped. You received a warning which means no points.

I can't envisage any one getting 9 points in the space of 10 days unless they were trying too or unless they are someone who seriously breeches site wide rules such as spamming.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

basquille wrote: »
    Obviously...

spanner.jpg

.. you should be ashamed!

actually, afaik (which isnt much when it comes to hardware tools) thats an adjustable spanner, or a monkey wrench.

both of which are extremely useful.

so cheeseprayer, when you were called a spanner, they actually meant you were a very useful chap :)

actually, afaik (which isnt much when it comes to hardware tools) thats an adjustable spanner, or a monkey wrench.

both of which are extremely useful.

so cheeseprayer, when you were called a spanner, they actually meant you were a very useful chap :)

That's what I thought, hence I couldn't understand why it was a warning. The spanner being an incredibly useful piece of equipment, usually with 2 different sizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

That's what I thought, hence I couldn't understand why it was a warning. The spanner being an incredibly useful piece of equipment, usually with 2 different sizes.

Actually you are being referred to as an old fashioned poster that is out of touch with all around . You have been surpassed by the socket and wrench which in turn has been surpassed by that superdupersocketeytypethingwithloadsofpins that opens all sorts of nuts even rusty and broken ones .

The easiest way to not get banned is to not be a tool at all .

jonski wrote: »
    Actually you are being referred to as an old fashioned poster that is out of touch with all around . You have been surpassed by the socket and wrench which in turn has been surpassed by that superdupersocketeytypethingwithloadsofpins that opens all sorts of nuts even rusty and broken ones .

The easiest way to not get banned is to not be a tool at all .

I have no idea what you're talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

On another note...

Teddi, it was me who banned you and I apologise for not sending a PM to accompany the ban. PI was going crazy over the weekend and I think that I banned 3 other people in conjunction with you.

I note your apology and contact me, or another mod, a week from the date of the ban, and we will rescind it.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Hahah Asok

<3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Excuse me...id rather you not mock the serious situation of my close friend thank you...say what you will to me...but don't include that into the equation.
    I wasn't mocking your friends situation, I'm surprised that you think that.

Advertisement