Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Line Attenuation

Options
  • 29-10-2007 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭

How does effect the speed of your internet connection?
    When I look at the connection stats in my modem I have a Line Attenuation of over 35 and I'm only getting half the possible internet speed available to me. The apt. I live in is old and some of the internal phone wiring look dodgy at best. Planning on moving out by the end of the year so not going to go messing about with rewiring but just wondering could this contribute to my poor Line Attenuation numbers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

That attenuation figure is fine. Whats your SNR/SN Margin figure? I bet it's below 9db. Distance from the exchange generally dictates your attenuation (higher figure = further away) but signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) represents the line quality. Higher = better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Not sure where to find that figure but I have a number just under Line Attenuation that shows Noise Margin of 6db.

Found a screenshot of my details that I had here:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

its not enough for 6mbits , 4.4db margin :eek:

maybe downgrade to 5 and then maybe 4 and see if that margin goes above 10db ??

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    its not enough for 6mbits , 4.4db margin :eek:

maybe downgrade to 5 and then maybe 4 and see if that margin goes above 10db ??

Sorry to be ignorant :o but what does the 4.4db mean? Is there a way to increase this number or why could it be so low? I'm supposed to have a theoretical max of 16,000 kbps if all conditions were ideal. As it is, everything works fine and I've never had an issue with it and the speed is good enough for me but I'm getting a lot less than what I could be getting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

My advice is disconnect EVERYTHING , including filters, and run those line stats again with only the modem plugged in

Your margin must be in the range 8-10db to be sustainable at THAT speed , otherwise the speed should drop to give a sustainable margin

If the speed does not drop to sustainability you get instability.

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    My advice is disconnect EVERYTHING , including filters, and run those line stats again with only the modem plugged in

Your margin must be in the range 8-10db to be sustainable at THAT speed , otherwise the speed should drop to give a sustainable margin

If the speed does not drop to sustainability you get instability.

OK, I'll do that tonight when I get home. Thanks for the replies!

Advertisement