Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christan morals in UCD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

TheThing! wrote: »
    No, I understand that Xmas is not in itself an anti religious way of refering to that time of year, nor is Xian taking the Christ out of Christian when used in its purest sense. I do however have a problem with it when it is used by people who don't understand (which I now realise doesn't include you) in an attempt to annoy the religious, as it often is.

But, and this is what really bugs me about people who express their religion belief in the way in which you are expressing it on this board, if you have faith in your religion and god loves you and you're going to heaven etc. why should you give a damn what other people say about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭TheThing!

But, and this is what really bugs me about people who express their religion belief in the way in which you are expressing it on this board, if you have faith in your religion and god loves you and you're going to heaven etc. why should you give a damn what other people say about it?

Because I have great respect for God and my religion and it hurts me and all those millions who have only religion to fall back on when people who don't see things the way we do decide to reduce our beliefs to mere superstition

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

P*M is on the button. Why on earth did you start this thread in the first place OP? Do you find something in UCD lacking?

I go to mass every sunday and holy day - other people grab an extra hour's kip - big deal. The fact that I choose to practice religion has little to do with UCD at large. Does me being a Catholic make say the morality of an atheist less valid in my view? Nope. Should it? Nope.

Why the focus on the presence or absence of Christian (as opposed to say Islamic, Buddhist or Humanist) morals in direct relation to UCD as opposed to the public at large? You're asking a question expecting a black and white answer and I just don't think there is one.

Red Alert wrote: »
    P*M is on the button. Why on earth did you start this thread in the first place OP? Do you find something in UCD lacking? I go to mass every sunday and holy day - other people grab an extra hour's kip - big deal. The fact that I choose to practice religion has little to do with UCD at large. Why the focus on the presence or absence of Christian (as opposed to say Islamic, Buddhist or Humanist) morals in direct relation to UCD as opposed to the public at large?

I must first commend you for what you first said.

Secondly, to answer your question, my point is that I, and I don't think I am alone on this, believe that UCD and other colleges are responsible for allowing the campus to become too submerged in an extreme level of immorality. You only have to walk through the Arts block for example to see posters promising cheap drink and others promoting sexual promiscuity. This is not a healthy environment and certainly not one which is suited to Christian morals. As a practicing Christian, you must see the lack of Christian morals which is so obvious in our campus

Because I have great respect for God and my religion and it hurts me and all those millions who have only religion to fall back on when people who don't see things the way we do decide to reduce our beliefs to mere superstition

Well I would be of the opinion that it is as much my right to be dismissive of your beliefs as it is your right to hold those beliefs. You've already showed a high level of disrespect to atheists by describing us all as evil, which is totally unfair.

Back on topic anyway, if ucd had more of a xian ethos that would be powerfully lame because there would be less of a space for people of different faiths and none. The situation which we do have is one where there are several xian orientated student societies, a chapel, and a chaplain in every college (they're not all Catholics but they are afaik all xians). I really don't understand why you want more than that.

• Advertisement

Secondly, to answer your question, my point is that I, and I don't think I am alone on this, believe that UCD and other colleges are responsible for allowing the campus to become too submerged in an extreme level of immorality. You only have to walk through the Arts block for example to see posters promising cheap drink and others promoting sexual promiscuity. This is not a healthy environment and certainly not one which is suited to Christian morals. As a practicing Christian, you must see the lack of Christian morals which is so obvious in our campus

So you would like to ban these events would you?
    Censor the posters perhaps?
    Because you dislike the fact that they run contrary to your way of life.

And yet your way of life is at odds with my way of life... and we've already established that you would like to put an end to my way off life, and I feel threatened by that.
    Well I'm afrid I see no option but to petition to disband all xian societies in ucd and have the chaplaincy closed down...

or, no, wait, I won't because I'm able to tolerate people who are different to me.

You fundamentally misunderstand my position, which I am sure is something to do with the lack of Christianity in you.

Religion has a right to be prevalent in UCD. Does a poster promoting some meaningless night out fueled by alcohol and lust have the backing of God? I think we both know the answer to that. So religion, backed by the omniscient, omnipotent creator of the universe should play second fiddle to tacky and immoral aspects of student life? Give me a break

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Not everyone in UCD is Christian, therefore your idea of morality does not apply to them. Your idea of morality is living according to god, mine is doing whatever the hell you like provided you do not harm another person. Why should people who do not agree with your conception of morality not be free to persue their own, and what gives you the right to judge them? I thought the right to judge humanity belonged to god alone?

UCD is a public college. Perhaps if you wanted to attend a college with christian ethic and morality you should have gone to a college attended only by people who live according to those beliefs and who live that life-style?

Your right to your religious belief does not over-rule any other persons right to live their life the way they choose. If you want to spend your time in prayer, go for it, that's up to you. If I choose to spend my time drinking myself half to death and having care-free sex, that's none of your business.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,764 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Religion has a right to be prevalent in UCD.

WHAT?

You fundamentally misunderstand my position, which I am sure is something to do with the lack of Christianity in you.

No I didn't misunderstand your point. I misrepresented it. That has to do with the asshole in me.
    Religion has a right to be prevalent in UCD. Does a poster promoting some meaningless night out fueled by alcohol and lust have the backing of God? I think we both know the answer to that. So religion, backed by the omniscient, omnipotent creator of the universe should play second fiddle to tacky and immoral aspects of student life? Give me a break

Now you have missed the point of UCD. It is a secular university. It's students are of all faiths and of none. I do not believe in your god. I have no right to take your god from you, but you have no right to force him upon me.
    Posters on our campus do not have to have the backing of god, only the backing of UCD policy.
    Religion has no right to be prevalent anywhere. Religion will be prevalent wherever there are sufficient people of faith gathered and in a mood to make their faith heard. This is not the situation in UCD. Deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

HAs he even said why there should be Christian morals at UCD?

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭imp

Religion has a right to be prevalent in UCD.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but... you do realise that UCD isn't a Christian university, right?

Its not intended to be a place where any particular religion is given priority, people of any or no creed are supposed to be equal there.

I imagine you also want to revoke the fifth amendment to the Irish Constitution, yes?

A university's supposed to be a place of learning, not a place of religion. If I want Christian morals I'll go to the chapel on campus, if I want Islamic morals I'll go to the mosque down the road. If I want to learn the principles of electromagnetism, I sure won't go to mass to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

OP, take a trip to the Health Science building tomorrow. You'll see several posters advertising an (I think) weekly meeting where people can come to discuss God and religion. I'm pretty sure these posters were up in other places around the college as well.

As has already been mentioned several times, there is a Church and a chaplaincy on-campus, and a Christian Society. There are also several dedicated volunteer societies, and Medsoc has an offshoot society called MSVS which works with ladies with learning difficulties once a week. Niteline are recruiting volunteers at the moment for those who wish to help others. There is also an Islamic society for those who hold Islamic values as dearly as you hold Christian ones - many of these would be broadly similar.

The purpose of UCD is not to instigate Christian values. However, it actively promotes student societies, some of which promote Christian values. If you truly want to pursue this, I suggest you join some of those societies rather than spouting on an unofficial web site about how evil those who disagree with you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

"Tacky" and "immoral" are value judgements that you have made from your particular viewpoint. If drinking is immoral, what about Jesus' alleged "water to wine" miracle, that (according to the Bible) allowed a wedding party to go on for far longer than it would have otherwise? Cheers!

From my viewpoint, Religion is already prevalent at UCD. There is a chapel on the campus, the (Cardinal) Newman Society, and the Muslim society. There is no Humanist Society - not yet, anyway. :rolleyes:

A University is a place for free expression of ideas of all kinds. If your religion is genuinely superior, it will win in the end, but until then you do not have the right to dictate how other people will think. There is a Pagan society who will probably be doing something this week to mark Samhain - the original end-of season festival that was co-opted by the Church and renamed "All Souls Day" or "Halloween". Are you going to try to stop them?

Your posts in this thread are full of unsupported statements about the superiority of your god & religion, but neither you, nor your preachers or scriptures, are providing anything more than talk. Do you understand the difference between testimony (things people say or write) and evidence (facts that stand up regardless of what people say)? How do you explain the fact that the majority of people on this planet, of other religions (or none), just don't see any real Truth in your Bible, and you have no convincing evidence that will force them to abandon their beliefs (or lack of) and adopt yours? (Beyond the obvious, that is e.g. "be nice to people" - which you did not invent.) Oh, I know: we're all evil, right? :rolleyes:

edit: some extra reading: Fragile Trappings.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Breezer wrote: »
    UCD is a public university. We have what's called 'separation of church and state'.

we do? that makes the references to a catholic god in the constitution a bit odd.
    TheThing wrote:
    !You gotta gotta beat the ****outta that punk

Clearly OP you have heard the word of god.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Does a poster promoting some meaningless night out fueled by alcohol and lust have the backing of God?

It might.
    There's no evidence to say that it doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭spaceman1

What's the point of this nonsense. TheThing! is insane, just look at http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055173135

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

To be honest my biggest gripe is the contraception adverts in the toilets, I do not want to see these satanic messages whenever I go for a quick hail mary in the jacks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

spaceman1 wrote: »
    What's the point of this nonsense. TheThing! is insane, just look at http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055173135
    eep! poor b*stard...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

Oh dear - it's not nice to bring up the past like this. I can just see the priests hovering around like vultures. They pounce, sink in their claws of guilt and wish-fulfilment, and Halellujah! Another lost sheep is Saved! Someone needs help, and gets Religion instead. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

Based on previous posts, I'm guessing a more sophisticated troll than usually seen on teh intarweb... Think Dave McSavage humour. Kudos!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

At the end of the day, where would we be without God?

In a faaaaar better world than this one.
    If there is anything after this life its going to be based on what you have done, not what book you believe in.
    I always consider god botherers mentally unstable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

wow TheThing! is qware religious. fair play to you is what i say. do you act in a Xian way all the time? if so you can count yourself in the elite few of christians who probably do these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

hmmm just saw that thread regarding the things mental health....this thread is a loada b*ll*x so! great alias for someone like that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

That is really really out of order. Thething is just trying to get his point across you dont need to put him down and call him 'insane' just cos you dont like/understand what he's saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭ronanp

Its also quite disturbing how many students aren't following the righteous path of the easter bunny and tooth fairy, who have so much to teach us about morality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭stolenwine

this thread is spiralling.

FIN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Flume

This lad is quite obviously a W.U.M. Give it up.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

ronanp wrote: »
    Its also quite disturbing how many students aren't following the righteous path of the easter bunny and tooth fairy, who have so much to teach us about morality.

In fairness to the op he has a point that many/most of the activities organised for students resolve around alcohol. There is no doubt that our constant need to go out and get completly bladdered is trying to fill some void in our life. However I dont think its a void that can be filled by god/religon.I think its a void created by the rat race society where we have to have it all and often fall short of the perfectionism society dictates us to be.
    Also I agree that some of the posters you see around campus of women are complelty inappropriate.But I dont think this has anything to do with a lack of God/Christian morals. It just reflects the complete sexist society we live in.A sexist society which is completly reinforced by the second rate position us women have in religon and in particular the RC church

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ellenmelon

yet another crazy thread from theTroll! i mean, theThing! here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055173409

in my opinion, if you want a christian campus, go to the states where they have christian universities. theres even a mormon one *is very afraid*.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement