Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christan morals in UCD

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

panda100 wrote: »
    In fairness to the op he has a point that many/most of the activities organised for students resolve around alcohol. There is no doubt that our constant need to go out and get completly bladdered is trying to fill some void in our life. However I dont think its a void that can be filled by god/religon.I think its a void created by the rat race society where we have to have it all and often fall short of the perfectionism society dictates us to be.
    Also I agree that some of the posters you see around campus of women are complelty inappropriate.But I dont think this has anything to do with a lack of God/Christian morals. It just reflects the complete sexist society we live in.A sexist society which is completly reinforced by the second rate position us women have in religon and in particular the RC church
    Alcohol has been prevalent in Irish society for decades, it is not a product of the Celtic Tiger where we have to "have it all". I don't think it serves any purpose to draw parallels between the need to "have all" we desire in terms of goods and commodities, and "have all" the drink. The drink culture could be changed here if there was the desire to do it. Attitudes to drink driving, smoking, etc., have been effectively changed as a result of advertising campaigns, legislation, and enforcement.

I wonder if alcohol wasn't advertised at every ad break on TV, and every sporting occassion, would we drink so much?

If alcohol wasn't patronisingly seen as the preserve of super-cool mature people, and was encouraged with meals, etc., as in Europe, would as many young people drink as much?

If we weren't all herded out onto the street at the same time every weekend, would there be as much alcohol-fueled violence in the cities?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭BleakestH

TheThing! wrote: »
    I think that the immorality has gone to such a point that if people were to be forced to follow a more Christian life path then they would be better off, unfortunately this will probably never happen. People need to realise that they need God in there life
    Please...a world without Christianity is a world I crave to live in. :D

2nrn0hg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

DaveMcG wrote: »
    I wonder if alcohol wasn't advertised at every ad break on TV, and every sporting occassion, would we drink so much?
    There's not much else to do*

*away from big cities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭TheThing!

I didn't want people to post my personal issue post on this thread but since you all know I am mentally unstable, you will probably just dismiss my arguments as crazy, which is unfair as I do experience extended periods of lucidity.

People seem to be missing the point. I am not trying to put forward religion as the most valid way of life, I am simply stating that it is the most valid way of life. Following the light of God WILL lead to more fulfillment than a secular life with lust and alcohol in place of reverence and respect

the_syco wrote: »
    There's not much else to do*

*away from big cities
    True enough, but again that can be remedied if the will is there. Ireland isnt a lost cause! We just like b00z :)

TheThing!, unfortunately your ramblings all go by the premise that (i) there is a god, (ii) it is your god, (iii) you know what that god wants, and (iv) it is impossible to live a happy/full life without it.

Until you give me proper reasons, I'm afraid I'll have to continue with my hedonism.

• Advertisement

I didn't want people to post my personal issue post on this thread but since you all know I am mentally unstable, you will probably just dismiss my arguments as crazy, which is unfair as I do experience extended periods of lucidity.

People seem to be missing the point. I am not trying to put forward religion as the most valid way of life, I am simply stating that it is the most valid way of life. Following the light of God WILL lead to more fulfillment than a secular life with lust and alcohol in place of reverence and respect
    How about...no?
    throw-christianity-in-the-trash.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Following the light of God WILL lead to more fulfillment than a secular life with lust and alcohol in place of reverence and respect
    I totally agree. Following Loucetios, the god of thunder, can lead to a fulfilling life...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

That's not an argument. That's an unsupported statement.
    Good luck in university if you can't tell the difference between the two.

That's not an argument. That's an unsupported statement.
    Good luck in university if you can't tell the difference between the two.

Good luck in life if you don't see the truth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Alcohol has been prevalent in Irish society for decades, it is not a product of the Celtic Tiger where we have to "have it all". I don't think it serves any purpose to draw parallels between the need to "have all" we desire in terms of goods and commodities, and "have all" the drink. The drink culture could be changed here if there was the desire to do it. Attitudes to drink driving, smoking, etc., have been effectively changed as a result of advertising campaigns, legislation, and enforcement.?

Sorry I should have explained myself better. The effects of the celtic tiger is just one example of how Irish people throughout history have turned to drink to escape reality. Just like Irish people turned to drink to escape poverty,unemployment etc in the sixties,seventies.
    Theres nothing wrong with drinking but the fact that we dont usually know when to stop and want to get compleltly out of it ,to me suggests that alcohol like self harming,suicide etc is another way of young Irish people trying to escaope the reality of their futures.

The drink culture will never be changed here because we make too much money from the drinks industry. Of course the hurling championship shouldnt be sponsered by Guiness but these large companies have so much money invested in the Irish economy that they can do whatever they want. The goverment will never put a curb on drinks comapnies advertising cos they just make too much damn money from them. The goverment could do so much to change the really damaging drink culture we have in this country. They could put funding into youth orientated late night cafes,funding into leisure areas such as skate parks to give young people a place to hang out without alcohol,banning alchol sponsership from major sporting events such as the hurling championship....etc. The problem of drink driving would easily be solved If we had a cohernet dedicated properly funded transport system in rural areas. Yet near where im from in west Limerick theres only one bus a week on a Friday morning that serves the west Limerick/north kerry areas bringing them into Limerick city.For these types of people the pub is generally there only source of social interaction (watch garage). There should be goverment funded minibuses allowing those in rural areas to drink and get home safely.

If we weren't all herded out onto the street at the same time every weekend, would there be as much alcohol-fueled violence in the cities?

Thats what I was hinting at in my original post.Most people have one night of the week where they can go 'mad',Saturday night. So I agree If we didnt live in a society where we had to slave away year in year out for 60 years, for only a two day break each week and a one week holiday every year then Im sure people wouldnt have to resort to excessive drinking to escape from the fact that their 'life' is work.

• Advertisement

A Christian being able to speak credibly about truth? Now wouldn't that be a turnaround for the books eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Pff a real harcore god botherer would have said "The Truth"

Fake....faaaaaaaaake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

So remind me again... what is the connection between (a) not being Catholic, and (b) drinking to excess? Being an immigrant to Ireland (8 yrs now), I saw far more binge drinking in this supposedly Catholic country than I saw in my previous home (London). Other parts of the UK have their binge drinking problems (e.g. Nottingham), and there are problems with alcoholism in my native Scotland, but more to do with drinking at home.

I'm an atheist, and I barely drink: whole months go by without any alcohol, and when I do go out, I drink so slowly I stay nearly sober (and save a lot of money). I manage this without any guidance from anyone but myself and my liver, and the vivid memories of the few hangovers I have experienced. No drugs (except caffiene), don't smoke. I just keep my eyes open, and learn from the experiences of other people - the ones who did those things, not the ones who merely preach against them without experience. :cool:

stereoroid wrote: »
    So remind me again... what is the connection between (a) not being Catholic, and (b) drinking to excess? Being an immigrant to Ireland (8 yrs now), I saw far more binge drinking in this supposedly Catholic country than I saw in my previous home (London). Other parts of the UK have their binge drinking problems (e.g. Nottingham), and there are problems with alcoholism in my native Scotland, but more to do with drinking at home.

I'm an atheist, and I barely drink: whole months go by without any alcohol, and when I do go out, I drink so slowly I stay nearly sober (and save a lot of money). I manage this without any guidance from anyone but myself and my liver, and the vivid memories of the few hangovers I have experienced. No drugs (except caffiene), don't smoke. I just keep my eyes open, and learn from the experiences of other people - the ones who did those things, not the ones who merely preach against them without experience. :cool:

Maybe you dont drink or take drugs, but do you have sex? It doesn't take much time or examination to discover the evil in the lives of atheists.

Maybe you dont drink or take drugs, but do you have sex? It doesn't take much time or examination to discover the evil in the lives of atheists.
    So...if you have sex you're evil?

BleakestH wrote: »
    So...if you have sex you're evil?

Unless you are married you are evil in my opinion, which also happens to be the opinion of God

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Unless you are married you are evil in my opinion, which also happens to be the opinion of God

hang on... you think you know the mind of god? Isn't that a blasphemy or something?

You know, pre-supposing the opinion of your God might be a damnable offence, i'd be careful if I were you.

BleakestH wrote: »
    You know, pre-supposing the opinion of your God might be a damnable offence, i'd be careful if I were you.

The opinion of God is put forward by his representative on earth, the Pope and the Church

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

The opinion of God is put forward by his representative on earth, the Pope and the Church

Oh? So we are not just christian now, but specifically roman catholic?

Funny, I thought that a pope in the 16 century just woke up one day and bullied all the bishops into creating this papal infallibility idea so he could replace failing physical control over the land with spiritual.

furthermore, the term "opinion" would indicate knowledge of his state of mind and perhaps thought processes. The church just knows "what he tells them", even if I where to agree that he does this.

I'd love to see PDN talk to you. He is a Xian who seems to have the ability to enter into adult debate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

If it makes you feel any better, I think most people dismissed your comments as crazy before that link was put up.
    This is largely due to statements such as your second paragraph above. You are stating opinions and theories as though they are fact. Fact requires proof. You have none.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

Well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭spaceman1

I actually posted the link to show people that TheThing! is just having a laugh and is posting nonsense in other forums. He obviously likes to be controversial and get a good argument going. I noticed the tone of his post on Halloween costumes is a bit different than in this one.

I am an atheist and a skeptic

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Is the OP just jealous that he doesn't get invited to those kinds of parties?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

I am an atheist and a skeptic
    Whoa! That was quick - nice work, folks. :rolleyes:

So, you're retracting all your previous statements in this thread? Such as your statement that you know the Mind of God (the Catholic one), because He speaks his Mind through the former Nazi with the enormous hat? Good. No, I don't care if anyone finds that last bit offensive: no public figure is beyond ridicule, and it's not slander if it's factually correct.

stereoroid wrote: »
    Whoa! That was quick - nice work, folks. :rolleyes:

So, you're retracting all your previous statements in this thread? Such as your statement that you know the Mind of God (the Catholic one), because He speaks his Mind through the former Nazi with the enormous hat? Good. No, I don't care if anyone finds that last bit offensive: no public figure is beyond ridicule, and it's not slander if it's factually correct.

I am an Atheist towards all Gods except the one true God and I am a skeptic towards any beliefs which attempt to contradict Christian doctrine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Please ban this fúcktard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Well, I was taught in religion class- many, many moons ago- that God gave us free will... I just exercised mine and through reason and study decided that there are no gods at all. Christians (and indeed all other faiths) are free to associate in UCD, and to engage in debate on whatever issues they have. I do however, feel that the OP is a bit too preachy for my liking.

Can I form an Atheist Soc. when I return to UCD? Any takers?

• Advertisement

I'd join... Secular Soc is snappier :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement