Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Takeaway Portarlinton

Options
  • 29-10-2007 4:28pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭

Where is the best take away? I tried the Jasmine in the East End last night. I taught it was muck. What do ye recommend?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 ILTS

The one next to the Dublin Bar, cant think of its name is by far the best. Owner's name is Tina. Was the first one in Port, and is still the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭ChuckProphet

i reckon the one down the alley next to costcutter is the best. can' t think of the name

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

tina's is the oldest and the best. ask any portarlington local

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

The best one is the New Star (I think it's called) across from Mathews cafe. I wouldn't touch the one besides The Dublin Bar. I know one of the lads who maintains the kitchen equipment in there and I won't say what he said but lets just say I won;t be eating there.

I like the Jasmine for a sit down but yet wouldn't order a takeaway from it. I don't know if they have different chef for the takeaway but the food doesn't taste the same.

Slightly off topic, but I went to the Indian restaurant (can't remember the name) just off the square and the food was unbelievable. There was no one there (although whilst we were there the takeaways were flying out) on the Sunday we were there, which I found strange considering the quality of the food.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Roaster wrote: »
    The best one is the New Star (I think it's called) across from Mathews cafe. I wouldn't touch the one besides The Dublin Bar. I know one of the lads who maintains the kitchen equipment in there and I won't say what he said but lets just say I won;t be eating there.

Agreed 100%. Although I do generally end up at Tina's door of a Friday night when I'm down in Port :(
    Roaster wrote: »
    I like the Jasmine for a sit down but yet wouldn't order a takeaway from it. I don't know if they have different chef for the takeaway but the food doesn't taste the same.

I used to work in the Hotel, and one morning last year the Health Inspector came along and before we knew it the lads from the Chinese had 22 buckets of chicken hidden in a room out back which we used to store kegs. The buckets stayed out there until the HI had left.

Call me crazy, but I'd think that was well dodge. Haven't frequented the Jasmine since.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ports best

i reckon tinas,as long as im livein in port and thats 29 yrs now tinas was always the best so i think it still is, although the one near costcutters is nice to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

Where's the Dublin Bar/Tina's??

We like the Good Year just for the joy of giving them all heart attacks when ordering dumplings!

And yep, the Delhi Darbar has FAB food! We eat there loads...cue cholestrol filled heart attack :D

me thinks the good year is tinas curvy and the dublin bar is called toms bar which is beside it

• Registered Users Posts: 22 pjamas

tina,s chinese is in town about 25 or 30 years, as was earlier stated. the husband,s name is danny and the daughter,s name is 'ting ting'. surname is 'shum'. and the best of the lot is the son,s name' gateaux'( spelling is not quite the same though).for me the food is the best but the wife likes the one opposite the supermarket.:):)

isnt ting ting soposed to be some sort of prodigy child or somein like that,shes soposed to be seriously brainy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

very nice girl i have to say

is she still around stevoman, and is gateaux still around to

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

ports best wrote: »
    is she still around stevoman, and is gateaux still around to

I went to school with him...what a legend!!!!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

I tried Tina's for the first time last week. It was so salty i could only eat half of it. And I generally love salt on everything. I won't be going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

kikel wrote: »
    I tried Tina's for the first time last week. It was so salty i could only eat half of it. And I generally love salt on everything. I won't be going back.

The Oriental New Star is by far the nicest in Portarlington (thats the one behind Centra on Main Street).

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Steve_o wrote: »
    The Oriental New Star is by far the nicest in Portarlington (thats the one behind Centra on Main Street).

Thats next on the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Ruby-J

So is Tina's the Good year? the one on main street and is a restaurant too. it has a black front with gold letters??

why is toms bar called the dublin bar???

New star is ok, ive had a few dodgy dishes in there though.

i prefer the good year. ive tried fortune on the offaly side and its nice and the staff are very nice too.

must try the indian never eaten there and your reviews make me wanna try it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Mountrath

We in Mountrath have one Chinese takeaway, if we don't like it off to Portlaoise I must go...open more takeways people

hi Ruby J..... Toms Bar used to be called the Dublin Bar, years ago and i think the name has just stuck to it, the older people around the town usually call it the dublin bar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Keggers

Has to be the Good Year run by tina "Kegny Kegney!" Good times!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 anniecm

Hes righy years ago when i lived at home tina's was the best place to go. the only other chipper in town was the one across from matthews what it was called then escapes me

i think it was called the pony express annie

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

i think it was called the pony express annie
    No it was TC's!

maybe it was called the pony express before that then, but it was called it because my brother worked there at the time, Thanks for helping out kmart

• Subscribers Posts: 41,594 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

it was TC's when wardrops owned it.....
    it was 'the pony express' before that i think.... i remember spending many a lazy day there as a kid playing 'new zealand story' on the arcade game there....... or just hanging out .....

new zealand story what a feckin arcade game syd, jaysus now thats memories

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Clark Griswald

hi Ruby J..... Toms Bar used to be called the Dublin Bar, years ago and i think the name has just stuck to it, the older people around the town usually call it the dublin bar

My family use to run the Dublin Bar years ago. Think the name was already on the pub when we took it over.

Advertisement