Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTTH Explained

Options
  • 29-10-2007 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭

If you are bewildered by FTTH and other 4 letter stuff read this...

http://www.iec.org/online/tutorials/fiber_home/

"Telecommunication carriers worldwide have come to the realization that their aging copper access infrastructure is being taxed as residential and business customers utilize ever-increasing, symmetrical bandwidth-intensive applications."

The standard speed for the home of the 21st century is 21Mbps. (unlike here of course where it's 2Mbps)

"Today's networks are being designed to provide more than 20 megabits per second (Mbps) while three to five years from now, carriers will need capability of more than 40 Mbps as multiple services are used in the home, high-definition TV (HDTV) becomes more prevalent, and users demand faster Internet connections. This is resulting in the largest investment in the access network since the turn of the century and the wiring of the western world for voice services."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

bealtine wrote: »

The standard speed for the home of the 21st century is 21Mbps. (unlike here of course where it's 2Mbps)

More like 56 Kbps me thinks !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 adrianliang

my speed is only 100k/s...I'm in China:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

my speed is only 100k/s...I'm in China:rolleyes:

A lot of China is still essentially medieval.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

So is Ireland! In some parts we still can't get telephone lines, let alone Broadband.

Advertisement