Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue connecting to FTP server at home

Options
  • 29-10-2007 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭

I have an NAS server sitting at home that also has FTP capabilities. But I have a strange issue connecting to it and I've finally managed to see a pattern to my problem.

I have a Netgear router/modem that the NAS server is connected to, one of my other machines that is connected to this router is an old PC that I have uTorrent running on. What I have noticed is, the only time I am able to connect to my FTP server is when the uTorrent PC is running. I am able to login to the remote uTorrent client and I am able to FTP to my server. But once the uTorrent machine is switched off I can't connect to the FTP server.

Any ideas what might be the issue here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

I assume you have port forwarding set up on the router to the nas server.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I assume you have port forwarding set up on the router to the nas server.

Yes, that's working fine otherwise I assume I would never be able to reach the NAS server.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

What do the router logs show ?

Perhaps some uPnP strangeness or DNS ?

Logs don't show anything as I can't connect to the router. Once I start the other machine with uTorrent I can reach the router, don't understand what is happening here.

edit: I guess the problem is more with my router than the NAS server.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Yup, seems to be the router, whats the make/model ?

• Advertisement

It's a Netgear DG834GB. I have the Port Forwarding setup ok under the Rules menu and I even put the FTP as the first rule but it makes no difference! I just find it very odd that it only works when the uTorrent machine is on.

Advertisement