Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed Cameras

Options
  • 29-10-2007 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Just went past a two Gardaí standing in Shankill pointing a gun while I was driving at about 58 in a 50 zone. Does anyone know if they generally stop you up the road if you have been caught? They didn't stop me. Will I get it in the post or did I get away with it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Generally if it's a hand held, they pull you. If it's a tripod mounted camera setup, then it's fine/points in the post. In any case, I reckon you're okay as speedometers often overestimate your speed and the Gardaí generally apply a bit of discretion when it comes to people breaking the speed limit by less than 10%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

Wasnt one on a tripod, he was sort of leaning against a wall and just holding it. He did appear to be looking through it though.

I guess I'll just cross my fingers for the next few weeks :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

can we get a sticky for these posts?

something along the lines of:

handheld - you probably got away with it

tripod - cross your fingers.

next time don't speed and you won't have to post of message forums asking if you got caught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭farva

Where abouts in Shankill were they?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,655 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Add it to here: http://www.irishspeedtraps.com/ if it's not there already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

quarryman wrote: »
    next time don't speed and you won't have to post of message forums asking if you got caught.[/I]

I'm guessing you read this book recently :rolleyes:

http://www.amazon.com/What-Price-Moral-High-Ground/dp/0691006725

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭badbrian

Stark wrote: »
    I reckon you're ok as speedometers often overestimate your speed and the Gardaí generally apply a bit of discretion when it comes to people breaking the speed limit by less than 10%.

Doing 58 in a 50 zone. either Maths wasn't your best subject or you meant 10kph

badbrian wrote: »

Actually Maths was my best subject. It's lucky for you that they didn't test reading posts in LC English. I said the combination of speedometer overestimating AND Garda discretion MIGHT mean that he's okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

You're wrong too. Theres no such thing as kph.

Its km/h. And 58-50 was 8 the last time I checked;).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

They were in on the left at, is it an entrance to a golf club? As you travel toward Bray, just before the big roundabout beyond the COI church.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

I was on the way home from a mates house on saturday afternoon and I came across 3 garda speed checks, all in really sneaky positions. One was hiding around a corner and just had his driver door open peeping the gun through!

Generally if it's a hand held, they pull you. If it's a tripod mounted camera setup, then it's fine/points in the post. In any case, I reckon you're okay as speedometers often overestimate your speed and the Gardaí generally apply a bit of discretion when it comes to people breaking the speed limit by less than 10%.
    I said the combination of speedometer overestimating AND Garda discretion MIGHT mean that he's okay.

Maybe they stopped testing Comprehension since I sat exams. What you said in your subsequent post is not the same as what you think you said in your first post.

E92 wrote: »

Its km/h. And 58-50 was 8 the last time I checked;).

Yes but 58/50 = 116%

Maybe they stopped testing Comprehension since I sat exams. What you said in your subsequent post is not the same as what you think you said in your first post.

I won't explain synonyms to you because they fall under advanced topics. I think it's fairly obvious what I meant when you finish waving your dick around.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Ok badbrian, i'll explain this really simply for you.

-OP is doing an indicated 58 km/h

-As we know, car speedos tend to overread.

-If the OP's real speed was, say, 54 km/h then he would have been breaking the speed limit by less than 10%.

-In such circumstances, the Guards don't tend to take any action.

Are you with us now?

Actually now I do get it. Thank you for the clarification. Apologies for the unintentional hi-jacking of this thread (certainly there was no intent to wave my manhood around:eek:).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Where's the link to the semantics forum again?

Advertisement