Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ubuntu 7.10 install problem ...

• 29-10-2007 6:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

Ive tried the 7.10 live CD, however it just goes to a blackscreen, nothing happens.

I then downloaded teh 7.10 alternate CD and proceeded to install 7.10. I had no problems during the install, however when it comes to start in Ubuntu, it recognises GRUB, gives me options (if i press escape) and then starts booting and ends up with a blank screen.

Eventually everything loads, hard drive and CD activity stop, however all I see is blank screen, the same as when I try the live CD.

Any ideas?

Running XP4200 dual core AMD machine with Nvidia GTX 8800 graphics card. I tried setting the res is Grub down to 800x600, still nothing.

When I try and boot it seems to 'hang' at random places. The first was on the 'HDD - CD Rom ATAPI' which sounds odd as CD ROM is not to be HDD?

Then on some USB devices ...

I can then remove / add USB devices, it picks it (the system is 'live' and responsive) however I cannot get Ubuntu to load or startx.

I then tried to install PCLinuxOS, for some reason the Ubuntu 7.10 was still on the drive and booted agian, no PCLinuxOS at all.

Help?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

So you have nothing on screen at all? Have you tried changing the resolution to safe mode instead? If the system is knotting up on "HDD - CD Rom ATAPI", you may have a little tweaking to do before booting the kernel.

Have you tried searching the Ubuntu forums for your PC model/motherboard model if a self-build? There's bound to be someone who's had the same problem.

There's something odd about GRUB after installing PCLinuxOS. Did it give you any options for configuring GRUB during the install, like where to install it or to edit menu entries?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

Running now, had to do some tweaks in graphics safe mode to get it working.

Seems to be a common problem, many peeps having black / blank screen issues with Ubuntu 7.10.

Advertisement