Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Asus EEE-PC

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Droichead wrote: »
    I bought mine (901) from John below

The Computer Clinic
    Lower Main Street
    Longford
    Tel : +353 43 46545
    Mobile : +353 86 8111532
    E-Mail : info@computerclinic.ie
    http://www.computerclinic.ie/index.htm

:mad:

I just bought the 900 last week for 400, tempted to shift it now.

Only sold the 701 last weekend to my brother to get the 900.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,583 ✭✭✭savemejebus

sliabh wrote: »
    Actually the MSI Wind is more expensive than the EEE (by about €30 or €40). And as for the price, Play.com (who won't ship to Ireland) list the Wind at stg£350 or €443. Making it about the same price as Expansys €438.

The wind was supposed to launch at a lower price point than the eee 900 or eee901 , that was touted as one of it's main benefits that was supposed to outweigh disadvantages such as crap (compared to 901) battery and difficulty upgrading.

The rebadged advent version is on sale for £279 in the UK in PC world http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/219404 while the medion version went on sale in germany for 399 euro.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

Over €400 for the Eee PC900 is just ridiculous. the 1GB Ram /20GB linux version can be got for €338 from elara:
    http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ELA1537343

and the windows xp based 1GB ram /12GB can be gotten for €353:
    http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=MMEB994171

hell the 1.6Ghz atom based PC901 will be €376:
    http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE1593508

and the PC1000H will be €440:
    http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE1593508

If i could go back i wouldnt buy any of them. If the running battery life wasnt ridiculous enough if you leave it for a day or 2 the battery drops to 20/30% after a full charge :mad:

just noticed the 40GB SSD version of the PC1000 will be €465
    http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE1593769

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Is there no 1000 series version with an 80Gb (or higher) hard-drive running Xandros?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 evilearthwormj

Bare in mind that the MSI Wind that is currently being shipped (no one seems to have gotten any yet) only has a 3 cell 2200mha battery which gives it about 2 hours battery life. The primised 6 cell batteries won't be available until september (and anyone with a 3 cell will have to pay another €60 to get that). Also from digging around, that while the Eee PC 901 and the MSI Wind seem to have the same graphics chipsets - the Eee PC is scoring higher on the 3dbenchmarks scores - possible due to the Overclocking feature on the Eee PC (The wind only has an underclocking feature). I did read somewhere that the Eee PC has higher UMA on the graphics chipset.

I was initially looking at the Wind but I think i'll go with the Eee PC 901 now (although the small keyboard is a major drawback)

The eee904 will be out soon with a very similar keyboard to the wind and acer aspire one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

I was up in PC World in Carrickmines last night and they had the Advent 4211 (their rebadged version of the MSI Wind) in stock. It's €400 for the machine. I picked up one and cancelled my Wind order with Expansys. When I talked to them (PC World) they had 13 left in stock.

After having it for half a day I have to say it is pretty good. I would have preferred the white Wind, but for a €50 saving I will go with black and gray. And the money saved can go towards the 6 cell battery when they are released :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Chrisgtk

cianclarke wrote: »
    Bah really?
    I was after the 8gb version, 4 is cutting it a bit tight methinks once an OS is installed... Might be able to import.

Also, maybe the solid state HD can be upgraded? In the 4gb versions is it a 2.5" solid state, or just 1gb ram chips soldered onto the mobo?
    I have had a EEE PC (White jobbie) 7 series for a few weeks now. Upgraded the ram to 2gigs and have installed XP and added a 16 GIG SD card. Everything works perfectly and the EEE PC handbook helps you to reduce the XP setup to a minimum on the 4 gig flash.
    I did enjoy my first taste of Linux but it was too restrictive. OK for geeks. I had problems with my mobile broadband and I use Visio and MS Project a lot. Once you get used to using SD cards and memory sticks its a doddle. But beware, don't try hard wiring a bigger flash card in as it invalidates the warranty and can give you problems.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The latest must have accessory for your eeePC: :D
    Clicky

Now I'm annoyed that it's just a rubbish old 747 that I'm going to be stuck in to get to New Zealand next month.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

My 4 year old Samsung laptop packed in the other night so I bought the Asus 4gb with Windows XP from carphone warehouse today as i don't have the money for a huge spec pc. I must say it's grand for the use it'll get with me but it'll take a bit of getting used to! I'm not big on computers so i was wondering does anyone have handy tips on settings or downloads that can improve the whole experience?! I've already downloaded trusty Mozilla.
    Many thanks! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Droichead

Just got the 901 and would like to know what programs I can safely remove to increase available storage - C drive only has 825mb and D drive has 6.15gb available. I intend to remove Star Office and Works as my needs are internet plus Word plus a family history program plus a driver for a wireless printer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Got the 1000H yesterday afternoon and I like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

where did you get the 1000h?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Its supposedly in stock with misco.ie

Eee 1000h

But I have my doubts it actually is.. They don't have a realtime check on their stock it seems.

It turns out that they do have plenty of them in stock. €457 delivered. The Advent is looking like quite the bargain by comparison apart from the poor battery (2200 vs 6600 for Eee).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

sliabh wrote: »
    I was up in PC World in Carrickmines last night and they had the Advent 4211 (their rebadged version of the MSI Wind) in stock. It's €400 for the machine. I picked up one and cancelled my Wind order with Expansys. When I talked to them (PC World) they had 13 left in stock.

After having it for half a day I have to say it is pretty good. I would have preferred the white Wind, but for a €50 saving I will go with black and gray. And the money saved can go towards the 6 cell battery when they are released :-)

I just bought the Advent 4211 in PC World Naas for €379. They have another 20 or so in stock.

Not a bad looking machine on first impressions ... I hope its as good as all the reviews.

I'll post back next week when I've had a good chance to play with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Which is the best one of these 'Netbooks' to buy and where can I get it reliably at the best price?They seem to be coming out weekly now ?I reckon I would prefer XP and a larger hard drive of the Advent/'Wind' but the whole smaller size/community back up/image of the EEE appeals more ...But by the time youve got a specced up one theyre as dear as a normal laptop anyway...
    I want something I can bring around in the car/on holidays to read E Books (mostly Adobe format),surf the net and maybe type up the odd document .Can ALL these play movies /Youtube?Do they have issues with picking up wireless broadband?I know some of these questions are probably addresssed in the 55 page thread but info on these seems to be changing/updating FAST.Help?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Got on! (Advent) in Lisburn this evening. £279.99. Very easy to use and lightweight. Good screen size. Just can't figure out where the wireless button is :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭biologikal

ytareh wrote: »
    Which is the best one of these 'Netbooks' to buy and where can I get it reliably at the best price?They seem to be coming out weekly now ?I reckon I would prefer XP and a larger hard drive of the Advent/'Wind' but the whole smaller size/community back up/image of the EEE appeals more ...But by the time youve got a specced up one theyre as dear as a normal laptop anyway...
    I want something I can bring around in the car/on holidays to read E Books (mostly Adobe format),surf the net and maybe type up the odd document .Can ALL these play movies /Youtube?Do they have issues with picking up wireless broadband?I know some of these questions are probably addresssed in the 55 page thread but info on these seems to be changing/updating FAST.Help?!

There are so many options/variants now (and upcoming), that this thread is next to useless for any coherent, useful information for anyone new to these and interested in getting one. You be better of starting your own thread to address the issues that interest you, and/or do some searching on the internet. I'm in the market for one myself, and that's what I'm doing.

This might be a good place to start:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_netbooks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 syphax

Just got a 1000H last week, and I'm very happy with it. Screen and keyboard size are great, and it's still extremely portable. As for battery life, I think I'm getting at least five hours from a full charge. €457 delivered from ebuyer.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭AmyG

Rory123 wrote: »
    My 4 year old Samsung laptop packed in the other night so I bought the Asus 4gb with Windows XP from carphone warehouse today as i don't have the money for a huge spec pc. I must say it's grand for the use it'll get with me but it'll take a bit of getting used to! I'm not big on computers so i was wondering does anyone have handy tips on settings or downloads that can improve the whole experience?! I've already downloaded trusty Mozilla.
    Many thanks! ;)

hey thats the one i was going to get(like 7 inch screen ) just wondering is it any use? do you recommend gettin the step up version?

or any tips anyone?

• Advertisement

HI All,

this is to anyone who picked up an Advent 4211. I got one last week in PC World. I had a look at the display model, with specifics to the TouchPad. So all the advanced settings that one would expect were present on the display model (scrolling, tap zones, etc..). In the mouse settings (or by clicking the touchpad icon beside the clock), it regsitered as a "synaptics touchpad v6.5. This is exactly what i wanted, i use the TapZones all the time on my big laptop and are something essential in a machine of this size.
    SO, i bought one, and brought it home. Have to say, lovely little machine, BUT upon starting it up, the TouchPad does not work correctly. All i am seeing (in the mouse properties) is a "Wheel Mouse". The Device Manager is showing a "Synaptics Pointing Device", but no "Synaptics TouchPad V6.5" in the Mouse Settings.
    I tried EVERYTHING!! New Drivers, Old Drivers, Uninstalling, removing, Re-installing (the touchpad and windows XP itself!) and still nothing, I can't scroll and i don't have any of the advanced features.
    I brought it back and got it replaced with another one, but still the same situation (i even double checked the display model in store and all the settings were there, i even took photos for proof/detail the settings).

I can find nothing online to help me, but if anyone here has one, and figuered out how to get the touchpad working with the advanced features, please let me know.

I hope someone can help. I plan to return this second one tomorrow evening if i can't find a resolve.

Many Thanks in advance,
    T.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Try eeeuser.com - Awesome little site for problems etc.

I ordered a 901 on friday. I got it for 295e :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Where? That's a great price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Teferi wrote: »
    Try eeeuser.com - Awesome little site for problems etc.

I ordered a 901 on friday. I got it for 295e :D

Where? Cant wait to see where from

The girlfriends uncle deals with the likes of laptopsdirect et al as a supplier (or something) and he sorted me out for it off one of them.

That was how it was explained to me. My girlfriend hasn't got a clue what he does so she couldn't explain it to me very well. Needless to say he is now on my christmas card list.

I notice laptops direct are claiming to have stock of the Windows XP 901s now too, but only in white. No linux ones yet.

http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/Asus_Eee_PC_901_Windows_XP_-_White_EEEPC901-W007X/version.asp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

http://www.exquisite-mart.biz/catalog/product_info.php?currency=EUR&manufacturers_id=38&products_id=177

E245 for the EEE 901, think it might be a bit too good to be true. Scam ? Anyone dealt with them?

Here's the only think I found on them, guy's seemed to think it was a con but had no experience with them.
    http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?pid=320412

A bit of fishing online showed me that the company is registered here :
    http://www.alibaba.com/member/uk101879603/contactinfo.html
    http://www.ukdata.com/numbers/04984675.html

But the phone number appears to correspond to this scrap metal company "METAL & SCRAP WHOLESALE TRADE LTD.
    Phone Number

And the address seems to be occupied by a job centre !!
    Address

Anyone bought anything from them or heard of them, it's a great deal if it's real. But it's probably either a con or these fell off the back of a lorry !! Although someone went to an awful lot of trouble to do it !!

Oh the company also is in charge of this http://www.ishiuk.com/ so seems legit enough :confused:

"If it seems too good to be true, it probably is"

Something certainly does smell a little fishy about that website but you never know, they could be on the level.

Total and utter scam. Run away.

at the moment wheres the cheapest to buy the 900 or 901. I am looking to order it today possibly.

Komplett have the 900 Linux for €399.

Dabs have the 900 Linux in white (like the white one) for €359 and in stock.
    http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=533M&CategorySelectedId=11105&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11105,408510000,50626

Dabs also have the 905 XP 80Gb version due in stock soon, is this worth getting, €358, just dont know if they will get them soon.
    http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=568B&CategorySelectedId=11105&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11105,408510000,50626

Please someone help me on what to get.

• Advertisement

buying the 900 at this point is a waste of money in my opinion. The battery life is woeful and really lets it down. Plus you lose out on bluetooth.

If you're in a rush the advent 4211 in PC world or the 1000h on dabs make a lot more sense

buying the 900 at this point is a waste of money in my opinion. The battery life is woeful and really lets it down. Plus you lose out on bluetooth.

If you're in a rush the advent 4211 in PC world or the 1000h on dabs make a lot more sense

Yeah you are right on the 900 me thinks. The 1000 is bit expensive and also would be using it for travelling later in the year and would prefer the smaller size of the 9xx series, although the advent 4211 looks ok, do you know what price it is.

Is the 901 worth any use? Or whats the best value from one of the 9xx series

in my opinion the 901 is the best of the bunch but it's let down by keyboard

the advent is 379 in pc world and is actually an msi wind. Battery isn't great compared to the 901 and it's a bit bigger but the keyboard is much better and it's got an 80gb hdd and xp already installed, so it is a bargain.

in my opinion the 901 is the best of the bunch but it's let down by keyboard

the advent is 379 in pc world and is actually an msi wind. Battery isn't great compared to the 901 and it's a bit bigger but the keyboard is much better and it's got an 80gb hdd and xp already installed, so it is a bargain.

Cheers for the advice btw.

There doesnt seem to be any 901 in stock. Whats the cheapest to get one for? Also how bad is the battery on the Advent?

cheapest i've seen the eee901 was elara for about 376 (linux version).

Battery for the wind/advent is supposed to be 2.5 to 3 hours but a new 6 cell battery will be coming out to boost that to around 5 i believe.

Battery for the wind/advent is supposed to be 2.5 to 3 hours but a new 6 cell battery will be coming out to boost that to around 5 i believe.

Went to PC world and checked out the advent and it looks the part anyway. Its a nice size and weight. Power surges around the area the last 24 hours meant a lot of laptops werent powered up.

I wonder when the 6 cell battery is coming out as that might be worth it. Must decide on whether to go with the 901 or the 4211 now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I can't see the 901 at all on Elara?

http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE1593509&productID=S5712689

If you're looking for them on sites i've found searching for "Atom" is usually a quick way of finding netbooks.

http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE1593509&productID=S5712689

If you're looking for them on sites i've found searching for "Atom" is usually a quick way of finding netbooks.

Cool, thanks. I see the Linux ones won't be in stock till 18th August.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Offalycool

Just picked up the new Advent netbook. Lads this thing is the business, really great product. Hope I can get the better battery when it comes out but as far as build quality and features go, you can not go wrong with this for the price. About three hours sounds about right, but this thing is as nippy as my desktop and is as light as it could possibly be. When set beside the eee it looks far classer too. Light, Great screen, loads of space, good touch pad, blue tooth, virtually silent, gig of ram, nippy duel core processor and a nice keyboard all wrapped up in a smart case that just screams next gen. And for just 379 euro, Sweet. Grab em while there hot!

Hi Offalycool,

Dont' mean to rain on you parade but there is something you should check before getting comfortable with the Advent. Does the Scroll on the TouchPad work? (to check, does the little touchpad icon beside the clock show movement when you use the touchpad? also, when you double click on it to open, what does the touchpad show as? (it should show as "Synaptics TouchPad V6.5"). On the Synaptics tab are all options available to you? (tap zones, scrolling, etc...))

I bought one of these last week after confirming all i mentioned above was working on the Demo model in store, but when i got it home, none of these features were available. So I went back and exchanged it for another, but still the same problem.
    There are numerous threads on this (see here: http://forums.msiwind.net/general-discussion/advent-4211-tap-click-t1676.html
    and here:
    http://forums.msiwind.net/internal-hardware/please-help-touchpad-problems-t1691.html
    for example)

Basically what it seems to be is a dodgy batch of units. Apart from the Touchpad, supposedly both the screens and fan's don't last to long, with people reporting them going quite soon after purchase.

I ended up returning the second 4211 for a refund. I'll look into getting one again once i've seen confirmation that the units on sale are fully working (either that or i'll pick up one of those upcoming Dells)

Anywho, sorry again for pointing this out, but it's better to know now when you have a change it/get a refund(if you need it. the lack of advanced touchpad features might not be an issue to you!)

Hope this helps,
    T.

Haven't experienced any of the problems you mentioned yet. That sounds awful unlucky, at least being a bricks and mortar store you can bring it back. Touch pad is fine, no issues.

Thanks for the heads up.

When are they bringing out the 6 cell battery for the advent/MSI? is it going to be standard with it then. I understand that the MSI always had 6cell and the advent got the cheaper 3 cell due to low stock or something or just to make it cheaper

chris85 wrote: »
    When are they bringing out the 6 cell battery for the advent/MSI? is it going to be standard with it then. I understand that the MSI always had 6cell and the advent got the cheaper 3 cell due to low stock or something or just to make it cheaper
    Only the msi wind review models got the 6 cell battery. Most of the retail models (not just advent but also MSI and Medion Akoya) so far have had the 3 cell battery although i read that 6 cells are starting to appear now.

As for when they'll filter over here, who knows.

Only the msi wind review models got the 6 cell battery. Most of the retail models (not just advent but also MSI and Medion Akoya) so far have had the 3 cell battery although i read that 6 cells are starting to appear now.

As for when they'll filter over here, who knows.

A 6 cell battery for them cant be got from anywhere. The reviews of the 4211 are great and looks fantastic and has everything I want. The battery is whats holding me back on it. I may buy the advent and pick up a battery at another stage

• Advertisement

Offalycool wrote: »
    Just picked up the new Advent netbook. Lads this thing is the business, really great product. Hope I can get the better battery when it comes out but as far as build quality and features go, you can not go wrong with this for the price. About three hours sounds about right, but this thing is as nippy as my desktop and is as light as it could possibly be. When set beside the eee it looks far classer too. Light, Great screen, loads of space, good touch pad, blue tooth, virtually silent, gig of ram, nippy duel core processor and a nice keyboard all wrapped up in a smart case that just screams next gen. And for just 379 euro, Sweet. Grab em while there hot!

Which model do you have? The 4211 doesn't have a dual core processor.

Actually, you are right. My mistake. It's not duel core, but windows task manager displays 2 cores because of hyper threading. One core, two threads. There is a duel core Atom on the way though. Cant say the CPU lets it down at all, though the graphics may not be up to much fancy stuff but its adequate I think.

Offalycool wrote: »
    Actually, you are right. My mistake. It's not duel core, but windows task manager displays 2 cores because of hyper threading. One core, two threads. There is a duel core Atom on the way though. Cant say the CPU lets it down at all, though the graphics may not be up to much fancy stuff but its adequate I think.

Ah yes, the Atom 1.6GHz. That's also in the EeePC 901. Was reading a review on it there.
    Is the Advent running Windows or Linux OS?

Biro wrote: »
    Ah yes, the Atom 1.6GHz. That's also in the EeePC 901. Was reading a review on it there.
    Is the Advent running Windows or Linux OS?

Windows XP, ive heard that the MSI will come with Linux in the near future but that the advent might not for some reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I'm torn between the 901 and the 1000.. I think the 1000 is better for me because it can double as a laptop much easier than the 901.

I might wait for a month or two to see does the 1000 come down in price.

• Advertisement
Advertisement