Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Asus EEE-PC

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Nyeeeh, installed XP over the weekend. Not liking it at all. Noticeably shortening battery life, laggy at times, doesn't feel as smooth as the Xandros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

How does the battery stand up when constantly writing to an external hdd? I'm thinking about getting one of these for college, and I'd likely be downloading quite a bit through it, I dont think the 2-4gb internal storage would suffice.

Has anyone ordered and received an Eee from Expansys? How long was the shipping w/ laptopsdirect? TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭The_Seal

I was wondering if anybody who has one could tell me what its like tu use, im concidering getting one for my girlfriend. She needs one for doing a bit of work and and some internet, im concerned about the keyboard is it too small to type normally. Also is the screen too small would you find yourself ahving to squint to type out a word project

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Anyone know if these babies are easy to get in-store in the US?

My mam was complaining about not having a computer of her own (and she's going to NY soon) so I recommended she pick one up... part of me hopes she won't like it so I can take it off her :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

Well lads, whats it like? Is everyone who bought it happy with their purchase? I ask because my finger is hovering over the buy button on laptopsdirect.ie and its getting very tedious lugging my acer aspire 9510 up and down on the train to dublin...

Oh and this looks like the coolest bit of kit to come along in a good while and it runs linux too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Sputs-Lover

flogen wrote: »
    Anyone know if these babies are easy to get in-store in the US?

My mam was complaining about not having a computer of her own (and she's going to NY soon) so I recommended she pick one up... part of me hopes she won't like it so I can take it off her :P

Tried myself but they sell like hotcakes here and are all sold out with most shops awaiting new shipments
    Bestbuy has some on their online site, but they are backordered by 2 weeks.
    newegg.com has loads but only US credit cards are accepted.
    One crowd PC Club may have them. When I went in to enquire I missed the last one by 15 minutes. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Is it Ok for typing long documents?

Seems like a nice laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Sneaky_Russian

It's not as comfortable as a regular size keyboard (fingers keep going for 's' instead of 'a')

But if you are typing long documents you will soon get used to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭_PCahill_

has anyone who ordered one of these off expansys received it yet? I recall a few weeks ago they said they would get them in 2 days, and then it went to 12 and now its at 3. Was about to order off them before - glad i didn't now. Unless of course they had them for a bit and are sold out now?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I rang wondering what the story was last week. Apparently they only got 50 units in- out of an order of 1000, and they have close on 450 backorders to fill (including 2 from me). Looks like I may come to regret minimising my shipping charge yet.......

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

In same boat here. Decided to get one as a tester for work and it was at estimated 1 day. Since then it's fluctuating between 3, 4 & 5 days. Bit like the n770 all over again.

It's beginning to look like Asus is messing around in regards to what it's delivering to suppliers. I phoned around 2 Eee suppliers today and both said they had received minimal amounts of stock to what they had actually been told they would get day one. I kinda wanted to order another Eee as a present for Christmas but I'm kinda unsure who to order with now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

Ordered mine Sunday Night, and it tells me 2 days from today until stock arrives. Hopefully I'll be a recipient of one of the next batch!

Who did you order from? Expansys told me this morning they have 550 orders to fill :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Could you attach a standard keyboard to this pc - if you had lots to type?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If it has a usb port or ps/2 port than I don't see why not.

Cork wrote: »
    Could you attach a standard keyboard to this pc - if you had lots to type?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jCCUwT8XJyM

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭wolf99

is xp worth putting on for application compliance?

I have no laptop as am poor starving college student, but this looks real tempting, prob is I would def need to have xp (although I love linux) because of the programs I need to use.

so Q; if I install xp will it be able to run, say a VHDL IDE and be able to handle the simulations etc?

(spec'd req. on VHDL IDE site is Pentium II PC running at 400 MHz or faster, dunno which pentium mobile chip is used in Eee)

I don't really care about shortened battery life as I don't really like to compute while actually mobile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

how big is the power supply and heavy?can someone actually pic one up maybe?beside an eee or anywhere elsE?

• Advertisement

The power supply is comparable in size to a mobile phone charger.

Performance with XP is fine (requires licence and SD card to put on Eee) but considerably weakens battery life. I have no idea about the progs you want to run but remember the screen on the Eee is tiny and I'm not sure I'd want to be doing anything other than typing/internet on it. The EEEuser forums will probably be able to help you.

BanzaiBk wrote: »
    Who did you order from? Expansys told me this morning they have 550 orders to fill :(

In the same boat as yourself, expansys all the way. It was saying 1 day yesterday, but is still saying the same today!

edit: Update, rang expansys this am and was told the backorder on the black unit was at 350 units. As I am part of this backorder list, Im told I should have it middle of next week. Wont hold my breath though!Laptopsdirect have a backorder of 170 black units. Not in that much of a rush really, just the little kid in me wanting it NOW!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 davidz

I ordered an eee from laptopsdirect on 7th November, when it said something like "3-4 days" for delivery. Since then, the ETA changes about every day and when I tried to find out why using the "eMessage" system (they reinvented the wheel with that, and what a wheel it is omg...), I got no replies whatsoever.
    Now on 3rd December I received a notification that my order was despatched and since the website said delivery is "1-2 working days to S. Ireland" I expected it to arrive yesterday.
    Guess what, I'm still waiting. For me, this was the first and last time I ordered something from these criminals. I understand "demand is high" for the eee but that does not justify continuous lying to their customers :mad:

Bottom line: ignore Laptopsdirect if you care about your nerves :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Sneaky_Russian

was that a white one?

Crazy - i ordered my black one on Friday the 16th Nov and had it arrived on the monday.

No, it's the black one...

Just got this from Expansys in the last couple of minutes :(

Dear PC 701 customer,

We are sorry to have to advise that there has been a development this
    afternoon with 2 of our expected deliveries of the Eee PC 701
    (affecting both colours) scheduled for next week. We have been
    advised that Asus have put the delivery date back again. The shipment
    dates are To Be Advised with an Expected Time of Arrival of early
    January.

There is a bit of good news in that the delivery due in Friday 7th
    December has been confirmed, but the expected quantities have been
    significantly reduced to what was expected, and sadly will not be
    sufficient to clear all back orders. Orders will be shipped on a
    first-in first-out basis as this is the fairest method.

Other stock that has been confirmed is a quantity of hybrid Eee PC
    700s, which we understand will be shipped with 512MB RAM, not 256MB
    as specified. However I will await the arrival of this stock before
    adding a note on the forum. Please re-visit the forum for any future
    developments / updates as we will keep this updated.

Rest assured that a great deal of effort is being applied to
    obtaining stock and information of this hugely popular product, and
    want to offer as much transparency on its availability as possible.

Regards

Order Processing
    eXpansys

UK - +44 161 868 0868
    France - +33 467 457 780
    USA - +1 309 820 7913
    Australia - +61 3 8415 0848
    www.expansys.ie

eXpansys UK Ltd
    Unit 1 Kiwi Park
    Westinghouse Road
    Trafford Park
    Manchester
    M17 1HW

Registered in England and Wales No. 2870061
    VAT Number: GB781498191

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Damn, i got the mail too, i ordered a white eeepc on the 23rd of November here's hoping i'll be in line to get on of the ones that's supposed to arrive on friday.

Damn, i got the mail too, i ordered a white eeepc on the 23rd of November here's hoping i'll be in line to get on of the ones that's supposed to arrive on friday.

I ordered mine on the 5th of November- there were already 180 back ordered at that stage, so I wouldn't hold my breath.....

Does anyone know of anyone relatively local (i.e. UK or Ireland) who does have stock and is willing to deliver for a less than extortionate amount (www.asuslaptops.co.uk charge £70 apiece for delivery- daylight robbery- because we are an overseas address).

Shane

smccarrick wrote: »
    I ordered mine on the 5th of November- there were already 180 back ordered at that stage, so I wouldn't hold my breath.....

Does anyone know of anyone relatively local (i.e. UK or Ireland) who does have stock and is willing to deliver for a less than extortionate amount (www.asuslaptops.co.uk charge £70 apiece for delivery- daylight robbery- because we are an overseas address).

Shane

Dang, has anyone ordered an eeepc off of ebay? There's loads for sale from Taiwan, but i dont know about ordering one as they're probably not UK keyboards.

Cancelled my order with expansys yesterday and have replaced with laptopsdirect. Will see what happens!

• Advertisement

My unit finally arrived today...:) In the last possible time really since I'm going on holidays for 2 weeks tomorrow. Still my opinion on laptopsdirect remains, when you say "2-7 days" until stock it really should not be 30 days, and if you say shipping "1-2 days to S. Ireland" it really should not be 4 days.
    I'm relieved this resolved for me though :rolleyes: and good luck for those still waiting ;)

Wahoooo!!!!
    My Expansys order shipped this evening.
    I was looking into ordering one from Taiwan, just to get it for my wifey before Christmas- thankfully my problem is sorted now though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭b0bsquish

ordered mine on expansys, just seen that expected delivery date is now january, Ive canceled my order and gonna chance my arm on fleebay :eek:
    anyone in the UK, or with a UK address should try asda..supposedly in stock there http://www.asda-electricals.co.uk/shop/product/asus/epc701.html?&id=description

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭randombar

Lads does anyone know about installiong ubuntu on this?

Thanks
    Gary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Lads does anyone know about installiong ubuntu on this?

Thanks
    Gary

Okay lads, i've had an eeepc on order since the 23rd of November from expansys.ie, i now see that laptops direct have some of the white 701's in stock, should i cancel my order with expansys, or do you think they'll be getting them in stock before the "scheduled" 9th of January?
    Cheers,
    Alan,

(oh, and when do these places open up again after the christmas break?)

I reckon that you may as well hang on- at very least you'll save on the shipping with Expansys over and above most websites. As far as I know they re-open on the 2nd (could be wrong). All in all, its annoying, but Asus never should have taken orders they were not in a position to fulfill. Then again- how were they to know it would take off in the way it did.

smccarrick wrote: »
    I reckon that you may as well hang on- at very least you'll save on the shipping with Expansys over and above most websites. As far as I know they re-open on the 2nd (could be wrong). All in all, its annoying, but Asus never should have taken orders they were not in a position to fulfill. Then again- how were they to know it would take off in the way it did.

Cheers, i'll leave it so, hopefully they'll get them in stock as scheduled.
    Thanks again,
    Alan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Why is everyone buying from Expansys when Laptopsdirect is cheaper?

• Advertisement

Dman001 wrote:
    Why is everyone buying from Expansys when Laptopsdirect is cheaper?

Its about 6 Euro cheaper (for the PC701- which is the only one Expansys sells, they don't sell the 2Gb version at all). From prior experiences with both companies, 6 Euro is a very small price to pay for the service Expansys offers- esp. as their delivery is by DHL.

S.

I was looking at 2GB one. Is the 4GB one better value?

Dman001 wrote:
    I was looking at 2GB one. Is the 4GB one better value?

Just had a look at the two websites- Expansys is now quoting the 4Gb white PC701 one at 324.95 which is actually cheaper than the laptopsdirect PC701 one at 343.85

So- expansys is actually fully 20 quid cheaper even when you factor in shipping.

Personally I wouldn't even consider the 2Gb one- as if you're using it at all, your Firefox cache would have to be refreshed at unusually frequent intervals. 2Gb is very very small for an SSD device.

S.

Can the eeepc play web flash videos?

Dman001 wrote: »
    Can the eeepc play web flash videos?

it sure can

Is it worth installing Windows onto it?

• Advertisement

Dman001 wrote:
    Is it worth installing Windows onto it?

The screen size isn't a standard windows supported size- but there is no reason that Windows wouldn't be installed- Asus are starting to ship them with XP after all. Some of the user forums are worried about Windows lowering the life of the SSD- but its hypothetical tbh. You can download a programme for cutting out the bloat from XP if you'd like to upgrade it yourself (and the installation CD has all the Windows drivers- so you're sorted).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Any ideas where i could buy a charger for one, going over to us next week and can pick one up for around 200 euro, I assume asus warrenty is international?Also how do you going about mounting an ex hard drive?

Any ideas where i could buy a charger for one, going over to us next week and can pick one up for around 200 euro, I assume asus warrenty is international?Also how do you going about mounting an ex hard drive?

Any universal DC Power adaptor will do. It runs off 9.5 volts DC and has a bog standard narrow adaptor head. You can pick one up in Peats or Maplins for about 20 quid.

Shane

I have an order on the eeepc with expansys, and have been waiting for 5 or 6 weeks, how have they not gotten any into stock when laptops direct have gotten two shipments in? There are some in stock at the moment with laptops direct, i'm so tempted to cancel my expansys order, i mean it's just getting ridiculous!

I have an order on the eeepc with expansys, and have been waiting for 5 or 6 weeks, how have they not gotten any into stock when laptops direct have gotten two shipments in? There are some in stock at the moment with laptops direct, i'm so tempted to cancel my expansys order, i mean it's just getting ridiculous!

Its annoying- but its a reflection of how much these are in demand more than anything else. Personally I stuck with Expansys- from prior experience with Laptopsdirect, I'd be very hesitant doing business with them again, irrespective of whether they have them in stock or not. I think Expansys are quoting the 9th of January for their next expected shipment?

• Advertisement
Advertisement