Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Asus EEE-PC

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

swingking wrote: »
    I'm using an asus 900 with the standard battery. Does anyone know where you can get the better 6 cell batteries for the asus eee pcs

I got a 10400 battery off ebay for my 701. They are supposed to be the same batteries for the 90x and 70x series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Lads I'm about to order a 901 from Clove.co.uk

Has anyone dealt with them before?? Are they reliable? Its around €380 including delivery to my mate in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Trotter, I got my 901 from them. Found them excellent. Delivery was very fast - posted on Monday in the UK, had it in my hands by lunchtime on Wednesday. They were a little more expensive than some other places, but they actually had stock when other places were fobbing people off with delay after delay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Hi folks.

Considering an eee 1000 laptop due to travelling with work and such. I come home every month or so and move around with work every so often. As a result I use a 17inch dell monster so I can still have reasonable portability and game but its a real pita to bring anywhere. So I'm thinking about one of these machines to be able to pop it in the back pack.

Is there a reason there is still high interest in the 900 series other then the price? Also my main query really is would you go with the 40Gb SSD or the 80Gb regular HDD. Any thoughts?

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

The SSD is probably marginally faster but unlike the Hard disk is not so easily upgradeable. SSD would also be lighter than having the hard-disk in the machine. So if portability is premium maybe the 40Gb SSD version. I got the HD version as I plan on putting a much bigger drive into the machine. I've already upgraded the ram.

Highly recommended as a portable machine. Good for most types of work I've found, even as a dev machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Woden wrote: »

Is there a reason there is still high interest in the 900 series other then the price? Also my main query really is would you go with the 40Gb SSD or the 80Gb regular HDD. Any thoughts?

EEE 901 is more portable and has better battery life, hence the high interest.

The ssds used in EEEpcs are pretty slow and the battery life difference between them and the 80gb is negligible. I'd go with the 80gb regular hdd.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

If you're using it on the move- the SSD obviously has no moving parts......? Size isn't really an issue one way or the other- you can always use removable storage or cards to bump up capacity if necessary........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Elara: Kin

Trotter wrote: »
    The 901 Linux has gone up €8 on Elara by the looks of it. Its over the €400 mark now!

Those prices are generated off the supplier prices, when they are bought for stock the pice will be adjusted. You can see that the EEEs in stock are much cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

got my advent 4211 today, there are none of the problems that some people here have posted about. Getting it setup now and will have good look around it and post back a biot about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

My 901 has been giving me a lot of trouble. I'm sorry to say it but I'm beginning to think I would not recommend this to anyone, particularly the Linux version as it is very buggy. With Linux, I didn't expect it to be perfect and everything to run smoothly, but after all this version is specifically designed for the EEE and is being marketed as such.

I have had countless crashes, some programs won't run at all and now the laptop does not recognise my battery so it only works on AC power!

And then this happens, this funky font change occurs randomly in firefox without me doing anything it’s a pain :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

swingking wrote: »
    I'm using an asus 900 with the standard battery. Does anyone know where you can get the better 6 cell batteries for the asus eee pcs
    Maxburns on Batchelors walk off O'Connell St have larger capacity batteries for the 900, about e55. Got one, only drawback is that they are a larger size than the standard one and the laptop will only open about 110 degree which I find not enough at times. The 900 will have difficulty fitting into the Jansport K935 shoulder bag which normally suits this laptop perfectly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

brilliant thanks for the info

Edit: Any idea what the specs on these batteries are

spideog7 wrote: »
    My 901 has been giving me a lot of trouble. I'm sorry to say it but I'm beginning to think I would not recommend this to anyone, particularly the Linux version as it is very buggy. With Linux, I didn't expect it to be perfect and everything to run smoothly, but after all this version is specifically designed for the EEE and is being marketed as such.

I have had countless crashes, some programs won't run at all and now the laptop does not recognise my battery so it only works on AC power!

And then this happens, this funky font change occurs randomly in firefox without me doing anything it’s a pain :(

I would check the diagnostics out on this. Sounds very odd that your battery is not being recognised at all. If the battery is dead it would be covered under warranty. I have had to send back two Eee 900s due to faults so far. You may just be unlucky and have some fault. Best bet might be to back up anything you want off the laptop and do a factory reset to see if the battery is recognised. It just sounds a bit odd to be honest.

Just ordered a black 1000, xp, 80gb hdd from clove. Hopefully have it when I return home next weekend \o/

Cheers for the feedback guys.

If its in stock it should arrive within 3 working days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Have had the advent 4211 now a few days and finding it very good so far. The size of it is really perfect to be honest. Browsing the net is no problem and its a good viewing size and the keyboard feels great, the keys are solid and I havent had a lot of keys mis-hit so far, only a few.

Havent really checked the battery life yet as its been on the mains so far all the time. I am going to try pick up a 6-cell battery for it now in the next few months so if anyone knows a good place to get one let me know.

Ive put openoffice and AVG free on it and they are running well. The start up and shut down are very good, alot faster than my dell laptop with vista.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Looking at getting a 1000H (and putting OSX on it..), where'd be the best place to buy it from? Either brick 'n' mortar store or online, no preference. Cheers

I can't believe I killed this thread with one post..

Gah. Anyway, this has probably been posted already, but there is a comprehensive guide on EEEuser.com that shows how to fix the keyboard 'flex' issue found in many EEE's.

http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=39113

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭dazberry

My MSI Wind arrived from Komplett today :D. As its the international version its supplied with a US keyboard configuration and I think it has the lower capacity battery - but never the less I'm very impressed - its a very usable machine for its size.

D.

My 901 Linux arrived today. I have to say.. I cannot stand the linux end of it. Its awful, and the standard way of fixing everything from any message boards needs a masters in linux.

Can I buy a version of XP for the EEE PC?

• Advertisement

My 901 Linux arrived today. I have to say.. I cannot stand the linux end of it. Its awful, and the standard way of fixing everything from any message boards needs a masters in linux.

Can I buy a version of XP for the EEE PC?

I would hurry if you are thinking of getting copies of legit XPs, they are officially not sold anymore so stocks are doing to dwindle down.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I'm very curious about what the 901 edition of Xandros is like because the 701 I found to be as intuitive as a mobile phone interface.

Regarding XP, you'll struggle to buy a copy outright at the moment - you may be able to buy a licence for XP Home somehow but it's unlikely as Microsoft officially retired XP as a product at the end of June. Your best bet may be to buy one of the higher-end copies of Vista if you can get it with downgrade rights (though I'm not sure if you can do this with standalone licences rather than preinstalled ones).

Kin Mak wrote: »
    I would hurry if you are thinking of getting copies of legit XPs, they are officially not sold anymore so stocks are doing to dwindle down.

Any idea where I could buy one?

I've retired my old laptop, cant I use the XP home disk I had with that?

Fysh wrote: »
    I'm very curious about what the 901 edition of Xandros is like because the 701 I found to be as intuitive as a mobile phone interface.

Regarding XP, you'll struggle to buy a copy outright at the moment - you may be able to buy a licence for XP Home somehow but it's unlikely as Microsoft officially retired XP as a product at the end of June. Your best bet may be to buy one of the higher-end copies of Vista if you can get it with downgrade rights (though I'm not sure if you can do this with standalone licences rather than preinstalled ones).

You can't downgrade retail/OEM versions of Vista.

We can still get XP OEM as we still use them on our system builds. Not sure for how much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Tricked

After months of reading this thread I'm going to take the plunge and get a black linux 901. Should I be taking other options like buying extra memory, getting XP instead...etc?

Also is komplett still the best for price?

Tricked wrote: »
    After months of reading this thread I'm going to take the plunge and get a black linux 901. Should I be taking other options like buying extra memory, getting XP instead...etc?

Also is komplett still the best for price?

Do Komplett even have the 901s? We got our stock of EEE PC 901 Linux Black in this week and they are already sold out. We had them for €373.89.

We can still get XP OEM as we still use them on our system builds. Not sure for how much longer.

Can I not use my own XP home disk though for the laptop that this EEE PC replaced? Its too old to use anymore and its going in the bin.

Can I not use my own XP home disk though for the laptop that this EEE PC replaced? Its too old to use anymore and its going in the bin.

Doubt it, usually the key is locked to the manufacturer.

The place you bought it off should be able to legally sell you a copy of XP OEM.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I didn't mean to literally downgrade from Vista to XP, but Dell among others have been providing Vista Business & Ultimate with optional downgrade rights under which you also get a copy of the XP Pro installation media and a working installation key.

Technically there's nothing I'm aware of to stop someone trying to run through an installation using an XP Home disc provided as a recovery disc with another computer (assuming that it's a full installation disc and not a hardware-specific image prepared with something like RIPrep) but it is in breach of the licence, since the OEM OS licence is non-transferable in terms of the hardware it's used on.

I didn't mean to literally downgrade from Vista to XP, but Dell among others have been providing Vista Business & Ultimate with optional downgrade rights under which you also get a copy of the XP Pro installation media and a working installation key.

Technically there's nothing I'm aware of to stop someone trying to run through an installation using an XP Home disc provided as a recovery disc with another computer (assuming that it's a full installation disc and not a hardware-specific image prepared with something like RIPrep) but it is in breach of the licence, since the OEM OS licence is non-transferable in terms of the hardware it's used on.

Yes but the downgrade disks are hardware locked and from what I know only manufacturer specific keys can be used on the manufacturer specific XP and Vista versions. Someone correct me if I am wrong but all the different installations we have done have suggested that.

• Advertisement

Emailed clove.co.uk in relation to my order yesterday to get the tracking number. They replied politely that the stock was due in today and would ship.

Somewhat annoyed. As it was in limited stock on their website when I ordered (which was related to why I ordered there in the first place). Will mail in the morning hopefully it has shipped.

Ah here.. this thing is useless to me. The linux on it just isnt for someone without serious expertise and confidence with linux.

I think I'll keep all the boxes and bits and bobs that are still sealed and just sell it for as much as I can.

If its the 6cell battery one, with 2gb ram.. I might take it off ya!

Ah here.. this thing is useless to me. The linux on it just isnt for someone without serious expertise and confidence with linux.

I think I'll keep all the boxes and bits and bobs that are still sealed and just sell it for as much as I can.

Funny I've had the opposite reaction from various people who have one and aren't all that techy. It seems to be simple enough for a lot of people but too simple for the linux heads. You could maybe try ubuntu as I think its an easier OS in many ways than Xandros linux but thats another story.

You could also install XP onto it if you want but obviously you will need an xp disc of some kind and a usb stick. Might be a bit tricky. The guide below is just one example, a bit of googling will turn up more. If you up the ram you should be able to run vista as well.

http://www.eeeguides.com/2007/12/this-tutorial-will-show-you-how-to-slim.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Conrad_M

Hi all, I'm new here

I've been following this great thread for months. I originally wanted Eee 701, then held out for 900, then 901... always a better one around the corner, and even the existing ones are hard to get hold of.

Spotted the Acer Aspire One in Beyond 2000 in Dublin the other day for €299 and picked it up. Specs not hectic but in keeping with basic netbook philosophy - 8Gb, Linux, nice 8.9" screen, webcam (0.3 Mpix but fine for Skype). Register gives it a good review.

Guy in the shop says they're selling like gangbusters and he hasn't shifted any Asus Eee's since the Aspires came in a couple of weeks back. Admittedly he only had the 701 for €299 or the 900 for €399 (no 901s till September), but the Acer's keyboard is noticeably bigger than the Asus.

After a couple of days i'm pretty happy with it. Dinky screen is a bit of a shock to the system, and customising the Linux will no doubt be a pain, so maybe the 10" MSI Wind or its variants in XP could be worth the few extra bob.

Conrad_M wrote: »
    Guy in the shop says they're selling like gangbusters and he hasn't shifted any Asus Eee's since the Aspires came in a couple of weeks back. Admittedly he only had the 701 for €299 or the 900 for €399 (no 901s till September), but the Acer's keyboard is noticeably bigger than the Asus.

He'd need to be borderline retarded to be genuinely surprised at the fact that people will buy a superior product over an inferior one for the same price. I've a 701 and I'm very happy with it, but if I were looking at the market now as a new buyer, the Aspire One would blow the 701 out of the water unless there was a significant price difference. The 901 could compete if it were the same price, but it's not. And the 900 is the Windows ME of netbooks, really.

What's the on-board linux installation like? I've been tinkering happily with Xandros since I got my 701 but have to admit that even the untinkered version is pretty good, and that seems to be less common than it should be so far...

Heh Trotter, I found the Linux preinstalled on the Eee 901 to be too restrictive for my needs, and I'm mostly a windows head. You could always install Windows XP on it if you have a copy spare? Might be a bit awkward without a cdrom drive though but its doable.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Stephen wrote: »
    Heh Trotter, I found the Linux preinstalled on the Eee 901 to be too restrictive for my needs, and I'm mostly a windows head. You could always install Windows XP on it if you have a copy spare? Might be a bit awkward without a cdrom drive though but its doable.

I dual boot mine with Ubuntu and XP Pro (Lite in the case of XP and with the min install in the case of Ubuntu). Its a bit of a bitch getting the camera and the network card working in Ubuntu- but at least there are a few tutorials online now that weren't there a few months ago.

There are options........

Did you keep yours??

I've decided to sell mine. It just doesn't suit my "expertise". Its on adverts.ie for anyone who's interested.

• Advertisement

Yep. I just wiped it and put Ubuntu on it.

Yep. I just wiped it and put Ubuntu on it.

Are you using full-on Ubuntu or EeeBuntu? I've been thinking about trying a few alterative OS's out, assuming I can get them to boot from an SD card or something. I've tried this with Fedora 9 and EeeDora, both of which seem to run quite well (although I haven't put them through their paces yet).

How's the wireless on Ubuntu, actually? Reasonably straightforward or painful?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Conrad_M

What's the on-board linux installation like? I've been tinkering happily with Xandros since I got my 701 but have to admit that even the untinkered version is pretty good, and that seems to be less common than it should be so far...

Fysh, the Aspire uses "Linpus Linux Lite" - it's got a bog-simple GUI with internet, office, games sections clearly boxed off (similar to Eee I suppose) and which I can't complain about, but I don't know enough about Linux to know whether this is a good or dud distribution. The pain factor for me will be figuring out how to do Windows-style basics I've always taken for granted like downloading / installing new stuff - like Google Gears for Google Docs & Spreadsheets, which I think would suit a netbook better than the OpenOffice that comes installed. Or who knows, maybe it'll be fun finding out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

hey guys my bro is in singapore and he sent me these prices ? are they much cheaer then ireland ?

Acer atom 1.6ghz 120gb hdd and 8.9 screen = 746 sig = 370euro

asus eee, 1.6ghz 80gb hdd 10 inch screen = 829 sig = 410euro

awhir wrote: »
    asus eee, 1.6ghz 80gb hdd 10 inch screen = 829 sig = 410euro

That's the Asus EEE 1000H, it's around 450 on Irish websites - elara.ie/dabs.ie - so it's cheaper but not much.

Fysh, I'm using the normal Ubuntu 8.04. A lot of the hardware does not work by default, including both the wired NIC and the wireless. Full instructions on how to get everything working are here:

http://wiki.eeeuser.com/hardy_on_eee901

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Tricked

Just saw the 901 today and it does seem really small. At this stage im thinking of the 1000. Does anyone have one of these? Disregarding the price, 1 hour less battery life on the 1000 and less portability are there any big differences between the 901 and the 1000? And last but not least elara and dabs websites says they will be in stock this week, is this usually reliable?

Sorry for so many questions in the same post!

My 1000H arrived yesterday. Overall good service from clove.co.uk made up for the annoyance from not actually being in stock on order. Shipped on tues and arrived on thurs via citylink.

First impressions are good keyboard will take a wee bit of getting used to. Should tick all the boxes of what I require from it. Look forward to not carrying around a 4kg machine. Happy days.

The 1000h works nicely for my needs and I found the keyboard much easier to use than the EEE 900. It has a more natural feel and you don't have to think about what you're doing so much.

An interesting bit of news from the reg. Looks like the first EEE with Vista...
    Nice looking machine if they get the price right. Looks like a successor to the 1000h only with a lot more features.

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/08/22/asus_n10_revealed/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

Are you using full-on Ubuntu or EeeBuntu? I've been thinking about trying a few alterative OS's out, assuming I can get them to boot from an SD card or something. I've tried this with Fedora 9 and EeeDora, both of which seem to run quite well (although I haven't put them through their paces yet).

How's the wireless on Ubuntu, actually? Reasonably straightforward or painful?

I've put "Ubuntu eee" on mine and really like it. Tried Mandriva before that but found that still quite buggy. Nothing painful in Ubuntu eee yet though they are just about to launch an update (which will require a fresh install) so I'd hold sway til that is out (should be literally in a day or two) and then give it a go.

Check out the news etc here: http://www.ubuntu-eee.com/index.php5?title=Main_Page

Big advantage is that it is Ubuntu designed specifically for eee, particularly the GUI, with nice small fonts used etc. Good selection of software on the default install and wireless works perfectly without adjustment, though the keyboards function keys don't. Lots of little things are earmared to be cleared up (I'm not sure if they will fix the function keys on this update though) plus they claim the new version will have significantly faster boot up time which I'm looking forward to.

machalla wrote: »
    The 1000h works nicely for my needs and I found the keyboard much easier to use than the EEE 900. It has a more natural feel and you don't have to think about what you're doing so much.

An interesting bit of news from the reg. Looks like the first EEE with Vista...
    Nice looking machine if they get the price right. Looks like a successor to the 1000h only with a lot more features.

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/08/22/asus_n10_revealed/

Looks disappointing. Gimicky finger scanner and HDMI are the "good" things, horrible looks [even more so than the 1000H] are the downside. It has the same processor, and both the RAM and HDD in the 1000H are easily upgradable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement