Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Asus EEE-PC

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Physical switch for wireless, maybe better speakers. I think it looks great. Much nicer than current offerings. If the price isn't different from the 1000h I would take this over it anytime. Apart from vista..

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Tricked

Just got a 1000H and am very impressed. Just a couple of concerns though. The mouse is a tedad dodgey and seems to flick up and down at times, has anyone experienced this? Also the main thing is the noise of the fan. Did anyone nottice a loudish hum? It only happens when the laptop is horizontal. I'm not sure if it was like this at the beginning which it worrying! Just wondering in case this is unique and I should bring it back

I'd appreciate any advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Tricked wrote: »
    Just got a 1000H and am very impressed. Just a couple of concerns though. The mouse is a tedad dodgey and seems to flick up and down at times, has anyone experienced this? Also the main thing is the noise of the fan. Did anyone nottice a loudish hum? It only happens when the laptop is horizontal. I'm not sure if it was like this at the beginning which it worrying! Just wondering in case this is unique and I should bring it back

Reading on the EEEuser forum it doesn't seem like the 1000H has any loud sound at all, I think you should get that checked out if it really is an issue. Where did you buy it from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

pixmania are now doing the 701 2g surf for €189 which looks like a good price if you wanted just something cheap and portable to compliment a home PC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Had mine about 2 or 3 weeks now I think and trackpad is fine unless you mean when you are doing the two finger scrolling (how durty does that sound :p). Then it can go a little weird with the page scrolling back up. With regards that it is just a matter of getting used to your position on the pad itself and making sure to lift both fingers at the same time.

With regards the fan? Mine is as quiet as a mouse as far as I'm aware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I am using the 900 with an external USB sim modem, its a pain in the ass because i have to have this thing with a cable hanging out of it all the time. Just wondering is there any internal PCIE sim card adapter availible? I am uising a 4Gig model with 8gb PCIE chip and also a SD16GB card. I can sacrafice the 8gb PCIE card if i have to for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Tricked

Baza210 wrote: »
    Reading on the EEEuser forum it doesn't seem like the 1000H has any loud sound at all, I think you should get that checked out if it really is an issue. Where did you buy it from?

Yeah It's not all that loud now actually. I got it in Peats in Blanch, their last one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭JAMM222

Yeah It's not all that loud now actually. I got it in Peats in Blanch, their last one

do you mind me asking how much you paid for it i can buy the 1000h for 440 off elara is there any better price than this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

I am using the 900 with an external USB sim modem, its a pain in the ass because i have to have this thing with a cable hanging out of it all the time. Just wondering is there any internal PCIE sim card adapter availible? I am uising a 4Gig model with 8gb PCIE chip and also a SD16GB card. I can sacrafice the 8gb PCIE card if i have to for this.
    Looks difficult, but it's certainly possible on the 900 at least (though it means sacrificing one of the SSDs), not sure how/if it'd work on the 4g but it could be doable.

Presumably if it's a USB modem, some of the internal USB hacks could be amended to work with it, finding room inside the case for the unit could be a problem though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭biologikal

I know what you're saying, I was kinda waiting for a netbook to come along that would have 3G integrated, but since the orientation of the modem can make a big difference to signal reception (in my experience), I'm wondering whether it's worth the effort/wait; maybe not, especially if you have to move or tilt the laptop to get a good signal, unless the netbook will have some kind of directional antenna when 3G is supported. If the 900 is to be used around the house, maybe a wireless router would be a better solution? Use in the field/mobile, maybe some sticky-backed Velcro and an adjustable length USB cable would do the job?

I've seen some hacks, and you'd want to be fairly confident in your soldering skills to do it correctly. One stray peice of solder or slip of the iron, and you might be left with something to recycle. Having said that, the touch-screen hack looks like a worthwhile addition, and would be something I'd attempt.

• Advertisement

Actually I just thought of another method which would be to do the bluetooth hack, which looks far easier (and cheaper), and then just use your phone as a bluetooth modem to connect to the web. Phone can stay in the pocket and there'll be no annoying usb cables or dongles hanging off the lappy.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭sian

Actually I just thought of another method which would be to do the bluetooth hack, which looks far easier (and cheaper), and then just use your phone as a bluetooth modem to connect to the web. Phone can stay in the pocket and there'll be no annoying usb cables or dongles hanging off the lappy.

Just to say, I did that once. PROCEED WITH HUGE CAUTION/DON'T DO IT/RUN, RUN AWAY. I was only checking mails and it ran up an absolutely unspeakable, unrepeatable bill within 3 weeks. I get the willies just thinkin about it now. I had to ring up my phone company and say that no one in their right mind would pay that much for the internet and if the charging/billing system had been properly explained to me when I first enquired (which it wasn't), i simply never would have used it as an internet connection, ever. There's absolutely no way I would have been able to afford paying it.

NB with my phone company at that time, the charges for using your phone as a modem for your laptop (whopping) and simply using the internet application on your phone itself (reasonableish) are TOTALLY DIFFERENT. I assume it's the same now, but dunno

So.... if you are gonna do that, make sure you get a very clear, printed/emailed breakdown of the charges for using your mobile as an internet modem sent to you personally directly from the company. Read it carefully, and IF it looks ok, SAVE that letter/email so you have it as a back up to fight your case if you get landed with a ginormous bill. It would probably be much cheaper to get a usb modem from Vodafone (think they're cheapest) but I didn't read the rest of the thread so dunno if that will suit you.

I hope no one ends up in the situation i was in. Trust me, scary. And i was very lucky to get out of it. They don't seem to warn you that the cost is so astronomical when you enquire about it.

Ooh, sounds like you had a tough time of it alright.

And yeah, I'd recommend at least having a data plan like 3's tenner a month for 1g or something. Vodafone, meteor, and O2 have similar plans on their billpay I think also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭JAMM222

anyone know where i can buy the 1000h at the lowest price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭jimogr

No price yet but this is the MSI Wind - right?
    http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/2867_6877.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

jimogr wrote: »
    No price yet but this is the MSI Wind - right?
    http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/2867_6877.htm

Ay, i believe it is, i love the 16GB Atom processor they have in it! Well, i must keep an eye out for it, i'm on the lookout for a new netbook, the 7" eee i have is getting a tad annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭savemejebus

yep it is, with 3 year warranty :)

Time to ring aldi and let them know the price of the advent 4211 :) so that they can compete

I've ordered myself a Black 1000H, 160GB Seagate Momentus 5400.4 and 2GB Crucial DDR2 RAM. The order for the 1000H and HDD was put in Friday afternoon on Elara.ie, so I'm hoping it'll arrive tomorrow. Wednesday's probably a more realistic expectation though..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

yep it is, with 3 year warranty :)

Time to ring aldi and let them know the price of the advent 4211 :) so that they can compete

I'm pretty sure the medion has a 6 cell battery. Can't remember where I heard that though.

• Advertisement

The one in germany was 3 cell i think http://www.umpcportal.com/2008/07/akoya-mini-first-impressions-not-ultra-mobile-near-perfect/

Unless the Aldi one is pretty cheap i think i might hold out for the 8.9" Wind U90 - I think it actually looks nicer than the 10" model

http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/31/msis-8-9-inch-wind-u90-in-the-flesh-linux-version-shipping-for/

The one in germany was 3 cell i think http://www.umpcportal.com/2008/07/akoya-mini-first-impressions-not-ultra-mobile-near-perfect/

Unless the Aldi one is pretty cheap i think i might hold out for the 8.9" Wind U90 - I think it actually looks nicer than the 10" model

http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/31/msis-8-9-inch-wind-u90-in-the-flesh-linux-version-shipping-for/

8.9" screen on a 10.2" screen's chassis? Death by bezel.

msi-u90-002.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Yep, it's a 3 cell I was getting muddled up a bit. This has draft n, no bluetooth and .3mp camera, the wind has wifi g, bluetooth and 1.3mp camera.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

hey, Im thinking about getting the 1000h w/Xp for internet/Messenger use/Collage use instead of my desktop as I use it for recording and internet complicated things.

How does it hold up with multi-tasking? Hows the wi-fi on it? and any problems had?

dave.

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    hey, Im thinking about getting the 1000h w/Xp for internet/Messenger use/Collage use instead of my desktop as I use it for recording and internet complicated things.

How does it hold up with multi-tasking? Hows the wi-fi on it? and any problems had?

dave.

I suppose it depends on what you mean by multitasking, if that's say, web browser and a pdf reader at the same time, then i'd say you're fine. Or web and music at the same time.

^ya nothing extreame at all, just maybe media player, Msn and web browser.

• Advertisement

Yep, it's a 3 cell I was getting muddled up a bit. This has draft n, no bluetooth and .3mp camera, the wind has wifi g, bluetooth and 1.3mp camera.

3 cell battery is pretty crap... it will be at least €399 as was the price in Europe when Aldi sold it there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

Picked up the Sapphire version of this in Currys in Santry for €269 - have to say its a nice little machine - only gripe is the mouse button arrangement on the trackpad - I can understand the positioning but they are very narrow.

Got my N95 working with it as a tethered modem so happy days for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Conrad_M

Aldi must have left the phone off the hook. They're looking for €399 for the Medion. Last I saw, the Advent was €379 in PC World. Not obvious from the blurb, or from the link to the Medion website, whether the Aldi battery is definitely 6 cell, but if so this would justify the price differential.

well I rang them just after i'd posted that. The lady i was talking to seemed surprised that PC world were selling them at that price and said that she 'hoped' aldi would price it "competitively" and would look into it.

I guess she didn't look too far :(

Ordered my 1000h xp in black =D
    cant wait for it to arrive, was playing away with one in currys today!

• Advertisement

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    Ordered my 1000h xp in black =D
    cant wait for it to arrive, was playing away with one in currys today!

They have them in Curry's? Aw crap, I could've actually tried one out before buying mine..
    Well, I'm hoping it'll be delivered within the next 12 hours or so, so there's not much I can do about it now..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Most Asus 900s have 4+8=12GB (XP) or 4+16=20GB(LInux) where the 4GB is fast SSD memory on the mainboard and the rest is much slower memory on an add-on board.

Asus are shipping a version that just has the slow 16GB board in it. (both XP and LInux). Its as slow as me arse. Avoid.

Baza210 wrote: »
    They have them in Curry's? Aw crap, I could've actually tried one out before buying mine..
    Well, I'm hoping it'll be delivered within the next 12 hours or so, so there's not much I can do about it now..

Yup, all the range nearly. The 1000 ran very smooth I must say. My main worry was the screen and keyboard. But the keyboard is perfect size for my girlish hands and the screen is a nice size and good quality imo.

Dell have jumped on the 9" PC bandwagon, interesting to see what they will come up with on Thursdays announcement.

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSN0251134620080903

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

Be worth keeping an eye on the new Google Chrome browser. It isn't out for Linux yet but when it is, due to it's extremely simple and clean UI, it could be an excellent option for use with EEE PCs etc

Im flogging my EEEPC 900 and want to format it back to original factory settings, is there a quick reset method as found on PDA's or do I have to re install the original support DVD that came with this machine through an external DVD RW?

Where can I get the EEEPC 901 or MSI WIND over the counter in Dublin?

press F9 on the bios splash screen and you get a system restore option. This lets you put the machine back to factory settings.

press F9 on the bios splash screen and you get a system restore option. This lets you put the machine back to factory settings.
    Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Advent 4211 IS MSI Wind...Available widely in PC Worlds for 379 or 399 in the other usual suspects Dixons/Currys/DID ....Highly recommended .Check up on my posts in EEE thread for one or two issues resolved.

ytareh wrote: »
    Advent 4211 IS MSI Wind...Available widely in PC Worlds for 379 or 399 in the other usual suspects Dixons/Currys/DID ....Highly recommended .Check up on my posts in EEE thread for one or two issues resolved.
    Just reading, the Wind or Advent 4211 dose not support SDHC :mad:

• Advertisement

ytareh wrote: »
    Dixons and Currys are owned by the same company as PC World. The advent should be the same price in all three.

Dixons and Currys are owned by the same company as PC World. The advent should be the same price in all three.

That's what i thought too, was in dixons in the Jervis centre and it was 399, very strange.

That's what i thought too, was in dixons in the Jervis centre and it was 399, very strange.
    Just tell them when you are buying it that pc world have it for €369, they should price match it.

So the Dell mini has launched and tbh i don't see it competing with either the eee models or the wind at €399

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/laptop-inspiron-9?c=ie&cs=ieepp1&l=en&s=dhs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TakeTheVeil

Well its 369 + 30 for shipping so if you get a free shipping coupon, it brings it down.

Specs

BASE Inspiron mini 9 – (UK, 3)
    OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition
    HARDWARE SUPPORT 1Yr Limited Warranty - Collect & Return
    WEBCAM Integrated 1.3MP Camera
    LCD 8.9" WSVGA (WLED) Truelife Display
    PROCESSOR Intel ® Atom™ Processor N270 (1.60GHz, 533MHz, 512K cache)
    MEMORY 1024MB 533MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM
    HARD DRIVE 16GB Solid State Hard Drive
    GRAPHICS CARD Integrated Intel® Graphic Media Accelerator 950
    WIRELESS CONNECTIVITY Dell 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Mini-Card
    BLUETOOTH Dell Integrated Bluetooth Wireless card
    PRIMARY BATTERY 4-cell 2200AHr Battery

Well its 369 + 30 for shipping so if you get a free shipping coupon, it brings it down.

Specs

BASE Inspiron mini 9 – (UK, 3)
    OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition
    HARDWARE SUPPORT 1Yr Limited Warranty - Collect & Return
    WEBCAM Integrated 1.3MP Camera
    LCD 8.9" WSVGA (WLED) Truelife Display
    PROCESSOR Intel ® Atom™ Processor N270 (1.60GHz, 533MHz, 512K cache)
    MEMORY 1024MB 533MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM
    HARD DRIVE 16GB Solid State Hard Drive
    GRAPHICS CARD Integrated Intel® Graphic Media Accelerator 950
    WIRELESS CONNECTIVITY Dell 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Mini-Card
    BLUETOOTH Dell Integrated Bluetooth Wireless card
    PRIMARY BATTERY 4-cell 2200AHr Battery

So basically its just a badge engineered 901. :confused:

Any mention of it supporting SDHC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 elewton

I talked to a Dell representative, and she told me that the battery lasted 2-2.5 hours.

Since it doesn't have an Expresscard slot, Wireless-N or anything over the EEE PC 1000, I guess it's off the list.

To the guy who got the 1000H with 2 GB of RAM. Where did you get that?

I purchased a 900 with XP but my brother got his 900 wilh Linux. He dosn't like Linux. Is it possible to use my original XP installation disk and load up XP on his machine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yes but it won't be legal unless you pay for another windows XP licence.

• Advertisement

Stephen wrote: »
    Yes but it won't be legal unless you pay for another windows XP licence.
    An licence for XP Home Premium wouid be half the value of the EEEPC :eek:
    Surely they could do a deal :confused:

Advertisement