Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Asus EEE-PC

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

elewton wrote: »
    I talked to a Dell representative, and she told me that the battery lasted 2-2.5 hours.

Since it doesn't have an Expresscard slot, Wireless-N or anything over the EEE PC 1000, I guess it's off the list.

To the guy who got the 1000H with 2 GB of RAM. Where did you get that?

I can't actually find the post you're referring to, but I have 2GB of RAM in my 1000H by virtue of installing a 2GB stick myself ;)

Here's the one I bought

I also bought a Seagate Momentus 5400.4 160GB. It's louder than the 5400.3 that was already in it, which is disappointing. The .3 was inaudible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I bought a 1000 Linux model a couple of weeks ago - the one with the 8 + 32GB SSD. I didn't like the Xandros Linux, and I plan to put Ubuntu on it eventually, but I put XP Pro on it to see how it performs, and it's OK.

I knew about the two different SSD speeds, and can see some difference, but it honestly doesn't seem to be a problem. The 32GB SSD is where I put bulk data (MP3s etc.) and some big applications (e.g MS Office 2007), so I don't need blazing performance there. The lack of heat and noise, compared to an 80GB HDD, makes up for the lower size, and I don't have to be careful about moving it around while running.

I just need more RAM, because I'm running with no swapfile at all, and have run against the 1GB barrier a couple of times. Otherwise, I really like it. Screen is planty big enough if you''re careful e.g. use full screen modes in Firefox or Acrobat Reader. Battery life is excellent - 5+ hours with WiFi on. Standby works great - battery dropped just 5% when I left it overnight, and it comes back really quickly, so no need to lose a GB on a hibernation file. Wish the slipcase was thicker; I'd like a Zeroshock case, but the right size (11.1") is hard to find.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Im curious to know what type of hdds are used in the larger capacity sub notebooks that are using mechanical drives. Are they 2 1/2 " standard SATA drives?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

The MSI wind/4211/akoya use a 1.8" SATA drive. I presume the competition is the same.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It would depend on the model. I'd say the acer aspire one, msi wind and eeepc 900 series and 1000 series are using 2.5" satas. That means you can add your own hard drive up to 320GBs.

@Alan - The msi definitely uses a 2.5" drive.

• Advertisement

Jaesus, i'm gettin everything wrong these days:o:o, right you are almighty.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You're getting old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭poreilly101

Thinking about purchasing an Acer one running linux, Will i be able to use my Voda Broadband USB modem with this machine seeing that it is running Linux?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Thinking about purchasing an Acer one running linux, Will i be able to use my Voda Broadband USB modem with this machine seeing that it is running Linux?

You can definitely use them on the Eees. Not sure about the acer linux version. If not there is a vodafone 3g driver project linked below which may or may not work. I had to do some fiddling to get it working on the Eee if I remember correctly.

https://forge.betavine.net/projects/vodafonemobilec/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭Peter Walczak

Have any one of you tried these small machines on the run? When actually travelling? I tend to buy one, most likely the 4211 and use it while commuting on the bus. I'd like to go through websites, do some messaging etc. I have 3 bill phone that I can use as a modem.
    Can you confirm or deny it's a good idea?
    I'm coming from Portlaoise N7 to Dublin. I have no problems with the phone's reception (in terms of talking, never tried the Internet).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Have any one of you tried these small machines on the run? When actually travelling? I tend to buy one, most likely the 4211 and use it while commuting on the bus. I'd like to go through websites, do some messaging etc. I have 3 bill phone that I can use as a modem.
    Can you confirm or deny it's a good idea?
    I'm coming from Portlaoise N7 to Dublin. I have no problems with the phone's reception (in terms of talking, never tried the Internet).

I'm up and down to Portlaoise fairly regularly. Being able to talk on the phone does not equal having a reasonable internet connection (and indeed between Monasterevin and Kildare and again after the Curragh- you´ll be doing well to get a reasonable connection at all).

I got an extended battery for an eeepc from ebay (the 1200 mAh one) its good for well over 4 hours use (longer depending on what you're doing).

S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭JAMM222

price drop on the 1000h i wonder will we ever see the savings over here
    http://www.engadget.com/2008/09/09/eee-pc-1000h-price-plummets-to-449/

People still don't know about the EEEPC, I just came back from spending a few days in London. I decided check emails etc on my 901 and avail of the 240V socket over a few coffees at Mc Donald’s at Liverpool St Station. The amount of enquiries from business men about the device was something else and the fact that it was only £300, I could have sold it many times over.

People still don't know about the EEEPC, I just came back from spending a few days in London. I decided check emails etc on my 901 and avail of the 240V socket over a few coffees at Mc Donald’s at Liverpool St Station. The amount of enquiries from business men about the device was something else and the fact that it was only £300, I could have sold it many times over.

so so true, people were looking at me with my dad's Acer Aspire in college today as if I was a mutant!

These things will start selling like crazy with a couple of well placed advertisements. I think I'll contact ASUS directly and offer my services.

I don't think the 1000H is small enough to get that much attention.. but what you lose in impressiveness you gain in usability :)
    Maybe I've just gotten used to the size of it now.. my iMac's 15" screen seems enormous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Memory C have started advertising replacement SSDs for the eee pc's. 64 gigs works out at about 200 euro http://www.memoryc.com/products/description/64GB_MyDigitalSSD_PCI_Express_PCI_e_SSD_for_ASUS_EEE_PC_900-901-903-905-1000/index.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Memory C have started advertising replacement SSDs for the eee pc's. 64 gigs works out at about 200 euro http://www.memoryc.com/products/description/64GB_MyDigitalSSD_PCI_Express_PCI_e_SSD_for_ASUS_EEE_PC_900-901-903-905-1000/index.html

Apparently SLC are the fast ones and MLC are relatively slow (but cheaper)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Got my 1000h for 300 euro :)

Thanks for helping me make my decision.

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Got my 1000h for 300 euro :)

Thanks for helping me make my decision.

=O

Mine cost me 450 about a week ago!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Where did you get an EEE 1000 for 300 euro???

Well the 1000H has dropped to $450 USD, so perhaps Thirdfox bought & brought back one from the USA - $450 = E322.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

I'm actually staying in the US for the year so yep that's what happened...only I changed the dollars over when it was 1.57 for 1 euro (1.40 now) so the 462 dollars delivered = 300 euro :)

News just out - the 160gb version will be available for 50 dollars more apparently. But I don't care, 80gb is good enough for a netbook this size (if I want to upgrade I'll get the whole hog 320gb upgrade!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭stev2604

Hey, I don't know much about EEE-PC's, but is this a good deal?

It seems good to me, but I can't be sure. Also, I'd mainly be using it in college, which says I need a "802.1x compliant wireless network card", would this EEE-PC have that?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

The 900 has a much shorter battery life (1-2 hrs vs 3-5 ish for the 901)Also its got an older tech cpu (although the 900MHz(?) cpu isnt THAT much slower than the newer 1600 Atom ...just uses a lot more 'juice'Id want to be buying a 900 at very little over 200 at this stage to be honest (brand new maybe MIGHT push it out to 250...)The 7 inch ones have died ...down to 120-150 ish here on adverts ...900s will be next to go...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

This might be of interest to 4211/wind owners, there is a 9-cell 7800mAh in development. http://www.lionbattery.com/news.php?nonews=50 Price works out around 95 euro though. Out mid October. No idea of how heavy it will be either.

stev2604 wrote: »
    Hey, I don't know much about EEE-PC's, but is this a good deal?

It seems good to me, but I can't be sure. Also, I'd mainly be using it in college, which says I need a "802.1x compliant wireless network card", would this EEE-PC have that?

Thanks.

It has 802.11b/g so it's compliant. Whether I would recommend it or not, that I can't say. It's one of the derivative models, not one of the main laptops. That's to say, it's got the EEE 1000H's chassis, but the 901's screen. I would stretch for the 1000H if you could, the 10" screen is small enough on the 1000H without going down to 9..and if you do want a 9" screen then you might as well have a smaller chassis for portablity, hence the 901. 1000's keyboard is more usable though, so that's a pro for the 904 over the 901.

I'm rambling..

Edit: That Elara page seems to be a bit muddled up. It claims to be a 900, yet the catalogue code says it's a 904HD. I would clarify with Elara about this before making any purchase..

ytareh wrote: »
    The 900 has a much shorter battery life (1-2 hrs vs 3-5 ish for the 901)Also its got an older tech cpu (although the 900MHz(?) cpu isnt THAT much slower than the newer 1600 Atom ...just uses a lot more 'juice'Id want to be buying a 900 at very little over 200 at this stage to be honest (brand new maybe MIGHT push it out to 250...)The 7 inch ones have died ...down to 120-150 ish here on adverts ...900s will be next to go...
    These things depreciate worse than anything in the motor trade. I have gone through three already in the last two months. First the 7" which I paid e330 moved it on for e250 two weeks later, then the 900 which I paid e400 and moved it on for e300 now the 901 which I got for £300 in the uK. I am settled with the 901 which is an excellent PC compared to the former two in terms of battery life and performance. (Unless anyone comes up with a built in 3G sim card version with 40 gigs+ of SDD )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 shamama

PC World has an insert in the Indo, 904H for €359. Worth it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Elara: Kin

shamama wrote: »
    PC World has an insert in the Indo, 904H for €359. Worth it?

904s are good if you need the HD space. Otherwise the 901s with the Atom processor is a better choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

These things depreciate worse than anything in the motor trade.

Computers have been that way pretty much since the beginning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 shamama

Thanks, didn't know the dif between 901 & 904 (not tech-y enough :) Elara.ie has 901 in stock and for €375 and Misco.ie has it at €373 but delivery is €3 less so comes to the same thing but with Elara it can be collected so no shipping fee. Hm, something to think about...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

eVeNtInE wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I have the Advent 4211 but having no luck getting the 6 cell battery.

Anyone know if/when/where these are available?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Can anyone recommend why I should NOT get this laptop?

ASUSTEK - EEE PC900, White, Mobile, Linux, 8.9" (1024 X 600), 1GB RAM, 16GB SSD, 802.11AGN, 0.99Kg

I will be using it for surfing the web. I am happy with linux. I will only be storing some MP3's, photos and my CV. Nothing massive.

Should I get the 901 instead?

If battery and bluetooth aren't important to you then go for it. I had one of these and got only 1.5 hours battery (screen at 50% wifi on) and if the fan hadn't gone wonky i'd still have it, just would have upgraded the battery.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Thank you.

Is Elara the cheapest?

AARRRGH wrote: »
    Thank you.

Is Elara the cheapest?

The best anyway. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭Peter Walczak

Gandalf23 wrote: »
    I have the Advent 4211 but having no luck getting the 6 cell battery. Anyone know if/when/where these are available?

If Advent 4211 is the same as Akoya E1210, there is this UK website that offers some accessories.

Regards.

i don't think it's on the english medion site, but it is on the German. €99 though :(http://tinyurl.com/4nzely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Just some feedback.

Very pleased after using the 1000 after a month or so. Had a trip home last weekend and it was great to have something so portable that only took up half the tray table on the flight! Performance is fine for what I throw at it. irc+browser+media. I even launched WoW on the thing though I wouldn't want to be doing anything to serious in it!

Only thing that bothers me is the audio I find it quite low even at max either on speakers or headphones.

• Advertisement

Woden wrote: »
    Only thing that bothers me is the audio I find it quite low even at max either on speakers or headphones.

Is that in general or just for flash video, ie YouTube?
    I've had trouble with volume in online videos, but find the volume to be perfectly adequate for stuff I've downloaded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

In general I have to say. I would agree that it is adequate. Just doesn't have much oomph!

I agree that you can't really use it in an environment that isn't near silent, but if you really do need to use it in a loud area I'd advise you to get some sound isolating headphones :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭skibum

I have a 900, which lasted 2 days before the power supply blew, the shop it was bought from says I have to contact ASUS to organise a replacement. I filled out the on line warranty page and it saif that I would be contacted with in 48hours, that was last wednesday....... just spent the last hour trying to get through to their warranty number (00 44 870 1208340)

basically all I want to know is it possible to buy a power supply for the 900 from a shop in Dublin, or do I have to wait for God knows how long for ASUS to sort me out. Currently my eee is an expensive paper weight.

skibum wrote: »
    I have a 900, which lasted 2 days before the power supply blew, the shop it was bought from says I have to contact ASUS to organise a replacement. I filled out the on line warranty page and it saif that I would be contacted with in 48hours, that was last wednesday.......

basically all I want to know is it possible to buy a power supply for the 900 from a shop in Dublin, or do I have to wait for God knows how long for ASUS to sort me out. Currently my eee is an expensive paper weight.

I had to deal with Asus there about 3 weeks ago and got the mail back. They sent me out a ups label and i organised a pickup of my 701. After 10 days i received my eee back...but the problem hadn't been fixed...so i got in contact with them again, and they made me complete that online form to which i'v been waiting for a reply for 3/4 days...it sucks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

skibum wrote: »
    I have a 900, which lasted 2 days before the power supply blew, the shop it was bought from says I have to contact ASUS to organise a replacement. I filled out the on line warranty page and it saif that I would be contacted with in 48hours, that was last wednesday....... just spent the last hour trying to get through to their warranty number (00 44 870 1208340)

The shop you bought it from should offer to replace or refund your purchase. Don't take that nonsense from them. If the goods were faulty on purchase it is up to them to rectify it for you. This is the case whether you bought it online or in a bricks and mortar shop.

Thats absolute rubbish they are telling you and they know it. It sounds like the kind of thing Laptopsdirect would try (and tried with me).

No idea on the replacement power supply unfortunately.

Official returns policy on the EEE PCs is a straight swap out within the first 30 days, after 30 days they get repaired by Asus. The shop should not force you to deal with Asus though if you don't want to.

We do ask customers to put through a return with Asus as we are online and it negates another person in the middle but if the customer does not want to we will do it for them.

Is this awesome, [y/n]?

mcek3l.png

eh.....no....:P

;_;

• Advertisement
Advertisement