Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Asus EEE-PC

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Orson Scott Card is pretty awesome though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Baza210 wrote: »
    ;_;

What you should have had on the top was:
    Eeeat me!

Or maybe "I'm going to Eeeat you!"

Smudgy fingerprints ftw by the way :)

I have a 1000h and here are my tips:

eeectl is a programme to regulate fan speed (if it's too noisy)

Keytweak is a programme to change the up arrow and right shift key around (I've also replaced right ctrl and context key with home and end)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Orson Scott Card is pretty awesome though...

beat me too it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Woden wrote: »
    beat me too it!

Unfortunately he's a bit of a bible-bashing jerk besides being a great author.

"too = också", "to = till, att". ; )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

FYI: Very cheap big battery for Asus EEE 700 - 900 available from DealExtreme. (Well regarded in the Bargains Alert forum)

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15973

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

FYI: Very cheap big battery for Asus EEE 700 - 900 available from DealExtreme. (Well regarded in the Bargains Alert forum)

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15973
    No white one then?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Right,
    I have read a whole lot of this thread but can't seem to find the soloution to my problem.
    Basically I have an Eee-Pc 900 linux and it's working grand with Wi-Fi
    However I want to be able to use my phone/pda as a modem for it.
    I have tried usung a bluetooth dongle but teh Eee pc does not pick it up.
    I have tried using a cable but no joy there either.

Does anyone know of a soloution apart from hard modding it to include a bluetooth module?
    If not would I just be better off getting a 901 which has bluetooth?

Cheers

Mik

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I've a Vodafone Huaweii USB 3G modem working on Linux on mine, with no probs whatsoever. When you say you've had problems with a cable- what do you mean? Obviously- if you are using a regular phone as a modem, you will need to have the appropriate drivers to use it as a modem under Linux?

smccarrick wrote: »
    I've a Vodafone Huaweii USB 3G modem working on Linux on mine, with no probs whatsoever. When you say you've had problems with a cable- what do you mean? Obviously- if you are using a regular phone as a modem, you will need to have the appropriate drivers to use it as a modem under Linux?

Yeah, I'm unsure where to get the correct drivers, or if they are even avaiable.
    I'm using a Windows Mobile 6.1 PDA

• Advertisement

You would have to contact the manufacturer of the PDA (or have a good hunt on the internet and on the manufacturers website) to see if drivers are available.

A USB modem only costs EUR40 or 50- if you whack a ready-to-go SIM in it, its less than EUR2 a day for up to 20Mb (not a lot, but enough to get you out of trouble?)- thats what I did.

I was using a SonyEricsson phone and had great probs using it as a modem on the EEEPC, which is why I went down the road of getting a dedicated USB modem.

Hmmm.. Thanks for that.
    I have been looking for drivers on the net but no joy.
    The USB modem seems like an option all right I'll check it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

got around 300 euro to spend on an eee, will take linux if its cheaper on the same machine. what and where should i buy as im pretty clueless on net books,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭savemejebus

When this comes into stock it'll be the best value machine in your price range imho
    http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=MMEB995073&productID=

Atom processor, gig of ram, wifi, 0.3mp webcam & 4 hour battery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

Hi Guys, what do you think of Dells mini 9 ??

Im really thinking hard about getting a UMPC but not sure which one..Theres something about the EEE and WIND that I just dont like..Mini 9 on the other and looks nice..

Im thinking about adding a high capacity SD card to it and stripping down windows all the extra like services etc..

My 2 cents:

mini 9 vs eee 901 = 901 as winner due to better battery life, more storage (linux version), cheaper. Only con here would be the 901 keyboard
    mini 9 vs advent 4211 (msi wind) = wind as winner due to more storage, bigger screen, cheaper, better keyboard.
    mini 9 vs eee 900a = 900a (probably fairest fight spec wise) 900a as winner as it's more than €100 cheaper

Don't get me wrong, the mini 9 is nice but I just can't see the point of it at it's current price point. It is just €100 too expensive.

• Advertisement

I'd have to agree- the Dell is a lovely little machine- but its just overpriced at current levels. In the US its only $99 if you buy it with an XPS. If they started a few offerings like that here- they'd shift shedloads......

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'd have to agree- the Dell is a lovely little machine- but its just overpriced at current levels. In the US its only $99 if you buy it with an XPS. If they started a few offerings like that here- they'd shift shedloads......
    Exactly. If I was buying an xps and I had the option to get one of those for €100 I would definitely be buying one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

When this comes into stock it'll be the best value machine in your price range imho
    http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=MMEB995073&productID=

Atom processor, gig of ram, wifi, 0.3mp webcam & 4 hour battery

Please correct me if I am wrong but I think that one has all 16GB on the PCIE SSD card which is very slow and no fast SSD at all on the main board. Write speed in particular is apparently very slow and really screws up any program that needs caching (or similar)

Watch out for any 16GB 900s or 900As.

See this review:-
    http://jkkmobile.blogspot.com/2008/09/asus-eee-pc-900a-review.html

Please correct me if I am wrong but I think that one has all 16GB on the PCIE SSD card which is very slow and no fast SSD at all on the main board. Write speed in particular is apparently very slow and really screws up any program that needs caching (or similar)

Watch out for any 16GB 900s or 900As.

See this review:-
    http://jkkmobile.blogspot.com/2008/09/asus-eee-pc-900a-review.html

Yep there is only one ssd in the 900a and it is slower than the primary 'boot' ssds in the 901 and 1000 models but they are all over the budget that the weeder mentioned. Also the slowness is 'supposedly' only an issue with XP, if you're running linux it should be ok.

At the 300 euro mark you're generally talking the discontinued 900, a 512mb aspire one or the 900a and i think the 900a tips the scales here, even with a slower ssd.

Also, as you'll have seen from JKKs other reviews the ssd in the 900a is easily upgradeable. i may be wrong but I think one of his reviews mentions that he's using the 900a with an upgraded ssd (slc) as his main portable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

The only problem with the 901 is its size.

I'm after misplacing it somewhere in my car/home/work and I can't find it now...

Balls.

• Advertisement

Teferi wrote: »
    The only problem with the 901 is its size.

I'm after misplacing it somewhere in my car/home/work and I can't find it now...

Balls.

Lol- my wife managed to get hers down the back of the couch.....

Its the backup batteries that I keep misplacing (I got 3 of the 10,400 mAH batteries).

S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭skibum

Anybody know where I can buy a power supply for the Eee-pc 900?
    Thanks

skibum wrote: »
    Anybody know where I can buy a power supply for the Eee-pc 900?
    Thanks

They're about Sterling £14/£15, incl. of shipping on ebay (no idea of quality). You can't get them local.

Example here

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Elara: Kin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Anyone else find that the little blue light on the charger for the Eee machines is way too bright?

Had mine charging in my bedroom last night and it lit the whole room up...

Anyone else find that the little blue light on the charger for the Eee machines is way too bright?

Yep. Its the same reason I tossed a sky box out of the bedroom and went back to an older one without blue diodes.....

They're about Sterling £14/£15, incl. of shipping on ebay (no idea of quality). You can't get them local.

Example here

S.

Thanks for the link, what are the chances of this wrecking my EEE?
    I'm getting f*c*ed around by asus regarding replacing my power supply, the bloody thing has been sitting on my desk for almost 3 weeks now, and I still havn't received the courier details to send it back to them :(

Had the exact same problem the other day. EEE PC charging away, an external hard drive plugged into the Desktop for some overnight downloads and a bluetooth adapter in the keyboard backing up photos from my phone.

Woke up during the night to see blue lights EVERYWHERE!!!

skibum wrote: »
    Thanks for the link, what are the chances of this wrecking my EEE?
    I'm getting f*c*ed around by asus regarding replacing my power supply, the bloody thing has been sitting on my desk for almost 3 weeks now, and I still havn't received the courier details to send it back to them :(

If the powersupply is fried there really is no economic reason to send it back to them- the courier will cost 3 or 4 times what the PSU would have done.

Regarding this powersupply and whether you'll fry your machine with it- its unlikely to fry it, but as with anything it is a chance you have to take. Everything else being equal it shouldn't be an issue.

If the powersupply is fried there really is no economic reason to send it back to them- the courier will cost 3 or 4 times what the PSU would have done.

Regarding this powersupply and whether you'll fry your machine with it- its unlikely to fry it, but as with anything it is a chance you have to take. Everything else being equal it shouldn't be an issue.

The way asus is "dealing" with my dead power supply issue is that they send out labels in the post, I box up the faulty power supply "in accordance with the instructions supplied", a courier will then call to collect the adapter, asus will then check it, and then send out a replacement. How many more weeks will that take...... I just want to use my eee-pc.

I might bite the bullet and order one of those supplies, usually only takes about a week for me to receive items from Hong Kong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Actually they are quite quick with that sort of thing, sent off my eee pc for repairs and it was back in 10 days from day of collection...the only problem was that they didn't fix the problem. So i had to send it off again, that was half an hour ago, here's hoping second time lucky!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

There is an easy way around that problem, turn the blue light down facing the floor or wrap tape around it.

My charger packed in the other day as I thought, I.e. Blue light not working and not showing up on PC. I had it ready to send back to the UK but decided to check 13AMP fuse in plug in case. Sure enough, Now working again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

There is an easy way around that problem, turn the blue light down facing the floor or wrap tape around it.

My charger packed in the other day as I thought, I.e. Blue light not working and not showing up on PC. I had it ready to send back to the UK but decided to check 13AMP fuse in plug in case. Sure enough, Now working again.

I wouldn't "wrap" too much tape around it, the adaptor gets hot enough as it is. Try just covering the LED with a small bit of blutak.

Baza210 wrote: »
    Try just covering the LED with a small bit of blutak.

But it's blue enough already. At this rate the place'll look bluer than a pair of Levis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

I'd be tempted to desolder the LED and just patch it with a bit of wire..bit extreme!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Small Phillips head screwdriver, add knock of hammer and no more blue light....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Couldn't just stick some ductape over it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Good post.

I'm gonna try his method for FF3 later. Much neater than updating the GTK.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Article in the Irish Times on the EEE PC 901 and it recons more will be buying into this market with the way the credit crunch is heading. It recommends the 901 above the rest.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2008/1010/1223560344135.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

Is anyone still in stock of the 1000h's (160gb)? Looking to pick one up but it seems everywhere is out of stock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

This seems to be a good price for the 900

http://www.ibood.com/site/eu/ibood.php

[Link only valid for today 10-Oct-2008]

JackieChan wrote: »
    This seems to be a good price for the 900

http://www.ibood.com/site/eu/ibood.php

[Link only valid for today 10-Oct-2008]

Don't worry- its 279 everywhere now.
    Link to it on Pixmania here

S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,203 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Its around €275 inc delivary for a white one on dabs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I've loaded ubuntu eee via an SD card onto my 1000. Looks and runs nicely.

• Advertisement

Its around €275 inc delivary for a white one on dabs

The one on dabs has a smaller SSD hard-drive (16Gb as opposed to 20Gb)

S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

I wouldnt buy a netbook for a month or two there are some beauties coming out from ASUS including a gaming " N10 " (799US dollars with 9300M GT gpu?) and a designer (Sex and the City style!) " S101 " (same price as an E1000? ). Other offerings on the way from Samsung , HP and ...well everybody ! All dearer however -seem to be losing the original philosophy of small and cheap...turning into cheaper versions of the old 12" luxury / business market ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

ytareh wrote: »
    I wouldnt buy a netbook for a month or two there are some beauties coming out from ASUS including a gaming " N10 " (799US dollars with 9300M GT gpu?) and a designer (Sex and the City style!) " S101 " (same price as an E1000? ). Other offerings on the way from Samsung , HP and ...well everybody ! All dearer however -seem to be losing the original philosophy of small and cheap...turning into cheaper versions of the old 12" luxury / business market ...

I'm not too sure whether all these up and coming netbooks will be worth the wait tbh, i mean they all seem to be incarnates of each other, with minor tweaks here and there. The N10 seems tasty, but it's still limited by the atom 1.6Ghz cpu despite it's graphics card etc. And she's pricey too! Well i suppose if what you're after is something a bit more substantial spec wise but still light and small then waiting could be an idea!

Well i suppose if what you're after is something a bit more substantial spec wise but still light and small then waiting could be an idea!

Bah humbug.....
    Its crippled with the Atom processor- the 900Mhz Celeron even outperforms it at some tasks.
    If you want something here and now- Samsung have a few nice machines- or even Dell (rip-off merchants) have some decent enough XPSs.

The dual-core Atom has now been delayed to Q3 '09 (as reflected in the Asus roadmap) so you need to ask yourself- is it worth waiting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I'm thinking of picking up a netbook over in the us myself but from what I've seen there's not that big a savings to be made by buying over there.

/shakes fist a euro v dollar.

do any of the asus netbooks have dvd drives? How can you load a diff OS if needs be?

• Advertisement
Advertisement