Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Asus EEE-PC

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

kaimera wrote: »
    do any of the asus netbooks have dvd drives? How can you load a diff OS if needs be?
    You could try this,Linky Im sure there many more guides also..

I looked at the Maplin netbook in store the other day. I wasn't really that impressed with it tbh. I think im gonna go with an eee pc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Anyone having problems registering for their online space?? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Has the Dell mini inspiron been mentioned already in this threa or is that a seperate thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

*Kol* wrote: »
    Has the Dell mini inspiron been mentioned already in this threa or is that a seperate thread?

There's a separate thread flying around here somewhere, just give it a search.

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Anyone having problems registering for their online space?? :(

Got this sorted. If there's an i or o in the code then they've to be in upper case. All other letters are to be in lower case.

spideog7 wrote: »
    My 901 has been giving me a lot of trouble. I'm sorry to say it but I'm beginning to think I would not recommend this to anyone, particularly the Linux version as it is very buggy. With Linux, I didn't expect it to be perfect and everything to run smoothly, but after all this version is specifically designed for the EEE and is being marketed as such.

I have had countless crashes, some programs won't run at all and now the laptop does not recognise my battery so it only works on AC power!

And then this happens, this funky font change occurs randomly in firefox without me doing anything it’s a pain :(

I was having that font change problem as well and has taken me a few days to figure out what it is. If you press shift and spacebar at the same time it changes the font.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Have you by any chance installed some other languages (Chinese/Japanese etc.)? I ask this because I use the Chinese language input (something you switch into with ctrl space) and then you can select doublebyte or single byte via shift space).

I think it's supposed to make pictograph characters more legible.

I've made a fresh install of Ubuntu eee. Pretty happy with the performance of it.

There's a few things you need to be aware of. The camera is actually disabled in the BIOS so that needs to be changed. Apparently Xandros just ignores that and uses the camera anyway! :p

It doesn't auto mount SD cards so you should follow the guide here. It worked for me straight away.

My wireless at home is screwed so I'm going over to a friends soon to see if that is working, probably not but I'm sure there's a fix out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

Anyone know if the power supply that comes with US 1000h is 110-240V compatible (only needs 3-pin adapter instead of a 100V transformer)??

It is compatible - I have the US version. To be honest most modern power plants are 110-240 compliant (I haven't seen one that isn't in over 10 years now).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The plug that I got with my 701 does not even need a pin adapter, you can just pull off th UK style pins and it becomes a US two pin plug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭stev2604

Would this be a good option for basic internet browsing and typing while at college?

Also what kind of battery life would I get from it? I'd be hoping for about 3-4 hours out of it.

I have the 1000h model (in fact I'm using it to type this message right now) - got it for 300 euro (in the US).

I'm a law student so I take plenty of notes and it's perfect for that. Battery life (with wi-fi off) is around 7 hours when note taking.

Wi-fi on would get you around 5+ hours.

The low energy processor is slow compared to modern standards but you can still play Halo 1 on it (near the lowest settings of course). For day to day stuff it is fine (HD video is a no no though).

Wow, that's some very impressive battery life you're getting there!

I downloaded a programme called "notebook batteryinfo" which tells you your battery drain (amongst lots of other info - including battery wear) and see how many milli-watts the thing is sucking out of the battery at any particular time.

Everything at max I can hit 20 mW and at an absolute minimum (though backlight is one up from lowest setting) I draw around 6.8-7.2 mW. But that is using the machine for note taking only (minimum cpu use, minimum harddrive use).

Turn on wifi - it goes to 10mW - watch a video and it is 13mW.

And something else to consider - the power brick is very small and light (unlike some true bricks I've seen - Xbox anyone?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

My Ubuntu boot is screwed, so once Intrepid RC comes out I'm installing that, provided adamm's got a kernel that works the same magic as Hardy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Baza210 wrote: »
    My Ubuntu boot is screwed, so once Intrepid RC comes out I'm installing that, provided adamm's got a kernel that works the same magic as Hardy.

eh???

and people wonder how and why Microsoft made billions...

tallpaul wrote: »
    eh???

and people wonder how and why Microsoft made billions...

It's my fault for screwing around in the hardware support folder blindly..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

I hope this uis the right place to post, didn't know if I should start a new thread

i was thinking about buying an Asus EEE, and have read through many of the posts here

have a pc and a m1330 but I am often travelling by foot when away on breaks/business, visiting my mum etc so was thinking of getting one so i would actual have web access (where available) and do some notes, journals etc at the time rather than later on the pc

so can I ask
    i was gonna go for the 40GB SSD, if I am travelling with it I think SS makes more sense than 80g Hard drive ???

Will i be able to open and edit word, excel or similar

Would it be best to get XP on it or Linux ? I've never uses linux as an OS but am pen to which is most versatile

I'd also like some of diary option like Outlook where I can record class times ( tutoring and study ) etc

and I was going for the 10in over the 9 as I would be using it more than some maybe for input.

Finally , say for travelling I could put my music, avis etc on flash drive and run off those to keep space frr on the 40gb ?

sorry if some of these questions seem silly, I am farely clued in believe or not, just don't want to spend money and it not do what I need

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

i was gonna go for the 40GB SSD, if I am travelling with it I think SS makes more sense than 80g Hard drive ???
    It will be lighter, so probably a better option for carrying, plus 40gb is loads and you can always supplement it with USBs or external HDDs when necessary.
    Will i be able to open and edit word, excel or similar
    XP version will support MS Office just like any other PC, and the Linux version ships with Openoffice.org which supports all MS office documents so either case you're grand.
    Would it be best to get XP on it or Linux ? I've never uses linux as an OS but am pen to which is most versatile
    If you're already used to windows, it'll probably be the easier option for you because there's a bit of a learning curve to linux especially if you're only using the EEE when out and about. Having a PC at home running on linux will get you more familiar with it quicker.

I'd suggest getting the linux version as it's cheaper and then installing XP on it yourself. 40gb ssd will leave you plenty of room post install to dual boot it with Linux at a later stage.
    I'd also like some of diary option like Outlook where I can record class times ( tutoring and study ) etc
    I'm fairly sure the Linux OS it comes with has a calender, diary thingy in it.
    and I was going for the 10in over the 9 as I would be using it more than some maybe for input.
    Good choice, I have the 900 and sometimes the keyboard can be just little on the small side.
    Finally , say for travelling I could put my music, avis etc on flash drive and run off those to keep space frr on the 40gb ?
    Yep, that'll work fine. I use a 250gb WD Passport (handy as it doesn't need an additional power supply) for my extra media, but with USBs getting as large and cheap as they are they'll probably do you grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭savemejebus

I was actually in this position and in the end i pre-ordered the Samsung NC10. The keyboard, battery and price point were what really swung it for me. I would have liked SSD but at the end of the day the 160gb regular hdd was too tempting.

Just bought a 901 (linux 20g) this week as I'm heading away travelling for the year very soon. Anyways, plugged in my ipod nano (3rd gen? ie the 'fat' one launched last year) to charge it up. Disconnected the ipod from the machine with seemingly no problems after it had been fully charged.

Then, tried to play some songs on the nano, but all my music is gone?!

WTF? Looked at a few forums and seems as though this has happened to a few others as well. Something about DRM from apple that doesn't allow ipods to be synced with other players apart from itunes.

Is my ipod bricked now? Severely pissed off at the moment.

Try the portable media player forum, no doubt someone over there has had the same issue.

I'll move it for ya/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

It will be lighter, so probably a better option for carrying, plus 40gb is loads and you can always supplement it with USBs or external HDDs when necessary.......

Yep, that'll work fine. I use a 250gb WD Passport (handy as it doesn't need an additional power supply) for my extra media, but with USBs getting as large and cheap as they are they'll probably do you grand.

Very much appreciated - thanks

1 last thing , will office not be fairly big size wise on the hard drive , and/or outlook

I'm tempted to try linux but as i'd be travelling hither and tether I like the fact I've some grasp of windows if there is any problems

thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

The Asus 1000H comes with Star office (Open Office) installed and is fine once you go into options and sort out what you want your default save files as. It is a little slower to open than Word but who cares really.

• Advertisement

Microsoft Office works fine and doesn't take up much space at all on my 1000H. Whoever it was that said the Linux version is cheaper, you're wrong sorry. Yes, Linux is a free operating system, but the more expensive SSD technology of the 40GB HDD supersedes the saving.

Also, in the 1000H [ie the normal Windows XP model, the Linux one is just called a 1000], it is easy to upgrade to a new harddrive as it supports typical 2.5" SATA Harddrives. The 1000's case is slightly slimmer due to its solid state drive, and thus you cannot put in a larger HDD should you decide that 40GB isn't enough for your needs.

My 1000H currently has a 160GB HDD and 2GB of RAM. I love it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Seriously- don't let hard-drive capacity be a deciding factor.
    I've one of the original 701s dual booting with XP and Ubuntu.
    I've supplemented the 4Gb SSD with a 32Gb SD Card and use a slim removable 250Gb Hard-drive for music/tv etc.

Of more importance would be battery life- XP being harder on batteries than Linux, depending on your usage, it wouldn't be unusual to get between 20-30 minutes more between charges under Linux.

If you are looking at this longterm- XP makes far more writes/rewrites to the SSD than Linux- potentially limiting its lifespan (this is a more longterm thing though).

If I were in your position- I'd go for the higher capacity SSD with Linux than the Hard-drive based XP one. Boot time is faster, battery life is better and its more stable. Each to themselves though.

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Screw it...depending on the price I see in the US next week I might pick up a *nix ssd version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Cool, finally got my big fatass battery from DealExteme (black battery with a white EEE doesn't actually look that bad) Lasts an age - don't know exactly how much of an age as I haven't timed it fully but after an hour and a half it's only on 80%. The drop-off rate does appear to increase after this though...

smccarrick wrote: »
    Of more importance would be battery life- XP being harder on batteries than Linux, depending on your usage, it wouldn't be unusual to get between 20-30 minutes more between charges under Linux.

If you are looking at this longterm- XP makes far more writes/rewrites to the SSD than Linux- potentially limiting its lifespan (this is a more longterm thing though).

If I were in your position- I'd go for the higher capacity SSD with Linux than the Hard-drive based XP one. Boot time is faster, battery life is better and its more stable. Each to themselves though.

Assuming we are dealing with the Eee 1000/H, which seems the most sensible option, I'd like to address two of your assertions.

1. First off, the Linux on the Eee is fairly crap. You'll probably be wanting to replace it with Ubuntu or one of the more mainstream distros. This is easy enough, even for someone with no Linux experience - like moi-même. Ubuntu actually uses more battery life than Windows XP, as it accesses the harddrive more than XP does.

2. The SSD is a lower capacity. 40GB SSD, 80GB HDD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Wikipedia lists an 8G 702 Eee PC but Asus' own website doesn't have any information on it and it's not listed on Expansys or Komplett - was it recalled or not yet released or..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭KStaford

Is there any store in Galway where I can actually go and touch/lift/type etc the 1000/H before deciding ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

Pc world have them along with the 904, 901, 900 and 701. They have the advent 4211 and Acer Aspire one also

I've been seeing 1000Hs in store windows all around Cork and Dublin so I would be very surprised if there wasn't somewhere you could road test one in Galway.

richieg wrote: »
    Pc world have them along with the 904, 901, 900 and 701. They have the advent 4211 and Acer Aspire one also

Yeah, I gather PCW carry them but I have never actually seen the Eee's instore. They never had any on display in Sligo anyways when I used to live there, still I suppose its worth a look in Galway tomorrow

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

KStaford wrote: »
    Yeah, I gather PCW carry them but I have never actually seen the Eee's instore. They never had any on display in Sligo anyways when I used to live there, still I suppose its worth a look in Galway tomorrow
    They are out on display in Sligo store now. They have their own display which I think all pc world stores have to use. Unfortunately the display is just a centimetre or so too small to hold the 1000 series (fits the advent 4211 fine though) so they may not be out. If you can't see them ask one of the sales guys can you have a look at one.

Went into PCW, Galway this morning. It was a useful exercise. They had a few eee's on display including the 1000H.

I was immediately surprised at how small 10"WS actually is. I had imagined something a bit more generous.

When I lifted the 1000H up in my hand I was amazed at how light it was. Then I realised it was without battery (gets me everytime). A member of staff got the battery for me and put it in. The weight wa substantially increased.

I left the store unimpressed I have to say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

Did the same myself today. Surprised how small the keys are on the EEE 701 and 900 series. For what they are intended for i think the 1000 is too big. i like the size an keyboard of the Aspire One or the Advent 4211

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Keep in mind that this battery is heavy because it's a high capacity one.
    Went into PCW, Galway this morning. It was a useful exercise. They had a few eee's on display including the 1000H.

I was immediately surprised at how small 10"WS actually is. I had imagined something a bit more generous.

When I lifted the 1000H up in my hand I was amazed at how light it was. Then I realised it was without battery (gets me everytime). A member of staff got the battery for me and put it in. The weight wa substantially increased.

I left the store unimpressed I have to say

The battery lasts around 7 hours for me (for pure college note taking). So in effect - 4 hours of noting taking and around an hour of surfing the net is possible on one charge :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

I'm thinking of buy a 1000. There are two questions I have though if anyone could answer them I'd really appreciate it.

1) Are there slots to add additional ssd cards from increased capacity?

2) There would be no problem in connecting an external disc drive to run cds and play games such as Red Alert 2/Football Manager, the atom should be able to handle it yes?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Don't know about the first question but you should have no problem using an external disc drive.

Brimmy wrote: »
    I'm thinking of buy a 1000. There are two questions I have though if anyone could answer them I'd really appreciate it.

2) There would be no problem in connecting an external disc drive to run cds and play games such as Red Alert 2/Football Manager, the atom should be able to handle it yes?

1) SSD, I don't think so; SD, yes.
    2) Nope, no problems.
    You get used to it. I'm the opposite now, 13" screens seem generous, 15" pointlessly large and 17" laptops seem like carrying around a fridge with you. The great thing about the Eee is it doesn't need its own bag for you to bring it with you - I just chuck mine in its pouch into my bag with all my books and pads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Brimmy wrote: »

You can buy bigger memory to replace the existing memory chip. Only one of them can be removed if I recall correctly though as the other is soldered to the board. Sorry I don't have links, it was on the register a couple of weeks back.

I picked up an external dvd writer the other day to use with the Eee, no bother at all. I'm not running anything off the drive but I burnt a couple of test dvds and it was fine, even on battery power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Cool, finally got my big fatass battery from DealExteme (black battery with a white EEE doesn't actually look that bad) Lasts an age - don't know exactly how much of an age as I haven't timed it fully but after an hour and a half it's only on 80%. The drop-off rate does appear to increase after this though...
    Good to hear this, think I'll order one of them myself, was worried about the black on white though.

Is it much heavier with the big battery?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭wittymoniker

anyone have any strong oppions on the asus s101? thinking of getting one but am a bit behind the curve when it comes to all things computerised, basicly need to travel with it so fancied the size and solid state drive. how is linux to operate?

cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭skibum

Finally got my replacement power supply for my EeePC from asus, 6 weeks after my inital contact with them :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 707 ✭✭✭deevey

Just got an "interesting" piece of news from a friend in the Philippines who was going to buy an EEE yesterday, and while they had plenty of them in stock (she was playing round with one) the staff, in a rather large retailer, advised her against it ..because......... "the new dual core atom version is due to be in stock in 2 weeks, I'd wait if you can" :eek:

Its not like a retailers staff to be giving advice like this and miss a sale + commission... especially not over there where the wages are bad enough.... 2nd November was the date they gave

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

deevey wrote: »
    Just got an "interesting" piece of news from a friend in the Philippines who was going to buy an EEE yesterday, and while they had plenty of them in stock (she was playing round with one) the staff, in a rather large retailer, advised her against it ..because......... "the new dual core atom version is due to be in stock in 2 weeks, I'd wait if you can" :eek:

Its not like a retailers staff to be giving advice like this and miss a sale + commission... especially not over there where the wages are bad enough.... 2nd November was the date they gave

Take it with a grain of salt- the Intel roadmap shows it being delayed to Q2 2009.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Tricked

I got a 1000H about 2 months ago but the mouse seems to be dodgey. If i rest the cursor over something it has a tendancy to flick in a random direction. Anyone experienced this? I got it in Peats so I think I'll bring it back there and see what happens, the problem is rectified if a use an external mouse btw and I have tried changing the sensitivity settings of the mouse.

Advertisement