Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Asus EEE-PC

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Haven't experienced that problem, but touchpads act up if there is any moisture on them / your fingers are sweaty, might that be causing it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Was any body tempted to go with an Acer One and why did you choose the Eee PC in the end? MSI would be in the running also I guess only there's no SSD issue.

Also, I wish Asus kept the original 701 matt finish and logo on the newer black Eees.

LA3G wrote: »
    Was any body tempted to go with an Acer One and why did you choose the Eee PC in the end? MSI would be in the running also I guess only there's no SSD issue.

Also, I wish Asus kept the original 701 matt finish and logo on the newer black Eees.

Battery Life won it for the Asus, I was looking at Aspire One (dad has one) but the superior battery life means it really is more portable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

A matte finishing would have been nice yes :) but my skin doesn't seem that oily thank goodness (I just wipe the back with my hand every once in a while).

And yes - battery life is a big deal for me (main reason for buying one, alongside weight...and price). The keyboard of the asus seems really nice too (I seem to recall the acer having a smaller keyboard?)

I never considered the Aspire One because of the stupid trackpad button layout, and the small screen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 707 ✭✭✭deevey

Take it with a grain of salt- the Intel roadmap shows it being delayed to Q2 2009.......

Where is the roadmap ? ... I've trawled through the intel site and interweb and cant find a dickiebird on it, every other site is reporting Q4 2008?

If the mobile dual core has been delayed that long, i'd imagine they'd throw the 8w atom 330 into an EEE in the meantime, like the celery in the 900, even though it was only a few months before the 901 and the atom was ready.

While Intel said they'd penalize anyone doing that originally, a delay over 6 months is unrealistic I would think for intel to expect manufacturers to wait (I would have thought). Surely the Motherboards / Casings / Coolers etc.. would have to be designed well in advance? I just cant see Asus lying low until after christmas rush?

Personally I could live with a shorter battery life if they got it out faster enough I'm sure I would not be the only one.

Ah sure live in hope

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

deevey wrote: »
    Where is the roadmap ? ... I've trawled through the intel site and interweb and cant find a dickiebird on it, every other site is reporting Q4 2008?

Its Q4 '08 for the 330, which is a desktop part (its a dual core version of the N230). There is slippage on the release for a dual core version of the N270 (the laptop atom processor). The desktop version (the 330) is already shipping @ $43 per 1000- a very tempting price point, particularly when you consider its been recertified for a 667 FSB, in place of the 533Mhz FSB of the N230 and 270.

S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

smccarrick wrote: »
    Its Q4 '08 for the 330, which is a desktop part (its a dual core version of the N230). There is slippage on the release for a dual core version of the N270 (the laptop atom processor). The desktop version (the 330) is already shipping @ $43 per 1000- a very tempting price point, particularly when you consider its been recertified for a 667 FSB, in place of the 533Mhz FSB of the N230 and 270.

S.

I only understood about half the words in that post. Is that bad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Yes. ;)

Just got the EEE-B202 all the way from Taiwan. I went with the 2Gb RAM/160Gb HDD version. The O/S is Windows XP Pro in Mandarin (apart from Expressgate, which is working just fine). It was supposed to ship with a Restore DVD, which it didn't- which presumably would have the O/S in other languages.

Does anyone know if its possible to change the language of the operating system without a restore DVD? Or failing that- does anyone have a restore DVD that I can borrow?

Cheers,

Shane

• Advertisement

Errr- its not bad- its just delayed. They are shipping a version of the processor now, but its a much higher power usage part, than the frugal part they intend to put in laptops.

S.

Does anyone know if its possible to change the language of the operating system without a restore DVD?

Nope, not according to Microsoft:
    This English page is for reference only, Language Interface Packs (LIP) for Windows XP Professional and Windows XP Home Edition is not available in English, but provides a localized User Interface for emerging or minority language markets.

but you could always install this in the meantime, hell of a lot easier to understand than Mandarin.

Nope, not according to Microsoft:

but you could always install this in the meantime, hell of a lot easier to understand than Mandarin.

Cheers for that.......
    I think this might be more useful though!

Shane

Not sure how I missed that tbh. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Power City are selling a padded shoulder bag designed for in car head rest 7" DVD players for €10.00 Fits the EEEPC and power supply like a glove. "Star Traveller" is the brand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Ok folks so who knows the best place to buy the 1000? I know it's 500 in Peats and Laptopsdirect has it for about 420 with delivery but heard bad things about them..

Anyone know a place preferably closer to Laptopsdirect price but with fast shipping? ;)

Cheers in advance guys :)

Elara.ie is where I got mine. Also, you can collect your order from their warehouse if you're in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Brimmy wrote: »
    Ok folks so who knows the best place to buy the 1000? I know it's 500 in Peats and Laptopsdirect has it for about 420 with delivery but heard bad things about them..

Anyone know a place preferably closer to Laptopsdirect price but with fast shipping? ;)

Cheers in advance guys :)
    I got mine from laptopsdirect. They were OK, actually, I had the machine in about 3 days.

(I had trouble with a different supplier, ended up cancelling the order because they bumped the delivery date by a fortnight, and I only found out because I went back to the website.)

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭stev2604

Where would be the cheapest(reliable) place to buy a 1000H?

The best I've found so far is €419 on Pixmania.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭savemejebus

eVeNtInE wrote: »

The new Dell 12" netbook could be a better fit for all day use. Looking at a 10" screen for 8 hours a day could leave you with a mighty squint:eek:

There is the Dell Mini Inspiron 9 and Mini Inspiron 12. Don't rate either of them very much.

Mini 12 Link here http://blog.laptopmag.com/dell-releases-inspiron-mini-12-stretches-netbook-category

The mini 9 is a very well put together machine, moddable and silent. The only problem with it is it's about €100 too expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Nothing really noteworthy about the eeePC 1000 in that regard. You learn to make good use of the limited screen height (use full screen modes in Word, Acrobat, Firefox etc.). It's fine on a desk, but a bit wobbly & tippy on my lap - would not want to do that all day.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

The dell hasn't launched outside of japan yet so no price or release date for here yet.

NC10 looks like it'll be a good choice. Have one pre-ordered myself :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Magnusd

I find 10 inch is sweet spot between portability and usability...... Im using the EEE PC 1000H and Its perfect for internet, movies and typing documents.

My 15.4 inch DELL seems like a ridiculously massive beast now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Magnusd

stev2604 wrote: »

Laptops direct have them for €400 + shipping. Custoumer service is pretty awfull though! I bought my 100H from elara.ie but they are sold out now. Im currently awaiting a second 100H for the GF from laptops direct.

I would advise placing your order by phone. My internet order somehow vanished despite the fact I recieved confirmition emails etc.

Also, be prepared to be patient with the surley custoumer services staff with limited intelligence!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

Does anyone have this machine? Seems like a good price if i'm not missing anything!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

Pc World have it for essentially the same price. The overall chasis is quite big for the screen size...10" chassis with 8.9 or 9" screen

2 inch screen bezel = do not want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

I'm looking at USA models and wondering - is there a switch to change from 110V to 220V at Asus or Acers from the states ?

no the psu does that automatically

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭stev2604

What would be the easiest way of installing Office 2007 on an EEE-PC without using an external disc drive?

• Advertisement

What would be the easiest way of installing Office 2007 on an EEE-PC without using an external disc drive?

Copying the entire contents of the install disk onto a memory key running setup from the memory key. Note: do a custom install- and install entire contents (default is install common features and less used features on first usage). S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Elara: Kin

Over a network from a computer with a optical drive.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I think you can download a trial version from microsoft. If so that would be the best way.

Just a word of warning.
    If you're dual booting Ubuntu, don't just delete your Ubuntu partition if you want to uninstall it.
    Kthx.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Hey all, Anybody have any info on the budget asus netbook?'Gonna be $200 in the states..With 10" screen..Being released in 2009.Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Its down to 363 euro at elara. Tempting early Christmas present for myself :) It was 378 a few days ago. Not sure if its dropping due to sterling weakening against euro or just naturally getting cheaper.

http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=MMEB994667

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Elara: Kin

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Its down to 363 euro at elara. Tempting early Christmas present for myself :) It was 378 a few days ago. Not sure if its dropping due to sterling weakening against euro or just naturally getting cheaper.

http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=MMEB994667

It's the exchange rate...

Nice of you guys to give the customer a cut of the exchange benefits. Most sites just take whatever the price in stirling is and double it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Can the memory (ram) in the 901 be upgraded to 2 gig

Yeah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

Its probably been talked about before but what do you think of this EEE pc?
    http://elara.ie/products/detailsfullat.asp?productcode=ECE1593508#spec

ITs a EEE pc901,seems like good specs imo but I would like to know what people think of it,maybe a few here have it already,basically my dad wants to get a few of these mini laptops for his company for typing up word documents and excellent wireless to send documents back to him when they are out

rejkin wrote: »
    Its probably been talked about before but what do you think of this EEE pc?
    http://elara.ie/products/detailsfullat.asp?productcode=ECE1593508#spec

ITs a EEE pc901,seems like good specs imo but I would like to know what people think of it,maybe a few here have it already,basically my dad wants to get a few of these mini laptops for his company for typing up word documents and excellent wireless to send documents back to him when they are out

If you're doing any amount of typing- and have normal sized fingers, you will really need to get an external keyboard, its quite uncomfortable typing on it (admittedly I have big fingers). It is a lovely netbook though. There are better out there for slightly more money if you look for them (for example the Samsung NC10- you'll find another thread in here about it).

For a little internet browsing- or even playing media files etc on the road- its brilliant. If you intend to do a lot of typing etc- get something bigger.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

If you're doing any amount of typing- and have normal sized fingers, you will really need to get an external keyboard, its quite uncomfortable typing on it (admittedly I have big fingers). It is a lovely netbook though. There are better out there for slightly more money if you look for them (for example the Samsung NC10- you'll find another thread in here about it).

For a little internet browsing- or even playing media files etc on the road- its brilliant. If you intend to do a lot of typing etc- get something bigger.....

Yeah good point,that samsung laptop does look bigger and it has a much bigger hdd so ill tell him about that one,thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

rejkin wrote: »
    Yeah good point,that samsung laptop does look bigger and it has a much bigger hdd so ill tell him about that one,thanks

They're totally different size machines, one's a 10.2" and ones an 8.9".

The PC90x series are about the size of a large paperback, the PC100x, NC10, N10J etc are all significantly bigger - approx 12" corner to corner including chassis.

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Hey all, Anybody have any info on the budget asus netbook?'Gonna be $200 in the states..With 10" screen..Being released in 2009.Thanks

Is that the 1002HA that you have in mind?

Link here

Looks nice- but pricey nonetheless.....

Actually found this instead- looks more like what you have in mind.

And here.

Anyone got any idea of specs?

The fact that its an OLPC/XO competitor is not necessarily saying very much- though at $200/£130 I don't think anyone will bitch too much.....

Shane

• Advertisement
Advertisement