Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Asus EEE-PC

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

BostonB wrote: »
    Which did you get. How do you find the small screen?

I go the white 701 with 4gb storage and the webcam. The screen is surprisingly usable once you get used to it, i've been using the eee almost exclusively for the last week and i find it to be very easy to read. The 800*400 resolution is a bit annoying but meh, not too bad.
    Alan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Is it true you can't use the Webcam for chat app's like skype an MSN? Seems kinda pointless having one then.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

majiktripp wrote: »
    Is it true you can't use the Webcam for chat app's like skype an MSN? Seems kinda pointless having one then.

Works for Skype for me- I have no idea about MSN or the other apps though.

Cool so,read a review (must have been an older model or revision) where they said they couldnt use the webcam with skype. Dunno whether to wait for 8GB version or grab the 4GB version now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

If the 8gb version touts a larger screen (8.9/10"), I'm sold. Heading over to the US in March also, so hopefully the two will coincide.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I'm kinda waiting to see the price of the larger screen as well.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Can't wait to see Acer's eee PC competitor and the new eee PC model

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 creathus12

I felt compelled to write about my love affair with the Eee pc! I'm probably one of the first to have one in Ireland by the looks of it. I've had it since the 19th December and I found out almost immediately that its 100% compatible with the Huawei E220 3G usb vodafone modem. It connects super fast! Last weekend I took my eee out and about, first in Kerry airport (no 3g signal but it connected to wireless network buzzbit which must be paid for online) then Dublin Airport; again it connected to various wireless networks which were also not free (typical Ireland!) but then connected to the usb vodafone modem...... faster than anything Ive used before!! I continued on a Dublin bus into centre still connected the whole way and sppeeeedddy!!! Last stop was Meath where 3g wasnt connecting but.. on entering my brothers authorization code I got on to 100% Eircom broadband coverage!!!
    This is indeed the most mobile internet access on the planet (apart from the iphone but how do you type an email on that??!!) I loved the looks I got in Dublin airport from the smooth guys in their suits when I sat down beside them with my little 'legtop' and they had their monster bloated laptops which pull your shoulder off to carry around! One guy couldnt finish what he was doing on his monster top he was staring at my lovely Eee pc; looking rather deflated!
    I must mention that the webcam works perfectly on skype. with 2g SD card i have managed to save documents, web pages in all formats,video and photos with ease. I have also a 4g usb pen with all my documents, video and photos downloaded from my old monster laptop. I downloaded an e-book for study no problem the other day also saved to SD card. I'm using the SD cards for my memory cause from experience saving on computer slows it down and the Eee is super fast without all the clutter on the hard drive. Its the 4g version with 512ram and its perfectly sufficient and personally I quite like the Linux OS. I have fallen badly for this gadget as you may notice from this detailed message!!! It s everything Ive dreamt of and it fits in my handbag and my shoulder is not suffering!!

creathus12 wrote: »
    I felt compelled to write about my love affair with the Eee pc! I'm probably one of the first to have one in Ireland by the looks of it. I've had it since the 19th December and I found out almost immediately that its 100% compatible with the Huawei E220 3G usb vodafone modem. It connects super fast! Last weekend I took my eee out and about, first in Kerry airport (no 3g signal but it connected to wireless network buzzbit which must be paid for online) then Dublin Airport; again it connected to various wireless networks which were also not free (typical Ireland!) but then connected to the usb vodafone modem...... faster than anything Ive used before!! I continued on a Dublin bus into centre still connected the whole way and sppeeeedddy!!! Last stop was Meath where 3g wasnt connecting but.. on entering my brothers authorization code I got on to 100% Eircom broadband coverage!!!
    This is indeed the most mobile internet access on the planet (apart from the iphone but how do you type an email on that??!!) I loved the looks I got in Dublin airport from the smooth guys in their suits when I sat down beside them with my little 'legtop' and they had their monster bloated laptops which pull your shoulder off to carry around! One guy couldnt finish what he was doing on his monster top he was staring at my lovely Eee pc; looking rather deflated!
    I must mention that the webcam works perfectly on skype. with 2g SD card i have managed to save documents, web pages in all formats,video and photos with ease. I have also a 4g usb pen with all my documents, video and photos downloaded from my old monster laptop. I downloaded an e-book for study no problem the other day also saved to SD card. I'm using the SD cards for my memory cause from experience saving on computer slows it down and the Eee is super fast without all the clutter on the hard drive. Its the 4g version with 512ram and its perfectly sufficient and personally I quite like the Linux OS. I have fallen badly for this gadget as you may notice from this detailed message!!! It s everything Ive dreamt of and it fits in my handbag and my shoulder is not suffering!!

Great to know that Vodafone modem works :) Dad is thinking of getting one as a Skype machine for making calls on the go because his mobile bill is ridiculous...

Where did you buy / import? Cheapest price around seems to be Expansys @ about 340 euro for the 4G model with Webcam...

Same one is about 215 euro in America :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 707 ✭✭✭deevey

OMG whats happened people .. this is boards.ie .. hear me BOARDS! .. across the course of this thread I see no mention of the crazy hacks and mods that people have been putting into the eee's ! .. not to mentions the possibilities fo this little beast ....

e.g. Extra Internal 32 gig memory (leaving the external slots free)
    Screen hacks to more standard resolutions - e.g. 640x 480 800x600 1024 x ...etc so games / photoshop / and lots of other applications will run properly.
    Overclocking to 900mhz
    Internal bluetooth
    Internal GPS module
    Internal USB ports and Hubs for added "stuff"
    Touchscreen addon (for 60 bucks!) . oh and alot of the mods look to be able to be done without any soldering to the board at all !

The o2/three/vodafone 3g card is being added (with slight modifictions) as a travel pack with long life batteries etc .. by Asus themselves .. guess thats why it works :)

8gig version has no soldered Solid state drive .. so you actually LOSE a mini PCIe slot included in the 2 and 4 gig versions (it could be put to good use in the future if SSD's come down in price).

I would take a looksie at the http://www.eeeuser.com forum for some funky eee stuff if you arent convinced :D... im biting the bullet soon as I can, I've wanted one since Asus press released it !

• Advertisement

Deevey , this is just for you!
    http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/20/eee-pc-with-all-the-hacks-but-can-it-ever-learn-to-love/
    I wonder can they actually but the housing back on it with all the extra bloat inside?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

deevey wrote: »
    across the course of this thread I see no mention of the crazy hacks and mods that people have been putting into the eee's ! .. not to mentions the possibilities fo this little beast ....
    It might be because the bloody things are so hard to get in Ireland...
    (or anywhere outside of Taiwan for that matter)

Deevey , this is just for you!

Ahhh .. you found it :P he posts on the eee user site I mentioned :)... although he hasn't added the touch screen "yet" :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 crashanburn

I have 5 of these lettle monsters if anybody is intrested in buying them i can stick them up on ebay.

White 4gb 512mb Ram (Brand New)

Are they models with or without webcams ? and of course a price
    cheers :)

they have the cams, around 350, plus delivery or you can collect. Have to make up for all the phone calls and petrol i had to use getting these :-)

4 Cell 5200mah battery version? Does it include the carry case and cd etc?

Where you based

Yes they are still in box, with reciept from original supplier. I will drop a mail in the for sale section when i have them up.

Drop me a PM if you are intrested and i will let you know asap
    T
    Donegal

its on adverts.ie

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Judge my surprise when I got an email from expansys yesterday telling me that it had shipped..

It's a dinky unit - the keyboard takes a bit of getting used to. Touchpad is fine and the screen quality is very nice. Strangely my wireless connection isn't being made automatically but I imagine that just needs a bit of further research. Plugged in a wireless mouse no probs and neither has it problems with usb stick - just like windows it offers to play media or just open folders.

I bought this on behalf of work as a possible unit for folk who look to borrow laptops for writing notes but it has some interesting utilities in the "learn" tab which would be good for schoolkids.

Size wise - well its tidy. Feels robust enough to have in a backpack with other bits n bobs.

• Advertisement

get it into advanced mode, even better this way. you can find the details here eeeusers.com, use the wiki or forum

Go to network connections, then choose your network, then properties, on the left there is a drop down, start mode, select on boot.

Nice to hear the back orders are finally being shipped. When did you order?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Thanks for that.

I ordered on 27 November.

Wow!!!

Toys 'R' Us
    38, Mill Rd, Newtownabbey, County Antrim BT36 7BE
    Tel: 028 9036 9370

Have 2 in stock this very minute. Good luck to however gets them.

The eee with preinstalled Windows XP is shipping in Japan now, same machine except it comes with a free 4gig SD card. Nice to see the price hasn't risen :)

click!

16 gig SDHC cards are only 60 euro from memoryc :D

XP as default, wonder if its a proper stripped down version or full blown ... they couldnt ... could they ?

I'd say its a bit stripped down, like MSN Explorer, messenger and tour removed...

My XP folder is less than a gig on a fresh install using XP essentials so it would leave the user more space than the default Xandros OS that it ships with..

Trying to convince Dad that he needs one for work, then I will steal it! mwahahahahha :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Anyone got any ideas when the XP version is getting released? Installing Football Manager on one of those would be a joy.

You can install XP yourself :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

conzymaher wrote: »
    You can install XP yourself :)

How does it run though?

Cina wrote:
    How does it run though?

Runs fine- it does take a good bit longer to boot than the pre-installed Linux, but it runs perfectly normal. The only issue I'd have is the preset screen resolutions.

if you visit eeeUser there are lots of guides to installing XP and using custom resolutions..

And XP on eee is by no mean slow, for example an eee PC running Windows XP boots much faster than a 2000 euro HP notebook booting vista ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

conzymaher wrote: »
    if you visit eeeUser there are lots of guides to installing XP and using custom resolutions..

And XP on eee is by no mean slow, for example an eee PC running Windows XP boots much faster than a 2000 euro HP notebook booting vista ;)
    SSD will make any OS run much smoother, not to mention cutting out longer boot up times :D

Nick

yup :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

has anyone here managed to get the EEE going with an O2 mobile broadband usb modem E220 on xandros? I keep getting 7 bit errors ?

• Advertisement

zod wrote: »
    has anyone here managed to get the EEE going with an O2 mobile broadband usb modem E220 on xandros? I keep getting 7 bit errors ?

I haven't tried it with the o2 usb modem- it works fine with the vodafone one though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

So I'm eyeing these up again. 330 for the black one with 4GB drive. Interestingly expansys are offering an 16GB SD card bundle for an extra 60GB which would seem like a good way to expand the HDD space.

So is it worth holding out for the new 8" screen? I haven't heard any more news on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

quarryman wrote: »
    So I'm eyeing these up again. 330 for the black one with 4GB drive. Interestingly expansys are offering an 16GB SD card bundle for an extra 60GB which would seem like a good way to expand the HDD space.

So is it worth holding out for the new 8" screen? I haven't heard any more news on it.

It looks like expansys are trying to rip people off again, i just checked out the eee with the 16gb sd card, and it's the eee 700 with a 2gig ssd drive built in instead of a 4gig one. The price of the of the eee 700 without the card is 309, and with the card is 389, but to buy the 16gb card on it's own costs 70...so basically it's €10 more expensive than it should be. Madness!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Does anyone know if the included OS is easy to use and install software like vlc on?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Does anyone know if the included OS is easy to use and install software like vlc on?

I'm not sure what VLC is- but the O/S is a doddle to use. My wife thought she would want XP on it, but when she turned it on and saw the layout and how easy it was to use, she changed her mind. It boots in about 7 seconds- and everything just works. If not using wireless- turn off the adaptor- it does wonders for the battery life (i.e. it lasts about 4 times as long- I am not sure why the wireless adaptor is so power hungry).

• Advertisement

afaik you can apt-get most applications as its just some form of Xandros

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

You have to add extra repositories though. The one(s) specified in sources.list only have software designed for the EEE-PC. Its easy enough to do though. The website mentioned (EEE-PC User) has loads of great tutorials and helpful forums.

The backlog seems to be gone, Komplett have 100+ in stock

Those ones in stock are US imports with a US keyboard layout. €10 cheaper than the regular version as thats not in stock at the mo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,203 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

my laptop is dying a little bit and i'm really considering getting one of these during the summer. I know there will maybe be a new version out by then but what i'm wondering is, what would this be like for programming/web browsing/ media playing and the odd game of football manager? I think its the screen size i've the biggest worry about.

Vlc is only the most awesome media player of all time! Plays basically everything with out needing extra codecs!

my laptop is dying a little bit and i'm really considering getting one of these during the summer. I know there will maybe be a new version out by then but what i'm wondering is, what would this be like for programming/web browsing/ media playing and the odd game of football manager? I think its the screen size i've the biggest worry about.

Yes to all but footie manager...(unless you stick xp on it)
    Im sure these are fine laptops but theres still something holding me back from getting one....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

/ordered mine from expansys last week.

komplett only has the 'surf' ones left. the thing appears to be selling quite well :) in england they are giving them away for free if you sign a contract with o2

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Got mine last week from Play after about 3 weeks of waiting for stock to arrive. Black 4GB w/webcam. Really liking it, very happy with the default Xandros installation though I've played about with a couple of tweaks (adding a start menu, expanding to the full desktop mode rather than the default mode).

I'm tempted to try XP out on it more out of curiosity than anything else; ideally what I want is XP installed to a USB pendrive and not touching the internal disk at all. I tried to set this up yesterday without properly paying attention to the boot settings in the BIOS menu, meaning I had to recover from the DVD this morning :o Has anyone on here tried something similar and succeeded? (I know there's loads of forum posts and the like on the eeeuser.com site among others; I'm not looking for help with it, just curious as to whether anyone else is trying to use it in this way...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭randombar

Lads just wondering where the best how to install xp is online?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Hey Gary, check out the eeeuser.com forums - the right guide for you will depend on how you want to install it and what you've got available; ie have you an external CD-ROM, are you installing to the internal hard drive or an external drive?

• Advertisement
Advertisement