Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs and fireworks

Options
  • 29-10-2007 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭

Hey there,
    This time of year fire works light up the sky with coulourful explosions,
    As soon as my dog hears theese loud bangs, hes goes mad,
    he is very obedient and listens to me but switches off completly in terror
    after dark, he jumps at the window and barks non stop. we bring hin in the house and this seems to help to a degree.
    He was born on the 31st oct 2004 so i wonder if this has anything to do with it??
    he is a Staffordshire Bull Terrier and i herd this breed can be like this,
    if anyone has similar experiences, i would love to hear how you comfort your
    Pets.
    Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

hi there we use rescue remedy and also bring all animals indoors also turn the music to try and muffle the bangs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭michelleans

Hey there,
    This time of year fire works light up the sky with coulourful explosions,
    As soon as my dog hears theese loud bangs, hes goes mad,
    he is very obedient and listens to me but switches off completly in terror
    after dark, he jumps at the window and barks non stop. we bring hin in the house and this seems to help to a degree.
    He was born on the 31st oct 2004 so i wonder if this has anything to do with it??
    he is a Staffordshire Bull Terrier and i herd this breed can be like this,
    if anyone has similar experiences, i would love to hear how you comfort your
    Pets.
    Cheers.

Here is an article that may help you..

Article

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 what2choose?

Hi there,

A lot of cats and dogs...any pets or wild animals as well really, get a big fright and panic at the sight and sound of fireworks. Hence why the shelters and pounds are so very over-full during times when fireworks are used:(.

Once you learn that your pet is afraid of fireworks, some very good things you can do to help your animal is to bring them indoors (before the fireworks start if possible), to an area with the lights on (so they can't see the flash of the firework), and curtains closed. Having the radio, telly or CD on will help block out the sound of the fire-works. A calm, happy atmosphere (as in not nervous) will also help.

If your pet is not showing signs of anxiety, if they are relaxed and happy during the fireworks, it is good to praise them to re-inforce the good behaviour - even if its just a gentle pat and 'good girl/boy'. If your pet is anxious/nervous, it is also important not to be molly-cottling them as that would be re-enforcing the negative behaviour. In this case, use a calm, assertive manner, and try find a way to help the pet not hear/see the fireworks.

In some cases of seviere panic attacks, the vet may be able to prescribe something to help calm the animal, as well as taking the above steps.

Advertisement