Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Oh.. there's a few that have been wrecking my head recently.

- Homestore & More... Homestore & More... Homestore & More... Homestore & More... (we get what the store is called!)

- The ad for the shopping centre in Navan with the jingle... "Find Undiscovered Gems in Navan" (or something like that!)

- GE Money is atrocious too. "Pay a little more each day to lighten up me load... yeeewwww!"

- Clearwire Broadband (if just for the way he says "Broad-baand" and the "have a nice day!")

- "To see your premium fall, just give AA a call on..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

juuge wrote:
    Best ad ever has to be the 'Catch-It-If-You-Can' Catch Chocolate Bar - Whatever happened to that ?
    yiu'll find it on www.catchbar.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

If I ever come across the woman from the new Ristorante Pizza ad I may just have to kill her until she dies from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

RE mortage RE RE RE RE RE Re-AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Mike.

The ad for malev hungarian airlines with the woman whispering makes my skin crawl, if someone whispered like that in my ear I'd loaf them.

• Advertisement

GDM wrote:
    If I ever come across the woman from the new Ristorante Pizza ad I may just have to kill her until she dies from it.
    Agreed.. it's the way she puts elongates ready.

"Your pizza from Dr. Oetker is readdddy!"

One ad that has gotten more and more on me tits.. the game-show ad for concrete A-rated homes.

"Concrete built is better built!" - ARRRRGGGHHH!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Harvey Norman.... It's the new Power City.

Actually another ad is that stupid Supermacs one.

"What do you call a fish with no I's..... A Fsh..."

Ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭coxy14

Hate the new ads trying to encourage people to move to the west of Ireland.
    Having moved to Boyle one women tells us how she has much more time and more pleasant surroundings to surf; in land locked roscommon, i don't think so!

That Goddamn AA ad for the "cuppa tea/old dear" generation. Its not only annoying - its ubiquitous.

Mike.

• Advertisement

The mortgage ad with the "inner child" saying "WAKEY, WAKEY!!!"

Grrrrrrrr! :mad:

juuge wrote:
    Best ad ever has to be the 'Catch-It-If-You-Can' Catch Chocolate Bar - Whatever happened to that ?
    I have the original 1970s TV ad. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

How's this for a new rule concerning radio ads in particular - nobody under 15 whose voice hasn't broken yet.

I am not agist. There are several examples of this, such as:

the WAKEY WAKEY ad for the mortgage
    "Da, can we get Irish Broadband?"
    two kids on their first day back at school yelling about what they did on their holidays (can't remember what the ad's for, I normally got rid of the volume by that point)
    kid pretending to drive a car around the kitchen table
    Eircom Broadband

There are probably a few more. Anyway, nobody under 15 should be allowed to do a voice for a radio ad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

inkjet.ie - What fool sanctioned this ad fit for radio listeners?

The new WEE regulations with the Stephen Hawkings distorted voice, for christ sake. :mad:

Best jingle has to be for the Catch Bar.....www.catchbar.com

basquille wrote:
    The mortgage ad with the "inner child" saying "WAKEY, WAKEY!!!"

Grrrrrrrr! :mad:

Believe it or not this actually woke me up this morning, it was the first thing I heard before I turned off my alarm. It was on right before the news.

If that actually is a kid I want to punch him in the throat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Whoever mentioned that concrete built homes ad... oh god i want to kill those bastards.

CONCRETE BUILT IS BETTER BUILT!!1!

ORLY?

Just for that I hope the property market goes right down the toilet you pricks.

Then there's every eircom broadband ad with that cheesy god-awful music and the usual smarmy bollix doing the voice over. Die in a fire please.

And last but not least... Fitzpatrick furniture with their very own oh-so-sexy jingle. What kind of crazy sh1t were they smoking when they approved that?

yeah, if only life was easy as winning a house for answering two questions about why concrete is so great :mad:

Those Permanent TSB ads drive me up the wall.
    Everybody please just switch your account so they'll have nothing to advertise.

Few more I despise are as mentioned before, those Fitzpatrick ads. "Hi, I'm Neville Knot"

The Harvey Norman ads.

Those DID electrical ads.

And finally..........

That Supermacs ad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

The add for the Police concert running over the past few weeks drove me nuts.

What is it about Irish advertising and American accents? I just don't get. Advertising agencies seem to think that using an American accent adds more credibility or coolness.

Why an Irish radio advert for an English band needed to be advertised by a low pitched American accent (a.k.a. those "in a world" movie trailers) baffles me.

• Advertisement

Karsini wrote:
    I have the original 1970s TV ad. :)
    Really ?
    Can you upload it to youtube?

juuge wrote: »
    Really ?
    Can you upload it to youtube?
    Done. My first upload though, don't think it came out as well as I'd hoped. But it came from a ghosted Mullaghanish VHF broadcast so the source isn't 100% anyway.

Karsini wrote: »
    Done. My first upload though, don't think it came out as well as I'd hoped. But it came from a ghosted Mullaghanish VHF broadcast so the source isn't 100% anyway.

Well done thanks for that - You're a genius!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Oh my god, I am sick to death of those stupid ads with the

"regulated by the financial regulator" bit at the end

:mad:

I have to change the station everytime I hear this, only to turn to another ad with the same thing.

And why the fúk does the person have to speak so fast during this bit

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Moved into the worst/best thread.

From what I learnt in sound engineering the person isn't usually speaking that fast but has had some sort of time bend put over it to speed it up.

Unfortunately annoying as it is all financial institutions have to have this bit at the end to cover themselves legally.

One campaign thats particuarly bad is that smug one for Centra, where various metro-types are falling out of bed and into thier local corner shop be feast on guilt-free produce. "that sounds like a plan". Bah, just have 2 weetabix like the rest of us.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

OMG that bloody inner child one from whatever bunch of bastards are trying to sell me a mortgage. Wakey wakey. If I ever actually meet that child I won't be responsible for my actions...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

11890 Ads to the tune of kung fu fighting....grrrrrrrrrrr!

The ads are that bad I would rather go out of my way and find a poxy phone book than phone that shower :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The ad for the food safety authority. Woman tries to sell her car to man, man says "its a bit past it, isn't it?". She says "It may be past its best before date, but its not past its use by date". Guy goes "What?"

The rest of the country goes "What?"

Ridiculous (especially in the context of selling a car).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

REply for a REmorgtage or REfinance REal soon or REally be REal sorry about not REplying to a REal stupid REtard on a RE RE RE RE RE.... ugh, over-pronounce RE once more and I'll shove an oversized rubber fist up your REctum you stupid fucktard. I can't even remember the company, one of those shower of debt consolidation companies with stupid names like Perfect Mortgages or Freedom Finance.

Also, I don't think I'll listen to my inner child. I'd rather shake him to death while shouting wakey wakey over and over, ala Louise Woodward.

Those timber framed homes. Chopping down forests is now environmentally friendly it seems. And what does the fact the the trees used to absorb CO2 (but not any more since you killed them) have to do with making your home more energy efficient? They're crap houses anyway. There's no sound-proofing between rooms, and if it's semi-detached then pray you don't have noisy neighbours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

basquille wrote: »
    "Your pizza from Dr. Oetker is readdddy!"

Pizza is Italian, and also sort of robbed by the Americans, so I can imagine buying a pizza from a guy called Gino Ginelli, or Goodfellas, with a Noo Yawk accent, but Doktor Oetker mit ze Cherman accent? You vant to eat mein pizza, ja? Zen take off your speedos, bik boy! I'd run a mile!

Some more, in no particular order:

- Eircom 11811 ads "if you want a pizza in north May-o, looking for an optician in Ri-al-tooo", GAAAAHHHH!

- TV Licence ads that try to make us think that being caught without a TV licence is like being caught pants-down with a goat. Do they honestly think we're that stupid?

- Tesco ads with that annoying xylophone-type music that's repeated over and over again in the background. Listen for it, and believe me, you will want to kill.

- The G hotel: "I am this, I am that...", well you are dead, because I am going to burn down the fúcking G hotel (or gee hotel, haha) if I ever hear that stupid ad again.

- Carbon monoxide ads with Duncan Stuart. He's so bloody Green goody-two-shoes that I'd do the opposite of what he says, every time. "Donsh drive an SUV, because it's not sus-tain-able", OK, then sign me up for the new X5 there, Mr BMW dealer. "Gesh a carbon monoxide alarm", OK now I'm dead of CO poisoning.

- Inner voice: 'nuff said.

- Seniors Money, with Mick Lally sounding like he's spent the morning hitting the poitín bottle, slurring his words and all, trying to be the cuddly, unthreatening face of an exploitative equity release company. And there are so many of those ads, those guys must have some backing... What's worse, every time Eddie Hobbs criticises them, or the subprime market practically brings the US economy down, these ads morph into a new form so as to sound less threatening. Stop lying to old people Miley! Termsh and condisshensh applaayyy...

But the honourable mention goes to the man who realises that on radio, less is more, only appearing every now and again, so that his wonderful randomness sounds fresh each time!

Of course...

It's...

The man who put "Turkish Travertine" into the popular vocabulary!

...DAFT DAVE!!!!

What a legend

fricatus wrote: »
    Pizza is Italian, and also sort of robbed by the Americans, so I can imagine buying a pizza from a guy called Gino Ginelli, or Goodfellas, with a Noo Yawk accent, but Doktor Oetker mit ze Cherman accent? You vant to eat mein pizza, ja? Zen take off your speedos, bik boy! I'd run a mile!

Some more, in no particular order:

- Eircom 11811 ads "if you want a pizza in north May-o, looking for an optician in Ri-al-tooo", GAAAAHHHH!

- TV Licence ads that try to make us think that being caught without a TV licence is like being caught pants-down with a goat. Do they honestly think we're that stupid?

- Tesco ads with that annoying xylophone-type music that's repeated over and over again in the background. Listen for it, and believe me, you will want to kill.

- The G hotel: "I am this, I am that...", well you are dead, because I am going to burn down the fúcking G hotel (or gee hotel, haha) if I ever hear that stupid ad again.

- Carbon monoxide ads with Duncan Stuart. He's so bloody Green goody-two-shoes that I'd do the opposite of what he says, every time. "Donsh drive an SUV, because it's not sus-tain-able", OK, then sign me up for the new X5 there, Mr BMW dealer. "Gesh a carbon monoxide alarm", OK now I'm dead of CO poisoning.

- Inner voice: 'nuff said.

- Seniors Money, with Mick Lally sounding like he's spent the morning hitting the poitín bottle, slurring his words and all, trying to be the cuddly, unthreatening face of an exploitative equity release company. And there are so many of those ads, those guys must have some backing... What's worse, every time Eddie Hobbs criticises them, or the subprime market practically brings the US economy down, these ads morph into a new form so as to sound less threatening. Stop lying to old people Miley! Termsh and condisshensh applaayyy...

But the honourable mention goes to the man who realises that on radio, less is more, only appearing every now and again, so that his wonderful randomness sounds fresh each time!

Of course...

It's...

The man who put "Turkish Travertine" into the popular vocabulary!

...DAFT DAVE!!!!

What a legend

I also think that Daft Dave is the full legend and that those other ads are annoying as holy hell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Undercoverguy

Anyone heard the king crisps ad?
    I think it fluckin brilliant lol

it's a good one all right

That IBM Climate Change advert - Wifey complaining about a change in the weather? Your kids worried about the polar bear?

WTF????????

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

The ad with the deleriously-happy-she-must-be-on-speed girl gushing over how she saved €300 by monopolising her insurance policies with quinn direct. And the music on the Eagle Star ads make me feel quite nauseous.

Nightwish wrote: »
    And the music on the Eagle Star ads make me feel quite nauseous.

Get out of my head :D

That eagle star ad has made me see new shades of red...I'd love to shove the neck of that guitar down yer man's throat and chop off the hands of the offending guitarist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Sorry about that...but someone needs to share my pain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Nightwish wrote: »
    The ad with the deleriously-happy-she-must-be-on-speed girl gushing over how she saved €300 by monopolising her insurance policies with quinn direct.

It's annoying, but I have to admit I find it sexy how she says "yup!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Can the mods sticky this thread please

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

What stations are playing it?

It was sent to the station I work at but wasnt allowed to air.

Great ad though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

I LOVE the pub ad.

"going to the local is like having a nice warm bath, espicially if you get out of the bath, climb out of the window and head down to the pub; you cute hoor"

"what is lacks in excitment it makes up for.... in it's complete lack of excitment"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

123.ie, just log on and save money

if you don't give us your money you'd have to be a (donkey noise), or (dog barking) or just plain (cuckoo noise).

**** off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Well, I get a bit ...moist when I hear Caroline Morahan in that ad for whatever it is. God, she's a sexy voice.

I also like the one where the two lads are chatting, saying something like "you'll never guess what..." and "€100 something something" and the girl at the end shrieks. The editing is great. It runs very smoothly as an ad.

It was only till I listened carefully to that QuinnDirect ad that I realised what a pile of sh!te the terms and conditions were...sheesh, she makes it like the discovery of penicillin or something...

And there's no optician in Rialto btw.

As for the G hotel, is that ad paid for by other hotels? There is no way in hell I'd stay there after hearing it. It's so annoying. Change of station or OFF button required when I hear that one..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

tampopo wrote: »

I also like the one where the two lads are chatting, saying something like "you'll never guess what..." and "€100 something something" and the girl at the end shrieks. The editing is great. It runs very smoothly as an ad.

quote]

Halifax I think. Flippin brill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 kerrrory@gmail.

fair play to ben dunne. He conquered his demons. Thinks his adverts get straight to the point. Jackie Skelley and himself are great friends in real life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Their is an ad on mainly Today FM for David Gray's greatest hits album, and for a minute, it plays a selection of his finest depressing music. Nearly every ad break, they play that ad, and it does my head in.

Someone in the Halifax ad department please fall on your sword now....that ad referred to above (the flippin' one) is utter sh*te, ESPECIALLY the scream on yer wan.
    I tolerated, hell even liked some of your other efforts on TV and radio, but this drivel is like something you scribbled down the pub on a friday evening after a long period of writer's cramp.

Oh yeah, rabobank series with Sean "I'm not really funny" Moncrieff, the boot camp for money ad is terrible. "But no drama sir!".
    Oh f*ck off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Echelle

Agreed, that Halifax ad is pure rubbish, is it a Colum and Jimjim ( radio 2) creation? The male voices sound like them. What ages are they (Colum and Jimjim) by the way? Their stupid banter is reminiscent of 11 year old precocious schoolboys. Yesterday they went on and on about rats milk...at breakfast time...doing their best to get themselves off the air...hope it works.
    But back to the main topic. The worst ad at the monent has to be the dumb Mira shower ad....most annoying along with the halifax one , for a long time.

I like the new ad for a charity, the name of which I've just forgotten - its a silly song about donating rather than buying rubbish jumpers for Christmas.

Mike.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement