Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

''Mum,you've left the iron in the fridge.''

I appreciate it's for a good cause,but it's a terribly annoying ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    Those two gee-bags talking about fish oil burps then belching all the way through the ad. This is on national radio.

Hideous.

I just heard this! Horrific!

And the Irish Life and about giving the parents a grandchild, ugh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    Those two gee-bags talking about fish oil burps then belching all the way through the ad. This is on national radio.

Hideous.

That ad never fails to make me want to throw up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I have to admit that I haven't stayed in an Irish hotel in a while but the concept seems cheap and scabby to me.

Considering how cheap hotels are in Ireland compared to the rest of Europe, its not really. Room I was in at Schiphol Airport had an advertised rack rate of €349 - for what you might pay €110 for at absolute peak in Dublin. And it didn't come with breakfast either!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Radio5

MYOB wrote: »
    Considering how cheap hotels are in Ireland compared to the rest of Europe, its not really. Room I was in at Schiphol Airport had an advertised rack rate of €349 - for what you might pay €110 for at absolute peak in Dublin. And it didn't come with breakfast either!

Airport hotels are always expensive no matter where you are. You have to pay for the convenience.

• Advertisement

Shuttle bus for this one was about the same drivetime as the Metro Hotel in Ballymun - which isn't dear. Fact still stands that hotels here are incredibly cheap compared to other tourist destinations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

I've a suggestion for a good radio ad for fixing your bad version of Windows 8 locally. Scam artist rings from 'contact centre' in ......(gugleguy won't be prejudiced) and says there is 'problem' with calltakers' version of Windows. Calltaker repeats this to sombody else in room with him. This person says, no don't follow advice of scam artist on phone, go to 'Acme' service, in 8 locations in Dublin etc. To end, scam artist who 'rang' apologises for calling and recommends 'acme' service too.

gugleguy wrote: »
    I've a suggestion for a good radio ad for fixing your bad version of Windows 8 locally. Scam artist rings from 'contact centre' in ......(gugleguy won't be prejudiced) and says there is 'problem' with calltakers' version of Windows. Calltaker repeats this to sombody else in room with him. This person says, no don't follow advice of scam artist on phone, go to 'Acme' service, in 8 locations in Dublin etc. To end, scam artist who 'rang' apologises for calling and recommends 'acme' service too.

I'd consider the people in the room to be idiots, seeing as there isn't a problem to begin with; and that the retailer taking out the ad was preying on people just as much as the scammers.

Current Maxol ads are doing my head in, sung in a completely non-native key for the singer at that; add that to the fact that its sung at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

The ad for Connacht gold butter is just cat with the fake cows mooing. I really can't stand it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

ad on for a bunch of solicitors in dublin on earlier. sounds like right low level ambulance chasing type scum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

neris wrote: »
    ad on for a bunch of solicitors in dublin on earlier. sounds like right low level ambulance chasing type scum.

I heard this this morning on Newstalk. The OH couldn't believe that it was an ad for a solicitor firm, seemed a bit beneath them...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

'When I was born you gave up your sleep'.

'When I was nine you gave up your - OH PLEASE GTFO WITH THIS MUCK :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Lapin wrote: »

Just heard it. Such complete drivel....:mad:

dulpit wrote: »
    I heard this this morning on Newstalk. The OH couldn't believe that it was an ad for a solicitor firm, seemed a bit beneath them...

Beneath them?? Nothing is beneath that shower of rogues.....

Maxol..... jesus wept possibly the worst ad ever. Bad enough the ad is sung but its sung really badly and out of tune

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭chimmy chonga

Any Radio ads that has Yvonne from Fair City doing the voice over just does my head-in. These days she pops up on every frickin ad break. grrrrrrah!! Is there a shortage of actors or what?:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭Wotsername

That woman on the Fairy Liquid ad. I wish someone would tell her it's not FERRY liquid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Any Radio ads that has Yvonne from Fair City doing the voice over just does my head-in. These days she pops up on every frickin ad break. grrrrrrah!! Is there a shortage of actors or what?:mad:

Oh tell me about it!
    She's feckin' everywhere and she has this nasally whiny sanctimonious voice that makes me want to gouge my eyes out with a spoon.

It used to be Robin from Fair City doing all the ads at one point.

fussyonion wrote: »
    Oh tell me about it!
    She's feckin' everywhere and she has this nasally whiny sanctimonious voice that makes me want to gouge my eyes out with a spoon.

It used to be Robin from Fair City doing all the ads at one point.

Never ever watched fair ****ty......:pac:

fussyonion wrote: »
    Oh tell me about it!
    I'm a sales rep and I drive a lot so the radio is a big part of my day. Every phuckin ad break on every station there she is with Dunnes Stores, Kildare Village to UPC to Axa to Falcon Holidays to Irish Life to Tubs & Tiles to Baby Food etc etc.... Seriously wonder what clout she has to control such a monopoly on the voice over business.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

That accent she puts on for the Kildare Village advert has to be the creepiest!:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

Danske are still doing the stings on Drivetime, bookending the ads, as if nothing happened.

I know they have a contract with RTE, but given they closed my account and messed me around I don't think they are in much of a position to argue about contracts.

the lotto woman and her 16 or 17 kids is driving me mad. I think im in to double digits for the amount of times ive heard it today on 3 different stations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

neris wrote: »
    Maxol..... jesus wept possibly the worst ad ever. Bad enough the ad is sung but its sung really badly and out of tune

Well, I am a sound engineer myself and I get so angry when that ad comes on.

The music loop being used is one of the worst parts. I can't even post about it. Feckin thing is on again. :pac:

I think that Beds Etc. advert on the TV a few months back was the last advert which made me extremely angry.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

*sound of wiping feet* "Don't want to get the new tiles dirty"

JUST TAKE OFF YOUR DIRTY SHOES!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

FunLover18 wrote: »

Ah sure don't ya know taking off your shoes indoors is only for the Muslims! Sure the floor is for walking on, not for looking at! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

Lapin wrote: »

But you didn't finish...!
    When I was nine you gave up your love life
    When I was 16 you never gave up
    When I was 24 you gave me away
    When I was 28.......I gave you a grandchild
    Ahhhh!

Doesn't it make you fell all warm and cuddly inside!!!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭mjv2ydratu679c

But you didn't finish...!
    When I was nine you gave up your love life
    When I was 16 you never gave up
    When I was 24 you gave me away
    When I was 28.......I gave you a grandchild
    Ahhhh!

Doesn't it make you fell all warm and cuddly inside!!!;)

Depressing when this the sort of faeces that passes for advertising these days. Advertising in Ireland seems to be a creative wasteland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

The **** who work in advertising should be hounded by Malcolm Tucker in full-on bollocking mode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

It was gone and life was good but now its back and back in duplicate:

"No love ----walk all over the floor"
    "So love
    I'm loosing the will to live"
    "True love
    I turn off the radio at this stage".

NOW they're loving a bloody arm chari in addition to stupid floor tiles.
    These ads are so so bad it serves to make me not want to use whatever service is being sold / they are trying to sell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

FunLover18 wrote: »

Long, drawn out crap

Why does the guy in dairy gold ad have to have such a cool, super smooth voice? It's butter!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

Couple of days ago, the Toyota Auris ad was on. Girl traded in her 08 golf for a 141.

This morning i heard the response from Volkswagon. Same guy and girl talking,but this time she's telling how she returned the 141 auris and got her old car because it just wasn't a golf.

Nothing special about the script or anything but I just thought it was a great come back.

Fran1985 wrote: »
    Couple of days ago, the Toyota Auris ad was on. Girl traded in her 08 golf for a 141.

This morning i heard the response from Volkswagon. Same guy and girl talking,but this time she's telling how she returned the 141 auris and got her old car because it just wasn't a golf.

Nothing special about the script or anything but I just thought it was a great come back.
    It still amazes me how Toyota are still spewing out that crap about being the best built cars in the world. Strange how they are not allowed say that in the UK media! VW are in my mind a far superior range of cars and I've had a few over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

There was an a promo for the Ian Dempsey Breakfast Show on this evening during The Last Word, and Ian was going on about Archbishop Martin trying to make church more fun...

...while playing "Take Me To Church", the most dreadfully miserable song I have ever had the misfortune to hear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

bbk wrote: »
    Well, I am a sound engineer myself and I get so angry when that ad comes on.

The music loop being used is one of the worst parts. I can't even post about it. Feckin thing is on again. :pac:

I think that Beds Etc. advert on the TV a few months back was the last advert which made me extremely angry.:o

Agree, the whole concept of the ad is awful but the attempt to loop the music and get the rhyme to work is dreadful...
    Depressing when this the sort of faeces that passes for advertising these days. Advertising in Ireland seems to be a creative wasteland.

For the most part it is... but when was it ever good?
    Why does the guy in dairy gold ad have to have such a cool, super smooth voice? It's butter!!!

Cause his voice represents the butter...smooth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

There was an a promo for the Ian Dempsey Breakfast Show on this evening during The Last Word, and Ian was going on about Archbishop Martin trying to make church more fun...

...while playing "Take Me To Church", the most dreadfully miserable song I have ever had the misfortune to hear.

That's... bizarre. I mean, I love that song - and I love Ian Dempsey's show but talk about mixed messages.

Andrew maxwell and his poxy tour ad

Any car ad which is voiced over by the dealership owner. So unprofessional with no acting skills. Buddy you have your name on the building outside, is that not enough of your ego massaged?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

In my opinion one of the most appalling Ads in recent years is the quasi comical (?) one for Early & Baldwin Solicitors which sounds like the blurb for a movie or play. 'Where there's a will, there's a relative'.....Grrrrrr!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swampy353

Worst ad has to be the one for Adrian Kennedy new show on 98fm. A really poorly sung version of money talks, changed to Dublin talks with inserts of the lads talking about what the show will be like

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

There's a gem on now from Friends First where missus is sitting up in bed commentating sympathetically on her husbands obnoxiously load chainsaw like snoring.
    "Ahh, no wonder he sleeps so well"
    This guy needs a fukcin physician, not a fawning wifey.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

The Ad for Cirque du Soleil drives me bonkers - every single time that I hear it I think it's an for an airline or a package holiday operator - probably just me. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Joe Duffy..

One running on Today f.m at the minute for Q park, with the incredibly annoying Paula McSweeney, terrible stuff.

One running on Today f.m at the minute for Q park, with the incredibly annoying Paula McSweeney, terrible stuff.

Awful ad but I like her voice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

"Are you a taxi driver yourself?

No, I'm .... *checks tag on underpants* ... Paul Linders.. "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

Those new Maxol ads....Sweet mother of the baby Jesus they are bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

statto25 wrote: »
    Those new Maxol ads....Sweet mother of the baby Jesus they are bad.

It's desperate definitely the worst add I have ever heard on radio. How they thought it sounded good is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

'As the saying goes, if Dunne can't do it it can't be done'...
    What saying, Ben? Can't say I ever heard it, until the ad for Ben Dunne gyms started being aired...every five minutes. Not the worst of ads, I suppose, just a bit tiresome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

So glad I haven't heard that! I find her very hard to listen to, in the slot she does on the Ian Dempsey Show.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement