Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

The Ford big bonus ad where at least three times during the ad some halfwit roars big bonus. What sort of moron comes up with rubbish like this and what sort of idiot signs off on it on behalf of the client? :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I think advertising agencies must have a new mindset, not to make an ad in any way original or memorable, just make it as irritating as possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

Hotpress . . . Hotpress . . . Hotpress

All Tesco Ads that contain the slogan 'every little helps'. Despite what some of the younger generation seem to think, Tesco did not invent this saying which has been around since before the Flood. In fact, it is often used in a semi-disparaging way:

My Grandmother used to tell me a story to me about a friend of hers who was in the habit of baking Christmas cakes for relations and friends. On one occasion she presented one to a girl she had working for her who, obviously unimpressed, responded with "thank you, every little helps - especially at Christmas". Seeing her employer's look of annoyance at this remark, she quickly changed tack but made matters worse by saying "and plenty of it such as it is."

There again, I shouldn't be surprised by Tesco's usage of the English language as when I lived on the Isle of Man their store used to mark shelves with signs 'temporary out of stock'. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Where is Haydee?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i am a brady's ham so i ham :(

its doing my head in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

the one with 20 people simultaneously muttering 'switch'

I'll switch alright...to another station

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Radio5

I hear Dermot Whelen on all the new Tesco ones. Was Marty busy ?

All Tesco Ads that contain the slogan 'every little helps'.

Where I first heard that was 'Every little helps, sez the oul woman p*ssing into the sea'

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭stannis

Today FM are still running that awful Aviva ad with Mario Rosenstock. Please drop it, Today FM. I'll even make my own ad to replace it if you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Ford 'Swappage' ads. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭LithiumKid1976

dulpit wrote: »

this! Christ, what a cúnt of an add....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I'm genuinely convinced that 90% of the **** who work in advertising departments have no friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

TV licence ads :mad: TV licence inspectors are working hard going from door to door while you are curled up in your sofa watching TV. If TV licence inspectors want to find what hard work really is I could show them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

Sam Kade wrote: »
    TV licence ads :mad: TV licence inspectors are working hard going from door to door while you are curled up in your sofa watching TV. If TV licence inspectors want to find what hard work really is I could show them.

Ye, the one saying "Ah the weekend, time to relax but not for TV license inspectors who are working hard blah blah blah..." ye because no one else works at the weekend... and how many of these guys are there, surely they could just cross reference names from a database, see who bought a new license this year and then send a letter or email etc to the guys who didnt informing them they have 30 days to buy one or recieve an automatic fine... why do they have to knock on your door?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Oh sh*t I love this ad! Ha ha ha

soc160 wrote: »
    Ye, the one saying "Ah the weekend, time to relax but not for TV license inspectors who are working hard blah blah blah..." ye because no one else works at the weekend... and how many of these guys are there, surely they could just cross reference names from a database, see who bought a new license this year and then send a letter or email etc to the guys who didnt informing them they have 30 days to buy one or recieve an automatic fine... why do they have to knock on your door?

They could revive the 'detector van', stick a fake satellite dish or dummy rotating radar thingy on it to scare the public.:pac:
    The tv sponger angle seems to have died a death, not paying your license doesn't have the perceived social stigma it once had.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

That promo for Tony Fenton...

OH GOD WHY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

SSE Air-Tras-Adayyy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The SuperValu wine sale add with Paulo Toolio (sp), christ his voice is annoying
    thank god the sale ended on Wednesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Running across every station this morning. My ears...

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭MelbourneDub

Did you hear the Matchmaker.ie Ad??
    Lads, meet "lovely girls"!

I thought it was a joke... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

The SuperValu wine sale add with Paulo Toolio (sp), christ his voice is annoying
    thank god the sale ended on Wednesday.

Wait. It's not as bad as 'Right ya are, Bobby!' for that very well-known Dublin restaurant which doesn't even need advertising.
    Really. I expect more from Paolo Tullio and Bobby Kerr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

tesco mobile phone ads with the desperate singing. jostling with 1st on the worst ads list with the ford swappage ****e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 BrushyMan

One of last Harvey Norman ads where yer man says : "Are ddthey doin it onanything else?" (literally, just like that) & then follows with: "I'm gonna go there RIGHT NOW" has got to be the WORST ad on the air right now.

Sounds like he's scuttered.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

The SuperValu wine sale add with Paulo Toolio (sp), christ his voice is annoying thank god the sale ended on Wednesday.

I dont understand it when they say "Even Paulo Tuillio is here"... it's sort of said with the tone of "Even that gobsh1te Paulo Tuillio is here".. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

neris wrote: »
    tesco mobile phone ads with the desperate singing. jostling with 1st on the worst ads list with the ford swappage ****e

the tesco one is emphatically top of my worst ads list...annoying as feck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

So conflicted about those 3 ads. The scripts are terrible - but Brian Cox's voice makes me swoon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Who's yer man that does the ads for every theatre procuction in the Abbey, Gaiety, Olympia etc....?

Cuttently doing one for John B Keane's Moll. (He pronounces it Maul).

Does he have some exclusive rights to do all theatre ads?

And is there a stipulation in his contract stating that he has to force a giggled word or two into every ad in an attempt to make us believe that the play is indeed 'hilarious' ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thalia_13

Hot press... Just STOP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

Bill cullens new ad move over range rover yeah as if anyone thinking about a rr would consider a ssanyaong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

neris wrote: »
    Equally the Tesco one where the woman can't be arsed playing with her children in the playground but must desperately fit in some Facebook time on her mobile instead but shock horror there is no wi fi:rolleyes:
    Grates big time.

Equally the Tesco one where the woman can't be arsed playing with her children in the playground but must desperately fit in some Facebook time on her mobile instead but shock horror there is no wi fi:rolleyes:
    Grates big time.

Yep, especially when you need to be on maximum alert in the playground since most children are lemmings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

ofcork wrote: »
    Bill cullens new ad move over range rover yeah as if anyone thinking about a rr would consider a ssanyaong!

If you've lost your shirt in the crash and still want to drive a 4x4 in the city for no reason you may have to... sound rather like Bill & Jackie's career trajectory actually!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

I love the Renault radio ads :D
    Theres also a Toyota ad where a woman (sinead I think) is talking to a friend about how she got a yaris for less, etc etc... and that she got rid of her old golf as part of the deal and how she got much more than she thought it was worth...

VW picked up on it and a while later in one of their "we all make mistakes" ads, theres the sound of a door opening and a woman in hysterics enters, bawling like a mad yoke. Que a very, very sympathetic Sales man, "Whats wrong, Sinead?
    *sniff* "I MADE A TERRIBLE MISTAKE!"
    "Oh?"
    "I TRADED MY OLD GOLF FOR A TOYOTA AND I DON'T LIKE IT BUT I HAVE TO KEEP IT:(:(:("
    we all make mistakes. But investing in a volkswagen will never be one of them. Call into your... ect ect..

Nearly crashed laughing when I heard it:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

What about the lyca mobile ad? What kind of a bloody accent does that woman have? If she was my mammy I wouldn't be calling home either from far flung places to hear that feckin voice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

The Tayto Park one.
    "Mommm!" (stuck up kid in pompous voice) "When are we gow-ing to Tayzho Park? Hawlly is going"
    "They've gosh slides and a washer park and everything, it looks like sew mach fan!"
    "I knew! I can't waish, Oh didn't I tell you? We're going!"

Voiceover lady: "Taysho Park, come and see for yourself"

*PS All typos were intentional.

I also hate the one that goes:

"When will I ever lose my baby weight, will the bank give our mortgage a break...blah blah..why's there always so much to do!"
    She sings the end bit "do" really irritatingly and the whole thing is scarla-for-ya.

Also the one for Lifestyle Sports with the faux American lady saying "real sports APPAREL".. Who do you think you are with your phoney accent?!
    Stop trying to make trackie bottoms sound fashionable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

fussyonion wrote: »
    I also hate the one that goes:

"When will I ever lose my baby weight, will the bank give our mortgage a break...blah blah..why's there always so much to do!"
    She sings the end bit "do" really irritatingly and the whole thing is scarla-for-ya.

The out of tune, shouty 'aaaaaallllwaaaayyss' is what annoys me. I turn down the volume on the radio as soon as I hear the start of the ad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Jesus that is the worst ad ever! Where the guy keeps saying swapp-page. I only heard it yesterday! Twice!!!!! EVIL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I love the Renault radio ads :D
    Theres also a Toyota ad where a woman (sinead I think) is talking to a friend about how she got a yaris for less, etc etc... and that she got rid of her old golf as part of the deal and how she got much more than she thought it was worth...

VW picked up on it and a while later in one of their "we all make mistakes" ads, theres the sound of a door opening and a woman in hysterics enters, bawling like a mad yoke. Que a very, very sympathetic Sales man, "Whats wrong, Sinead?
    *sniff* "I MADE A TERRIBLE MISTAKE!"
    "Oh?"
    "I TRADED MY OLD GOLF FOR A TOYOTA AND I DON'T LIKE IT BUT I HAVE TO KEEP IT:(:(:("
    we all make mistakes. But investing in a volkswagen will never be one of them. Call into your... ect ect..

Nearly crashed laughing when I heard it:D

It's actually not a Sales man in the retort........it's the same two people out for dinner and yer man says to her............I see you are back in your 08 Golf? What happened to your Auris?

It just wasn't a Golf!!!

We all make mistakes....................

Volkswagen actually used the exact same 2 actors from the Auris ad for the Voiceover.

Funny allright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

For some paint or other:

"I like my tea white. 3 sugars, not sweeteners. I also like my bread white. Thick slices, with thick butter, not marge"

I sure he'll also like his cardiologist's coat white.....:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭gigantic09

Love the promo ad on newstalk that features the ex criminal Eddie Cahill telling us that if we met him years back he would likely have a gun in our face,but nowadays he would be selling us a painting.What a smoothie,i'll take two Eddie.

gigantic09 wrote: »
    Love the promo ad on newstalk that features the ex criminal Eddie Cahill telling us that if we met him years back he would likely have a gun in our face,but nowadays he would be selling us a painting.What a smoothie,i'll take two Eddie.

Thanks for that...I couldn't understand what he was selling as his diction is so bad. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Feehyland

I want to kill the woman in the Lycamobile ad, she is extremely annoying you can hear her spitting towards the end of the ad.

What about the lyca mobile ad? What kind of a bloody accent does that woman have? If she was my mammy I wouldn't be calling home either from far flung places to hear that feckin voice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

Jason Byrne's ad for his new show is pleasant on the ears :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭thimble

The Stena ad where they speak in what they think is French. "Très bien prix." Really? Did you use Google translate for that? Actually, no, because Google would have got it right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

statto25 wrote: »
    Jason Byrne's ad for his new show is pleasant on the ears :mad:

Came here to complain about this ad too- God it's not just unfunny, it moves into the realm of negatively funny. It sucks all the hilarity out of the world and just makes you wonder what is the point of life...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

The out of tune, shouty 'aaaaaallllwaaaayyss' is what annoys me. I turn down the volume on the radio as soon as I hear the start of the ad.

That's it! I heard the ad a few times now and there was something off, now it makes sense, can't wait to hear it again and get angrier...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

thimble wrote: »
    The Stena ad where they speak in what they think is French. "Très bien prix." Really? Did you use Google translate for that? Actually, no, because Google would have got it right.

+1

That ad is beyond awful - what an embarrassment! Do they think no-one in the country speaks French, or that there are no native French speakers here?

If I had made a mistake like that in Leaving Cert French, I reckon my teacher would have torn me a new "trou du cul". :D

Just goes to show that there are a lot of people in the advertising "industry" who would not get a job in any other line of work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

I rather enjoy the promo for Ed Smith's new show on Today FM with the priest and "Bridie" launching into The Doors.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement