Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

NIMAN wrote: »
    Did I hear a Euromillions advert a few weeks back start off with "this weeks jackpot is a guaranteed €25million", then end with "...estimated jackpot".

Either its 25mill or its not!

Guaranteed at least 25 million, they're estimating it'll be around that, but if enough play then the prize will grow...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

"It's summertime, which means it's get the garden done time, which means it's get the barbecue out time, which really means it's get that project done time" (TJ O'Mahoney's).

Most annoying ad at the moment, especially the "get that project done time" bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

The ad for stena line. The VoiceOver telling us the listener how great we are. I actually like the vo artist but the ad itself is terrible. It's like it's split into 2 separate ads

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

An ad for another rehashing of Riverdance with James Galway playing in the background.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Dear Bill Cullen:

No-one wants a fucking Ssangyong if they can afford even a used Range Rover, you corporate gimp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭masonchat

Im surprised no one has mentioned the ads on beat 102-103 about people dumping rubbish,fag butts and dog ****e , the voice on that child and the patronising manner of the ad makes me want to dump a six month old bag of scutter all over that kid,

BUT DADDY HOW COULD THEY LET IT COME TO THIS, DIDNT THEY KNOW ,DIDNT THEY CARE??? SLAPPPPPPPPPP

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭denishurley

The voice of the actress on the Lyca Mobile ad really annoys me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

masonchat wrote: »
    ....... makes me want to dump a six month old bag of scutter all over that kid.....

Don't know that ad at all, but that line has to be the funniest Ive read in ages.

Brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

MYOB wrote: »
    UPC ad where they appear to have recorded the first female VO artist down a single-channel G722 ISDN line, from a very echoey voice booth. Or are they doing it for some odd stylistic reason?

The audio is taken from the TV ad I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Sir Scallywag and his flippin' underpants. And that girl's falsetto voice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

The Ad for the John B. Keane play "Moll" which declares that he is Ireland's greatest writer. Apart from the fact that he's dead, I think he would be embarrassed at the description - good and all as he was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

The Ad for the John B. Keane play "Moll" which declares that he is Ireland's greatest writer. Apart from the fact that he's dead, I think he would be embarrassed at the description - good and all as he was.

I hate that fake snigger he does on the voiceover too, like the play is so hilarious he can't read his lines without laughing. It wouldn't bother me if it was genuine but it's just so dead sounding.

The ad for O'Brien's Sandwiches is so far up its own it's like a fractal image. You hear the opening two seconds and wonder, "Is this an ad for a new Asian restaurant?" and then you hear the name "O'Brien's".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

The ad for the Fresh Fruit Company.
    Two inane D4 women talking about shoite, using fruit as a funny replacement for certain words.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

fussyonion wrote: »
    The ad for the Fresh Fruit Company.
    Two inane D4 women talking about shoite, using fruit as a funny replacement for certain words.

I actually think that's quite a good ad. I do love a good pun, though.

It's probably more to do with whatever prejudice you have against people who speak with that accent. Having a problem with [whatever] accent is something I never understand, being honest. It's just the way people speak in certain places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The voice of the actress on the Lyca Mobile ad really annoys me

Sort of dithers between fake American and Irish Mammy.

Also, ads with stupid plinky music (AXA I think is an offender) and 'whistling', esp. that fake synth whistling.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭LithiumKid1976

Eircon phone watch have a new add, in it, they have a fire-alarm ringing, very loudly, while some one informs you of the service provided.

i had to switch it off. no one wants to hear an alarm in an add. (not at 8:30 in the morning at least)

to make it worse, they have a follow up add, about 30 seconds later, with the same alarm...

BRUTAL>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

The James Bond-themed Leopardstown Inn one.

By Christ, I hope that idea was just bunged together by their marketing person and that no professional ad agency was involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Fackney ringwood

The worst thing I ever heard on an advert and it's an actual business name lol

The James Bond-themed Leopardstown Inn one.

By Christ, I hope that idea was just bunged together by their marketing person and that no professional ad agency was involved.

It's still better than their last one featuring an astronaut and Elvis. I can't believe the place is as God awful a kip as the advertising makes it sound - well I can actually. :D

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

italodisco wrote: »
    Fackney ringwood

The worst thing I ever heard on an advert and it's an actual business name lol
    Bit harsh, it's just the surnames of the founder owners. Peter Faichney and Roy Ringwood. It's called Spirit Motor Group now, afaik.

That "this is a radio ad" radio ad about the European elections. Jesus...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

That oul biddy on the UPC telling us about how the kids "were really unhappy with slow broadband" drives me to distraction... She wouldnt know her broadband from a rubber band..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

"The new Volkswagen deal..." [cough, cough, splutter, repeat]

and

"C'mon Ireland! I'm going to my first wugby game"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Resonator75

That rape crisis add that starts as a fairy tale and then turns pretty nasty.

I'm a bloke and I 101% agree with the sentiment but I find they way they mix rape and fairy tales really disconcerting and offensive.

I mean kids are listening to this crap. Unreal. What image does this add create in their minds??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

I'm a bloke and I 101% agree with the sentiment but I find they way they mix rape and fairy tales really disconcerting and offensive.

I find all of their advertising insulting tbh... There's the implied reference that all men are wife beating b*stards... If you replaced the word "man" in their ads with "Traveller" (or any minority group), it wouldnt be accepted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

There's the implied reference that all men are wife beating b*stards...

Yes, the old "every man is a potential rapist" myth. Haven't heard the exact ad, but I've heard enough like it. They're deeply insulting and nasty, and woe betide any man who has the cheek to object... :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

That "this is a radio ad" radio ad about the European elections. Jesus...

Heard this one today. It's shocking that people actually get paid to come up with these things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

That rape crisis add that starts as a fairy tale and then turns pretty nasty.

I mean kids are listening to this crap. Unreal. What image does this add create in their minds??

The first time I heard that ad was at 8.30am on a weekday morning and I was like, fecking hell!

Not to take away from the work they do, but I don't know if that ad is appropriate tbh.

Interestingly, and totally off-topic, if you read a lot of the original fairy tales they are incredibly dark with quite a bit of innuendo to avoid sexual and other predators. In the original Sleeping Beauty, the prince has sex with Sleeping Beauty while she's asleep and she gets pregnant and everything!

That stockbrokers ad with the intelligent woman and the dumb as a sack of sh!t man.

• Advertisement

the dumb as a sack of sh!t man.

You took that from that ad? It's not the best, but you'd want to be deliberately looking for offence to take that out of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,321 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

The Stenaline ad where the guy with the horrifically annoying voice is getting over-excited about going to Wales with a friend.

I'm now waiting at Holyhead ferry port with a pitchfork, making sure he doesn't set foot off the boat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

DarkJager wrote: »
    I hate that fake snigger he does on the voiceover too, like the play is so hilarious he can't read his lines without laughing. It wouldn't bother me if it was genuine but it's just so dead sounding.

... And to me, it sounds like he's calling the play "Maul". Is it some kind of action/horror play?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

The new ad for campion insurance and Roberts mother repeatedly telling him to get a pension set up, "but why Robert its so blooming easy, just set up a pension" for **** sake, who gets paid to make this ****e up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

whupdedo wrote: »
    The new ad for campion insurance and Roberts mother repeatedly telling him to get a pension set up, "but why Robert its so blooming easy, just set up a pension" for **** sake, who gets paid to make this ****e up.

I have to turn her off. She has the most irritating voice I have ever heard. If I were Robert I'd move out, never mind get a pension.

You took that from that ad? It's not the best, but you'd want to be deliberately looking for offence to take that out of it!

If you reversed the genders, there would be complaints.
    He sounds like he needs his food cut up into small pieces for him.

If you reversed the genders, there would be complaints.
    He sounds like he needs his food cut up into small pieces for him.

She sounds like she's far too blonde to know anything about anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Fiolina

I'm sure it's been mentioned here already but the one who does the ad for Dunnes "fantastic Friday" sounds like she's going to pee her pants with the excitement of the special offers. Also the one doing the Lyca mobile ad has the most horrible, grating voice I've ever heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Fiolina wrote: »
    I'm sure it's been mentioned here already but the one who does the ad for Dunnes "fantastic Friday" sounds like she's going to pee her pants with the excitement of the special offers. Also the one doing the Lyca mobile ad has the most horrible, grating voice I've ever heard.

Call your Mommy...........if you sound like that Mother we will only ever communicate by SMS to save my ears.
    Also the ad is in Ireland, you have Mammy/Mam/Ma/ even Mum I'll say but Mommy is bloody American.

• Advertisement

I cant believe there are people out there who can put food on the table coming up with tripe like 'This is a Radio Add'
    I bet they have a bloody MA in Marketing also. What is it with the lack of spark or originality? Is it a pre requisite that you must have no talent to make this sh!te?

Where so I sign up? I can do better than this...

I'm convinced the vast majority of people working in radio advertising failed to make the cut in Britain. :pac:

I'd love if there was an app or something to filter out all radio ads on the grounds of aural pollution.

I get through a lot Newstalk/RTE/Today FM in a day and a good chunk of the programming is pretty good generally but then the adds come on and oh my god... I know adds are a necessary evil but why do most of them have to be so goddamn awful? Is that the point, make them so bad you cant forget them?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭DuckStab

Totally agree. By Jaysis there is some amount of sh1te being broadcast. In olden times there would be one abomination sandwiched between the usual mediocrity but it's now gotten to the point where every single ad in a break is unutterable tripe. I'll take a recent one as an example;

DID Electrical's great day EWT in Dunboyne KEWNty Meath.

Lyca mobile, an ad that calls for an interfering mammy type and as a result casts a ditzy early 20something on a sugar high.

Phone insurance "Hahaha, nice birthday suit MAAAANNNN". Cringe. "Beware of cheap imitations" says a chap evidently devoid of any sense of irony, given that he is appearing in what is naught but a cheap imitation of an advertisement.

Carphone WareHEWS, voiced again by the offending specimen from Exhibit A, as though he's the go-to guy for any ad with an "ou" sound.

Cirque du Soleil's DRALIIUM [sic], where borders vanish! But tickets clearly don't, given the 5 month advertising blitz.

THIS IS A RADIO AAAAAAD!
    ...that last one just beggars belief. The others, yeah, they're awful but you sort of understand them. But to try and convince people to vote in the European elections, they decide on the time-tested method of having a group of people sing the previously spoken line? I... what?! What otherworldly leap of logic lead to this airwave atrocity?

Just ask yourself how exactly an ad like that gets through the process of A) conception B) pitch C) acceptance D) recording and E) broadcast without one single person at any one point saying "This makes absolutely no sense"?

Permanent TSB, "Are you feeling switchy?" Yes, *switches off radio*

I sometimes try to comfort myself with the notion that all the major advertising companies are playing a big game of Go for Broke, where the first one to bankruptcy wins. Then I hear Ben Dunne and Thomas Gear and that fantasy comes to a screeching halt.

DuckStab wrote: »
    Totally agree. By Jaysis there is some amount of sh1te being broadcast. In olden times there would be one abomination sandwiched between the usual mediocrity but it's now gotten to the point where every single ad in a break is unutterable tripe. I'll take a recent one as an example;

DID Electrical's great day EWT in Dunboyne KEWNty Meath.

Lyca mobile, an ad that calls for an interfering mammy type and as a result casts a ditzy early 20something on a sugar high.

Phone insurance "Hahaha, nice birthday suit MAAAANNNN". Cringe. "Beware of cheap imitations" says a chap evidently devoid of any sense of irony, given that he is appearing in what is naught but a cheap imitation of an advertisement.

Carphone WareHEWS, voiced again by the offending specimen from Exhibit A, as though he's the go-to guy for any ad with an "ou" sound.

Cirque du Soleil's DRALIIUM [sic], where borders vanish! But tickets clearly don't, given the 5 month advertising blitz.

THIS IS A RADIO AAAAAAD!
    ...that last one just beggars belief. The others, yeah, they're awful but you sort of understand them. But to try and convince people to vote in the European elections, they decide on the time-tested method of having a group of people sing the previously spoken line? I... what?! What otherworldly leap of logic lead to this airwave atrocity?

Just ask yourself how exactly an ad like that gets through the process of A) conception B) pitch C) acceptance D) recording and E) broadcast without one single person at any one point saying "This makes absolutely no sense"?

Permanent TSB, "Are you feeling switchy?" Yes, *switches off radio*

I sometimes try to comfort myself with the notion that all the major advertising companies are playing a big game of Go for Broke, where the first one to bankruptcy wins. Then I hear Ben Dunne and Thomas Gear and that fantasy comes to a screeching halt.

Thanks for the laugh ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

No one has mentioned their best radio ad yet.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

jca wrote: »

My one was the ad for shave or dye where I thought that ray D'Arcy was actually going to die, so it was actually my favourite for about 15 seconds but then I just ended up hating it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

whupdedo wrote: »
    My one was the ad for shave or dye where I thought that ray D'Arcy was actually going to die, so it was actually my favourite for about 15 seconds but then I just ended up hating it
    :D:D:D No such luck..

jca wrote: »

Au contraire http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79249432&postcount=3515 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Link doesn't work.....

What was the ad?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement