Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

That "this is a radio ad" radio ad about the European elections. Jesus...

Heard that for the first time yesterday. Bloody awful. It will probably be dug out with minor variations at every election.
    Somebody somewhere is having a laugh, i.e. whoever came up with that rubbish, and got paid for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Fiolina

Has anyone heard the ad for U magazine?Is it me or does the girl doing it have a really obvious speech impediment/lisp? Strange:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Link doesn't work.....

What was the ad?

Think from the name and the Guinness reference that it was for MMDS (if anyone remembers or still has to suffer that abomination...).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I'm convinced the vast majority of people working in radio advertising cant do joined-up writing yet :pac:

fyp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Link doesn't work.....

What was the ad?

Sorry link used to work - here it is. A bit of thought went into this Ad which is more than can be said for 99.99% of those produced these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

Sorry link used to work - here it is. A bit of thought went into this Ad which is more than can be said for 99.99% of those produced these days.

Meh, don't really see why that's so good, it's nice and creative but how often do you hear 50 second ad's these days, it's all about saving money, so a quick 20 second message is more effective these days.

soc160 wrote: »
    Meh, don't really see why that's so good, it's nice and creative but how often do you hear 50 second ad's these days, it's all about saving money, so a quick 20 second message is more effective these days.

I didn't say it was good but I find it amusing.

I haven't timed any Ads recently but I find most of them highly ineffective regardless of length. There's one very recent one that goes on quite a while and near the end it starts telling you all that you need with your application, PPS number etc. and I still haven't the faintest what's it's about. Keep it simple, keep mentioning the product name.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

I didn't say it was good but I find it amusing.

I haven't timed any Ads recently but I find most of them highly ineffective regardless of length. There's one very recent one that goes on quite a while and near the end it starts telling you all that you need with your application, PPS number etc. and I still haven't the faintest what's it's about. Keep it simple, keep mentioning the product name.....

Ye good point, repetition is key. I know the ad, it was probably to do with voting, was some government ****e anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

There's an ad I've heard a couple of times lately, featuring the voice of a child who cannot pronounce his words correctly. I think it's supposed to promote some hotel. Jebas, it's woeful to listen too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

The Pat McDonnell Paints ad to the tune of E-I-E-I-O is so comically bad it's actually cheers me up from laughing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 The Hurricane

Just to give you an insight into the way these things work, as someone who used to work as an account manager, in a leading Irish owned advertising agency and did some copy-writing and wrote and produced and did voice-overs in several good radio adverts and some not so good. Basically you have the clients brief of what they want to archive from the ad target market who they want to appeal to etc etc. then the creatives who will work on a concept and a few ideas for the radio advert. They will then present these to the account manager who will then review them and either shoot them down, approve them as some that may fly, or others that may fly with some work. Basically its the clients call they get the flak, live with the results and the product or brands performance afterwards.

After 6 years in the industry I can sum it up in one sentence : Some of the best ideas for advertising will never see the light of day.

A client / company will say we can't do that it would insult our loyal customers, people will stop buying our products if we do this advert, or their career will nose dive etc etc etc. I remember once doing a shoot with a Hungarian model for an FM-CG and all the client was worried about was that her boobs were not big enough, I joke you not. I also worked with a celebrity and after 10 takes we realized they would never be able to go in the direction we were giving them as they just didn't get the concept of what we meant by it the were of limited intelligence. I'd love to write a book someday but I'm sure I'd be sued, half the industry is full of people full of themselves aloof and self fulfilling and half really decent down to earth people. There's a good book "e." which is a whole collection of e-mails from an advertising agency in London some of the stuff is outrageous but Id say most of it actually happened.

One copywriter I worked with was so talented with words he could shoehorn ideas into the most basic brands and products. I went out of my way to sell his ideas even though it affected my relationship with the client sometimes. He'd always slag me going you didn't sell it it was perfect I failed the agency all this kind of stuff. Even now I could tell you his adverts on the radio even though iv'e been out of the industry for 10 years and don't even know what brands he works on. Very talented guy who could be writing material on any stage in the world but Id say he just loves Ireland and is happy with his lot here. I think it was an exciting time and enjoyed it but you could only do it for so long.

So don't always blame the people who write the adverts they may have wanted something else and had a great idea /concept that got the size 10 drop kicked into row Z before it ever got to the recording studio. After doing it for a while I can tell you trying to come up with an advert with a deadline looming is difficult to do the ideas don't always flow so freely.

Ill have a think about some of the best i remember and will post them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

^^^^ Brilliant post!
    There's a good book "e." which is a whole collection of e-mails from an advertising agency in London some of the stuff is outrageous but Id say most of it actually happened.

Any further details on that book? Searching Amazon gives me about 10 million results. It sounds really interesting, given the discussions that we have on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭denishurley

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

half the industry is full of people full of themselves aloof and self fulfilling and half really decent down to earth people.

This is the only part i'd dispute, it's more 80:20 than 50:50

Great read all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

There's an ad that's been on RTE radio for the TV licence.
    In it one guy states that:

"..the quality has gone through the roof.."

REALLY...????
    What fcukin channel is HE watchin'??????:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

That rape crisis add that starts as a fairy tale and then turns pretty nasty.

I think a complaint should be made about this ad... I've had enough of The Rape Crisis Centre with their blanket stereotyping of all men as wife beaters and sexual deviants.. Who can I complain to, the BAI?

00031a30-400.jpg

Deegan!!

I think a complaint should be made about this ad... I've had enough of The Rape Crisis Centre with their blanket stereotyping of all men as wife beaters and sexual deviants.. Who can I complain to, the BAI?

http://www.asai.ie/complain.asp

fricatus wrote: »

Thanks! Just completed the complaint form. Apart from the infantile nature of the Ad, I object to it being broadcast throughout the day when little ears can hear it! Has anybody noticed its strange similarity to the appalling 'Coffee Stain on your Wall' Ad?

• Advertisement

Has anybody noticed its strange similarity to the appalling 'Coffee Stain on your Wall' Ad?

Not sure I've ever heard that one. Is it current? What product is it for?

It's current but I genuinely can't remember what it's advertising - really great Ad. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

Has anybody noticed its strange similarity to the appalling 'Coffee Stain on your Wall' Ad?

yeah i noticed that. havent heard the rape crisis ad for a while. some fella was on liveline a week or two ago complaining about it and put forward a fairly decent argument that it should be pulled

The Pat McDonnell Paints ad to the tune of E-I-E-I-O is so comically bad it's actually cheers me up from laughing!

I heard this for the first time yesterday. It's really baaaad!

I can't stand the "I'm not a doctor....." PTSB ad.

I'm gonna write something on there later, thanks...

I think Ger Ryan (voiceover on the ad) should ask herself some questions as well.. I dont know if she has any boys in her family, but it's bad enough that herself and her unimaginative advertising friends persistently try to tell young men that men are stupid without trying to convince them that they are wife beaters as well.

Yeah I didnt think that they could top their last ad for complete amateur-ness, but they've managed to make the second coat worse than the first...

"Pat McDonald had some paint, E I E I O... ":pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Some kind of paint as well.
    I think.

It's on Radio 1 all the time at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Some kind of paint as well.
    I think.

It's on Radio 1 all the time at the moment.

Dulux, definitely Dulux. I know because I made a mental note not to buy their paint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Dulux, definitely Dulux. I know because I made a mental note not to buy their paint.

Yep, it's Dulux. It genuinely sounds like two ads playing over each other, and is so nonsensical that it's not obvious who the ad is for.

Also, as my GF pointed out, how often do you get coffee stains on a wall???

dulpit wrote: »
    Yep, it's Dulux. It genuinely sounds like two ads playing over each other, and is so nonsensical that it's not obvious who the ad is for.

Also, as my GF pointed out, how often do you get coffee stains on a wall???

Tripping. At least that's the reason I was given for the one on the (fabric-covered) wall behind my desk when I started.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

Jesus this ad is still on and it's JUNE!!
    It's on Newstalk for the Trump Hotel in Clare or wherever.
    It features slow, wistful, plinky piano music, with somemid-atlantic husky voiced ad person whispering,
    “What if the biggest decision you had to make this May, waswhether you preferred wonderful golf…(sensuously exhales) …or luxuuuuriousspaah treatments…, or simply…exploring..the beautiful..west..coast…”
    :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Resonator75

Homestore and more, would you ever phuk off with the same add you been running for 100 years. I hate that blokes voice.

O mara camping, yet another utterly non nonsensical add - a guy goes into a shop and claims to have invented tents ?? wtf?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

It seems like summer, and now it's time to dust off that bogger and his banjo for the Falain ad.

Just had a reply back from the Advertising Standards Authority - funny I haven't heard the Ad recently anyway...

Ad+complaint.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,321 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

The ad with the guy sneering at you.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

The ad with the guy sneering at you.

:(

You need to be a bit more specific there my friend, I can think of around five ads with someone sneering...

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Dargull

"Mommy where's the buckets in case I wanna wash the car so we can go on holidays"
    WTF is that ad all about!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

The radio ad where the mother takes her son to the doctor and there is a queue. The son says to his mother in the most annoying whinny false accent "Mom when is the doctor going to see me my orrim really hurts :mad: The mother says it won't be long now son with of course an equally annoying false accent. It makes me want to smash the radio. I still don't know what they are advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

**** off, Q-Park.

The ad for City College - "Hi, I'm Owen O Weilly.....Bawwy Murphy...he can't pronounce his rrrrrrs

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

iRadio have a really annoying ad for the Dail Bar, Galway. Your one on it says "Fridays at the Dail Bar" about 6 times and also seems to pronounce it "Dawh bar". Does my nut in.

• Advertisement

Geraldine here, blah blah blah

Hang on Geraldine, who the hell are you and why do you presume I know you? you pretentious so an so....

Dargull wrote: »
    "Mommy where's the buckets in case I wanna wash the car so we can go on holidays"
    WTF is that ad all about!

I'd be concerned that the kid sounds like its about to murder the mother if she says no :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

Hang on Geraldine, who the hell are you and why do you presume I know you? you pretentious so an so....

Is that Geraldine of Discount Electrical?
    geraldine%2Bodonoghue%2Bdiscount%2Belectrical.jpg

cml387 wrote: »
    Is that Geraldine of Discount Electrical?
    geraldine%2Bodonoghue%2Bdiscount%2Belectrical.jpg

Lol, it would appear so. Stuffed up appliance sales person with airs and graces is it? lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

By now, I have a deep desire to throttle that woman on the UPC ad. She's on the radio and tv, day and night.

Lol, it would appear so. Stuffed up appliance sales person with airs and graces is it? lol

Yeah, there's a definite mid-Leinster twang that creeps through the elocution whenever she says "range cookers".

She used to annoy me, but now she's sort of part of the furniture. "Oh yeah, there's Geraldine!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

"Moll at he gaiety " ..... Such an annoying ad , I will never go to this no matter how long they extend it for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

"Its never been so much fun filling up at topaz"? Its a petrol station, how the heck is putting petrol in your car meant to be fun

asimorobot_48.jpg

"One of the best shows I've ever seen in my life".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Do they not realise that those 'reviews' from real people smack of desperation? I mean, you're having bother shifting tickets if you need Mick from Mayo to say it's the greatest show he's ever seen. Would put me right off going.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement