Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

"the kids were really fed up with slow broadband"..

After upgrading to UPC, both of the boys can now stream redtube.com to their bedrooms without any buffering..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

"the kids were really fed up with slow broadband"..

After upgrading to UPC, both of the boys can now stream redtube.com to their bedrooms without any buffering..
    There's something about the smug way she says "We're fibre powered".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Wall to wall ads for 3 on every radio station wtf!!:mad:

There's also a new one from the Law Society of Ireland - contact your solicitor if you're having any problems...what a load of crap. I have had plenty of dealings with the useless sods over the years and this ad should be banned under the Trades Descriptions Act.

There's also a new one from the Law Society of Ireland - contact your solicitor if you're having any problems...what a load of crap. I have had plenty of dealings with the useless sods over the years and this ad should be banned under the Trades Descriptions Act.

Just because you've had a bad experience with solicitors doesn't mean ....uh sorry. Carry on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

That ad cracks me up. Imagine going to your solicitor because your dog ran away or your girlfriend cheated on you.

Maybe a few of us Boardsies should take this ad literally and pester the Law Society with stupid problems until they take that ad off the airwaves!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's an ad for some "spread" (so, not butter I presume) that sounds like the contents of an ad execs brain after a hard comedown from some charlie.

Just checked and it seems that the John Bishop gig isn't til December. Are we going to have an entire summer and autumn of "IT'S THE WARDROBES FAULT!"?

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭denishurley

MYOB wrote: »
    There's an ad for some "spread" (so, not butter I presume) that sounds like the contents of an ad execs brain after a hard comedown from some charlie.

Just checked and it seems that the John Bishop gig isn't til December. Are we going to have an entire summer and autumn of "IT'S THE WARDROBES FAULT!"?

Dairymaid, the one with the cows singing but Daisy's out of tune?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

The latest one from Hyundai with the man pronouncing it "High 'n' Die".
    It's feckin HyUNdai you moron!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Fiolina

"At river medical....." grrrr.

Pity they wouldn't do a non-surgical procedure on yer woman's nose and get rid of her nasal, whiny tone

Anyone heard the new Diarmuid Gavin ad... I think he's got a touch of blight or something..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

those ford ads. really grating on your ears

Every time Toyota bring out another "Best Built Cars In The World" ad, it seems to be accompanied by another recall ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Any ad where they space out the words;
    e.g. 'Mo. Ti. Vat. Ion. Cli. Nic.'

Stop it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

LynnGrace wrote: »
    Any ad where they space out the words;
    e.g. 'Mo. Ti. Vat. Ion. Cli. Nic.'

Stop it!

AKA "we ordered 30 seconds and the agency wrote 20 seconds of copy, sort it out"

The ad for Grow Shop with the annoying little fcuker with the American accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Fiolina wrote: »
    The ad for Grow Shop with the annoying little fcuker with the American accent.

Thank you, Fiolina. I am glad not to be alone on this. Any time I hear the advert, I want to put my hands through the radio and ring the effer's neck. Bloody annoying accent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭uggybear

The Newstalk ad for an Australian styled sportsbar in Parnell Street, Dublin with a Male voiceover who's got a really annoying Australian accent that's often played during the Off The Ball ad breaks

Trebor176 wrote: »
    Thank you, Fiolina. I am glad not to be alone on this. Any time I hear the advert, I want to put my hands through the radio and ring the effer's neck. Bloody annoying accent!

i always took those grow shop ads as promoting accesories for helping certain herbs & plants that dont grow in an irish climate. terrible ads.

neris wrote: »
    i always took those grow shop ads as promoting accesories for helping certain herbs & plants that dont grow in an irish climate. terrible ads.

So did I and wondering why an obnoxious little $hite of a child was promoting them. What are they then?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I heard an awful ad with some child talking about washing the car for a holiday? I think it was for a ferry company, the ad company should be ashamed of themselves, it's brutal...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

dulpit wrote: »
    I heard an awful ad with some child talking about washing the car for a holiday? I think it was for a ferry company, the ad company should be ashamed of themselves, it's brutal...
    That and the kid talking about the grow-bag/shop/whatever (I have no idea what that ad is actually about, apart from as others have said thinking it was promoting growing drugs :eek:) have me completely mystified.

How did they make it off the page, never mind onto the air :confused:

All the ads for Volkswagen on radio are lame.
    But there's one in which a woman going is going into labour and then after checking with the husband that the bag is ready, the car is full of petrol etc., she drives herself off to hospital while asking the husband to remember to put the dog out before you go back to bed.

Is this the most nonsensical ad ever produced for radio? What aspect of Volkswagen cars makes them suitable for driving by women who are in labour?
    And why does the dog have to be put out?? If the husband is going back to bed, surely he was already in the house while they were asleep. Unless the dog got in somehow to see what all the commotion was about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I hate the new ads for Velvet toilet tissue. There are a few variations. The fella's voice doesn't annoy me but the woman just goes through me.

In one version the man talks and she replies with a "w-w-w-wow", and turns it into four syllables somehow. Then later in the ad she says "w-w-w-watch out for special offers", again, doing a weird sort of laughing/Family Guy 'cool whip' thing on the W.

Now that I've noticed it I can't unhear it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

There's an ad for pharmaceutical company Sanofi Pasteur with Mary O'Rourke. So far, so bad.

But what rescues it for me is that the guy at the end pronounces it "Snuffy Pasteur". Always makes me smile. Big pharma really should look into using cuddly names...

There's an ad for pharmaceutical company Sanofi Pasteur with Mary O'Rourke. So far, so bad.

But what rescues it for me is that the guy at the end pronounces it "Snuffy Pasteur". Always makes me smile. Big pharma really should look into using cuddly names...
    I hate these ads where you are warned about catching some horrible condtion (culictus spondulickus or something) for which the advertiser may just happen to have a cure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭serfboard

cml387 wrote: »
    And why does the dog have to be put out?? If the husband is going back to bed, surely he was already in the house while they were asleep. Unless the dog got in somehow to see what all the commotion was about.
    Your forensic analysis suggests to me you are paying far too much attention to ads ... ;)

serfboard wrote: »
    Your forensic analysis suggests to me you are paying far too much attention to ads ... ;)
    I know:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

If any of Ye are in the south east. Tune in to south east radio and feast your ears on the latest Donohes Skoda ad, it is truly awful embarrassing in fact.

Why is King Lear on a Volkswagen ad...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

ivytwine wrote: »
    Why is King Lear on a Volkswagen ad...

And King Lear misquoted, to boot...

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

cml387 wrote: »
    There's something about the smug way she says "We're fibre powered".
    Ah yes, the way she told her friend Jane.......
    I love this ad also:)

The ad for the National Aquatic Centre with Finny the fupping Frog. Oooh how I'd love to punch him in his froggy face:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭thesaurus2

is this the right thread in which to say those 2fm voices - the "cool" guy and the "with it" girl that pop up on every 2fm promo since Dan Healy took over are beyond irritating?

thesaurus2 wrote: »
    is this the right thread in which to say those 2fm voices - the "cool" guy and the "with it" girl that pop up on every 2fm promo since Dan Healy took over are beyond irritating?

I gave up on 2fm years ago. Terrible station.

dvcireland wrote: »
    Just heard the radio promo for this:

evt_2_5831273__conal_gallen_play_image.jpg

Embarrassing.

• Advertisement

That Diarmuid Gavin loo roll ad... Terrible!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Anyone hear that Corona ad with "Dancing in the Moonlight" in the background? It's so cheesy - like something you'd hear on the Simpsons or Grand Theft Auto! :eek:

It even mentions that it's low in calories... (pause) ... but high in taste! :cool:

Yeah! Maaan! Coool!

Come to think of it, practically any ad for American beer is lame. I think Corona is Mexican, but they definitely got the Yanks to do the ad. There's one on TV for Miller I think, about having "this ciddy, this moment...".

Lame, lame, lame!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

The Diarmuid Gavin toilet paper ads (I'm pretty sure there's more than one) make me want to slap him (I'm not a violent person and have never been in a fight). He's so smug, and it seems a la Craig Doyle that there is now nothing this corporate shill will not advertise.

What bothers me on another level is the selection of Gavin to promote such a bizarre product so unrelated to his day job (as is the norm for most of these relationships). The only logical conclusion I can draw is that the brand owners were attracted to him as he'd full of s***.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

This ones back::(

"I wander if you cud do somting for me...."
    "Kah-lowes ur highs!"
    "Is it sweet?.....Is it sweet?......It's OVER the bar!"

heard a deperate ad last night for somthing which i think may have been for a mexican restaurant or food stand. I couldnt really tell coz i think the chap below & his wife were doing voice overs on it

Bumblebee_Man.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

That ad with the young wan wanting to know where the bucket is so she can wash the car.
    I don't even know what it's for.

MJ23 wrote: »
    That ad with the young wan wanting to know where the bucket is so she can wash the car.
    I don't even know what it's for.

He's so unclear that for ages I thought he was saying "Mum, when do you kick the bucket?!" :eek:

ivytwine wrote: »
    He's so unclear that for ages I thought he was saying "Mum, when do you kick the bucket?!" :eek:

He? :eek:

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    He? :eek:

:eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Dacia....you do the maths. The only positive is that they made sure maths is plural.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭mackerski

Dacia....you do the maths. The only positive is that they made sure maths is plural.

I don't trust any company that can't pronounce it's own name.

mackerski wrote: »
    I don't trust any company that can't pronounce it's own name.

Careful there, because it could well be one of those one's that's pronounced differently per market!

UK: Purr-joe, Ireland: Pew-joe
    USA: Hoonday, Ireland: High-OON-die (I even heard a UK ad once that sounded a bit like "ssshhhOONday" with a hissing sound at the start - probably how it's actually pronounced in Korean).

I'd have thought Dacia would rhyme with "race ya", but I heard an ad where it was called "Dacha". I don't know anyone who would say Dacha...

fricatus wrote: »
    Careful there, because it could well be one of those one's that's pronounced differently per market!

USA: Hoonday, Ireland: High-OON-die (I even heard a UK ad once that sounded a bit like "ssshhhOONday" with a hissing sound at the start - probably how it's actually pronounced in Korean).

I'd have thought Dacia would rhyme with "race ya", but I heard an ad where it was called "Dacha". I don't know anyone who would say Dacha...

And I would instinctively say "Dacha" because it looks like Italian to me :D

But they're not Italian, are they? So gawd knows how it's actually pronounced in its home country.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    And I would instinctively say "Dacha" because it looks like Italian to me :D

But they're not Italian, are they? So gawd knows how it's actually pronounced in its home country.

That would make sense, because it's a Romanian brand, and the Romanian language has a lot in common with Italian. The whole R-O-M thing is a dead giveaway!

I speak Italian myself and any time I've listened to Romanian being spoken, it's been unbelievable how much I've been able to pick out. As an Italian, you would probably understand half of it without making any effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭mackerski

fricatus wrote: »

It's pronounced Dachia. It's hard to see why anybody would need to shield the Irish public from such a straightforward sound. Don't get me started on Pew-Joe and voaks-wagon...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement