Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

8mv wrote: »
    Just heard the ad for Advanced Pitstop on Newstalk - offensive on just about every level.

Is it a bad time to mention that they used JobBridge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,598 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

The ads for Shane Filan's tour make it sound like a threat (which some people may view it as)...

HE'S BACK!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

The ads for Shane Filan's tour make it sound like a threat (which some people may view it as)... HE'S BACK!!!

I suppose it makes a change for him to be the one making the threats, instead of receiving them..

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

Hi, I'm George. Mid 60's, widowed, and I've joined Two's Company.
    Great service!

I fukin hate this ad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭MsBubbles

That awful VHI Swiftcare Clinic ad. The narrator sounds so sinister when he says start the clock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

Someone please fire the Leopardstown Inn ad guy. Painfully unfunny dross that gets worse with each listen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Probably been mentioned already but the Renault Belgard Road with the court case and the judge says "I judge that to be a good bargain" or something equally stupid, followed by a female voice over giving Renault Belgard's details in a French accent that would not be out of place on Allo! Allo!

"pleasing bargain" which I can only imagine is a completely failed pun on "plea bargain"

That Galway Races ad seems to go on forever...

"When I told my friend Jane"

YOU DONT HAVE ANY F**KING FRIENDS !!!

please god only another week of that AWFUL ad..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

"Comedy" Dublin accents should be banned. Hashtag annoying Hashtag feckoff Hashtag notbuyingyourproduct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Until they re-run the exact same offer after a month of it being off-air…..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Who thought it would be a good idea to have Diarmuid Gavin do a bogroll ad?! I don't get it, you'd associate him with gardening, not environmentally friendly bogroll. And the stupid laugh about buying a load of it - wtf?

I thought the ad for the Garth Brooks "Friends In Low Places" live thingy was funny...

"Come to the Garth Brooks Experience next weekend in Dublin... Important notice: This event is NOT subject to planning permission..." :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,071 ✭✭✭✭neris

8mv wrote: »
    Just heard the ad for Advanced Pitstop on Newstalk - offensive on just about every level.

creepy and weird

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Agreed, I hate the bloody thing, but look how many of us are talking about it! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

It's like someone in UPC was given a whack load of money to advertise the brand, so instead of doing a creative campaign they decided to run the same 30 seconds of audio again and again until no one likes it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

madmaggie wrote: »
    Agreed, I hate the bloody thing, but look how many of us are talking about it! :rolleyes:

Perhaps, but I doubt that the inane ad will persuade any of us to switch to UPC. A vast industry has grown up around trying to persuade people to switch phone provider, power provider, TV provider, insurance provider and it all has zero effect on me.

Dunnes Stores Weekly Wonders.... The big wan from Fair City having an orgasm over half priced toilet rolls... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Joe Duffy..

One for the Radisson hotel in Galway, the guy doing the voice over sounds like he's having a stroke.

• Advertisement

The ad for Velux Windows - "Lionel get rid of your vinyl and that's final" or some shoyte like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Blackrock clinic with the reassuring senior nurse motherly type "when your experience needs ourssssh", they left out the bit where they ask what plan insurance you have and that most of the insurance companies don't cover the emergency dept treatments .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

"He's a Dub just like you"
    "I'm from Drumcondra, can't you tell from the accent?" (Eh no because Drumcondra doesn't have its' own accent).
    "He's the fill-in guy for the next few weeks"
    "Aw don't call me the fill-in guy"
    "Join me for drive-time, it's all about me cos I'm Damien McCaul."

:mad::mad:

That women's insurance ad...

"Everybody knows that women are better drivers, even in some challenging footwear"...

So it's okay with the insurance company that their clients would put wearing fashionable shoes ahead of wearing shoes that they can drive safely in? I dont know what annoys me more about that ad, the smugness or the contradiction..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

"Everybody knows that women are better drivers, even in some challenging footwear"...

So it's okay with the insurance company that their clients would put wearing fashionable shoes ahead of wearing shoes that they can drive safely in? I dont know what annoys me more about that ad, the smugness or the contradiction..

I just heard it yesterday I hit the mute button after the challenging footwear bit. I didn't even get to the end of the ad, terrible tripe!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Insurance ads targetting women are utterly pointless anyway as they have to give identical rates to men of the same circumstances. All you can do to try get women over men is target stereotyped occupations, which isn't guaranteed to work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

MYOB wrote: »
    Insurance ads targetting women are utterly pointless anyway as they have to give identical rates to men of the same circumstances. All you can do to try get women over men is target stereotyped occupations, which isn't guaranteed to work.

If I told my insurance company I was driving in high heels or something theyd probably put the price up... I'm a man...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

As a woman it annoys me to think that people would serious drive in high heels! FFS I know plenty of women who keep trainers in the car as their 'driving shoes', we're not all stupid little dolly birds!

Another token Gaelgoir (?) Ad/Interruption on Newstalk which ensures the radio goes off as soon as the first word is spoken - Shin, Shin - phonetic spelling and I haven't a clue what it's about. Surely feckin Newstalk have done enough to satisfy those who can't speak English with their Gaeilge Gaisce...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,598 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Anyone heard that ad with Bernard O'Shea?

Some competition about photo bombing that can win you a shopping trip with Roz Purcell or Georgia Salpa?

:mad: :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thalia_13

Ginos Gelato ad, seriously what sort of accent is that meant to be? Comedy Italian that goes slightly Irish then Russian then back to Italian... Oh dear .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭LithiumKid1976

any add for anything to do with the galway races.... :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,713 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

any add for anything to do with the galway races.... :mad:

Was going to say, I've a special hatred for any ad that does the whole horse racing commentator thing about some other activity. Going to the shop, say.

They're right up there with the David Attenborough ones that crop up every few months, as if never done before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,873 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Just heard the Barrack(or whatever) Obama Plaza ad.
    WOW and WTF?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭kitchenkid

I detest ads for hearing aids where the advert is itself off-kilter on sound/background noises etc.....very manipulative in my opinion.

WOW and WTF?

Just heard it this morning and it sure beats the Ronald Regan lounge in Ballyporeen. I'm making my holiday plans as I type. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭pjordan

WOW and WTF?
    Had noticed it but hadn't thought about it much until you mentioned it here but now that you have, there definately is something surreally "not right" about the concept, let alone the ad. It is one of those examples of laziness and lack of creativity inherent in a lot of goes for marketing in Ireland. That said of course it'll probably be a roaring success, for a while anyway til we move on to the next fad and Hilary becomes president. I can see it now in about 6-8 years time, the Obama plaza, facade peeling, half the outlets empty, filthy, unkempt, bored demotivated uninterested staff and poor cousin Henry, a few years older, not as handsome and developing a middle age paunch still trying to trade on his past glories and celebrity association. Sad really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Love the ad for Renault, that girl's voice is so sexy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Fiolina

I hate Irish ads with English voices. There's an ad for a play in the Abbey Theatre and your man's accent really riles me. Are they trying to make it sound more high-brow or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭mackerski

Fiolina wrote: »
    I hate Irish ads with English voices. There's an ad for a play in the Abbey Theatre and your man's accent really riles me. Are they trying to make it sound more high-brow or something?

Could be worse - American...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭cml387

pjordan wrote: »
    Had noticed it but hadn't thought about it much until you mentioned it here but now that you have, there definately is something surreally "not right" about the concept, let alone the ad. It is one of those examples of laziness and lack of creativity inherent in a lot of goes for marketing in Ireland. That said of course it'll probably be a roaring success, for a while anyway til we move on to the next fad and Hilary becomes president. I can see it now in about 6-8 years time, the Obama plaza, facade peeling, half the outlets empty, filthy, unkempt, bored demotivated uninterested staff and poor cousin Henry, a few years older, not as handsome and developing a middle age paunch still trying to trade on his past glories and celebrity association. Sad really.

Take a visit to the Ronald Reagan visitor centre in Ballyporeen for a vision of the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I think that's yer man who was George in Glenroe in a past life, though I could be mistaken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

We all know that only people with posh accents go to the theatre, daahling. The working classes just wouldn't understand the subtle sophistication of what goes on there ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

GetCover.ie

:mad::mad:

tampopo wrote: »
    Love the ad for Renault, that girl's voice is so sexy...
    Is that the one where her water's have just broken and she tells her fella to put the dog out before goin back to bed.....???
    Hmmm....soooo sexy!!!!:P

Is that the one where her water's have just broken and she tells her fella to put the dog out before goin back to bed.....???

Surely not? The woman's accent is all over the place in the Ad and it almost sounds like two different people. A thoroughly stupid, offensive Ad on so many counts.

Jaysus,

Just heard another excruciatingly bad ad for "The Leopardstown Inn" and their frickin' "revolving carousel bar" with a fake Sean Connery cheesy chat up line at the end which has some "Skyfall" pun. It was of their usual "standard' - need I say any more?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Trebor176

"Hi everybody! Finnie the Frog here. . ."

F**k off!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

No the ad you're talking about is for the vw polo, makes me angry just thinking about it. ....

jca wrote: »
    No the ad you're talking about is for the vw polo, makes me angry just thinking about it. ....
    Ok, I was trying (unsuccessfully obviously) to be ironic.
    Absolutely agree with previous poster that the female voice sounds like two completely different people.
    This is a bad bad ad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

heard one earlier which contained a brat of a child squealing "I'm booored" and "Are we there yet?"

destined to do my bloody head in :mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement