Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Nightwish wrote: »
    The ad with the deleriously-happy-she-must-be-on-speed girl gushing over how she saved €300 by monopolising her insurance policies with quinn direct.

God i HATE that ad. She sounds like a cat being strangled at the start (apparently it's meant to be her "laughing"). Funnily enough its the exact same sound she makes in my re occuring dreams where my fingers slowly tighten around her wind pipe until the last muffled "laugh" escapes her blue lips........

However i'm waiting with pent up rage, fury and bile for the mother and father of all annoying f*cking ads. That bastard xmas ad for Barry's tea where that tool goes on about the bloody train set. (Please refer to previous years rants below, xmas 2007 one to come). God help me but i'll go on that bloody murder spree yet if i hear it again this year.... AAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH

Christmas 2005's Rant......
    That fu*king Barrys tea ad that is on at xmas. Turn the moment golden!!
    Golden fu*kin shower more like it.

Jesus H Christ it makes me spit blood in a blind, all consuming, commit bloody murder, rage. I would like to take that train set and insert it side ways up that fu*kers hole followed quickly by the christmas tree and the kids head. Then i would make a cup of barrys tea (boiling scalding lava hot) and pour the lot of it down on top of his condescending, wise, smug twat head.

Thanks god it's only on at xmas, cos otherwise i would have taken out the shotgun and gone on a very messy, bloody rampage down shop street here in Galway...

Christmas 2006's Rant......
    O no, please God, Jesus NO!!!!!!! It's back. It's fu*king back, that fu*king Barry's tea advert about that cnut and his train set is back. Why God WHY?????? I now officially hate xmas and want it banned forever if means that advert will never again be played on any radio station. I swear i will commit a very bloody slaughter of my unsuspecting work colleagues with a rusty tea spoon if i hear it again. It is the must sickening, twee ****e advert that any advertising exec has ever managed to pull from their septic, puss filled dripping arse. I would like five minutes in a room with him/her, a train set and a christmas tree. At the end of 5 minutes the train set, tree and my right shoe would have disappeared and him/her would be walking funny and need to visit the bathroom urgently with a bottle of super horse strength laxatives....:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

There was an ad running last week for some show that was on on Saturday 17th Nov.

There were a few of them, one about a Trad Music festival that was on, and you'd rather be at the show the ad was for.

Another one of these had a poem in it.

"Am I the turnip, or the carrot
    Would you hit me with a mallet,
    Would I make it to the bowl,
    Or would you throw me in a hole"

I liked that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

That bastard xmas ad for Barry's tea where that tool goes on about the bloody train set.

You just know that fucking ad is going to be back next month, don't you? Some people actually like it, and look forward to it on the radio. Mad people I tell you.

That poem ad was for VW, something to do with having a special weekend to see a car in a garage, like there's only a special day you can see cars in a garage. Reminds me of the stupidity of PTSB's "Mortgage week", or AIB's current "Car Finance Fortnight". Quick, hurry, you can only get car finance till Friday, then you have to wait till next year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

There is a pr1ck doin an ad at the min. for some kind of car Daihatsu I think.

Fcuker has his teeth clenched for some reason, sounds like he is clamping on a frikken dental retainer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

The ad for Bord na Mona firelog. The guy brings home some bird and his thoughts are then read aloud, shes the same.

"Oh I hope hes not some kind of weirdo"

Then hey presto, he whips out a fire log...."oh this is actually quite nice.."

FFS ! What a LOB !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Ah the christmas ads start in earnest, and they're as bad this year as they were last year.

1. Any ad where someone is singing a christmas carol with updated lyrics (painful)
    2. Bothar's Christmas ads (great charity, crap ads). Are we there yet, are we there yet, are we there yet...
    3. The McDonalds ad with Santa caught nicking McD vouchers by a kid is pretty good, but since when were Santa's elves Mexican?

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Holmer

For me it's those ones for the Mespil Hotel, they're always on around Xmas.
    "You're goin to Doooblin fer lipstiiiick? 'Scuse Me!"
    Considering they're aimed at us people from "down de country" who'll be heading into the big shmoke for de shoppin, why do they insist on making the target audience sound like gob****es from the Quiet Man?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

Radio ads that piss me off (part 3):

Financial Regulator (I got my hair done for this...u twat)
    GetCover (literally singing the praises of Johnny\Kate for signing up to this crappy insurance company)
    Any ad with a child whose voice hasn't broken yet

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Worst ad I've ever heard.....that littering ad with the 'hoilier that thou' youngfella with the angry tone shouts down some youngone for dropping a piece of chewing gum. It's not because I condone littering (It's fairly rotton), it's because no one in Dublin under the age of 60 acts like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The one for the financial regulatory body, which features two fellas conversing about AGMs etc while playing squash The bastards deserve no dividend for that alone! :p

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Garmin sat nav ad with the full choir of american folk is really getting on my nerves just now (the TV version is even worse)....and there's some ad that's all over 98fm with some singing in it to the tune of Old McDonald, two girls and a guy...I don't even know what it's for (possibly insurance?) but it's got me to the point of throwing things at the work radio.

Oh and the one where some kid is asked what he wants for christmas: [Dort accent]"One million euro....I'm serious..."[/Dort accent]; if he was mine he'd be phoning Childline...

Oh yeah I know it's for a good cause but the advert with some muppet repeating "Are we there yet?" is very grating....the one As Gaelige is nearly as bad...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Tom Dunne's shameless promotion ad for Cathy Davy's latest album (whoever the fcuk she is), AWFUL!

The last song on the short ad "Ruben" :confused: Sounds like a couple of teenagers who picked up a guitar for the first time and she's wailing in the background.

MAKE HER STOP!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

wow... this is one of the most popular threads in the forum and I only noticed just now that 'radio' was spelled wrong in the thread title....

Fixed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

The latest "giving up smoking" ad where some guy coughs for about 10 mins. Its bad enough listening to someone cough without broadcasting it on radio 4 or 5 times an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Nightwish wrote: »
    The latest "giving up smoking" ad where some guy coughs for about 10 mins. Its bad enough listening to someone cough without broadcasting it on radio 4 or 5 times an hour.

Bad ad indeed. The bastard deserves to get lung cancer.

• Advertisement

wow... this is one of the most popular threads in the forum and I only noticed just now that 'radio' was spelled wrong in the thread title....

Fixed!
    On that topic:)

"Spelled wrongly"
    How things are done the ADVERBS tell, as slowly,quickly,idly,well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

Fixed!

How embarrassing. :o

The newstalk ad for newstalk is wrecking my head at the moment. I wish they would change it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Penny's,
    Got a whole lotta things for Christmas
    Got alot for the family
    Tra la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la
    Penny's
    Got a whole lotta things for Christmas
    Got alot for the family.....

Nearly as old as me that ad!:D

Muff_Daddy wrote: »
    Worst ad I've ever heard.....that littering ad with the 'hoilier that thou' youngfella with the angry tone shouts down some youngone for dropping a piece of chewing gum. It's not because I condone littering (It's fairly rotton), it's because no one in Dublin under the age of 60 acts like that.

That's why Dublin is in the state its in!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thalia_13

I had never heard this ad, despite the many yrs it has rankled the good members of boards, but this morning for the first time ever, I heard the Barrys ad. and by god its annoying, I can only hope that it was the first and only time I hear it. Radio ads really annoy me at the best of times, most are mentioned already. The one ad that seriously annoys me is the Kia ads. I hate hate hate yer mans smug northern accent. I would not buy a Kia even if you paid me, but if I was to somehow lose my senses and decide to buy a Kia, that ad and his voice would make me buy something else. I love the northern accent normally but what ever it is about his voice it just makes me nauseous!

Ok rant over....:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Holmer

There's a new one for Spectra photo, some offer where you can win a spa weekend. Some posh wagon with a bizarre "sexy" accent

Win a wikkend break in a spaaaw
    I'm there right now
    Did I mention I'm a spaw?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Ah I heard the Barrys Train ad this morning for the first time this year. I don't hate it as much as everyone else.

What does the dad say near the end though?

"Doesn't that beat Banaghar?"

What has a town in Offaly got to do with Train sets?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

it's just an expression, fairly common I would have thought.

Banagher, a place-name, a town in Co. Offaly in which the novelist Anthony Trollope (1815-1882) spent some time as a Post Office surveyor but chiefly famous for its inclusion in the saying 'That beats [often pronounced /be:ts/] (or bangs) Banagher,' a common reaction to something extraordinary or absurd. Banagher was once a 'pocket borough', meaning that the local lord nominated its representatives in Parliament. The town became famous for this (once-common) undemocratic way of conducting politics, so if something was really anomalous it was said to 'beat Banagher.' Trollope, 'The Kellys and the O'Kellys, 221: "Conspiracy" av [if] that don't bang Banagher!""; Joyce, 'Finnegans Wake,' 87.31: "bank from Banagher"; Plunkett, 'Farewell Companions,' 293: "'That beat's Banagher,' he said."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Sorry but the absolute worst one in recent times has to be that Singstar ad with the two debating over whether you sing the "instrumennntal" intro to 'The Final Countdown"!

"I mean HELLOOOOOOOOOOOO.. there isn't even any words!"
    "Yes, there bloody well is. Diddle's a word, so it doo"

Really makes me angry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

"That beats Banagher" is a west of Ireland saying from the days when Banagher had the best team in the country/province: "That beats Banagher, and Banagher beats all" - hence it's the best in the country/world.

The ad I really hate at the moment is the one about domestic violence. It's a great ad for most of it - the two kids playing their chilling game of mommies and daddies - "What? Not in front if the kids?" - but then that martyred voice wailing "Domestic vilence, end the silence" - I want to, umm, hit her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

virtually any ad where morons are either given crappy Christmas presents or telling Christopher Kringle what they want under the tree on the 25th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

basquille wrote: »
    Sorry but the absolute worst one in recent times has to be that Singstar ad with the two debating over whether you sing the "instrumennntal" intro to 'The Final Countdown"!

"I mean HELLOOOOOOOOOOOO.. there isn't even any words!"
    "Yes, there bloody well is. Diddle's a word, so it doo"

Really makes me angry!

:DCompletely agree, I don't think advertising companies realise just how bad a lot of their ads are, if they did they wouldn't see the light of day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

Really like the ad for some scratch card....

Theres a really ditzy young girl trying to lick up to boring accountant Mary.
    Really well done ad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

I haven't had time to read all 27 pages of this thread but here's some of my most hated ads on radio:

Barry's Tea, I hate all 90 seconds of it (probably not as much as Fozzy Bear though).

Those awful litter ads, especially the one where the girl goes ' so are you going to as me out?' and the fella replies 'after what you just did?...I thought you were more hygienic than that...you need help...pick up your chewing gum/rubbish and throw it in the bin'. So true to life.

Those Daybreak ads where they advertise some prize or other if you shop there, with the guy who's convinced he's going to win. then it ends with the annoying drawn out 'Daybreak, the difference in your day' jingle.

That Garmin sat-nav ad, the song just gets stuck in my head and doesn't go away. Plus they're on the radio every 15 minutes.

The Today FM Christmas ads, they're all terrible but the one with Paul Collins has to be the worst.

That's all I can think of now but after listening to the radio for an hour on my way home I'm sure I'll have loads more tomorrow.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

The ad I think is a bit pointless at the moment is the Budweiser people humming. It's basically the audio version of the tv ad with the horses pulling the beer wagon, only it makes much more sense visually than just aurally.

It's just plain weird.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

The ad explaining the difference between best befor and use by on foodstuffs pisses me right off.

First off because its for people who are not very bright, they've won, they've got control of our airwaves.

Secondly the way yer mans says "what", dont know why, but that bugs me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I really like the new Denny christmas ad. I love the way the music complements the narrator's voice.

It reminds me exactly what happens in christmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭blackbox

God I hate the Budweiser add where the play the jingly Christmas music.

Where did they get such irritating crap music?

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭d15ude

Pamala Scott Ski Stores - the most repellent voice.

It's probably been mentioned already, but them Homestore and More ones drive me mental. Either he talks at 90mph and you can't work out what he's saying, or repeats the store name so many times you want to throw your radio out the window. Ugh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I hate those Londis ads just before the top of the hour on Newstalk.

Oooooh some bint has to go analyze someones break up so has to go to Londis as she has no time to make dinner. Another features a **** training for a marathon. Sweet mother of God get rid of them or make new ones.

ah this thread again...
    Hate to sound like a Homestore and more ad here, but once again €ircon's broadband ads have me sticking forks in my speakers....that gurl with the celtic tiger twang who wants to store her all her precious fau-toes and this steroetypical bullsh*t about "the lads" wanting to catch up with all the football from setanta, because of course every male in the country is nothing but a soccer obsessed pillock with no interest in anything else on the whole WWW, and as a modern woman, no matter how much she detests soccer, she'll pretend to like it because they're "the lads"...
    The tone, the generalisation, the very essence of the ad screams that €ircon want to be down with the big spending 20-somethings, when their packages are nothing short of daylight robbery and are bettered by nearly every other BB supplier in the market.
    Also the ad is misleading when it doesn't in fact tell you the full price of what our little princess is actually paying....it's certainly more than €15 a month.
    At least they got rid of that poxy music...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

That bloody Leitrim ad boils my p155. It's one of Ireland's greenest cain-ties? WTF does that mean? All of Ireland is green! Do they mean environmentally sound, sorry "saind"? And again, WTF does that mean anyway?

And it's only two hours away! From where? Mullingar? Galway? It certainly isn't two hours away from Waterford, where I live, unless you've a helicopter.

Of course they mean Dublin - well where else do we have advertising agencies? - but firstly they're advertising on a national station, and secondly, Leitrim is only two hours from Dublin if you leave at 2 in the morning! Muppets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Hmm. According to the AA Roadwatch route planner, driving from Dublin to Leitrim takes 2 hours 12 minutes.

I couldn't find a bus or train to take me there on Bus Eireann or Iairnrod Eireann, though. Maybe not so green.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Clearwire Broadband... smartarse American guy... smug delivery... "order it today, we'll deliver tomorrow... GUARANTEED!... OH AND HAVE A NICE DAY!

My arse.

The new Kleenex ads are atrocious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 goose102

I'm the greatest, none of you fat blokes surrounded by fast food wrappers and pizza boxes should be let on this servise, you talk and deride people while your own lives aren't really up to much.

Nce one fatso's

............. kay! :confused:

goose102 wrote: »
    I'm the greatest, none of you fat blokes surrounded by fast food wrappers and pizza boxes should be let on this servise, you talk and deride people while your own lives aren't really up to much.

Nce one fatso's

Keep the nonsensical abuse to a minimum, please.

And anyway.. I'm not fat... I'm big boned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 goose102

Be careful funny name fred or i'll bang you upside your head. Don't get me started piss boy

• Advertisement

Okay... and I think we'll say goodbye to Goose.

It's like Top Gun all over again.

Ban and delete plz? The idea that all forum users are rotund junk food junkies with poor hygiene is so 1990's that it should have it's own geocities site.
    What a poor troll....judging by their demeanour, spelling skillz and lack of imagination in "contributing" to this thread, I can only assume that they are a peon of the Irish radio advertising industry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

fricatus wrote: »
    That bloody Leitrim ad boils my p155. It's one of Ireland's greenest cain-ties? WTF does that mean? All of Ireland is green! Do they mean environmentally sound, sorry "saind"? And again, WTF does that mean anyway?

And it's only two hours away! From where? Mullingar? Galway? It certainly isn't two hours away from Waterford, where I live, unless you've a helicopter.

Of course they mean Dublin - well where else do we have advertising agencies? - but firstly they're advertising on a national station, and secondly, Leitrim is only two hours from Dublin if you leave at 2 in the morning! Muppets.

Ya you could probably get to Leitrim from Galway in just over 2 hours (in light traffic) but considering I spend nearly 4 hours on a bus to Galway from Cork every couple of weeks I'm going to guess that they don't mean Cork!

Stupid ad, why can't they just say that it's only 2 hours from Dublin, or else stick to the regional radio stations.

Somehow I don't think that 'only 5 hours from Cork (if you're lucky!)' has the same ring to it!

Okay... and I think we'll say goodbye to Goose.

It's like Top Gun all over again.

:eek: Aw shucks ... he could have been a contenduh over on the 'Dome:(

:eek: Aw shucks ... he could have been a contenduh over on the 'Dome:(

Don't make me go upside your head! ;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement