Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

The Condom Power ad, that haunted my childhood!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

That new Winning Streak ad about your man Tom spinning the revolving door for 2 hours

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR................. :mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Ah so that's what the ad is about...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

The ad for printing ink where the guy screams his head off.
    And the other printer ink ad where they guy comes up with a great idea to save money. It sounds like they took it off my name is earl. Crap.

OMFG, anyone hear the new Kleenex ad? Two aussies (???) or perhaps brits talking about windows being opened or some such nonsense...analogies for blowing your nose, because we couldn't possibly discuss what paper handkerchiefs are actually used for, less someone decide that it's disgusting in some way...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Diamond Living, fcuk me its annoying.

And the jingle in the background, what country did they outsource that to :eek: Cant understand a word of what the 'singer' is trying to say. In short - AWFUL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    I hate those Londis ads just before the top of the hour on Newstalk.

Oooooh some bint has to go analyze someones break up so has to go to Londis as she has no time to make dinner. Another features a **** training for a marathon. Sweet mother of God get rid of them or make new ones.

Christ those are bad ads. I can't believe no one else has mentioned them.
    The guy is the most unbelievably annoying character i've ever heard in an ad.

"Oh and the sun is even making an appearance, hello old friend, shaping up to be a nice day actually blah blah blah..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I am sick to the ****ing teeth of that smug sounding Clearwire broadband arsehole. Are people signing up to it after hearing that advert?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

The WEE directive ads are really starting to get on my t*ts, I'd say if I was an electronics retailer my t*ts would have exploded in rage by now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Ikon (spelled with a 'K') is pretty damn annoying!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

MoominPapa wrote: »
    ...my t*ts would have exploded in rage...

Sorry to go off topic, but THAT's funny. Reminds me of Kryten in Red Dwarf ("Spin my nipple nuts and send me to Alaska") ... or the Cat for that matter ("I'm so excited, all six of my nipples are tingling!").

What is it about tits/nipples that are funny when dropped into conversation like that...?

--

Back on topic, Mick Lally has a radio ad for "Seniors Money" that makes me want to put my boot through his skull. His voice should be confined to ... oh, I dunno - a radio station run by Farmers Journal. If I hear it one more time, my tits possibly WILL explode with rage.

I'm convinced he's recorded that after a quick few pints that lunchtime...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Bard wrote: »
    Back on topic, Mick Lally has a radio ad for "Seniors Money" that makes me want to put my boot through his skull. His voice should be confined to ... oh, I dunno - a radio station run by Farmers Journal. If I hear it one more time, my tits possibly WILL explode with rage.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54334873&postcount=483

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭squonk

Those Power of One commercials. Patronising and smug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

*ALERT ALERT* THE HYUNDAI I30

Sweet jesus, I dont need that sh!te in my ear at 6:50 am :mad:

"As a radio DJ, I have to be sounding my best..."

"Hello, you're listening to the MORNING breakfast show, with Panadol ActiFastyMakeFeelNiceDrugs..."

Yeah... as opposed to the EVENING breakfast show. Smart stuff, love.

(I even texted Today FM to give out about the stupidity of the ad and Ray Foley and JP read it out and went off on a little rant about it themselves ;) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

It's a good thing I need new glasses and can't read the small print.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

"Hello, you're listening to the MORNING breakfast show, with Panadol ActiFastyMakeFeelNiceDrugs..."

(I even texted Today FM to give out about the stupidity of the ad and Ray Foley and JP read it out and went off on a little rant about it themselves ;) )

I wonder what town she has to sound her best for? Thankfully it's nowhere near me , or is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Heh.... heard that alright!

And then they proceded to talk about "college radio in college"! :D

T'was quite a funny bit alright,... was glad my text started it.

Wish more people would text MY show... *sniff*...

OH NO, YOU SAID IT ALREADY!!!

... so?

I just didn't want to say it again :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Ha! I was just thinking the exact same thing on way home from work when I heard the ad during Matt Cooper. Are ad scripts proof read? It's a bit of a clanger.

cashback wrote: »
    Are ad scripts proof read? It's a bit of a clanger.

Depends on who's producing the ad - in the station I work with, if we're producing the ad in-house (as is the case for 90+% of the ads we broadcast), we'd do a read-through first and would definitely bring up anything like that with the advertiser before recording,... but if ads are sent in to us pre-recorded, they'd generally go out as-is.

That one with the "MORNING" breakfast show was certainly, as you put it, a big 'clanger' ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Rozbeef

the majority of ads on the radio put me off buying the companies products. serves them right for having a bunch of muppets in charge of advertising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Anyone heard the English muppets advertising Kleenex? Pair of ****wits talking as if they had "bunged up" heads and what its like.... (Having your head in a helmet according to them if your wondering) I bite the inside of my cheek to prevent my metamorphosis into the incredible hulk and go on a mean green rampage whenever i hear it. Grrrraarrrrgghhhh

Tag line is blow it loud and proud. Ya right, i've got something here you can blow love. Loud and proud!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I change the channel when I hear it. Kleenex couldn't be bothered to make an ad for Ireland so they sent the **** one from the UK over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

'I'm Maura from the MABS hot line.'

Shut up Maura.....and it's 'budget' not 'bodget'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

Can't bear the ad from the HSE for the winter information line. Smug cow telling you that you can ring your doctor or see your chemist rather than go to A&E. Complete s****. Why don't they just come out with it and say feck off with your heart attack and multiple stab wounds to the pharmacist - we're not interested.

....and this week's award goes to the two stupid bitches on the new ford fiesta ad; you know the one.

"When it starts to rain? And the rain sensing wipers come on? I say THANK YOU!!!"

Wellll! When my mobile rings? and the bluetooth asks me would i like to answer? I say Yes PLEEEEASE!!!!"

:mad:

Well when I'm driving along? and this ad comes on the radio? and I change the channel? I say thank f*ck...

I hope you both crash and your airbags don't deploy you dozy cnuts?
    Additionally, this sentence isn't a question either?

• Advertisement

Wertz wrote: »
    ....and this week's award goes to the two stupid bitches on the new ford fiesta ad; you know the one.

"When it starts to rain? And the rain sensing wipers come on? I say THANK YOU!!!"

Wellll! When my mobile rings? and the bluetooth asks me would i like to answer? I say Yes PLEEEEASE!!!!"

:mad:

Well when I'm driving along? and this ad comes on the radio? and I change the channel? I say thank f*ck...

I hope you both crash and your airbags don't deploy you dozy cnuts?
    Additionally, this sentence isn't a question either?

I was going to mention this ad too! Stupid women. And why the hell do we need wipers that sense rain?

Now we couldn't possibly risk you wimminz breaking a fingernail on the wiper stalk and causing an accident ;)

Wertz wrote: »
    Now we couldn't possibly risk you wimminz breaking a fingernail on the wiper stalk and causing an accident ;)

It could be fairly dangerous though, wipers turning on automatically when it rains.

Say there was a bit of moisture in the air and the wipers came on. What would the 2 girls in the ad do? They wouldn't turn it off anyway because that's the car's job. Would they say 'please turn off, Mr. Wipers'?

Similarly, what if it rained and they didn't work? :eek:

Rubbish ad, makes me want to kick the people who made it who think we're too stupid/lazy to move a finger a few inches to turn the wipers on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

The new Ford Transit ad with some lad going on about how his boss thought him a new Transit van, and his wife only realises at the end of the ad that her husband is self-employed. Feck off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dunnno what its for but it ends with some gobsite yelling

flying out the doorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

edit - it's for carpets which explains

Mike.

I cannot STAND that ad where the ultra-competitive mother - sorry, "mom" - gets Little Johnny (actually, I think that's the name they use... how creative) to play Mozart's Rondo alla Turca on the piano for his granny, and they twitter about how he'll be even better after his "secondge lesson". GRRRR, it makes my skin crawl!

fricatus wrote: »
    Little Johnny

Sorry, it was Billy, I think...

Let me add that stupid Rubex ad that Gay Byrne does. Apart altogether from the fact that it's really annoying, how can advertisers in this day and age be allowed to claim that plonking a fizzy tablet in water is somehow better than eating a natural, fibre-rich food such as oranges?

I hate Newstalk's ad they use to try to get advertisers.

'Hi, I'm a radio ad'

I've only heard it once but just listening to them go on about how having an ad on Newstalk makes a consumer more likely to buy or use a product or service makes me want to buy anything that's not advertised on Newstalk! (Ok, that's maybe a bit overboard but it is annoying!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Lizzykins wrote: »
    Can't bear the ad from the HSE for the winter information line. Smug cow telling you that you can ring your doctor or see your chemist rather than go to A&E.
    Only bettered by the same smug cow telling us to ask the doctor if he's washed his hands. Yes, that's the solution to all the HSE's problems, make it our problem. It's up to the HSE to ensure that health professionals clean their hands, not the patients. Fcuking idiots. Everything they do annoys me now.
    janeybabe wrote: »
    I was going to mention this ad too! Stupid women. And why the hell do we need wipers that sense rain?
    Some people are just too stupid to turn on/off the wipers. How many times have you been driving along and some idiot still has the wiper (back or front) going long after the rain stops?
    janeybabe wrote: »
    It could be fairly dangerous though, wipers turning on automatically when it rains.

What about when you're getting the car washed. Do the wipers come on and snap off under the big rotary washy thing (highly technical description I know)?

My pet peeve right now, are ads with coughing in them. First one was the Pfizer/Cancer society one with the guy coughing along to some classical piece. The second one is Lemsip cough medicine. The ad goes something like "There are times, when the last thing anyone needs is a chesty cough", like there's actually a time when that's exactly what you do need. Accompanying the irritating coughing is some dizzy b1tch moaning. That's two for two now for Lemsip, last year it was the sound of someone slurping from a mug, this year it's coughing.
    fricatus wrote:
    I cannot STAND that ad where the ultra-competitive mother - sorry, "mom"
    Grandmother I think.

Just remembered, did anyone catch the ad for the new series of Lost that was running yesterday? Why the feck does she pronounce it Loast (sounds like toast)? Is there a special course on how to pronounce words wrong, that you have to do before you can do voice overs? And don't even get me started on In-shur dot ie :mad:

• Advertisement

The Hallifax 'oh flip' ad :mad:

expected to be the leading cause of rage-related radio damage this February

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

jor el wrote: »
    Just remembered, did anyone catch the ad for the new series of Lost that was running yesterday? Why the feck does she pronounce it Loast (sounds like toast)? Is there a special course on how to pronounce words wrong, that you have to do before you can do voice overs? And don't even get me started on In-shur dot ie :mad:

No, but apparently there is a course on how to pronounce words wrongly,which you have to do before you can do voiceovers.

So I'm reliably informed.

No, but apparently there is a course on how to pronounce words wrongly,which you have to do before you can do voiceovers.

:eek: Repeat after me: Goardai, Loast, PortaloisEEEH, Inshur, Towking (talking), Goran (it's Gowran you tools) etc...

jor el wrote: »
    Goran (it's Gowran you tools) etc...

No, I work in KK, and I found out quickly that Gowran rhymes with Horan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

I think the new Trevor Brennan ads are so bad they're good. Could he sound any more robotic and could he sponsor anything further removed from rugby than road sweeping machines?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Today I heard the worst ad ever to try and prevent the "yoof" from drinking.

It started with one girl detailing to her friend what they would do that night, which included vomiting and passing out.

However the pure gem of the thing was the voice over at the end saying "Drinking too much is not cool. If you're going out don't be not cool." I actually laughed out loud in work at it.

GDM wrote: »
    I think the new Trevor Brennan ads are so bad they're good. Could he sound any more robotic and could he sponsor anything further removed from rugby than road sweeping machines?

OMG that's even better than Ronan O'Gara going on about platinum :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Couple of ads I can't stand

1. The stupid specsavers ad: Here we have Edith Piaf singing nd some knob translating her with reference to her not going to specsavers.

2. Inshur dot ie: Holy shít I am going to kill the person who came up with the most moronic ad ever.

3. Dolmio Ads: They've been asking "whensa your Dolmio day" for the last decade. Please stop!!!

rant over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Inshur.ie...

.. that's all!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Advertisement

swingking wrote: »
    3. Dolmio Ads: They've been asking "whensa your Dolmio day" for the last decade. Please stop!!!

When'sa your stereotype day? I hope Giovanni doesn't start listening to the radio when he comes to Ireland.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement