Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 catat2ee

1. the guy doing the eye test where he says "with lute.. luteen, yes with luteen" - can't turn the radio off quick enough.
    2. The casserole ad where the husband chooses to watch the football rather than get busy with his wife, describes him tasting something that contains uncooked chicken. Nice.(alternatively, there may be a revenge subtext designed to appeal to the dissatisfied wife.. in which case it's genius)
    3. The 'real people' telling us how great their experience with FBD Insurance was.. oh dear oh dear oh dear, graaaaating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

123.IE JUST LOG ON AND SAVE MONEEEEE....

I found myself whistling this jingle at work the other day, and was rightly slagged off :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

Heard a new one today, an ad for the AA with a know all child sitting in the back of the car saying "Join the AA" to every question his Dad asks his Mother. Please, leave his seatbelt off and travel fast, very fast!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭hoppo254

Right price tiles....

Im liquidating Marble Tiles , Im liquidating Ceramic Tiles, Someone feed that Monkey with crazy Dave or whatever his name is........

Does my head in !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭hoppo254

Daft Dave thats it.......Just **** off !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Heard a new one today, an ad for the AA with a know all child sitting in the back of the car saying "Join the AA" to every question his Dad asks his Mother. Please, leave his seatbelt off and travel fast, very fast!

Heh, was just coming into the thread to post about that wee brat. He'd be abandoned at the roadside if he was mine.

Sorry but Daft Dave still holds legendary status :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I actually thought the parents were more annoying in that ad.

'I'm not happy about you driving on those roads Deirdre'

What in the name of God is she supposed to drive on?

I also thought the child was a girl but maybe I'm wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I keep meaning to come back to this thread as i'm finding pickings on the radio particularly irritating these days:

1) Mr T ads. Funny the first time.. but quickly become annoying!
    2) 'Join the AA' - that child knows that much about insuring your car. Her life in the playground must be a hoot.
    3) The Sky ad with a wholly unconvincing woman telling us "seemingly she has no trouble with Sky and it's like being at the cinema". Oh yeah, IMAX can kiss Sky's ass! :rolleyes: And another ad with a bloke telling us how great Sky Multiroom is that his wife can record all the soaps and watch them when she has 10 minutes to herself. Clearly the show is on fast forward to fit into 10 minutes.
    4) Duffaaaay debuuy allbum.. quiet down woman!

Although on a good point.. i do still enjoy the Halifax ads. What the flip? Flip off. Shhuugar. tongue-in-cheek enjoyable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'm trying to go to incher.ie and there is no site there (isn't that what she is singing on that insurance ad?) :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

That's a boy in the AA ads BTW....sounds like how that wee c*nt in the Avonmore Soups ad either side of RTÉ weather, looks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

CyberDave wrote: »
    The new snickers ads with Mister T are great. The best ads I have heard on Radio in a long time.

Me too. I don't remember laughing out loud before to an add! Pure legend! Mr. T is a legend anyway.

I heard the one for the Northside Shopping Centre on 98FM earlier. That's been on the air for as long as I remember. Not that it bothers me or anything, just sounds really dated now. I remember hearing the full clean version back in the early 90s, was probably 98FM as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

basquille wrote: »
    3) The Sky ad with a wholly unconvincing woman telling us "seemingly she has no trouble with Sky and it's like being at the cinema".

False advertising on that ad as most channels are a pixellated mess.

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    False advertising on that ad as most channels are a pixellated mess.
    Agreed. I believe a perfect analogue picture is better than any digital one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

Mr E wrote: »
    I'm trying to go to incher.ie and there is no site there (isn't that what she is singing on that insurance ad?) :rolleyes:

I think it's spelled insure.ie

As for annoying ads, Halifax "oh flip" and permanent tsb mafia boss are really grinding my gears at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Blk150

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    That flippin credit card ad. It is so annoying.

+1.i hate that add

I think it's spelled insure.ie
    Really? You think? :rolleyes::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Whooooooosh;)

Tell me I'm not the only one that's heard the Eagle Star Lady Star ad with the bint talking to her satnav...this is up for nomination for the years worst, most annoying radio ad....and where did thatg woman get that accent? WTH?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

Wertz wrote: »
    Tell me I'm not the only one that's heard the Eagle Star Lady Star ad with the bint talking to her satnav...this is up for nomination for the years worst, most annoying radio ad....and where did thatg woman get that accent? WTH?

+1. Feckin hell that does my head in

• Advertisement

What's Eamonn Coughlan referring when he says "run, walk or jawk"? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Karsini wrote: »
    I heard the one for the Northside Shopping Centre on 98FM earlier. That's been on the air for as long as I remember. Not that it bothers me or anything, just sounds really dated now. I remember hearing the full clean version back in the early 90s, was probably 98FM as well.
    I was only thinking the same thing the other day ! Its at least 15 years old, some things are timeless eh :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Karsini wrote: »

"Northside! (boing!) Northside (boing!) The great, great shopping centre!"

I think its a relic of the 80's super pirate radio days.

DMC wrote: »
    "Northside! (boing!) Northside (boing!) The great, great shopping centre!"

I think its a relic of the 80's super pirate radio days.

I never get sick of hearing it :rolleyes: I am (almost) 45 years old and I remember hearing it as a boy in the seventies, used to be on RTE Radio 1 along with Chenno-unction, a quare name but great stuff and Dythayne and other curiously named agricultural products. Dark, dark days I tells yis! I just remembered that a friend of mine's Dad did that jingle, I'll ask him when it was made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

omg VERYinterested you're bringing it all back... those agricultural ads!

New Cowboy X Triple Ace with Crunchathene! Gets rid of diptheria! Fleas! Hoose! Splange! BSE! Run it down your cows back from neck to tail and BLAMMO! ... etc.

Ohhhh yeahhhhh!
    basquille wrote:
    hat's Eamonn Coughlan referring when he says "run, walk or jawk"?

Surely it's "jog" he means and he's referring to some sort of health buzz fad thing...?

Bard wrote: »
    Surely it's "jog" he means and he's referring to some sort of health buzz fad thing...?
    He may mean it.. but it sure doesn't sound ANYTHING like "jog"?

Got a time frame on the Northside Shoping Centre 'Jingle', it was made at least 30 years ago, mid seventies. Bloody hell, it's time to stop it now.

I can highly recommend they go to a company that made a great jingle, for.... incher.ie. Obviously this ad was produced by someone who travels to work everyday on the Dort and has forgotten how normal people speak. Imagine if incher.ie is still on air in 30 odd years time? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Tom Crean - Arctic Explorer. That "funny" bit must fall horribly flat after you've heard it 500 times before even getting past the box-office.

Mike.

Blah blah blah blah and a SEVEN YEAR WARRANTY!!

(No idea of the product, but I know it has a 7 year warranty)

Deirdre O Kane advertising Costcutter.

Stop screaming woman!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Mr E wrote: »
    Blah blah blah blah and a SEVEN YEAR WARRANTY!!

(No idea of the product, but I know it has a 7 year warranty)

Kia, all their ads are terrible. No car should ever be described as "a gorgeous little thing" and if it can, then it should be stolen and burned out, preferably with your one in it.
    janeybabe wrote: »
    Deirdre O Kane advertising Costcutter.

Stop screaming woman!

Her voice would go through the lining of a nuclear reactor.

I wonder how Supermacs managed to get Hedonism-bot to do the voice over on their new ad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Most fecking ads on the radio involve some couple either discussing something and it usually makes the guy look like a right gobshíte.

swingking wrote: »
    Most fecking ads on the radio involve some couple either discussing something and it usually makes the guy look like a right gobshíte.

The one that springs to my mind in this category is for some home heating oil suppliers... the stupid man forgot to order oil so now the house is freezing and she's going to stand outside "where it's warmer", while "he rings them NOW!"...
    I'll tell you what love, you go way on outside and I'll lock the door....how about them apples?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

A new ad for year long travel insurance graced me ear drums tonight. It features some dick with a really annoying put on English accent talking in the background commenting on how good the insurance is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

The ad with Craig Doyle. Is it set in stone for these agencies to put an annoying voice in like daft dave now, because the other voice in this ad causes pain for my ears. I mean do these people think by raping my eardrums it will make me wonder what its for, I turned station just as quick. In fact if i ever discover who its for i'll make it my business NOT to ever buy anything from them.

"Do something Tony Fenton-ish"

It's easy to do something Tony Fenton-ish...
    • Speak in a monotone mid-Atlantic 1980's dee-jay voice.
    • Say "uhhh.. ahhhhh..." at least 10 times an hour.
    • Play a U2 song and call it "an absolute classic track".
    • Play a Thin Lizzy track, then waffle briefly about "Phillo and the boys" and mention the statue on Grafton Street.
    • Play anything from REM, Cathy Davey, Van Morisson, Arcade Fire, or possibly Bell X1 (among a few others).
    • Kiss the arses of Bono, Glen Hansard, the afore-mentioned Mr. Morisson, and any flavour-of-the-week Irish mini success story.
    I could go on...

I liked the "Do something Tony Fenton-ish" ad when I heard it first, yet I was glad it was just a Today FM show promo and wouldn't be trafficked/broadcast for very long.

Bard,

You forgot:
    • Play a Coldplay song (typically 'Clocks' or 'The Hardest Part') at the start of every show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Bard,

You forgot:
    • Play a Coldplay song (typically 'Clocks' or 'The Hardest Part') at the start of every show.

Nah basquille, give him a bit of credit... it could be Coldplay OR Doves OR Snow Patrol :)

Poor chap gets an awful hard time ... but he asks for it ! !

• Advertisement

Can't stand the ad for Avonmore Supermilk (I think!) where the smug woman is setting off for school with her kids and the rush hour traffic wont bother them because they are going to run.

Woman, stop ruining my ears with your freaking loudspeaker!

Nah basquille, give him a bit of credit... it could be Coldplay OR Doves OR Snow Patrol :)

... or New Radicals :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Inkjet.ie...."you city boys......:rolleyes:". I have dreams of dropping the heaviest inkjet printer I can find on that prats head.

"Stick that in your gooseberry"....? :confused: What does that mean?

A dreadful assault on my ears..

For fecks sake, Quinn Direct using Mary Black's 'No Frontiers'...

... that song is probably the most nauseating song ever recorded! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

For fecks sake, Quinn Direct using Mary Black's 'No Frontiers'...

... that song is probably the most nauseating song ever recorded! :mad:

I'll tell you whats worse. That Fosters ad raping the Violent Femmes song... "When I'm a walking, I strut my stuff, then I'm So hung out, I'll fly a kite" FFS!

why wouldn't a beer company want lyrics about being strung out and high in their ads?? eh??

surprised the band agreed to it tbh.

sorry, I know it's not radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Bling, zipp, boiiiiiing, rrrrrrrrrch, dibbly dibbly dibbly dibbly, nyoooooong. Confused yet? You will be if you try to get insurance from One Direct. Have they actually lost the plot or is this supposed to mean something?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

mike65 wrote: »
    Tom Crean - Arctic Explorer. That "funny" bit must fall horribly flat after you've heard it 500 times before even getting past the box-office.

Mike.

Indeed... and no Kerryman worth his salt ever saw South Georgia on the side of his sssssssssssssshumb. Jjaysus!! he runs at it from about 20 yards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

I HATE the ad for Quinn Insurance. The one where that silly oxygen wasting b1tch fakes a big guffah laugh while looking at her bank statement. In the name of God and sonny Jesus who in the sweet f*ck comes up with this crap?

The fake laugh is bad enough but then she carries on in an oh-so-happy voice while informing the half wit standing beside her (who should be force feeding her the bloody bank statement instead of standing there drooling or whatever he usually does) about how she has saved a "fortune" with Quinn Direct because now she has her car, house and health in their capable hands. Oh the joys of Quinn!

I hope she crashes the car into the house, causing it to burn down and all because she got a dose of the red hot, ring stinging sh1ts. Then i'd like to see what Quinn will do for her. No doubt they will squirm out of it by claiming she was at fault because she should have wore adult nappies or something. Pack of bast*ards! Burn in hell with your stoopid ad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Like the Irish Pride radio ad at the moment. Pride .... you wont find it in this fella! Gets a chuckle every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I HATE the ad for Quinn Insurance
    +1

Who laughs at their bank balance????

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ifconfig

Dunne's stores latest offer advert ends with the punchline
    Dunne stores - *batter* value
    ....ugh...

Another prime example of AA female presenter vowel mangalese.
    So much of this around now even on mainstream radio business
    reports, Proime time, occasional rookie/newbie younger
    newsreaders.

I'm off now to "chack out a rad drass on awffer in leffy valley
    a mere bourgin with alevan parcent off the retail proice"

-ifc

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement