Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭john concannon

Sorry if it wasnt mentioned before but Esure.ie can make my blood boil.Still beats Steve Davis ads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

123.ie have an ad going on about how fantastic their jingle is. I really, really hope they are joking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Like the Irish Pride radio ad at the moment. Pride .... you wont find it in this fella! Gets a chuckle every time.
    That ad is funny because of the names of the two people in it.

I still get stick from my gf when she hears it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

janeybabe wrote: »
    123.ie have an ad going on about how fantastic their jingle is. I really, really hope they are joking.
    You didn't like it? I thought it was a bit tongue-in-cheek, to be honest... (as in, we know, the jingles shíte... that's the joke... hah..)

Bard wrote: »
    You didn't like it? I thought it was a bit tongue-in-cheek, to be honest... (as in, we know, the jingles shíte... that's the joke... hah..)

As long as they are joking I have no problem with it. The jingle still makes me stabby though. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Sorry if these have been mentioned before, I know one of them has:

a) 123.ie - nuff said.
    b) Anything by a financial services company that has to have one of them Simpsons-esque, "Your dreams may vary from those of Globex Corporation, its subsidiaries and shareholders." disclaimers at the end - Are they really even that necessary? Anyone who avails of these offers without knowing what they're signing up to deserves to get screwed in the ass IMO.

Slightly off-topic, but the same also applies to paragraphs on the instructions leaflet for a hair-dryer or iron stating that the said product should not be used in the bath. People that are dumb enough to use an electrical appliance in the bath deserves to die. I could do with a good laugh whilst reading the inquiry report in the paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

el_weirdo wrote: »
    b) Anything by a financial services company that has to have one of them Simpsons-esque, "Your dreams may vary from those of Globex Corporation, its subsidiaries and shareholders." disclaimers at the end - Are they really even that necessary?

Sometimes those bits at the end are longer than the actual AD itself... They're annoying alright but they're the law apparently. Financial services companies have to mention in their advertising that they're regulated and what authority regulate them.

"Terms and conditions apply" is a failsafe thing - i.e.: just in case they forgot to mention some important requirement that people could exploit (.."but it didn't say that in your ad, now where's my free stuff?!".. etc.) they can bring up the 'terms and conditions'.
    People that are dumb enough to use an electrical appliance in the bath deserves to die.

Ah that's a bit strong now. People don't deserve to die just because they're blatantly stupid...

Bard wrote: »
    Ah that's a bit strong now. People don't deserve to die just because they're blatantly stupid...

I'm gonna have to disagree with you on that one, mate! Fcuk 'em, I say. Have no time for the terminally stupid (which unfortunately seems to mean most of the population), but I think thats a discussion for another thread!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Those product disclaimers on electrical items are more about said company not getting sued by the stupid or their families, than they are about any concern for the more intellecually challenged consumer...

Wertz wrote: »
    Those product disclaimers on electrical items are more about said company not getting sued by the stupid or their families, than they are about any concern for the more intellecually challenged consumer...

Oh, I completely understand that but what irks me is that we live in a world where somebody so stupid (or indeed, their families) can actually have the balls to sue a company/business for negligence and actually win. If nothing else, these sort of claims cause everyone elses' insurance premiums to rise.

• Advertisement

In my company we didn't provide a WEEE disclaimer on our website and got a snotty letter about it. So in cases such as Harvey Norman mentioning the PRF, they have to.

Karsini wrote: »
    In my company we didn't provide a WEEE disclaimer on our website and got a snotty letter about it. So in cases such as Harvey Norman mentioning the PRF, they have to.

I was more so talking about stuff in manuals, on boxes or containers, like 'wrning; contents hot' on takeaway coffee, "do not use this hair drying device whilst swimming"...that type of thing.
    The stuff on radio, TV or web ads like T&C's, financial regulator blah or PRF are in the advertising standards or similar...

Anyway this is all way OT...can't think of any ad that's doing me nut at the minute, not been listening to much Irish radio lately....that one for redhorizon.ie and the campaign associated with it is somehwat annoying when you find out what it's actually for...this and all the other ads for property related stuff of late have the faint whiff of desperation for business about them.
    At least there's no Wycherly...maybe he's chilling out in his martian mansion? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

The new Bewleys Hotel ad which has a couple who can't decide which hotel to stay in, and when they apparently decide (they don't tell us which), the husband thinks of bringing the kids, yet the wife decides its just a bit of you-and-me time or some such sthick.

Um..... I'm not a fuddy duddy, I can't put my finger on it exactly, but I feel its a selfish ad, well, selfish might be the wrong or too strong word, but it sent a shiver down my spine when I heard it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

A shudder shirley?

Anyway, Black and Yellow Black and Yellow Black and Yellow Black and Yellow Black and Yellow Black and Yellow Black and Yellow Black and Yellow Black and Yellow

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

This guy shouts 'Closes at Noin' .............. obviously refers to some crapp shop closing at nine O'Clock?

I dunno what its for but it does my head in, common as muck, stupid, cheap & crapp.

Oh, & I nearly forgot ~ Brennans Bread = definition of another S**** advert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Deirdre O'Kane's new one for Cost Cutters is worse than the previous (easter egg) one.

"I'll cry if you get me a present, and there'll be teeeeeeeeeears if you don't."

F**k off.

Mr E wrote: »
    Deirdre O'Kane's new one for Cost Cutters is worse than the previous (easter egg) one.

"I'll cry if you get me a present, and there'll be teeeeeeeeeears if you don't."

F**k off.

That ad confuses me.

Why do they think that using the most annoying voice in Ireland will attract customers?

And why is she using a voice that is ten times more annoying than usual?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Snark

i can see the humour in this one alright, what with Miriam O'Callaghans accent.

"pig" is pronounced as "peg"

awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

That feckin' McDonalds ad:

"They're at hurling praaaaaaaaaactice, dood!"

• Advertisement

basquille wrote: »
    That feckin' McDonalds ad:

"They're at hurling praaaaaaaaaactice, dood!"

I love it! I know of many many people who speakk like that and this reminds me of all the time I have spent mocking them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

bohsboy wrote: »
    Inkjet.ie...."you city boys......:rolleyes:". I have dreams of dropping the heaviest inkjet printer I can find on that prats head.

"Stick that in your gooseberry"....? :confused: What does that mean?

A dreadful assault on my ears..

This is possibly the worst ad I've ever heard. Ridiculously loud compared to other ads, every time it comes on I have to go straight for the volume dial

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭need assistance

Call me stupid, but I still don't get that joke about South Georgia. Tom Creegan great Irish man but am beginning to hate him on account of that repetitive advertisement for the play. It is bad enough that his achievements were never acknowledged until someone from the Guinness advertising department dredged them up, but that add is so annoying it is dancing on his grave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

Call me stupid, but I still don't get that joke about South Georgia. Tom Creegan great Irish man but am beginning to hate him on account of that repetitive advertisement for the play. It is bad enough that his achievements were never acknowledged until someone from the Guinness advertising department dredged them up, but that add is so annoying it is dancing on his grave.

Tom Creegan's not dead.

Tom Crean is, mind, and in fairness, it's hardly a bad thing that his legacy was brought to our attention by an ad for Guinness. Far better than it being neglected & forgotten, I would have thought.

Theatre ads are all repetitive. By the very nature of 'trailers' you're bound to be sick of the punchlines before you actually get to see the play.

Bondvillain : Currently hating "Dunnes Stores : Batter Value" and Deirdre O Kane talking shyte about costcutters through her nose.

Tom Creegan's not dead.

Tom Crean is, mind, and in fairness, it's hardly a bad thing that his legacy was brought to our attention by an ad for Guinness. Far better than it being neglected & forgotten, I would have thought.

Theatre ads are all repetitive. By the very nature of 'trailers' you're bound to be sick of the punchlines before you actually get to see the play.

Bondvillain : Currently hating "Dunnes Stores : Batter Value" and Deirdre O Kane talking shyte about costcutters through her nose.

Poor Tom Creegan! Dead and buried before he knew it! :p

Judging by the many different books I've bought for my father over the last few years, Tom Crean doesn't need an ad to bring him to the attention of the public!

And although that one man show is supposed to be quite good, or so says my Dad, the ad has been running for too long and is really annoying!

Also agree with the Costcutter ad and ANYTHING where people have the inability to pronounce vowels correctly. (Them of the D4 accent!)

...that one for redhorizon.ie and the campaign associated with it is somehwat annoying when you find out what it's actually for...this and all the other ads for property related stuff of late have the faint whiff of desperation for business about them.

At least there's no Wycherly...maybe he's chilling out in his martian mansion? :pac:

Damn my prescience, that c*nt is back telling us it was all a spoof viral marketing campaign...thanks for the tip Don, and here was us thinking we were all heading for Olympus Mons for a bit of abseiling after putting down our deposit. :rolleyes:
    Overseas proerty me hole...

• Advertisement

I, Keano anyone? I see they're having yet another "final run"... Very Sinatra-esque...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Damn my prescience, that c*nt is back telling us it was all a spoof viral marketing campaign...thanks for the tip Don, and here was us thinking we were all heading for Olympus Mons for a bit of abseiling after putting down our deposit. :rolleyes:
    Overseas proerty me hole...

The first day I heard that ad I actually thought that the deposed son of the former president of Zaire's chief advisor's blind leper nephew was moving from Internet scams to radio. But no, it was just a "clever ruse". Not actually that clever really.

Who's Tom Creegan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

We've changed our name from interlink to dpd (or something like that). There are a few but I particularly like the Chris P. Bacon one.

We've changed our name from interlink to dpd (or something like that). There are a few but I particularly like the Chris P. Bacon one.
    I like the "DePayne King" dentists. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Anyone hear the eircom broadband ad with the stupid woman that can't talk?

"Why bwrodband?, why eircom bwrodband?"

Maybe it's eircom's new equal oppertunity policy that lets them hire people that speak like sheep or something, but it's very annoying either way :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I've no idea what the ad is for as I turn it off everytime it comes on but there's a very irritating child shouting "its free" over and over. I'll knock the little bugger into traffic if I ever meet him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

It's for the AA and it sounds like a little girl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I want to kill that kid, I really do.

Amz wrote: »
    It's for the AA and it sounds like a little girl.

There at least two of those ads, I think they are clever.:o

Clever? lol I'd call them a lot of things, but that would be waaay down the list.

..and like I said the last time it came up about 4 pages back, it's a boy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

Once again....

childrens voices do NOT work in radio ads. In fact, conversations in general do not work in radio ads, especially when they involve someone whose goddamn voice hasn't broken yet :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

That new ad with the kid with the blocked nose going on about how great he is because he booked a holday for him and his family. Die.

+1 on children's voices not working in ads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Maybe it's eircom's new equal oppertunity policy that lets them hire people that speak like sheep or something, but it's very annoying either way :mad:

They've been using the same tool for their radio ads for a while now. I find his "twerms and conditions applay" the most irritating.

The AA girl/boy's voice would go through your head too.

Anyway, I came in here to vent about the goddamn Capasal shampoo ad, where the woman screams at the guy. Bloody hell, all advertisers should just be shot.

Listen out for the Eircom "Bwoadband" girl.... once you notice her saying it, it'll drive you nuts :) (sorry!)

Mr E wrote: »
    Listen out for the Eircom "Bwoadband" girl.... once you notice her saying it, it'll drive you nuts :) (sorry!)

"Ah wef!

• Advertisement

Clever? lol I'd call them a lot of things, but that would be waaay down the list.
    ..and like I said the last time it came up about 4 pages back, it's a boy.

When I said clever, I meant its clever in the marketing/advertising scene. Two adults talking, with a little girl ( surely a little boy would not behave in this manner :rolleyes:) butting in would grap the attention of it's intended audience.

I know how you meant it... I'm still not seeing it though...annoying, patronising and typical of lazy Irish radio advertising, yes...clever, no.
    ...and it's a boy. No child would behave in this manner at all, realistically speaking...what child is really going to give you tips on car ownership? It's more like "Are we there yet" or "I need to pee"...

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭policeman

I've heard an ad for 'right price tiles' with an annoying shouting aggressive voice over - sounds like your man from today fm on at weekends. it offends my ears

policeman wrote: »
    I've heard an ad for 'right price tiles' with an annoying shouting aggressive voice over - sounds like your man from today fm on at weekends. it offends my ears
    Forget the voiceover, has anyone ever considered investigating the amount of "sales" they have? There are restrictions on how you can market something as being on sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

Karsini wrote: »
    Forget the voiceover, has anyone ever considered investigating the amount of "sales" they have? There are restrictions on how you can market something as being on sale.

They book their ads in 4 week cylcles, Sale Starts Monday, Sale Now on, Sale ends Sunday and finally Sale extended. I think you can only restrict a business that keeps having 'Closing Down Sales' unfortunately there is nothing preventing them selling Turkish Travertine and Polish Porcelain.

While were on Advertising Standards there is a newspaper ad for One Source with a woman, large book raised in arms about to crash down on Husband's head. She is saying, "Ya feckin eejit, have you seen this month's heating bill?" he says "Ahh Mary, I'll call them tomorrow." Two observations, who is most likely at fault if the heating bills are too high? The Man or the Woman? I'd say it's the Woman, always seem to be cold in work and at home in my experience. Secondly, I remember Protea Pine getting in to trouble for making light of domestic violence. Oh wait, it was the male being aggressive towards the female, so that was banned after public outrage. Nothing is being said so far about this because all men are eejits and fair game don't you know :rolleyes:

They book their ads in 4 week cylcles, Sale Starts Monday, Sale Now on, Sale ends Sunday and finally Sale extended. I think you can only restrict a business that keeps having 'Closing Down Sales' unfortunately there is nothing preventing them selling Turkish Travertine and Polish Porcelain.
    I'm pretty sure I learned in leaving cert business that you can only advertise a product as on sale if it hasn't been advertised as on sale within the last 6 months. I'm open to correction on that one, its been a while now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

I hate the costcutter ones (Deirdre O'Kane or Pauline mcLynn?). We women have our voices.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

What about the ones with the kids singing irritatingly?

One with a boy singing 'Rhinestone Cowboy' and one with a girl singing 'Kung-Fu Fighting'

Absolutely loathe those ads!

Ah basquille, the Kung Fu fighting one makes me smile. :)

My 2 latest hates:

1. Ad for some product, no idea what it is, but uses it the line "Never to be repeated, never to be repeated". Oh some marketing guy probably thought that was hilarious.

2. Latest ad for Jurys, uses the phrase "Über Luxurious". Nobody uses "über" in day to day speech, apart from nerds..... and Germans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

basquille wrote: »
    What about the ones with the kids singing irritatingly?

One with a boy singing 'Rhinestone Cowboy' and one with a girl singing 'Kung-Fu Fighting'

Absolutely loathe those ads!

Join the club

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement