Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,069 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    I've had to stop listening to Nova because of that stool sample add. I appreciate it's an important service but I can't be doing with hearing people talking about sh1tting in a box then posting it off while I'm cooking.
    You'd think they had the common sense to leave it out an hour before and after normal mealtimes.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Mary and Aine are back with yet another window Ad and the plot thickens - are they a same sex couple? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,713 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Mary and Aine are back with yet another window Ad and the plot thickens - are they a same sex couple? :D

"Brrr. It's certainly cold out Áine. I'm so glad I got these new windo..."

"I KNOW YOU GOT NEW WINDOWS, F*CKIN MARY. EVERY BLEEDIN TIME YOU OPEN YOUR MOUTH IT'S ABOUT YOUR F*CKIN WINDOWS. WILL YOU PLEASE SHUT UP ABOUT YOUR POXY BLEEDIN WINDOWS???"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    There is an ad for some service that makes posting your letters quicker.It ends with something about leaving you free to do more enjoyable things. Then there's the sound of glasses clinking.

They should roll that ad straight in to the other ad about the parents who are in bed (and not able to play with their kids) cos they went too hard on the beer the night before. Build a story out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

The Lotto ad voiced by Bernard O'Shea and his "WAN million euro".

And the way he delivers "play responsibly" and/or "share the dream" at the end of the ad suggests that he was embarrassed doing the ad such is the lack of energy employed in doing so. I doubt he was embarrassed at the fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,370 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

The Lotto ad voiced by Bernard O'Shea and his "WAN million euro".

And the way he delivers "play responsibly" and/or "share the dream" at the end of the ad suggests that he was embarrassed doing the ad such is the lack of energy employed in doing so. I doubt he was embarrassed at the fee.

The whole ad. Does a hotel booker really ask 'What sise (sic)?'

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Ferrier

The taxi ads. Don't tell us why you shouldn't have changed the name.

Art for the Elderly or something like that.
    Great, Painting by Stumblers.
    Seventy Shades of Grey.

'Hello, my name's Danielle Hegarty and I work in HR' or something like that - and then she goes on about strategic decision making etc....

Do you remember at primary school when you might be asked what sort of job you might like to do when you grew up? You know, like a fireman, soldier, nurse and so on, but HR give me patience.

Aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

Ferrier wrote: »
    The taxi ads. Don't tell us why you shouldn't have changed the name.

The taxi ads, hailo/mytaxi ones are the worst!!! :mad:
    They make no sense at all and are so annoying!
    It would actually make me steer clear of mytaxi :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭plodder

mimimcmc wrote: »
    I'll give them credit though for one of the slogans they have on the taxis themselves:

"New yoke. Same folk!" :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭serfboard

Maybe, but the name change has imprinted itself - and that's the whole point.
    plodder wrote: »
    I'll give them credit though for one of the slogans they have on the taxis themselves:

"New yoke. Same folk!" :)
    They have these on billboards as well.

serfboard wrote: »
    Maybe, but the name change has imprinted itself - and that's the whole point.
    We were talking about "curly pieces" this morning at home, and at work yesterday. I hate to say it, but it seems to be getting a lot of recognition. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,660 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

That AIG ad is back with the super-annoying woman's voice - twenny seven twenny seven TWENNY seven.

:mad:

You shouldn't be allowed do voiceovers without at least a cursory nod to proper diction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

'Hello, my name's Danielle Hegarty and I work in HR' or something like that - and then she goes on about strategic decision making etc....

Do you remember at primary school when you might be asked what sort of job you might like to do when you grew up? You know, like a fireman, soldier, nurse and so on, but HR give me patience.

Aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

I found myself working in HR and can confirm

Ah, now.

"Hailo is now My Taxi."

"My hoop"

Funniest ad I've heard in ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,514 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    That AIG ad is back with the super-annoying woman's voice - twenny seven twenny seven TWENNY seven.

You shouldn't be allowed do voiceovers without at least a cursory nod to proper diction.

Is it an American voice? That is how Americans pronounce Twenty in natural speech. Proper diction went out with the demise of dinner jackets for radio announcers.

Is it an American voice? That is how Americans pronounce Twenty in natural speech. Proper diction went out with the demise of dinner jackets for radio announcers.

Not American - very nice Dublin-ish accent.

She's also in the telly ad for AIB loans (I think) where they're standing at the car outside the house and someone is up a ladder behind them. (Yer man from that ad had his house done up on Room To Improve.)

Distinctive enough voice.

But she doesn't even begin to pretend that there might be a "t" in the word twenty :mad:

Not American - very nice Dublin-ish accent.

She's also in the telly ad for AIB loans (I think) where they're standing at the car outside the house and someone is up a ladder behind them. (Yer man from that ad had his house done up on Room To Improve.)

Distinctive enough voice.

But she doesn't even begin to pretend that there might be a "t" in the word twenty :mad:

I'm also guilty of the Twenny as proved when I count from 20 to 30 in natural speech. I have to make an unnatural effort to pronounce Twen Tee. How does it work for you?

I ignore these things on the radio, otherwise I would be picking up on stuff every minute I listen. I can't remember the last time I heard anyone on radio saying the word Because, it is always pronounced Cause. Cos that's just the way thing are.

• Advertisement

I'm also guilty of the Twenny as proved when I count from 20 to 30 in natural speech. I have to make an unnatural effort to pronounce Twen Tee. How does it work for you?

I ignore these things on the radio, otherwise I would be picking up on stuff every minute I listen. I can't remember the last time I heard anyone on radio saying the word Because, it is always pronounced Cause. Cos that's just the way thing are.
    I absolutely do pronounce the t in twenty! Not through any affectation, it's just the way I say it - and expect it to be said.

There's plenty on radio and in general that passes me by or I don't care much about - but that woman's pronunciation just sets my teeth completely on edge for some reason - it's so blatant, and lazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

I have been thinking for a while I would love if the ad for folic acid, where the voice over goes long before you hear this,if the last one, was a mans voice going 'Do you fancy a ride.'

There's no excuse for sloppy standards.
    What I find irksome is the vaguely insulting and patronising way the advertisers talk down to their listeners by mimicing them or attempting to.
    It's about time we brought back the dinner jacket in RTE news rooms and other studios. By crackey, we'd soon sort out that shower of ruffians in Montrose.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Ah, now.

"Hailo is now My Taxi."

"My hoop"

Funniest ad I've heard in ages.

I genuinely love these Hailo adds. I don't understand how so many people hate them.

I can't even Cope-enhagen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Invest in Shannon Crematorium

"the only crematorium in the west"

Invest in Shannon Crematorium

"the only crematorium in the west"

If you have a burning ambition to get in on the ground floor. :D

• Advertisement

Did anybody else find themselves asking the question "what the f**k is a LANYARD???" recently.

"I got these online vouchers".
    "Eh, that offer ended yesterday".

Eh, would this not have come up in the discussion prior to the woman sitting down in the chair... stupid, nonsensical, annoying ad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

I genuinely love these Hailo adds. I don't understand how so many people hate them.

I can't even Cope-enhagen.

I hate them. I can't understand what message they're trying to convey. Is it that the name change was a stupid idea, or that it's just a name change and everyone that works in advertising is a complete moron? Either way, they are ridiculously annoying ads.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

If I hear that Appliances Delivered ad one more time...

'...CHAINSAWS!'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,282 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Did anybody else find themselves asking the question "what the f**k is a LANYARD???" recently.
    Watch Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D and this guy will sort you out.
    2fb83bdd5ec1f5b997c549ecc81da807.jpg

• Advertisement

Faugheen wrote: »
    If I hear that Appliances Delivered ad one more time...
    They seem to have toned down the worst excesses of it though: the "what the actual beep" part.

Dear Rory from Elephant storage,

You sound like a nice fella, so I don't want to be mean.

But if you could say "zero" instead of "nought", that would be just swell.

Thanks,

Donie

Poor old Rory is a nice chap but a little patronising - 'think of it like a hotel' - dear God, like you're such a gob****e that you need the concept of a lock-up made simple for you to understand.

Nought nought, nought nought is like fingernails down a blackboard...:D

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,753 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

"I got these online vouchers".
    "Eh, that offer ended yesterday".

Eh, would this not have come up in the discussion prior to the woman sitting down in the chair... stupid, nonsensical, annoying ad

I actually love that ad. :o The TV version is the same but I find the woman getting the HD brows done very funny!

I have absolutely no idea what the ad is for, though. None whatsoever. I just know it's not an ad for beauticians or whatever you call them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,071 ✭✭✭✭neris

flazio wrote: »
    Watch Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D and this guy will sort you out.
    2fb83bdd5ec1f5b997c549ecc81da807.jpg

jaysus paschal donohues fairly pilled on the pounds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,874 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

plodder wrote: »
    We were talking about "curly pieces" this morning at home, and at work yesterday. I hate to say it, but it seems to be getting a lot of recognition. :(

Yep. It annoys the hell out of me but whoever came up with it deserves an award.
    Original and immediately recognisable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Nought nought, nought nought is like fingernails down a blackboard...:D

Listen again, he actually says nought, nosh, nought, nosh. It'll drive you mad when you hear it. Sorry. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

The c?l heroes ad on Today FM.

'But where is your Tipperary jersey?'
    'Ah... its in the wash'

Ah what

Man speaking about Sherry Fitz: "They'd do it better than you would do it yourself".

Wow, don't set the expectations of potential customers too high lads.

Man speaking about Sherry Fitz: "They'd do it better than you would do it yourself".

"Why get it wrong, when we can get it wrong for you?"

• Advertisement

Is that the one that ends with the customer testimony "Using Sherry Fitzgerald was a good thing to do." or something close to that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I'm sick to the back teeth of listening to the various Breast Check adverts, there is the guilt trip one about alcohol causing 1 in 10 cases and then there is the breast screening one for women aged 50 - 69.

I wish they'd spend less on these patronising adverts and put the money into extending the screening programme to women aged 35+.

Any ad, and there have been at least one hundred million of them, that has one voice doing the difficult break up speech - "we've just grown apart, it's not what it used to be, it's not you it's me, etc. etc.", only for the reveal that they're not talking to a boy or girlfriend, but are in fact talking to their insurance policy/electricity supplier/old couch.

How can you ad people even look at yourself in the mirror after producing this tired lazy bullsh*t??

Holy sh*t.

Do Newstalk deliberately pick irritating ads?

Every single one boils my p*ss.

If I was a toy.

You said you would drive a Mercedes one day.

The f*ckin fertility one ("A palm reader told me I'd have twins. *chuckle* A boy and a girl." THEN WHY THE F*CK ARE YOU GETTING YOUR FERTILITY CHECKED??)

I swear to f*ckin Jesus...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

It's only 4 months until your exam!
    It's only 4 weeks until your exam!

It's only 4 seconds until I hurl this radio into the bin. Don't even know what's being advertised. Exam grinds?

It's only 4 seconds until I hurl this radio into the bin. Don't even know what's being advertised. Exam grinds?

That is an epic fail on the part of the advertiser. The product name is clearly mentioned at the end, but the ad upset you so much that you did not hear it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,963 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Water.

Well, it claims to be homeopathic flower "medicine", but its water.

L1011 wrote: »
    Water.

Well, it claims to be homeopathic flower "medicine", but its water.

I have thousands of litres of free medicine I can sell to anyone who wants it. Will cure all ills and ailments of the general sort, if taken in moderation.
    NEW! Available in Rosewater tincture.

<no guarantee implied or given, should you or your dog develop symptoms including cough, fever or death, we recommend you see a licenced medical practitioner>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

They've re-recorded it !
    Still as annoying as F with some weird background noises added this time, but she has found her T's :eek:

The power of the interweb eh.

• Advertisement

1.618 wrote: »
    They've re-recorded it !
    Still as annoying as F with some weird background noises added this time, but she has found her T's :eek:

The power of the interweb eh.

Just noticed that tonight. Probably could pronounce her T's all along but thought it would sound more Mid-Atlantic (cool) to drop them. :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement