Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Worst radio voice I've ever heard.

That's Emmet Kirwan of the award winning "All Men Are B*stards" drivel that was forced down our throats on youtube a few months back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,874 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

"First we had Woodstock, then Live Aid. Now we have some insurance company's Street Party with Dustin The Turkey"

WTF***ingF***???

A woman with her two uncle's in the back of the car singing "ten green bottles"?

What century was that advertisement created?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

I find the latest 132.ie ad where the daughter walks in on her father having a shower to be a well made one. Slightly offbeat method of selling insurance granted and it could get annoying if they overplay it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,874 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I find the latest 132.ie ad where the daughter walks in on her father having a shower to be a well made one. Slightly offbeat method of selling insurance granted and it could get annoying if they overplay it.

Bit pervy though. She's 15.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,069 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Bit pervy though. She's 15.

I thought she over-reacted a bit, tbh. You'd think she'd never seen a willy before, and really?
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭plodder

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    I thought she over-reacted a bit, tbh. You'd think she'd never seen a willy before, and really?
    The two most annoying radio ad tropes at the moment are:

'The hysterical or sulky teenager' and

'Breaking up with your partner. wait no... actually your insurance company, or whatever'

That's Emmet Kirwan of the award winning "All Men Are B*stards" drivel that was forced down our throats on youtube a few months back.

His voice is so grating. That said he done this advert and it was good but not because of his voice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

'That Baz Thing'? Not only does the name betray a total lack of effort but the concept sounds extremely hazy and unstructured. Sorry, Baz, but telling us that the show is much more exciting than the snoozy music doesn't instil much confidence in this listener.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Is the Renault 'menage-a-trois' ad and are the other Renault TV and Radio ads voiced by Cormac O'Hara (R Na G and Radio 1 currently filling in for Sean O'Rourke)?

• Advertisement

Dan Jaman wrote: »

It's absolutely ridiculous. It's her father ffs, it's not a paedophile.... "now I'll need therapy"... Who talks like that???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Ad on Radio One for The Great Gatsby at The Gate accompanied by music written in the mid 1930's. It doesn't take much for somebody involved to use Google.

Apparently culchies can't click their fingers now. Well done to the National Lottery for that piece of absolute genius..

I'm gonna report it as anti traveller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Radio5

Is the Renault 'menage-a-trois' ad and are the other Renault TV and Radio ads voiced by Cormac O'Hara (R Na G and Radio 1 currently filling in for Sean O'Rourke)?

No I think it's the actor who used to do all voiceovers for the AIB ads a while back when they were plugging their sponsorship of ALL Ireland Club Finals. Andrew Bennett is his name. He was in one of Pat Shortt's 'comedy' TV series and also in the film 'the Stag'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Been away for a few weeks but just heard an ad on Newstalk for Q Promotions (possibly didn't get the name 100% acuurately there but something like that). It's pretty bad throughout (basic low level formula of one person asking a series of stupid and obvious questions so the other person can say the name of the company repeatedly) but the pièce de résistance is the woman's laugh at the end. Words can't describe it, you just have to hear it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Whatever that ad with the twittering birds is trying to sell to me isn't working as I mute it instantly:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

The Axa ad with "Mork", bad enough on tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

The National Lottery Ad with the finger clicking morons brings the word inane to a new level. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,660 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

That "Homebird" ad for cooked chicken/ turkey.....

I eat a lot of the stuff, and it sounds delicious, but would it ever occur to them to tell us where it's available???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

The ad for the SUSI on-line 3rd level grant application system is so annoying as it is voiced by Q102 Dublin radio presenter Debbie Allen who always sounds like she has just woken up from a big sleep and doesn't want to be on the radio!!

The TV license ads are bizarre, but amusing. They are almost credible, and get your attention with only a mild WTF. The new one I heard yesterday was a Ross O'Carroll Kelly type touting rugby trips.

plodder wrote: »
    The TV license ads are bizarre, but amusing. They are almost credible, and get your attention with only a mild WTF. The new one I heard yesterday was a Ross O'Carroll Kelly type touting rugby trips.

They are utterly ridiculous and amongst a myriad of similar sounding 'real' Ads only serve to confuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭cml387

Words can't describe it, you just have to hear it.

Just heard it.

Can't describe it.

Useful, if sampled, as additional effects for the witches in Macbeth.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    They are utterly ridiculous and amongst a myriad of similar sounding 'real' Ads only serve to confuse.
    Well the rugby one made me smile anyway, after as I said, the brief WTF? Though it did take me a while to figure out, the Visit Amsterdam one, wasn't two separate ads. The Dutch Tourist body would have fair cause to sue them for that atrocity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Q Promotions ... the pièce de résistance is the woman's laugh at the end. Words can't describe it, you just have to hear it.

I was just going to comment on that. Absolutely horrendous fake laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Opel 'onstar' , you can't turn on the radio without hearing about it , whatever the hell it is ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,370 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    That "Homebird" ad for cooked chicken/ turkey.....

I eat a lot of the stuff, and it sounds delicious, but would it ever occur to them to tell us where it's available???

You want them to list all the shops?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭optogirl

Birneybau wrote: »

I was a bit confused by that one too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,660 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Birneybau wrote: »

Any shops would do..... I haven't seen the product yet!

Not that I've looked particularly hard, but I might if I knew what sort of shops stocked it.....

Supermarkets? Delis? Corner spar/centra type shops?

Not that I've looked particularly hard, but I might if I knew what sort of shops stocked it.....

Supermarkets? Food shops? :confused:

Do you need to know where they sell sliced ham?

• Advertisement

Sorry Heidi, if it looks like I was getting at you, I wasn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Supermarkets? Delis? Corner spar/centra type shops?

I've seen it in Dunnes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭xraylady

plodder wrote: »
    Well the rugby one made me smile anyway, after as I said, the brief WTF? Though it did take me a while to figure out, the Visit Amsterdam one, wasn't two separate ads. The Dutch Tourist body would have fair cause to sue them for that atrocity.

What Company was the rugby one for, do you remember? Trying to look up online to show someone but can't remember- not a very effective ad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

xraylady wrote: »
    What Company was the rugby one for, do you remember? Trying to look up online to show someone but can't remember- not a very effective ad!
    I think it was for the TV license.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

His voice is so grating. That said he done this advert and it was good but not because of his voice

He was Pete's son in Fair City I think.

:) Yes, they are fake, and really ads for the TV license. I think the concept has been done to death now.

Another ad that made me laugh was one for some hotel out the west side of Dublin city. It's done in the style of maybe a mediaeval band of warriors being stirred up to attack the city, except narrated by a woman, suggesting it might actually be a shopping expedition. It's quite clever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,071 ✭✭✭✭neris

heard one for earlier on Nova about Dog Poo for Dun Laoghaire Rathdown council. An ad for dog poo that I cant even remember what the content of the ad was but had some really dodgy singing at the end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Adventure Rooms: I wawna do ee agee

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

neris wrote: »
    heard one for earlier on Nova about Dog Poo for Dun Laoghaire Rathdown council. An ad for dog poo that I cant even remember what the content of the ad was but had some really dodgy singing at the end

Came here to post this. I thought we'd reached a low for sh1t related ads with the 'cr4p in a box and post it to us' one. But this dog-cr4p song is mind-blowing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Heard an absolutely awful ad for Iarnród Éireann today on Newstalk... it took the form of motoring advice, such as you'd get from the AA. Make sure to pull over in a safe place if you have to stop, followed by the sound of a vomiting child, sat nav giving dodgy directions, etc. But then the final piece of advice was to make sure the car was never overloaded, and it seemed to end with people screaming, like seconds before a crash, before going to the IÉ voiceover.

Has anyone else heard this ad? Did I just mishear that part of it? Because if they really put the sound of an impending accident, it seems to me to be pretty sick...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

They say imitation is the best form of flattery.

In that case - thank you.

From Frank Keane Volkswagen.

Sorry - wtf? Did ye invent the car or the garage? Or am I missing something here?

Also highly irritating in that all their ads seem to be voiced by this guy -

fricatus wrote: »
    Heard an absolutely awful ad for Iarnród Éireann today on Newstalk... it took the form of motoring advice, such as you'd get from the AA. Make sure to pull over in a safe place if you have to stop, followed by the sound of a vomiting child, sat nav giving dodgy directions, etc. But then the final piece of advice was to make sure the car was never overloaded, and it seemed to end with people screaming, like seconds before a crash, before going to the IÉ voiceover.

Has anyone else heard this ad? Did I just mishear that part of it? Because if they really put the sound of an impending accident, it seems to me to be pretty sick...

At least the people in the car didn't have to put up with a nauseating stream of bilingual announcements for the duration of their journey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

fricatus wrote: »
    Heard an absolutely awful ad for Iarnrireann today on Newstalk... it took the form of motoring advice, such as you'd get from the AA. Make sure to pull over in a safe place if you have to stop, followed by the sound of a vomiting child, sat nav giving dodgy directions, etc. But then the final piece of advice was to make sure the car was never overloaded, and it seemed to end with people screaming, like seconds before a crash, before going to the Ivoiceover.

There's a bee in the car and they're screaming 'bee! Bee!!'

It's actually one of the VERY few ads that makes me smile ;)

cdeb wrote: »
    They say imitation is the best form of flattery.

In that case - thank you.

From Frank Keane Volkswagen.

Sorry - wtf? Did ye invent the car or the garage? Or am I missing something here?

Also highly irritating in that all their ads seem to be voiced by this guy -

Perhaps it is a comment on the emissions scandal in that a number of other car companies are now being investigated.

Otherwise it is another addition to VW's long and ignoble tradition of truly moronic radio ads.

Anyone seen this site - http://greatirishradioads.com/ ? I get the impression this is the irish radio industry giving themselves a pat on the back for their "genius" and "creativity".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

There's a bee in the car and they're screaming 'bee! Bee!!'

It's actually one of the VERY few ads that makes me smile ;)

Oh right! Thank goodness it wasn't what I had thought it was initially! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,713 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

dogmatix wrote: »
    Anyone seen this site - http://greatirishradioads.com/ ? I get the impression this is the irish radio industry giving themselves a pat on the back for their "genius" and "creativity".

I honestly can't think of anything less worthwhile than industry awards.

From the Oscars all the way down to those marketing awards you hear ads for on the radio. Make me f*ckin sick.

Most of them require a significant fee to enter, which is why you usually only see the same names on those best-place-to-work award yokes.

I'm reasonably sure if they were best places to work, they'd give those thousands of euros to employees with mortgages etc.

Just heard it again - "Set Piece Travel" - quite catchy. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭griffin100

Jesus that Dog Poo Dog Poo ad on Nova at the minute is brutal. The feckin Dog Poo song is stuck in my head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,713 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

There's now an ad in which a smattering of spanish words is meant to convince me to buy a Seat.

I've also heard that "everything sounds better in French" ad and some Opel ad in which "German engineering" gets mentioned.

Are you supposed to imagine you're driving around Madrid or Paris when you buy a car? What am I missing? As if I give a f*ck about any of this when I just want to be able to drive to the nearest Tesco.

(If you are supposed to do this, Opel, you're not doing yourselves any favours).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement