Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Has anyone else vomited in rage at the Dubliner Cheese ad's? Complete and utter wankey twee aural sheee-ite.

"and i think/realise it is now a good day" Oh do you bloody well think so? A mankey limp cheese sandwich makes your day? Hmmm you certainly have high aspirations in life don't you? You must cum in your pants in the dairy section of Dunnes, if cheese does that for you.

Fookin advert exec Twats (who will die by my hand once i hunt them all down) that have been put on this earth with the sole purpose of up setting my day. Why Jebus? Why?????????????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Ugh the Dubliner cheese ad with the boy talking about how awful it is to be all muddy from football and then how great he feels after a cheese sandwich is the worst.

He is a child. He's supposed to like getting muddy and hate cheese sandwiches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭pirate reject

I personally hate any ad, which involves an American accent for no logical reason other than because someone in the ad agency thinks it 'sounds cool'. What is cool about an American accent? Its the most annoying accent on the planet. The only thing possibly worse than that is if the same American accent is obviously faked by the Irish voice over actor. Now that really does my head in :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Goood one, pirate reject.... The guinness ads with the Charlton Heston-soundalike mumbling and whispering 'witty' dialogue are really bloody annoying....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭jiminywimilybob

Mr E wrote: »
    The guinness ads with the Charlton Heston-soundalike mumbling and whispering 'witty' dialogue are really bloody annoying....

Very, Very Annoying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭LarWright

KID: "Dad, can we get Sky?"
    DAD: "Gimme one good reason."
    KID: Lists off reasons that aren't really THAT good in fairness.
    DAD: "Eh, Darling, can we get Sky? Can we?"

OOOOOH Makes my blood boil! It's so bloody contrived I wanna vommit everytime I hear it!

That and "DUNNES STORES, Always BASSER VOLUE" Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

That Ford Transit van piece of crap, where the guy comes in boasting about his great new motor ("it's even got a thingy that helps you out on hill starts", smarmy prat) and the wife says "Hang on, you're self-employed"
    Guy: (dies a little inside) "yeah"

Are you serious? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

That Ford Transit van piece of crap, where the guy comes in boasting about his great new motor ("it's even got a thingy that helps you out on hill starts", smarmy prat) and the wife says "Hang on, you're self-employed"
    Guy: (dies a little inside) "yeah"

Are you serious? :confused:
    And it's not "boss"... it's "bo-as"! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

smaoifs wrote: »
    I hate the costcutter ones (Deirdre O'Kane or Pauline mcLynn?). We women have our voices.......
    Deirdre O'Kane. And if she has so many voices, why are they all irritating?
    basquille wrote: »
    What about the ones with the kids singing irritatingly?

One with a boy singing 'Rhinestone Cowboy' and one with a girl singing 'Kung-Fu Fighting'

Absolutely loathe those ads!

Yet more proof of why kids should be seen, and not heard. What child actually sings Rhinestone Cowboy anyway?

Worst of the moment is the Axa Drive Team ones. What are these people thinking when they come up with this drivel?

I detest the ad for some washing powder or something where that irritating child sings about his muddy dreams. I get that it's supposed to be annoying but it really is too much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

jor el wrote: »

Worst of the moment is the Axa Drive Team ones. What are these people thinking when they come up with this drivel?

God seriously...I was just logging in 'specially to decry this particular ad.
    Over to you Mark, thanks Jane....die in a fire.

AXA seem to be sweeping the board in bad ads currently...caught one on some TV station last night and I thought it was by the same team that did the radio one we're talking about here...some woman "singing" in it, same upbeat happy crappy BS...utterly loathsome.

Having been subjected to Irish radio again through work this week and last, I'm seriously considering contacting the HSA and asking them to classify Irish radio as an occupational hazard, their ad breaks doubly so.
    There was another ad that riled me too, but I can't recall it now, which is probably a blessing...I'll post back when I hear it again >.<

Spot on Werz..

"But you'll always be my favourite Kate!"
    "Oh Gerry!"

Arrrrggghhh!

lol you got the names right...proof that advertising works!

I wonder do AXA insure against accidental damge to radio receivers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

What about the ones with the kids singing irritatingly?

One with a boy singing 'Rhinestone Cowboy' and one with a girl singing 'Kung-Fu Fighting'

Absolutely loathe those ads!

Rhinestone cowboy is annoying, but the KFF is funny - 'specially when the kid is singing "whoa, whoa, whoa whooaah" at the end

Does anyone know what the ad is advertising on the radio about the cat and dog - and their different take on the vacuum cleaner, dog is made out to be silly where the cat is very much in the know?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

All of RTEs Fuel Your Immagination ads. A complete joke and patronising in tone.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

"and deh dubble bass and deh cello":mad:

Wertz wrote: »
    There was another ad that riled me too, but I can't recall it now, which is probably a blessing...I'll post back when I hear it again >.<

Ah yes, how could I have forgotten...the new attempt by Eircom Phonewatch to scare up some business...
    "Obviously a goy's most important posession is his 42" flat screen....it gives great peace of mind to know that it'll still be there when oi get home loike..."

This ad just sums up everything I dislike about the way Ireland has gone during the boom years...the wanton materialism, the decadence, the sh*tastic accent...it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I have a big telly too, but it's not the be all and end all this "goy" seems to think it is...it's a bloody telly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Wertz wrote: »
    Ah yes, how could I have forgotten...the new attempt by Eircom Phonewatch to scare up some business...
    "Obviously a goy's most important posession is his 42" flat screen....it gives great peace of mind to know that it'll still be there when oi get home loike..."

This ad just sums up everything I dislike about the way Ireland has gone during the boom years...the wanton materialism, the decadence, the sh*tastic accent...it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I have a big telly too, but it's not the be all and end all this "goy" seems to think it is...it's a bloody telly.

Yeah I absolutely despise this ad as well, "Its loike everyone knows these days yore 42" plasma screen is loike mans new best friend". What sad b*stard would call a telly his best friend? The other thing that bothers is the way they have actors trying to pretend that they are people who are just randomly interviewed about the product :mad:

land9 wrote: »
    'specially when the kid is singing "whoa, whoa, whoa whooaah" at the end

That's easily the most annoying part of the ad.
    Wertz wrote:
    AXA seem to be sweeping the board in bad ads currently...caught one on some TV station last night and I thought it was by the same team that did the radio one we're talking about here...some woman "singing" in it, same upbeat happy crappy BS...utterly loathsome.
    Sounds like you need to get some ADEZ!!!!! Helps maintain a strong bod-dy :mad: Body shouldn't be pronounced like it's two separate words. Dizzy bint.
    land9 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the ad is advertising on the radio about the cat and dog - and their different take on the vacuum cleaner, dog is made out to be silly where the cat is very much in the know?!
    Whiskas. Aparently, cats are smart, and have a keen understanding of physics, which is why you should feed them Whiskas :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

The kid in the back of the car in the AA commerical.

I feel sorry for her for having such thick parents.

• Advertisement

Funny... I feel sorry for the parents....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭gordon_gekko

Funny... I feel sorry for the parents....

i would only cry for a minute if i heard that kid who keeps saying ITS FREE forgot to wear his seat belt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Whiskas. Apparently, cats are smart, and have a keen understanding of physics, which is why you should feed them Whiskas :confused:

If they are so smart why did one of them climb up into the engine bay of my Da's car and get himself wrapped around the fan belts when Da went to the shops. Not too smart for a furry physics professor.... the ould fella wretched his breakfast when he lifted the bonnet to investigate the "unusual" noises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 whoareyouanyway

Yeah I absolutely despise this ad as well, "Its loike everyone knows these days yore 42" plasma screen is loike mans new best friend". What sad b*stard would call a telly his best friend? The other thing that bothers is the way they have actors trying to pretend that they are people who are just randomly interviewed about the product :mad:

completly agree about the randomly interviewed ****e! "I changed because im a mathimatical genius.............. shut the **** up you are quite obviously a bad actor that is reading a line from a badly written script. the most annoying adds at the moment though have to be the AA where the parents ignore the little girl "its free" **** off! or the the one with the girl in the office thinking about what she is going to get fur lunch and thanking god for centra or whatever yes because without Centra it is clear that no one would be able to eat lunch thus causing a huge slump in productiveness post 2 o clock the economy heading into free fall massive multinational companies end up going bust causing a the biggest crash in the global economy ever... so thanks Centra you ****ing saved the wold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

aaargh I hate that ad with gobshítes going on with their 20 and 4 is 24

I want to kill whoever made it

Spot on Werz..

"But you'll always be my favourite Kate!"
    "Oh Gerry!"

Arrrrggghhh!

Any mock news bulletin ads will be first against the wall when the revolution comes.

lmao....just when I thought Eircom Phonewatch had outdone themselves with '42" goy', along they come with another "Irish stereotype" that in reality bears absolutely no resemblance to anyone any of us know in Irish society.
    This gentleman comes from good breeding stock...and likens that to his choice in alarm systems; "something has quality when it's a well known name" (or words to that effect)...it'd be an insult to him to say he had marbles in his mouth; croquet balls would be more like it.
    God help the buuurglars that rob this fellow's stately home...if he catches them, he'll probably bore them to death with dinner party anecdotes and old golf scores...

Whatever agency is doing these ads needs to pack it's sh*t up and go home...you're feckin' useless...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Brennans Bread Advert sez he= Absolute unadultrated, Amature, Embarrassing Dog doo doo, utter Crapp :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Whiskas. Aparently, cats are smart, and have a keen understanding of physics, which is why you should feed them Whiskas :confused:

And the kitten is played by a female (clever) voice and the puppy is played by, surprise surprise, a male (not so clever) voice. The message is about as subtle as a brick through a Jew's window.

I thought we had left the era of sexual stereotyping behind? Oh wait, of course, it's only stereotyping when women are on the receiving end :rolleyes:

Anyway, like someone else said earlier about cat and machine getting tangled up together, they really aren't the brightest of creatures. When I was 13 I used to open a window and the cat would climb in. I'd then push the latch from the outside, closing the window, and trapping the unfortunate feline inside. Then I'd catch it - Hello Kitty!!! - and use it as a football for a while (I hate cats, always did).

It would escape after a while, but time after time it would fall for the "open window" trick. Clever creatures indeed!

I think karma rebounded on me though, since now I'm severely allergic to the b*stards!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

The new ad on TV for the Will Leahy show is a bit surprising. The shoes dancing around. (and yes, this is ot if you take the thread title literally!). Apart from being very similar to the today fm "moving hands" campaign, it doesn't feature the DJ at all.

"Listen to 2FM, We play the same music as everyone else".

odd.

tbh wrote: »

"Listen to 2FM, We play the same music as everyone else".

odd.

Using a damning indictment of popular radio stations in general, as an angle to promote listenership...how ballsy and post modern or something.
    The irony is great too...I mean if you want to attract listeners then standing out from the crowd and varying musical output on your station would probably work better than basically saying "We're as sh*te as everyone else but sure you may as well tune in" in a promo...

The "4 times more likely to have a crash while on a mobile phone" ad gives me a bit of a headache!

The "4 times more likely to have a crash while on a mobile phone" ad gives me a bit of a headache!

You're 4 times more likely to crash a car when listening to that ad, because it's quite dizzying.
    Wertz wrote:
    mao....just when I thought Eircom Phonewatch had outdone themselves with '42" goy', along they come with another "Irish stereotype" that in reality bears absolutely no resemblance to anyone any of us know in Irish society.
    Ah yes "One knows they're big and have to be good because it's eircom" bullshit. This is obviously someone who has never had any dealings with eircom, or any of their subsidiary companies. The one I really like is the guy that recommend Phonewatch to his parents. I always assume his parents must have cut him out of the will, and now he wants to get back at them by having them waste their money on rubbish like this.

That advert that TodayFM are running supporting Munster with the Amy Winehouse ripoff of 'Valerie' with a woman hollering 'Put one over FLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANERY!".

Absolutely horrific! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

ArthurF wrote: »
    Brennans Bread Advert sez he= Absolute unadultrated, Amature, Embarrassing Dog doo doo, utter Crapp :mad:

Have to agree... the "old Mr. Brennan" ads are well due a good taking out the back and putting out of their misery with old Mr. Shotgun.

As for the one for the Credit Union with the kid at the end saying "it's my place toooo..." in that pathetic cutesy voice ... NNnNNnnnNnNNNGggGgGgghhghhhhhhhHHhhh..!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭sham08

Donnacha o Callaghan and Titan Showers, need I say anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Like a throwback to [insert random GAA star here] plugging Net 10/10/20 in the 80s

Mike.

NTL/Chorus's Counting Lesson ad (4+4 is 8, 8+4 is 12, etc.) is the first ad in a long time that actually makes me change station.

ARE YOU LISTENING, RADIO STATION BOSSES?? I'M CHANGING STATION!

Probably not the desired effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

NTL/Chorus's Counting Lesson ad (4+4 is 8, 8+4 is 12, etc.) is the first ad in a long time that actually makes me change station.

+1

Stupid ad for eggs.ie. I'm sick of ads that try to be clever by making a man look stupid in an obvious situation. It's not clever, it's not funny, and it makes me want to throw rotten eggs at whoever made the ad.

• Advertisement

I honestly don't get the point of this ad. Normally there's some method to the madness in ads, but this one is just bizarre. From what I can gather, it's 24euro a month extra for all the bits they're advertising. Where the 20+4 bit comes from is lost to me. It would work just as well if they said 17+7 or 1+23, it's not like it's 20 for one thing and 4 for another, it's just 24. There's no breaking it up to give some meaning. Totally fcuked up advertising at it's most fcuked up.

I'm surprised though that nobody has mentioned toe Venus razors ad yet. Some (English) woman talking about her "bottom" (who says bottom when they mean arse, or even bum) being pert like a pint sized popstar's. Then it gets to her legs, and she emits a *noise* that would make Deirdre O'Kane run for the hills. The most irritating sound I've ever heard. The whole shaving your legs makes you a Goddess thing ran it's course in the mid-nineties too.

The Donnacha O'Callaghan one makes me laugh a little, it's just so bad. Like all the O'Gara ones that ran through the World Cup. Cheese at it's absolute finest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

or how about the twat who goes on about his "new pet" that's merely a feckin vacuum cleaner...FFS! :confused:

The advnaced pitstop ad, with the dozy bitch who doesn't want the "hassle" of taking her car for a service...."I wouldn't even know where to go"....I can think of a few choice destinations love...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Echelle

Worst radio ad at the moment has to be the coffee company ad ( Iwon't even publicise the company by giving its name)..

What about that Italian stereotype repeating 88.. 88.. 88?

mike65 wrote: »
    Like a throwback to [insert random GAA star here] plugging Net 10/10/20 in the 80s

Were you a Net Nitrate or Net Urea fan yerself, Mike?

If any farm ad that wants to make a comeback, its Ivomec. Great for your hoose, mange mite and worms.

That or Triple A Golden Maverick.

No All-Ireland final in the 1980's was complete without one of these ads... :)

"Hello, Tommy Leddy here....."

At the weekend, The Sound Shop in Drogheda celebrated 40 years on the go with some sale...

Considering pre and post-pirate days, it must be one of the longest running local radio ads in the country.

The proprieter, Tommy Leddy, has always voiced the ads. I dunno if its still annoying (Drogheda/Mid-Louth accent) or just passed into folklore and its gained cult/legendary status at this stage :)

"Bye-bye now!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

"'Gen U Ine' Counter Fig Rolls"......I despair, I really do. :mad:

DMC wrote: »
    "Hello, Tommy Leddy here....."

At the weekend, The Sound Shop in Drogheda celebrated 40 years on the go with some sale...

Considering pre and post-pirate days, it must be one of the longest running local radio ads in the country.

The proprieter, Tommy Leddy, has always voiced the ads. I dunno if its still annoying (Drogheda/Mid-Louth accent) or just passed into folklore and its gained cult/legendary status at this stage :)

"Bye-bye now!"

I must confess to actually liking those ads, the quaintness and parochial nature does indeed lend an air that is cult worthy. How the Sound shop is still in business is beyond me though...

If we're going to start discussing local radio ads, and LMFM in particular then those bloody ads for BBC mazda are a complete headwreck, with the boy doing the culchie take on Mazda's zoom zoom zoom jingle...

As for the other one that get's on my wick, which oddly enough is for another Navan motor dealer, with two ladies who lunch discussing their purchase...jesus just STFU already. I'm just glad that these ads and others like them never make it to national....I'm sure many other local stations have their own brand of annoying promos in a similar vein...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

That god awful Tom Crean ad. has surfaced again. Must be filling in for a cancellation in the Gaiety.

jaysus it's dire.... "on the the size of our sssssshum :mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement