Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

The ad for Double Base Eczema cream where the man and the woman actually make the "dum duh dum dum dum" sound.
    Surely they could have used a real double bass!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

You know an ad is a success when you have people on the internet inventing conversations based on what they heard on the radio. I saw it before with the Curly Pieces ad.

Not really as people rarely remember the product - just the Ad even if it's good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,514 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Not really as people rarely remember the product - just the Ad even if it's good.

How do you know this?

How do you know this?

It's just an opinion, but even judging from the number of people who post here about particular Ads and who can't remember what they are advertising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭plodder

That GAA ad with ".. calling bagsy(?) for the lift, tight hair cuts and gettin' the shift.." :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    All GAA ads make me sick.

All of the "it's what we are" bollocks is so condescending. So obviously written by some ad agency who've never been to a match between them.

I swear I actually saw an ad with #youarehurling at the weekend.

The RTE self promo GAA ads are as bad - "listen to the noise, listen to the heartbeat of the people of Ireland..." or this from last year "is it sweet? is it SWEEEEEEEET?". I think it is the same pompous, windbag of a GAA commentator in both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭cml387

It's just an opinion, but even judging from the number of people who post here about particular Ads and who can't remember what they are advertising.

and oddly enough, more likely to remember the name of the company if the advertisement is bad.

Quick....what is the ad with the cake wagon lady advertising

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,370 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

The new 'Fleadh T.v.' ad is just irritating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

plodder wrote: »
    That GAA ad with ".. calling bagsy(?) for the lift, tight hair cuts and gettin' the shift.." :mad:

What?? That's a class ad! I'm a fairweather GAA fan - at best - and it conjured up a whole hape of the feels for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

The ad for Budapest Dental whose work is excell ent and Mary can guide you through the whole pro cess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭plodder

What?? That's a class ad! I'm a fairweather GAA fan - at best - and it conjured up a whole hape of the feels for me.
    a hape of something all right. Just a bit OTT for my taste, and your man's voice sounds a bit old for a minor, in my book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

tesco mobile ads for phones for kids returning to school

terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

Whatcha do wit de bicuits...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,713 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

dogmatix wrote: »
    The RTE self promo GAA ads are as bad - "listen to the noise, listen to the heartbeat of the people of Ireland..." or this from last year "is it sweet? is it SWEEEEEEEET?". I think it is the same pompous, windbag of a GAA commentator in both.

Ahem.

That ad is not for GAA, it's for NCBI (National Council For The Blind, Ireland).

Birneybau wrote: »
    The new 'Fleadh T.v.' ad is just irritating.
    It's up there with that ad involving the child vomiting into the handbag. I turn down the volume whenever I hear it.

Advertisers: nobody wants to hear a child vomiting into their earpiece, let alone an irritating burst of Irish trad music when one is insufficiently inebriated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

It's up there with that ad involving the child vomiting into the handbag. I turn down the volume whenever I hear it.

And there's another ad that lists "irritating noises", one of which is very sharp feedback which almost made me crash the car the first time it blasted out the radio at me. On the one hand these gobsh1tes spend money on ads telling us all to be careful on the roads and that absolute nonsense stop, sip a coffee and sleep.... yeah you heard it.. drink a stimulant and then sleep.. And on the other hand they permit advertisements to be aired that are so distracting that they could actually cause accidents all on their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

The ad for Budapest Dental whose work is excell ent and Mary can guide you through the whole pro cess.

and she will travel with you too!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

And there's another ad that lists "irritating noises", one of which is very sharp feedback which almost made me crash the car the first time it blasted out the radio at me. On the one hand these gobsh1tes spend money on ads telling us all to be careful on the roads and that absolute nonsense stop, sip a coffee and sleep.... yeah you heard it.. drink a stimulant and then sleep.. And on the other hand they permit advertisements to be aired that are so distracting that they could actually cause accidents all on their own.

Maybe its just me but when TodayFM is leading into the news bulletins they have this background music that has a notorious whine in it.
    I actually thought there was something wrong with my radio the first time i heard it. It really hurts my ears!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Did you know?

All our lectures.

In Dublin city centre.

Are available live online.

And they're also.

Recorded.

He'd drive me mad as a lecturer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

The Bazil Ashmawy ads for his radio show. That margarine tub level of smugness could cause someone intestinal distress..

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,753 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

stop, sip a coffee and sleep.... yeah you heard it.. drink a stimulant and then sleep..

Just to be a pedantic siht but caffeine takes 40mins-1hour to have any effect as a stimulant so if you're knackered, you'll be able to sleep but probably only for as long as it takes for the stimulant to kick in depending on your body. A 40-minute nap is pretty good for recovering from drowsiness if you suffer from it.

Longer naps are a bad idea, so if you've taken a drink of coffee and try and sleep for 1.5-2 hours, you'll wake up probably around the 1 hour mark and feel like utter ****.

Anyway, that's all pretty much an aside but hopefully someone will find the info useful.

Soooo how come if I can't do anything till I've had a coffee it makes me fierce narky?

What sort of a nap do I need to fix that?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,753 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Soooo how come if I can't do anything till I've had a coffee it makes me fierce narky?

What sort of a nap do I need to fix that?

I have some pills that will sort that out for you. Let's call them "coffee pills." They send the blah-de-blah straight into your bloodstream irrespective of your metabolism, so you won't need the nap. Just get up, slam a few pills, and go.

It's brilliant. They're just made of powdered sugar but people will pay arms and legs for them. They are made out of powdered whey and coffee essence and they contain secret cultures (none of which are subversive historically) and fortifying vitamins that are absorbed directly by the body to give you immediate gumption. Only $40 a pop as well, hard to believe.

Anyway, I'll be awaiting PMs.

I have some pills that will sort that out for you. Let's call them "coffee pills." They send the blah-de-blah straight into your bloodstream irrespective of your metabolism, so you won't need the nap. Just get up, slam a few pills, and go.

It's brilliant. They're just made of powdered sugar but people will pay arms and legs for them. They are made out of powdered whey and coffee essence and they contain secret cultures (none of which are subversive historically) and fortifying vitamins that are absorbed directly by the body to give you immediate gumption. Only $40 a pop as well, hard to believe.

Anyway, I'll be awaiting PMs.
    Mod: Banned for scurillous drug shilling.

Also send me some of those yokes. I don't work for nothing

I've noticed the return recently of the Ads for various colleges in Dublin which encourage people to call into their 'campsuses' on places such as Westmoreland Street and Dawson Street - conjures up images of The Hanging Gardens of Babylon or Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...with apologies to Basil Fawlty. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,658 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Mrs Brownses Boys is back. It's only mid-August.

We'll be hearing those ads for the next four months :mad:

(at least this one doesn't feature the hysterical whinnying laugh of last year's one - or maybe it does, I was half asleep when I heard it)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Tagra Wardrobes have a new woman doing their ads but she says the same thing as the previous woman; 'Too many clothes? There's no such thing' etc

I preferred the previous voice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭optogirl

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    Tagra Wardrobes have a new woman doing their ads but she says the same thing as the previous woman; 'Too many clothes? There's no such thing' etc

I preferred the previous voice.

& the cringe inducing 'I might let the husband have some of the space' or some other shi*e to that effect. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Ahem.

That ad is not for GAA, it's for NCBI (National Council For The Blind, Ireland).

But it's still a bloody annoying ad! No offence to the blind of course. Actually wait a minute, they are not going to be reading this anyway unless boards.ie is avaliable in braille. That might work - a bit like that blind bloke out of the movie "Sneakers" with his braille reader that reads words of a screen.

But on a wider note - being a charity is no defense. We all know and hate the annual Bothar xmas irritation marathon featuring the unspeakable goat. Which reminds me that it is only 3 months to the next airing of said ads - god help us all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,947 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Actually wait a minute, they are not going to be reading this anyway unless boards.ie is avaliable in braille.

Virtually website is available in braille with a braille terminal; or in audio via screen reader - they need to be shockingly poorly designed not to be. The old m. mobile site would work perfectly.

I'd be surprised if there aren't blind or partially sighted boards.ie users using one or both of those.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    Virtually website is available in braille with a braille terminal; or in audio via screen reader - they need to be shockingly poorly designed not to be. The old m. mobile site would work perfectly.

I'd be surprised if there aren't blind or partially sighted boards.ie users using one or both of those.
    That's interesting to know.

I wonder if any of these readers read the radio forum. You'd think so, right?

We all know and hate the annual Bothar xmas irritation marathon featuring the unspeakable goat. Which reminds me that it is only 3 months to the next airing of said ads - god help us all.

Please don't assume that just because you hate it everyone else does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭davef1000

He's right though, in this case. We had a poll last week and every single person in the country hates the Bóthar ads. (You may have been away that day.)

Judging from the various threads on Boards I would think it's safe to say that most people can't stand Goat and his pals. There was a YouTube video with Goat getting blown away but I can't find it now. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Judging from the various threads on Boards I would think it's safe to say that most people can't stand Goat and his pals. There was a YouTube video with Goat getting blown away but I can't find it now. :D

I think PeterTheNinth might help with that one. Might even have made it iirc.

davef1000 wrote: »
    He's right though, in this case. We had a poll last week and every single person in the country hates the Bóthar ads. (You may have been away that day.)

Speaking of Christmas (I know we're not there yet), this was voted best joke at the Edinburgh Festival.

Insomnia is awful.
    But on the plus side – only three more sleeps till Christmas.

Speaking of Christmas (I know we're not there yet), this was voted best joke at the Edinburgh Festival.

Insomnia is awful.
    But on the plus side – only three more sleeps till Christmas.
    Jaysis.

I guess you had to be there!

I wasn't too bothered by the Bóthar goat at first, but it grated so bad in the end. It's some satisfaction to think of the blaggard on a spitroast somewhere in Ethiopia, though.

Still, nothing is as bad as the panto ads. They ruin Christmas.

I just checked the thread and people have been complaining about the goat for years. I think one in particular is a bit obsessed. But that means the ad has been working for a long time, otherwise it would not be re-used. Probably something to do with it being memorable.

I wouldn't pay any attention to the views on this thread, or on the Radio threads in general. It's mostly one long whinge about what are actually the most popular presenters and most listened to programmes in the "real world".

Any chance we could bring posts praising Best Radio Ads up to say 25% of the input here? It would make the place a bit more cheerful.

Any chance we could bring posts praising Best Radio Ads up to say 25% of the input here? It would make the place a bit more cheerful.
    I think many of us are optimists by disposition, but it's just human nature to take the piss out of the car crash stuff.

I dont know about you, but faking positivity about ads on the radio sounds more depressing than many of the ads :pac:

None of this ad stuff is malicious anyway.

Well ... maybe just the anti-goat movement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭davef1000

Well ... maybe just the anti-goat movement.

And those feckin' windows.

And Curly Pieces.

And the patronising Women's GAA ads.

Not to mention them bloody windows.

Tesco making everything more complicated than it has to be.

And Appliances Delivred.

And MyTaxi.

But mainly those GODDAMN WINDOWS.

davef1000 wrote: »
    And those feckin' windows.

And Curly Pieces.

And the patronising Women's GAA ads.

Not to mention them bloody windows.

Tesco making everything more complicated than it has to be.

And Appliances Delivred.

And MyTaxi.

But mainly those GODDAMN WINDOWS.

*high five*

Ma' man.

There's nothing worse than what sounds like Nevin Maguire voicing a goat asking repeatedley 'Are we there yet'...

The goat has a Cork accent, no? Nevin has a caricature of a Navan accent.

You're bang on. Think he does the voiceover at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Be seen by a GP..

IN MINUTES

ON F**KING SKYPE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Birneybau wrote: »
    There's nothing worse than what sounds like Nevin Maguire voicing a goat asking repeatedley 'Are we there yet'...

Only another few months to go ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,069 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

That fake competition ad for the Opel Forgettable car.
    Lame.
    Just... lame.
    I suppose it sounds great to a caffeine-addled bunch of 20-somethings in an agency somewhere.
    But it's just lame.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

What about the dog poo ad? Terrible stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Agrian Brian

Just communicate your message in a sober and to the point manner in your advert. No need for jokes, catchphrases etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,869 ✭✭✭statto25

Rowa Gummy Bears....Anger Rising!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement