Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

This thread used to be fun....sigh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

This thread used to be fun....sigh

I agree. There's really only one person dragging it down though.
    IMO it's a thread for having a bit of craic and taking the piss out of what is some incredibly cheap/lazy/unimaginative advertisements.

It's a great place to have a mini rant about a particular ad that winds you up. It's also a good spot to throw out an alternative version of a stupid ad.

It does help to have a sense of humour here though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I get the impression you are involved in advertising in some way and can't bear to read any opinions that don't put your craft on a pedestal...

Craft....mmmmm. Nah I don't think so...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Life begins at 40. Oh nice, that's my age. Good to hear that.

Unless you have a stroke. Ah jaysus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

My own favourite is the "Are we there yet" from the goat in the Bothar ad. It is one of the most successful ads judging by the fact that it is rolled out every year. The secret no doubt is it's memorability.

Goat - from Bothar! Oh god no, now my blood pressure is rising again. I wonder how many people bothar kills every xmas due to sudden increases in high blood pressure leading to strokes and heart attacks etc... I suspect I might be one this coming season - I don't think I can take another bothar xmas campaign with "goat".

But getting nback on track - The Air France ad has been running for a while now, and it is starting to get on my nerves. A typical lazy and uninspired ad where you hire a bad actor to imitate a foreign accent, and this blokes French accent is right out of the “allo, allo” school of crap exaggerated accents.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Ohhh, that ad just started running on Newstalk for some gentlemen's shirts company - I said, he said, I said, he said .....etc

Causes me to change station as soon as it comes on.
    Couldn't name the company either.

p.s. apologies for my first contribution being negative, promise I'll post here when I hear an ad I like!

100412.2526@compuserve.com

Ohhh, that ad just started running on Newstalk for some gentlemen's shirts company - I said, he said, I said, he said .....etc

p.s. apologies for my first contribution being negative, promise I'll post here when I hear an ad I like!

Agreed - Charles Twitter or something shirts. What where they thinking off when they produced this ad?! And i'm not sure they are such great shirts as they seem to be the sort of dross you can only buy in those sh*te glossy catalogues that are always falling out of the sunday newspapers. Which then go immediately into the recycling bin or on the toilet roll holder if you are on an economy drive and it is 5 days until the next pay day and you've run out of bog roll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,370 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I have to admit I haven't got a clue what that means.

Well, exactly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

For Christ sake can you lot bring your tiff elsewhere, you're all putting a downer on what is usually a funny forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

And on another note.....

Not only are my ears assaulted by Charles bloody Twyford and his shirts (or whatever they're called), I'm now seeing ads for them crop up on Instagram, Facebook and other social media. MY EYES.

The shellfish ad. I’m not sure who it is for – I think it might be for AIB’s continuing campaign for sh*te grammatical standards. To a back drop of overly dramatic music straight out of a Michael Bay film, we hear an slightly emotional bloke extol the virtues of people who harvest shellfish. Apparently they are the last of the hunter gatherers (I can’t really reconcile a bunch of guys in shiny raincoats and wellie boots with an image of fur-clad neaderthals heading out to hunt mammoths and battle sabre toothed tigers). And then he says something about always staying hungry (in a business sense). I mean, what a load of over the top, hyperbolic cr*p. A little like the “I’m ready for the winter racing, are you” ads.

On the positive side-
    I’m still liking the “or my name is’nt Michael Thaddeus Lynch McMurphy O'Flaherty..... “ ad!

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,753 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

dogmatix wrote: »
    The shellfish ad. I’m not sure who it is for – I think it might be for AIB’s continuing campaign for sh*te grammatical standards....

:D

They're continuing mission to bravely verb adjectives...

• Registered Users Posts: 8 MacSNaP

Created by an English ad agency who think they 'nailed' it with regard to Irish humour.
    http://www.tsw-creative.com/charles-tyrwhitt-radio-ad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

A Cháirde,
    Shouldn't we avoid naming the company or product involved. 'Cos that only encourages them.

BTW That annoying shirt advert must have inspired by an equally annoying and long established bread advert, the one with the exaggerated Dub accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    Max and Luna? Maxaluna?

Anyone heard this ad? It's really annoying me now!

It's Matzaluna. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,069 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

dogmatix wrote: »
    The shellfish ad. I’m not sure who it is for – I think it might be for AIB’s continuing campaign for sh*te grammatical standards. To a back drop of overly dramatic music straight out of a Michael Bay film, we hear an slightly emotional bloke extol the virtues of people who harvest shellfish. Apparently they are the last of the hunter gatherers (I can’t really reconcile a bunch of guys in shiny raincoats and wellie boots with an image of fur-clad neaderthals heading out to hunt mammoths and battle sabre toothed tigers). And then he says something about always staying hungry (in a business sense). I mean, what a load of over the top, hyperbolic cr*p. A little like the “I’m ready for the winter racing, are you” ads.

On the positive side-
    I’m still liking the “or my name is’nt Michael Thaddeus Lynch McMurphy O'Flaherty..... “ ad!

I long ago realised that deep-sea (and other more inshore fishermen) were the last of the hunter-gatherers in the truest sense. Life on a trawler, even a modern one, isn't very comfortable, quiet, or even healthy. Indeed, it goes some way to being a job I really wouldn't want to do.
    I take my hat off to those who do it, in the crappiest of weather, all year around.
    My gripe with the ad is the singling out of shellfishermen. In my book, the accolade belongs to all fishermen in all weathers (apart from sport fishermen, of course).
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,069 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

BTW That annoying shirt advert must have inspired by an equally annoying and long established bread advert, the one with the exaggerated Dub accent.

"Yesterday's bread, tomorrow" ? At least that used to be the case in my nearest S.V.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

It's Matzaluna. :-)

You're a star.

A previous poster mentioned there is far too much negativity on this forum, so in that spirit I will try to give a positive along with the negatives. But given that 90% of Irish radio advertising is pretty dire I doubt I will be able to maintain that level of objectivity for more then a few days.

Positive.
    Supervalue insurance. The one where the women says "it's not me, it's you" and the man says "okay fair enough, i'll get me things". It is funny - even if the rest of the ads in the series are very low quality.

Negative.
    I just heard that Clayton hotels ad for the first time yesterday - dear god it is vile! How did it ever get past the ideas stage? How did Clayton hotels ever think - "yeah, thats great, very funny, people will really love it". A hotel group to avoid next time I am booking a short break methinks... That and that hotel out west where the campy bloke says "and the password is CHEERS!". Is that how he really talks are is he just doing an impression of Mr Humphries from "Are you being served?".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,874 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

That's how he really speaks. It's hereditary. They are actually good craic if a little bit eccentric. The ad is awful though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

can we start naming and praising (or shaming) the voices behind these ad's??

can we start naming and praising (or shaming) the voices behind these ad's??
    Praise away.

Blaming, however... Wisest not to.

They're just badly paid voice-actors, unlikely to have any input into the content of these ads. It doesn't seem fair to blame them for executive marketing choices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,512 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

We had that already with the poor unfortunate who offended the nation by saying Twenny instead of Twen tee. Apparently the outrage made the company re-record the ad with proper diction.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,753 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

We had that already with the poor unfortunate who offended the nation by saying Twenny instead of Twen tee. Apparently the outrage made the company re-record the ad with proper diction.
    Well, "proper" diction. Better diction maybe.

It's a start.

Fake Jeremy Clarkson is back. Such a bad idea for an ad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,319 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

That RSA ad with the record player plsses me right off. " If you hit a pedestrian at 50 k/m they have a 50% chance of surviving" etc.
    How about this " If a pedestrian doesn't walk out in the road in front of a car they have a 100% chance of surviving"

Just learn The Safe Cross Code FFS! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

gammygils wrote: »
    That RSA ad with the record player plsses me right off. " If you hit a pedestrian at 50 k/m they have a 50% chance of surviving" etc.
    How about this " If a pedestrian doesn't walk out in the road in front of a car they have a 100% chance of surviving"

Just learn The Safe Cross Code FFS! :(

Yes, but the reality is that they do walk out onto roads unfortunately, particularly children and the elderly, and until all drivers understand this and stick to the speed limits, the ads will continue (and you'll have to continue being p155ed off, I'm afraid).

Praise away.

Blaming, however... Wisest not to.

They're just badly paid voice-actors, unlikely to have any input into the content of these ads. It doesn't seem fair to blame them for executive marketing choices.

I would agree with you to a certain extent - but an exception should be made for that wa*ker who voices "goat" from bothar. That buffon deserves to be tarred and feathered, dressed up in some goat skins and promptly shipped out to some third world country with a sign around his neck saying “eat me please, I’m tasty”.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Those Appliances Delivered ads can go take a running jump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

How about the patronising "So, you've made it through the recession"...truly infuriating. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The ad for MSL where it's 2 guys talking about the pitfalls of buying a car from the U.K.

"Flight over, Ferry back!, Lost the U.K. paperwork!, under budgeted the VRT!, and now theres an engine light on!"

OK.

Flight over & ferry back - cheap enough, but a nice day trip over on a plane over and a nice drive in a new car and then a big boat home.
    Lost the U.K. paperwork - You lost it, you're an idiot.
    under budgeted the VRT - you calculated it wrong, you're an idiot.
    engine light on - did you not pay the additional few pound (probably less than 1% of the car value) to have it inspected by a qualified professional? no?, you're an idiot.

*I've never imported a car from the U.K., but i'm thinking about it!! just to spite these f**kers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,713 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

The ad for MSL where it's 2 guys talking about the pitfalls of buying a car from the U.K.

"Flight over, Ferry back!, Lost the U.K. paperwork!, under budgeted the VRT!, and now theres an engine light on!"

OK.

Flight over & ferry back - cheap enough, but a nice day trip over on a plane over and a nice drive in a new car and then a big boat home.
    engine light on - did you not pay the additional few pound (probably less than 1% of the car value) to have it inspected by a qualified professional? no?, you're an idiot.

*I've never imported a car from the U.K., but i'm thinking about it!! just to spite these f**kers!

Ha ha. Yep, the lost paperwork makes me laugh.

It's really a terrible mistake in an ad, cos it just sounds like they're clutching at straws.

He might as well say Yeah, and then I was driving home and it started raining. Never again."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭plodder

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Ha ha. Yep, the lost paperwork makes me laugh.

It's really a terrible mistake in an ad, cos it just sounds like they're clutching at straws.

He might as well say Yeah, and then I was driving home and it started raining. Never again."
    Haven't heard that, but they really are. My daughter bought a car up North. It couldn't have been easier. Revenue make the VRT process very straightforward as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,071 ✭✭✭✭neris

OK.

This from the same crowd whos chief exec came out last week and said the irish car markets about to go belly up and be flooded with 2nd hand irish cars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Hillybilly4

For a change, a radio advert that I LIKE!
    It's the one for the Tesco F&F clothing range and is in the form of a cheesy song "Supermarket Woman" where at the end she says something like "I only popped in for milk". Have been hearing it on Today FM of late.
    Personally I think it's a clever and humorous ad, a bit different to the norm. Thumbs up from me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

It's the one for the Tesco F&F clothing range and is in the form of a cheesy song "Supermarket Woman"

I like the song, my girlfriend hates it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Angiebaby1

On a positive note what about the ad series for 123 particularly the one where the daughter runs into the bathroom to wash her hands when dad's getting into the shower - "one leg in one leg out" - I think it's priceless

Angiebaby1 wrote: »
    On a positive note what about the ad series for 123 particularly the one where the daughter runs into the bathroom to wash her hands when dad's getting into the shower - "one leg in one leg out" - I think it's priceless

I'll admit that made me laugh.

Not as much as the dodgy sat nav one (which I think is in the same series). Yer man shouting "I'm supposed to be at a Christening!" still makes me laugh although I've heard it loads and loads of times.

Just to add to this breakout of positive vibes, I really like the ad featuring the ex-Daniel O'Donnell fan, with her rhinestone-studded Daniel jacket, who is getting rid of all her Daniel merchandise after he offered to replace her boiler. It's a promotion for Registered Gas Installers.

• Advertisement

Ah but the daughter is the best and I can almost see yer man going "I'm havin' a shower...." it's genius

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,370 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Ah but the daughter is the best and I can almost see yer man going "I'm havin' a shower...." it's genius

Did you write it or are you the girl?

Ooh. Divisive.

I like it too. Haven't the foggiest what they're promoting, mind you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

It's disgusting, creepy and stupid in equal measure.

Haha no and no - just listen to a lot of radio and enjoy rare moments of cleverness in the ads

Wow not a lot of cleverness there plus major sense of humour failure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭cml387

Del.Monte wrote: »
    It's disgusting, creepy and stupid in equal measure.

It's certainly stupid and not funny...in my opinion of course.

If you inadvertently walked in like that most would just go "oh sorry" and close the door quickly, not make an elaborate farce over the whole thing.

No. Creepy. Unfunny. I'm with Del.Monte on this. But it's an opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭The Specialist

The guy on the Donegal Catch advert might as well be speaking Chinese, it's like 15-20 seconds of noises vaguely trying to form words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭plodder

Just to add to this breakout of positive vibes, I really like the ad featuring the ex-Daniel O'Donnell fan, with her rhinestone-studded Daniel jacket, who is getting rid of all her Daniel merchandise after he offered to replace her boiler. It's a promotion for Registered Gas Installers.
    I thought the same, though my daughter heard it this morning and said it was stupid. I had seen the TV version first (which is actually a very good ad), but she hadn't. This seems to be a common thing now, with the radio version being basically a reminder of the TV ad.

Me too - just heard it this morning, really liked it.

Holy f*ck.

That sickening "It's not too late to order for Christmas!" M&S ad is on already.

It's not too late!

TOO F*CKIN LATE! FOR CHRISTMAS!!!!

Go f*ck yourselves.

Now, listen up everybody. Don't panic. If you can at all manage to not panic about being late ordering from M&S, don't panic.

Relax. I remember this from last year. It'll be not too late till the week before Christmas, or thereabouts. B*llocks.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement