Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I like that Rhinestones ad too, it reminds me of those old school ads that appear in Bioshock.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Alicano

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I love that Rhinestones ad.

Don't know why. Every year for about 2 months before Christmas Newstalk play it every day. Always make me smile, even though I've heard it a million times.

Don't know why.

Ah come on Ol D? It's dreadful.. The fake voice is cringe!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Alicano

I like that Rhinestones ad too, it reminds me of those old school ads that appear in Bioshock.

What is wrong with you people!? :D
    Can somebody back me up please... Awful advert.
    I get embarrassed for it every time.. *shudder.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Alicano wrote: »
    Ah come on Ol D? It's dreadful.. The fake voice is cringe!! :p

You think that's bad, you should hear me doing that voice.

Which I do every time the ad comes on.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

Alicano wrote: »
    What is wrong with you people!? :D
    Can somebody back me up please... Awful advert.
    I get embarrassed for it every time.. *shudder.:)

Would the laaydy care to donce...?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Trebor176

"Rapunzel at de Gaiety Tayashurrrr. . ."

Would you ever go and s***e, Porter. I didn't think he could get more annoying, but Jesus, that advert is horrific. Whatever about the "this is no owdinawy panto" bit at the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭KReid

There's an RSA advert, everywhere, or at least was for Remembrance Day. The girl doing the voice sounds so worried on every line... She makes it sound so worrying and is almost chattering her teeth it seems. I know her voice from something else, possibly old Lifey Valley ads. Anyway, I cant drive anywhere without hearing it as its being carried on all stations, and its quite annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Any of these fake put on voice overs for upcoming gigs...Michael Buble being the new one.
    Some guy talking in a sh*t accent, over emphasizing every word, about a sh*t gig.

"Wolking on coooorss" was another of my 'favourites' from a few months back.

I know they feel the need to be dramatic but f*ck me, cringe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Death to whoever wrote that Harvey Norman Freedom ad. 'Dickhead is quite literally 350ft in the air'. Wtf'ingF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,558 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

As if the bastardisations of the English language from AIB ("we're backing brave") and Aer Lingus ("smart flies Aer Lingus") weren't bad enough, now we have

"Eir, lets make possible"

FFS!

Makes my head hurt :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

The new (?) Ad for use a registered gas installer is rather good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,947 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Del.Monte wrote: »
    The new (?) Ad for use a registered gas installer is rather good.

If you don't want to die in your kip
    Or be blown to a million bits
    Use a bloke who's an RGI
    And you won't get a dose of the ships

For we can wrap it with yellow tape
    Until there's no leak any more
    And we'll rifle your wallet with your consent
    We don't care if we leave you poor

For we're the men of the RGI
    And we've got the certs to prove it
    We roam the land, stilsons in hand
    If looks like a gas pipe, we'll move it
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

I heard that yesterday all right. I think a little sick came up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

Trebor176 wrote: »
    "Rapunzel at de Gaiety Tayashurrrr. . ."

Would you ever go and s***e, Porter. I didn't think he could get more annoying, but Jesus, that advert is horrific. Whatever about the "this is no owdinawy panto" bit at the end!

Thats not Porters panto. He's doing another in the Olympia which also has an annoying effin ad which is a rip off of the Gaiety ad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,779 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Has the Aled Jones ad made it over here yet?

"The new album from Aled Jones.
    Accompanied by his younger self.
    And featuring for the first time ever,
    his son Aled Jones Junior."

With various stages of Aled playing in the background.
    It was on every ten minutes on LBC last night.
    Really cringe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

Really cringe.

My wordy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

"Black Friday cray-cray"

Fcuk off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cbreeze

The ad for Dogs Trust with the old man thinking about leaving something to help dogs in his will. Groan!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Obviously that ad for Michael Bubbles as he is appalling.

Is it me or has the flu-vaccine campaign ended early? Usually its endless as well as relentless but I can't recall hearing it for a few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Really cringe.

I remember that irritating little w*anker from the 1980's. Sadly, age has not dimished him and now your saying there is a little jonesy to add to the mix. I always considered him the Welsh Daniel O'Donnel (different music genres I know).

I suppose it will be endless "were walking on the air...." all the way to xmas and beyond, god help us all. Come mid-december even goat from bothar won't seem so bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭Comhrá

dogmatix wrote: »
    I remember that irritating little w*anker from the 1980's. Sadly, age has not dimished him and now your saying there is a little jonesy to add to the mix. I always considered him the Welsh Daniel O'Donnel (different music genres I know).

I suppose it will be endless "were walking on the air...." all the way to xmas and beyond, god help us all. Come mid-december even goat from bothar won't seem so bad.

:eek::eek::eek:...don't even mention him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

There's a new Laya Health ad but with them jumping around in cold water instead of rolling down a hill. Even more annoying than the last one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭NASlad

Lets hope we never have to hear the gaiety THEATOR advertisement ever again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Current annoyances:

i) "Brian" celebrating getting some certification or other from the NSAI with limp 'whooping'. At least the actor has the decency to sound embarrassed

ii) "Hyundai, Discover Why". What a beautiful rhyming couplet. Reminds me of this:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Anyone hear the latest National Symphony Orchestra advert?

The one that doesn't seem to fit in with the demographic of folk who would pay to listen to the NSO.

Guy trying to be cool, saying "Boom".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

"Great" coffee from a petrol station sung to Santa clause is coming to town.

NIMAN wrote: »

The one that doesn't seem to fit in with the demographic of folk who would pay to listen to the NSO.

RTE would like to sincerely thank you for paying for the facility to let hundreds of middle-class w4nkers to listen to high-brow music at your expense.
    This has been a public service announcement.

Poncey Brent Pope and his Popey shoes - Jeez cant listen to him !

NIMAN wrote: »

He actually sounds like he’s taking the p155. Awful ad.

Anyone hear that one flogging electrical appliances, where the guy says “you must think we’re gone al Black Friday* craycray”. I feel the rage inside me every time I hear it.

* Black Friday is not a name that makes me want to go shopping. It puts me in mind of Bloody Friday in 1972, when the IRA murdered nine people in Belfast with car bombs and injured scores more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I will never tire of saying this: FCUK YOU CURLY PIECES!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,974 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

The sponsorship jingle announcer on Spin SW has one of the most irritating accents I've come across.

Apparently the term for the speech pattern is vocal fry but it sounds like someone with a poster of Kim Kardashian on their wall who "acquired" the accent in the space of 30 seconds while watching E!.

Also, leaving out the "and" from between the words "hundred" and "thirty" in the following phrase just sounds wrong. "Insurance for one hundred thirty thousand women in Ireland."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

The Laya ad with the woman huffing and puffing, I thought she was in labour.

madmaggie wrote: »
    The Laya ad with the woman huffing and puffing, I thought she was in labour.

Aural advertisers need to be careful with their sound effects, as something can easily sound like group sex.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    Aural advertisers need to be careful with their sound effects, as something can easily sound like group sex.

I read this in Alan Partridges voice. Real nice :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Under the weather.ie?

Who thought up such a stupid name.

patronising tools.

Fck right off!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭woejus

As if the bastardisations of the English language from AIB ("we're backing brave") and Aer Lingus ("smart flies Aer Lingus") weren't bad enough, now we have

FFS!

Makes my head hurt :mad:
    fricatus wrote: »
    I heard that yesterday all right. I think a little sick came up.

Just on this subject again, I saw a promotional tweet from Eir the other day, with the hashtag #BringGreatTogether. I think some more sick came up that time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

What's with all this constant rebranding sh!te?

Got used to Telecom Eireann back in the day, then it was Eircom....and now it's the nonsensical 'Eir'.

What next? Call it 'E'?

woejus wrote: »

I can understand how this might work with an internet streaming radio service but how would it work with an ordinary "real world" radio? The website does not indicate how the technology works at all. If it is viable i'd be very interested - espcially as I heard goat from bothar on RTE morning ireland for the first time this xmas.

• Advertisement

Would m'lady care to dance?

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Would m'lady care to dance?

Hate, hate, hate and I can't understand how they can afford the level of advertising on radio - says something about the price of vintage jewellery.

Del.Monte wrote:
    Hate, hate, hate and I can't understand how they can afford the level of advertising on radio - says something about the price of vintage jewellery.

The ad for Appleby jewellers ends with something like, "make this a Christmas to remember for someone".
    That someone, I think, is the salesperson who'll be enjoying the commission.

The ad for Appleby jewellers ends with something like, "make this a Christmas to remember for someone".
    That someone, I think, is the salesperson who'll be enjoying the commission.

Now that's a f*ckin dreadful effort.

Egg and spoon race Sue Brady; Three legged race Sue Brady.....really how many Irish schools even have these sort of Sports Days?

Tom Dunne narrated ad for Dublin City.
    So heavily biased in enforcing the perception that Ireland is within the M50 it caused me to exclaim "What The F*ck"
    Talks about "Go to town (i.e. Dublin)" like all the other cities and towns in the country don't exist.
    All of that is fine if funded by Dublin traders or council but, it finishes with; "Transport for Ireland! Connecting people all over Dublin".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Egg and spoon race Sue Brady; Three legged race Sue Brady.....really how many Irish schools even have these sort of Sports Days?

Worst part of that ad for me anyway is the kid say “lap of honour” in the most mid-Atlantic D4 Dorsh accent heard outside of a Ross O’Carroll-Kelly play.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Worst part of that ad for me anyway is the kid say “lap of honour” in the most mid-Atlantic D4 Dorsh accent heard outside of a Ross O’Carroll-Kelly play.

I hate that kid with the fury of a thousand suns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭plodder

'tis my doo-ty to take over my grand-uncle's farm ....

I love that ad more, every time I hear it. :)

It’s a strange one – he sounds normal and then the whole voice and tone changes suddenly, like he has suddenly been stabbed. I keep having an image on him standing on a cold and windy school sports pitch when suddenly a huge ex-con appears behind him and stabs him in the back with a homemade shiv saying “I told you I’d find ya and make you pay…”

Actually if they added that in to the ad it would perk it up no end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭davef1000

What's up with a bunch of different car manufacturers saying "This is a genuine offer" in their ads?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement