Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Mary & Aine are back with a new Ad!

Thank God.

I was worried about them. Bit of backstory development this time. Looking forward to the next instalment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,558 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

new Eircode ad where the son rings 911 for ambulance because his mother had a fall and he calls in and finds her on the floor ...... he doesn't know his mother's address but he knows her Eircode! As if!
    Ah now, it was there beside the phone ;)

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Ah now, it was there beside the phone ;)

I know but its still a stretch ;) - most of us don't know our Eircodes let alone keep them beside the phone (most of us don't have phones on the hall table anymore either) ................and surely the son would know her address :confused:

the ad just struck me as odd!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭plodder

Smorter living with Electric Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

new Eircode ad where the son rings 911 for ambulance because his mother had a fall and he calls in and finds her on the floor ...... he doesn't know his mother's address but he knows her Eircode! As if!

To be fair, she could live in the arse-end of nowhere where houses just have names like "Bog House, Bog Road, Connemara, Co. Galway," for example.

• Advertisement

To be fair, she could live in the arse-end of nowhere where houses just have names like "Bog House, Bog Road, Connemara, Co. Galway," for example.

:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,779 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

She'll be well dead by the time an ambulance arrives from America.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Once again there's an ad with someone doing an impression of a french accent. Whyyyy??!! Dont know what its for...maybe one of the ferry companies I think? Cant stand it. Just get a french person to read the script instead of doing a sh*t accent. one of my bugbears.

It's for Air France. Mind you she is not as bad as the gobsh*te who was putting on the worst fake "allo-allo" french accent heard on radio for years before xmas, also for Air France.

I wonder why Air France would allow this - I could not imagine Bord Failte running an ad campaign in the US with an american actor doing a voiceover in really bad stage "oirish" (i'm thinking of you Tom Cruise!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Not to stray the topic off too much but I'm working with Ambulance call centre staff and they've told me that the Eircodes have made significant inroads into Ambulance response times. The sad fact is that yes there is a good chance the ambulance you call is not coming from a local base so having a definite fix on the location of the emergency is crucial. Guess how many "Dublin Roads" there are in the country? Or how many housing estates have extended themselves without renumbering the houses into sequence? Please look up your eircode and keep it safe. It could save life or limb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,947 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

flazio wrote: »
    Not to stray the topic off too much but I'm working with Ambulance call centre staff and they've told me that the Eircodes have made significant inroads into Ambulance response times. The sad fact is that yes there is a good chance the ambulance you call is not coming from a local base so having a definite fix on the location of the emergency is crucial. Guess how many "Dublin Roads" there are in the country? Or how many housing estates have extended themselves without renumbering the houses into sequence? Please look up your eircode and keep it safe. It could save life or limb.

My beef with the Eircode is its random nature. Most other postcoding systems have a geographic or some other logic to them, so that a partial code certainly helps to get you into the right area, if you're rushing to save life and limb.
    The Eircode system was deliberately designed to be obscure so that An Post could sell data to companies.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Advertisement

Joe Dolan's car has broken down again.
    Maybe we should have a whip-round and buy him a new banger, because I'm utterly sick of hearing about his perennial breakdowns.

That moronic irishjobs ad is now on every single ad break on RTE - it beggers belief that some idiot in an ad agency drew up that script and actually imagined it was funny and smart. And the other idiots in irishjobs who heard it and said - "yeah, thats great - run it for our new year ad campaign".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,753 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Are men being portrayed as complete tools on ads now

“ I think we need to break up……………”

Pussywhipped voice”But I just got your name tattooed ……”

“With our caaaaaaaawr insurance……”

There’s another one about double glazed windows in which the man sounds challenged.

Is this a trend,or a sinister movement..

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

There were about 5 different versions of this ad last year. A conversation where it looks like a breakup but turns out to be about getting a new insurer or bin removal company or car wash or whatever. Painful stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

There’s another one about double glazed windows in which the man sounds challenged.

I hate that Ad with a passion. It also show the woman is telling porkies i.e "I think we need to break up" whereas she has already done it without telling her wimpy partner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

An attempt at being overly sexy are these Hyundai ads. I can't stand how everything is over exaggerated to sound alluring and sensual

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Mary & Aine are back with a new Ad!

Yeah the introduction of back story is very strange.

I'm assuming this is an attempt by the company to make people realise that it's not just aul nattering biddys that buy their windows. She mentioned her and liam are going out 15 years and hasn't popped the question. For the majority of people, this would make the biddys in their mid to late thirties. ( I'm well aware that you can marry at any age young and old, but I'm talking in the majority

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

was there not some advertising regulation brought in last year to stop this nonsense?

was there not some advertising regulation brought in last year to stop this nonsense?

I will make enquiries from an informed source.

I hate that Ad with a passion. It also show the woman is telling porkies i.e "I think we need to break up" whereas she has already done it without telling her wimpy partner.

Forker deserves it, what a sleazy wimp.

Insurance guy is probably stemming her!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    My beef with the Eircode is its random nature. Most other postcoding systems have a geographic or some other logic to them, so that a partial code certainly helps to get you into the right area, if you're rushing to save life and limb.
    The Eircode system was deliberately designed to be obscure so that An Post could sell data to companies.

They are not random. For instance if you are in Co Longford your Eircode prefix will be N39. That is not hard to learn. But it is as useful or as useless as knowing that if a USA code begins with 1 it will be East Coast, with 9 West Coast. Or an Australian one beginning with 3 is Victoria, 4 is Queensland. By their nature codes need technology to render them into something useful.

The UK has a system which has prefixes linked to city names. But again what use is it knowing that a code beginning BT is an address somewhere in Northern Ireland? I don't know of any other countries with the same system. It can lead to confusion.

Where did you get that information about An Post?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Where did you get that information about An Post?

Oh jaysus don't start another eircode bashing discussion here of all places.... if you use it, use it. If you don, don't.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

plodder wrote: »
    Smorter living with Electric Ireland.

I'm fairly sure this is Andrew Scott.

It annoys me because I can't help but associate his voice with the psychopaths he tends to play (sorry, Andrew!) and the classical piece in the background screams MORIARTY at me.

891702-high_res-sherlock.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The 'Henry Ford once said' Ads - not even remotely clever the first time -
    are sometimes repeated twice in the same Ad break on Newstalk. Absolutely cringeworthy stuff.

Was it something about Jews??

What's the story with yer one on the ad for turning on your heating when you're out? Y'know, she's at her kid's match, and she's freezing?

She has a perfectly normal accent, but then turns on the Miriam O'Callaghan overdrive for the words "phone" and "home". Very disconcerting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Radio5

Layla Health Care. Looking. After. You. Always.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    What's the story with yer one on the ad for turning on your heating when you're out? Y'know, she's at her kid's match, and she's freezing?

She has a perfectly normal accent, but then turns on the Miriam O'Callaghan overdrive for the words "phone" and "home". Very disconcerting

I will evaluate your observation next time I hear it Donie.

Well spotted my friend, we need the little gems you unearthed there highlighted.

Top marks.

Not to mention that every time I hear it I think she calls it "High Vap" :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Radio5 wrote: »
    Layla Health Care. Looking. After. You. Always.

It's actually Laya Health care. The first letters of the slogan words spell Laya. See?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

It's actually Laya Health care. The first letters of the slogan words spell Laya. See?

Unabomber:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭GBX

The Voltoral ad - the one with the announcer calling "Sue Brady" who has won everything at the sports day. Then the annoying voice on the kid at the end.

"You can't even measure power in Megahertz."

Well, that's true.
    I suspect that's not what they were getting at, though.
    I'm wondering if the copywriter of such drivel actually makes a subtle point with that.
    "Help, I'm stranded in this office surrounded by morons."

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

GBX wrote: »
    The Voltoral ad - the one with the announcer calling "Sue Brady" who has won everything at the sports day. Then the annoying voice on the kid at the end.

Ah yes, the 'lap of honor' kid. He must be the most hated person in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

The one with Mammy charging the chislers €10 for a lift home is kinda funny, particularly the deadpan 'WHAT' from the young fella when charged for his bag.

ArthurG wrote: »
    The one with Mammy charging the chislers €10 for a lift home is kinda funny, particularly the deadpan 'WHAT' from the young fella when charged for his bag.
    Quite funny, but I thought they could have done more with the idea. Might work better on TV though.

• Advertisement

plodder wrote: »
    Quite funny, but I thought they could have done more with the idea. Might work better on TV though.

Thought the same. When she offers him a snack, she should tell him to look at the range of delicious drinks and snacks in the in-drive magazine, located in the seat pocket in front of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Whatever the spelling, it's still a lame ad.

Think it's ironic that the Health slot on Newstalk (hosted by a former doctor and blasts the HSE and the trolley crisis) is sponsored by one of these parasitical health insurance companies that take advantage of our train-wreck health service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

I'm sure it has to be already mentioned in this thread somewhere but the ad for the Phoenix 'newspaper' on 4fm is bizarre and torturous.

Thought the same. When she offers him a snack, she should tell him to look at the range of delicious drinks and snacks in the in-drive magazine, located in the seat pocket in front of him.

Except that Ryanair (at whom I'm sure that ad is aiming a dig) doesn't have seat pockets..... (can't do a wink as I'm on the phone)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

My god that ad with "Brian" who was feeling down and decided to "lay off the pints" is the most patronising load of bullsh1t that I have ever heard in my life.

• Advertisement

My god that ad with "Brian" who was feeling down and decided to "lay off the pints" is the most patronising load of bullsh1t that I have ever heard in my life.

Dreadful stuff. Are two voices done by the same fella? I hate that ad.

jca wrote: »
    Dreadful stuff. Are two voices done by the same fella? I hate that ad.

Aye it's not great - the message is admirable but not the delivery. It sounds really stilted and unnatural.

It reminds me of the Alan Partridge audiobook version of "We need to talk about Alan". A peice where Alan is reading a made up quote from his ex-wife Carol where she apparently apologises for being such a sh*t to him. "Thanks Carol, appreciate that" says Alan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

^^^ Dreadful Ad. but in terms of patronising "so you've made it through the recession" is head and shoulders above the rest. Makes me want to scream or order a hit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

^^^ Dreadful Ad. but in terms of patronising "so you've made it through the recession" is head and shoulders above the rest. Makes me want to scream or order a hit.

It's the little pause between the "So...you've made it throught the recession" that gets me everytime!

Very stilted and totally unrealistic.

or after paying his ten euro he tries to get into the car, and she says "sorry, priority passengers first". After a couple of seconds she says "ok, you can get in now" He gets in then, and she says "No, you can't sit there beside Johnny. That'd be another ten euro to sit together. And don't sit at the window. Exit seat are more again." :D

Can someone please make that power breakfast ad stop, it's driving me nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

"When we breathalyze why do we tell lies......."

I thought I had heard the back of this one but Mario Rosenstock just added new dates to his tour. Feck sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,779 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Elton John gig being advertised already.
    It's on in June 2019!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

I'd love if they did an update to that simpleton "Paul who is laying off the pints" commercial.
    Randomer: "Oh high Paul, how are you. The last time I was talking to you, you were back running again and laying off the pints. And you weren't under as much pressure in work. How are things now?"
    Paul: "Well, I got rightly p1ssed off with that sack of sh1t boss of mine in work, so I packed in the job and laid him out with a box. I've stopped running because let's be honest running is a pain in the h0le. And now that I've finished in work I have the whole day for pinting with the lads. Now why don't you f**k off and mind your own business"

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement