Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The eggs ad - its the way the way fella says "Wednesdays" like a kiddie fiddler.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

mike65 wrote: »
    The eggs ad - its the way the way fella says "Wednesdays" like a kiddie fiddler.

Mike.

I never noticed this! I was probably too busy banging my head off a wall because the ad is so pointless and stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Oh my God..

.. TEXT.. EXPRESS!

I thought they reserved these tacky jingles to local radio.. but obviously not!

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

11850. Hate them. "I'm working out" Is it Jason Byrne? Hopefully it is cos I'm leaving the country if there's 2 men with a voice as annoying as his. And Deirdre O'Kane still makes me wanna go 10 miles out of my way to avoid Costcutter.
    And that American accent on the 2fm ads for each of the shows (nine-ee to nine-ee too too fm).
    Halifax ads crack me up but I'm easily amused at the best of times. Ooh, speaking of, the slimfast "now I'm ready to be a bridemaid!" is pure genius!

"I'm Barbara Lyons and I lost a baby elephant's worth of weight on the Slim Fast plan. And now I'm ready to be a bridesmaid...!"

The accent cracks me up every time! :D

I don't know why Sky thought that getting the actor in their ad to say 'eh' every second word was going to make it seem less like an actor.

'It's eh eh fool eh eh eh eh proof eh eh eh eh eh eh eh eh eh eh eh.'

Shut up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭long_b

It was asked before ages ago, but does anyone know who sings the 11811 jingle ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

smaoifs wrote: »
    And Deirdre O'Kane still makes me wanna go 10 miles out of my way to avoid Costcutter

Its giving me subliminal messages to set fire to Costcutter stores

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

"Hi. I'm barbera Lyons and I'm the 1st Slim fast Star winner.... Now I can be a Bridesmaid"

What an annoying ad.

I know this chick. She's my next door neighbor.

The "Lunch Crew" on Today Fm were ripping the piss out of this ad.

She's a sound woman but what a terrible ad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

jor el wrote: »
    I honestly don't get the point of this ad. Normally there's some method to the madness in ads, but this one is just bizarre. From what I can gather, it's 24euro a month extra for all the bits they're advertising. Where the 20+4 bit comes from is lost to me. It would work just as well if they said 17+7 or 1+23, it's not like it's 20 for one thing and 4 for another, it's just 24. There's no breaking it up to give some meaning. Totally fcuked up advertising at it's most fcuked up..

I was going to post up about this ad and searched in case it was here already. The point is that it's €20 a month but the extra €4 gets you the phone etc. But I have to say it is easily the most convoluted, poorly layered, disturbing and wretched ad that I have heard on the radio in a hell of a long time.

It is so bad that it actually makes me want to put a black dish on my wall beside my RAC covered car on my way from anywhere but Costcutters, where I did NOT spend my bank holiday weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Anyone hear the vintner's federation one trying to drum up business in the pub trade? Caught it today; terribly twee and patronising...not a patch on those ads for Dublin pubs that were about last year, most of which I found very well done and sometimes even funny...this campaign however is just awful, making reference to people being depressed through drinking at home or somesuch. It's enough to drive you to drink...

Fago_25 wrote: »
    "Hi. I'm barbera Lyons and I'm the 1st Slim fast Star winner.... Now I can be a Bridesmaid"

What an annoying ad.

I know this chick. She's my next door neighbor.

The "Lunch Crew" on Today Fm were ripping the piss out of this ad.

She's a sound woman but what a terrible ad.

That was the funniest bit of last week! I need to get out more :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Wertz wrote: »
    Anyone hear the vintner's federation one trying to drum up business in the pub trade? Caught it today; terribly twee and patronising...not a patch on those ads for Dublin pubs that were about last year, most of which I found very well done and sometimes even funny...this campaign however is just awful, making reference to people being depressed through drinking at home or somesuch. It's enough to drive you to drink...

I kind of like this one actually, a tongue in cheek ballad style song about boozing in a country town. Although it does basically say that its depressing to drink at home and amazing to drink at the pub, I suppose their might be some truth in it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

OK, I've heard this new EBS mortgage ad a few times now, and I wasn't sure if I was hearing it properly until now. There's a kid shouting to the mother in the bathroom, wanting to get in. Then, the mother answers back from inside the bathroom, but it's a man's voice :confused: This is just fcuking stupid. Did they run out of actors or what?

Yeah, heard that ad just there too.

May have misheard it but what I think they're trying to put across (but FAIL miserably) is that the kid is shouting at his mother (who is elsewhere in the house) that he needs to get in the bathroom, but his father is in there. So his father pipes up from the bathroom.

Confusing to say the least though alright!

• Advertisement

But the voice from the bathroom definitely says "Go ask your father", so it's not the father. Stupid ad.

The Paddy Power "Adopt a footballer" ads are class. Poor little Christiano has worked so hard, was bought by a cruel boss, and is tormented by others :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

That ad is the pits, is it supposed to be funny or serious? I honestly can't tell. That and the 20 + 4 ad, for Chorus and NTL I think, are the worst ads on radio at the minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

Have ye heard the new ad for GDA-the guidline daily allowances for fats, sugar and salt in food. The MOST irritating smug D4 accent I have EVER heard! Where do they get these girls from. It's not even English that they speak. NONE of them can pronounce ANY of their vowels properly. O is EUW, R is ORE. Aghhhhhh.

The EBS bathroom ad is just as irritating. No I am NOT going to borrow another 100k so that we can have another bathroom!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭sham08

That Kenco add where the extremely iritating mother rings ups to talk to her son who mixed up some bloody coffee beans is incredibly annoying and I have only heard it twice, it seems like it is a series of adds too :mad: the way she laughs when talking to the sons boss just makes you wanna pull out the shotgun and go after her:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

sham08 wrote: »
    That Kenco add where the extremely iritating mother rings ups to talk to her son QUOTE]

It's his aunt :D Brutal ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭sham08

It's his aunt :D Brutal ad.
    Shows how much I paid attention to it :D

Lizzykins wrote: »
    Have ye heard the new ad for GDA-the guidline daily allowances for fats, sugar and salt in food. The MOST irritating smug D4 accent I have EVER heard! Where do they get these girls from. It's not even English that they speak. NONE of them can pronounce ANY of their vowels properly. O is EUW, R is ORE. Aghhhhhh.

lol is that the one with the brother and sister? Talking about "balanced doy-its"...the brother pipes up "Balanced doy-it? Wot's that?"...

*shakes head in wonderment*

OMG! Loike soo annoying?

[edit] AXA ad with the two muppets mentioned above, something about no-one claiming their thousand euro today....die by drowning in a septic tank the pair of you...

sham08 wrote: »
    That Kenco add where the extremely iritating mother rings ups to talk to her son who mixed up some bloody coffee beans is incredibly annoying and I have only heard it twice, it seems like it is a series of adds too :mad: the way she laughs when talking to the sons boss just makes you wanna pull out the shotgun and go after her:rolleyes:
    I was about to say that one.

I'll also add the Tuc one to the list, the one which goes in reverse but basically says "you ate my parents' favourite biccies, I hate you, we're not getting married." So annoying!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

jor el wrote: »
    The Paddy Power "Adopt a footballer" ads are class. Poor little Christiano has worked so hard, was bought by a cruel boss, and is tormented by others :D
    Yes this ad is class, it has the unique distinction among radio ads of actually making me laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

+1 for or rather against Kenko. Sales must be declining, how could the agency think that would enhance the product?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

The poxy ads that persil have on atm where the's a kid singing "Everybody was kung fu fighting" or "like a rind stone cowboy". Fùcking hell they're really irritating!!! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    The poxy ads that persil have on atm where the's a kid singing "Everybody was kung fu fighting" or "like a rind stone cowboy". Fùcking hell they're really irritating!!! :mad:

any ad with a kid in it is really irritating

OMG! Loike soo annoying?

Speaking of Loike. The new PTSB ads, finally got rid of the mobster but replaced him with a female Ross O'Carroll-Kelly, talking about all sorts of crap and her poownee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Has anyone heard that new Vintners Federation ad?...the one with a black American soul singer cringing on about how boring it is to stay at home and how much more 'craic' we could have if we went out?

Just how desperate are publicans getting these days? Not only does the ad promote drinking, but you could imagine the faces in the studio in downtown LA when they got the copy from the agency...."Man...Irish pubs need to advertise on the radio? Now that's some messed up sh*t....let's go, take 1...."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Snark

maybe the vintners federation are putting in an early strike for eurosong 2009?

The Paddy Power "Adopt a footballer" ads are class. Poor little Christiano has worked so hard, was bought by a cruel boss, and is tormented by others
    grenache wrote: »
    Yes this ad is class, it has the unique distinction among radio ads of actually making me laugh.

So, so funny. "We're just having a laugh"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

There is a meteor ad on at the moment with lots of people saying "Hello", "Hi", "Howya", etc. Thats annoying enough, but right in the middle of the ad, a girl goes "Yo Yo Who's That?".

Thats a D4 girl down with her homies. Word. Roysh.

I think she's having an affair.
    With who?
    Coark!!!!!!

Learn to talk, idiot. And tell your one on the Axa ad to learn how to say euro while you're at it. Sounds more like eewuro when she says it.

Mr E wrote: »
    There is a meteor ad on at the moment with lots of people saying "Hello", "Hi", "Howya", etc. Thats annoying enough, but right in the middle of the ad, a girl goes "Yo Yo Who's That?".

Thats a D4 girl down with her homies. Word. Roysh.

I hate hate hate that ad. It reminds me of the ad on Ryanair flights for the call card they sell.

Man I have far too much in common with you people....that bloody meteor ad: Hi hiya Hoy howya hi hello? hey hi!... it shouldn't annoy me but it does, I don't even know why, since I can't pick one thing about it per se, but it's just a head wreck. MrE made a nice call on that one girl in the middle...have to keep an ear open for her...

Oh yeah caught some feministic version of the vintner's federatrion Save Our Pubs ad....some bint blowing on about dumping her b/f and then getting together with her coven to get wasted and eat pringles and some truism about weight gain...almost makes the blues one dublinwriter mentioned above seem bearable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Tallspoon

Jonstone Mooney & Obrien
    "Live life...love our toastie!!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 garbanz0

There seems to be a rash of adverts on radio with bad grammar, as if the fact that it irritates you must drive home the name of the product mentioned. (example of bad grammar intentional)

I despise them, so much so that I can't even remember which ads I mean. Can anyone else think of a few?

On second thoughts, don't remind me!

Tallspoon wrote: »
    Jonstone Mooney & Obrien

What's with Mooney suddenly getting a sex change over the last few years, is it just PC crap or what? The packaging in the mid 90s always had three men on it.

• Advertisement

Tallspoon wrote: »
    Jonstone Mooney & Obrien

2FM should sue for plagiarism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

2FM should sue for plagiarism.

Considering that 2FM's "People" seemingly came up with their effort while staring vacantly at a Pepsi logo while loitering in McDonalds, I think they'd be on shaky ground.

Today's hatred : Man confiding to 'mate' that his wife is having an affair with the entire population of the largest county in Ireland. Possibly.

I think its for a festival or a restaurant or some jam or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

What about the one for AIB where the guy is at Moscow airport and hails a taxi to take him to the Hotel and after 2 seconds they are at the hotel and the Russian taxi man asks for "Fiftee dollar........american"

Then the guy asks whether the fare is so high because of his luggage, to which yer man goes "luggage - what luggage?"

This is a bit worse than unfunny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I only heard the VFI ad for the 1st time today. It has a boyband singing "lets take some crack" or somesuch. It was so appalling I thought it was a Camembert Quartet wind up.

"We're goin' out tonight and we're gonna have the cra-aic"

Yup, loads of craic in an empty pub...have fun with that...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

The insurance ad with "Kate and Gerry".

Ou est Maddie?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭Kila

Loved the old LVA ads, the one with the guy. The girl one (about breakups) is just annoying, but some of the ones with the guy voiceover are really well done.
    http://www.lva.ie/page.php?intPageID=560

Also, I kinda like some (not all) of the lotto ads. There's just something about the voices that gets me :)

Robbo wrote: »
    The insurance ad with "Kate and Gerry".

And strangely, Gerry has now become Garry. Methinks there's trouble in the Axa Drive Team. Perhaps Gerry's advances on Kate landed him in front of an employment tribunal for sexual harassment, or some such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Or Kate is a slapper, and is alternating between Gerry and Gary.
    Gerry has a personality, but Gary can satisfy her in a way that Gerry can't.

Damn mind working overtime today.... I blame Friday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Cunning

that one for eircom phone watch with this absolute knob jockey saying

"basically roight, lets face it, theese days a mans best friend... is his 42 inch plasma screen tv,"..................."you'd loike to think its safe when your not around and well loike basically eircom phone watch makes me feel that way"

i will throttle that guy or the guy who made that ad, or the guy who wrote it etc etc etc. drives me nuttsss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

The two annoying ones for me at the moment are the Bud Light ones with yer wan saying "baybeee" to her boyfriend. It makes me want to bounce her head off the nearest concrete wall. Also the Eircom Phonewatch one with the guy (who sounds uncannily like Conor Lenihan) who says he's with them because: 'they're big, they're powerful so they must be good'. Ffs, I'm getting pissed off now just thinking of it! :mad:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement