Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭holly8

No, actually , eye opening, to think there might be fcukers like that still out there.

:eek:
    Oh there is!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

Jamie Heaslip only gets involved with "bride ideas" for "LED lieding".

Newstalk run that back to back with an ad for Ross O'Carroll Kelly's Postcards From The Ledge. Ross' accent doesn't seem as ridiculous as Heaslip's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Expunge wrote: »
    Is he still the "Brand Ambassador" for Seat? Do they not want to sell cars?

He has epilepsy with active seizures hence he can't drive. How is he a brand ambassador for a car brand?

One seizure and you're off the road for 12 months.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

There's an add on Nova for a film podcast, the hook is that the two hosts are idiots. 'Do we look like we know who Chekov is?'

Is that a reason for me to listen to this show? That the hosts are thick? And is radio advertising for podcasts a new thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    There's an add on Nova for a film podcast, the hook is that the two hosts are idiots. 'Do we look like we know who Chekov is?'

Is that a reason for me to listen to this show? That the hosts are thick? And is radio advertising for podcasts a new thing?

We live in the age of stupidity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Aw man Mary from Budapest dental is back��

The first time I heard that ad, I thought it was someone putting on a silly voice.

Ex-sell-ence.

The appliances direct ad with the easter puns is eggstremely annoying (aaargghh!) and eggsasperating (grrrrr...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Mr E wrote: »

The appliances direct ad with the easter puns is eggstremely annoying (aaargghh!) and eggsasperating (grrrrr...)

I hope the texters give Dermot & Dave sh!t next week when they return. It's a bloody awful ad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

I hope the texters give Dermot & Dave sh!t next week when they return. It's a bloody awful ad.

No wonder Dan Healy didn't offer them a show on 2FM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

That guy that has the horn for the National Concert Orchestra, really gets on my wick.
    horn... orchestra... get it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

That guy that has the horn for the National Concert Orchestra, really gets on my wick.
    horn... orchestra... get it?

Eh………no !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭davef1000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I just heard the most god-awful ad ever.

Something about how you save a tenner when you go to some hotel and they decide to play on the word tenner to be tenor.

So next minute you hear helicopter sounds and the sound of some guy singing.

SO bad!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭Stargazer7

Haven't heard the Laya Health rollercoaster ad (on Today FM at least) since people on here mentioned making complaints. Looks like they got the message! :D

That ad made me so incredibly full of rage....I used to turn the radio off angrily everytime it came on! It's like an anti-ad...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,941 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

The latest lame promo from RTE;
    "Does 'clinically-proven' mean 'clinically-proven'?"

Waht?
    Err... I suppose it does, provided the person using the phrase actually possesses a miniscule amount of grey matter and isn't some oxygen-stealing media type.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

That Wiltshire Farm Foods ad with "Anna and Jimmy".

"Would you have any bread and butter pudding?. I haven't had it for yearrrrsss."

Have to remove earphones when it comes on.

****ing dreadful stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

"Would you have any bread and butter pudding?. I haven't had it for yearrrrsss."

****ing dreadful stuff.

You would swear they were providing some kind of social service, looking out for the oul' wans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

The AA dog ad doesn't really work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,043 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

dogmatix wrote: »
    That god awful AIB ad is back – the one where shell fish collectors are the “last of the hunter gatherers”. And the ad is filled with every biz speak cliché like “stay hungry”, “build the dream”, “reach for the dream or similar” – all to the back drop of an over the top ominous Michael Bay cinema score. And finishing with their ongoing mauling of the English language – “AIB – backing brave”.

The guy doing the voice-over, who I assume is meant to be the boss of the company, he says without these last of the hunter gatherers they'd have no business.

He then goes on to say they grew the business, grew it quite substantially!

If I was one of the guys doing the hunting and gathering for them, I'd be putting in for more money!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

The AA dog ad doesn't really work.

Ahh I’m kinda liking him.

It's only a small thing but the current Hot Press ad calls 'Ready Player One' 'Real Player One'. Bit careless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

****ing dreadful stuff.

I thought it was a PSA for ould codgers left on their own over winter.

Terrible terrible ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭GFish

How about these security ads - can't remember if it's public service or an insurance company:

"... when you leave your house close the doors and windows."
    Good advice - I never thought of that.

or
    "... plant thorny bushes all around your garden."
    But if I don't have a garden?

or
    ... don't forget to turn on your alarm."
    That's a great idea! Ummm - but if I remember to turn it on how will I remember the code to disarm it?

or
    "... get a dog. The bad guys really hate big loud ones."
    I don't even like small ones, never mind big loud ones.

I suspect the RSA pay for this one with taxpayer's money and I'm sure Applegreen are happy to get primetime radio advertising for the cost of a few cups of coffee.

"If you're tired pull over, sip a cup of coffee and have a short nap. That will get you another hour."

WHAT? Where is the science for that?
    And how do you nap after a cup of coffee?

Anyhow - I don't drink coffee so I'm stuffed every which way.

Who writes this PSA stuff?

More RSA good advice - This time it's for motorists:

"If you're driving in a hailstorm, slow down without braking and turn on your hazard lights to warn other motorists."

Hmm, maybe that is good advice because the other motorists might not have noticed the hailstones.

I take back my "Worst radio ads" nomination.
    I'd like to change my nomination to "Best radio ads".

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

I think the hazards are to warn drivers that you're slowing down, because your brake lights won't be showing in that instance

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

GFish wrote: »
    I suspect the RSA pay for this one with taxpayer's money and I'm sure Applegreen are happy to get primetime radio advertising for the cost of a few cups of coffee.

"If you're tired pull over, sip a cup of coffee and have a short nap. That will get you another hour."

WHAT? Where is the science for that?
    And how do you nap after a cup of coffee?

Anyhow - I don't drink coffee so I'm stuffed every which way.

Who writes this PSA stuff?
    I think this has come up in this thread before as I seem to remember someone else taking issue with napping after coffee.

Caffeine doesn't kick in for a while after taking it, so you can have a coffee and nap no problem if you're tired. The caffeine will probably wake you after 40 minutes or so depending on your metabolism etc.

It's a useful tip if you find yourself in the middle of a long trip and feeling tired.

I think this has come up in this thread before as I seem to remember someone else taking issue with napping after coffee.

Caffeine doesn't kick in for a while after taking it, so you can have a coffee and nap no problem if you're tired. The caffeine will probably wake you after 40 minutes or so depending on your metabolism etc.

It's a useful tip if you find yourself in the middle of a long trip and feeling tired.

Taking a nap in a motorway rest stop is all well and good, and definitely beneficial towards the general safety level of society.
    Until some interfering arsehole of a copper or security fool comes along and rattles on your window, waking you up.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    Taking a nap in a motorway rest stop is all well and good, and definitely beneficial towards the general safety level of society.
    Until some interfering arsehole of a copper or security fool comes along and rattles on your window, waking you up.

That's definitely not beneficial overall. But does that actually happen?

I've only slept on a motorway rest stop once and was left well alone for it but do the authorities generally bang on windows if someone is clearly taking a rest?

I've only slept on a motorway rest stop once and was left well alone for it but do the authorities generally bang on windows if someone is clearly taking a rest?

Absolutely never. Most people take naps on motorway service stations , not in the city Centre. You could sleep all day and nobody will bother you. In fact there are special areas in most motorway stations to park up & take a break .

YOU IN THE BLUE HOODIE YOU ARE TRESPASSING ON PRIVATE PROPERTY LEAVE THIS AREA IMMEEEEDIATELY.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

YOU IN THE BLUE HOODIE YOU ARE TRESPASSING ON PRIVATE PROPERTY LEAVE THIS AREA IMMEEEEDIATELY.

And they have the cheek to say that they are helping to create a crime free environment when in reality they are helping scumbags by warning them off before the Gardai show up.

Brings me back to 2007 that one:rolleyes:

It happened to me twice. Both occasions were in the N.W. of England, so maybe the coppers there are particularly arseholish.

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    It happened to me twice. Both occasions were in the N.W. of England, so maybe the coppers there are particularly arseholish.
    Could be that their road safety mandate is different.

Dogging is a very popular past-time in that part of England (according to academic research I have conducted) so maybe they were checking up on that? :D

Del.Monte wrote: »
    And they have the cheek to say that they are helping to create a crime free environment when in reality they are helping scumbags by warning them off before the Gardai show up.

I can imagine a scummer flicking the bird at the cctv to some rent-a-cop in a remote office somewhere...hardly a deterrent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

This isn't radio related, but has anyone else heard that guy with the horrible D4 accent doing the recent Spotify ads?

Could be that their road safety mandate is different.

Dogging is a very popular past-time in that part of England (according to academic research I have conducted) so maybe they were checking up on that? :D

Huller!!

‘Past-time’......da fuhrrk!!

Not like you man.

Appliances Delivered with the guy with the Marty Whelan style schtick.

This Jack Potts Bingo ad. Where the guy says 'I never saw myself doing standup' or 'I never saw myself as a soap opera villain'. Am I meant to know who this guy is?

• Advertisement

Appliances Delivered with the guy with the Marty Whelan style schtick.

Close, it's Dermot Whelan, or, as I call him, Malcolm in the Middle (Age)

5gaNk3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

Birneybau wrote: »

5gaNk3

Is it Dermot?

Is it Dermot?

100%

Birneybau wrote: »

5gaNk3

Still a chronically unfunny ad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

not really an ad but the promo segway for Kia motors into to the sports on morning ireland, Baile Atha Kia how fcuking tacky and ****e. Also the weather about 2 minutes before is sponsored by Hyundai so not great advertising for either

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

Has nobody mentioned Kate Appleby's shoe ad?? Christ the smugness off it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

NufcNavan wrote: »
    This isn't radio related, but has anyone else heard that guy with the horrible D4 accent doing the recent Spotify ads?

This the same guy that sounds as if he's got a stuffed/blocked nose?? Very annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭plodder

neris wrote: »
    not really an ad but the promo segway for Kia motors into to the sports on morning ireland, Baile Atha Kia how fcuking tacky and ****e.
    Was going to comment on that one too. Puns are the lowest form of wit. Who would make such an ad? It just exudes cheap and tacky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Meanwhile, in Wexford the sports news is sponsored by Loch Garmin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

That tired old trope “the gameshow setup” is on again. A poster on this thread a while back commented on this lazy type of radio ad, and over the last week or so Opel cars have decided to try their hand at one.

Same old checklist:
    1. A Cretinous host with a fake us accent.
    2. A dim witted contestant – until she is asked a question about the <insert product name here>.
    3. Quiz host expresses surprise at her right answer etc, etc, etc...

This is always a sign that the advertising company is really scraping the bottom of the barrel – do they not have anyone with even a little modicum of imagination and creativity in their ranks?

It was only a few years ago that Opel where clinging to the coat tails of such companies like Audi by having ads with German electropop synth music and a bloke with a dodgy teutonic accent mouthing some Germanic slogan in a desperate attempt to convince us that Opel where just like Audi – but cheaper. I suppose it was never really going to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    This the same guy that sounds as if he's got a stuffed/blocked nose?? Very annoying.

That's the guy. He's on almost every Spotify ad now. Horrible voice.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement