Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Okay its not quite radio ad related, but on passing the AIB shop-thingy in Dundrum town centre the other day, I noticed that AIB are now also backing Belief. So that’s Brave and Belief so far. So keeping with the B's, I propose that the AIB start backing Bullsh*t next, because they have been full of it for over 30 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭plodder

"My Gary has been in an accident!"

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

The girl for the Ryanair ads I think she also is on the Dunnes Stores ads, I find her voice really annoying. Also the ad for some pop up tent company at the moment is really annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,822 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

plodder wrote: »

Embarrassing ad.

Complete crud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Radio5

The ad which seems to be running again about helping people understand the HSE and it's services. (Yvonne from Fair Cirty does the voiceover)

Pretty brutal timing considering the well remunerated CEO doesn't seem to know how and when the HSE works /fails to work.

• Advertisement

Embarrassing ad.

Complete crud.

Aye – that ad fit’s into the “customers are moron’s – but we as a company just take it in our stride” category. VW have been running these type of ad’s for many years now.

Bord Gais’s latest effort – “so… going anywhere nice on your holidays” – repeated 3 times with what sounds like a hoover working away in the background. I mean what the hell does it mean? Sounds like they have transferred a telly ad direct to radio with no context at all (I have no access to RTE / Irish tv at all). Perhaps we are supposed to know the story if we had seen the telly? All accompanied by that irritating bloke who also used to do the Rabobank ads. Bord gais – annoying the f*ck out of radio listeners for 5 or more years now (and counting).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Hairdresser I'd say. Standard small talk. Not the worst ad in the world.

Did I hear an ad for Jobbio this morning looking for an MS SGL person?
    A q and a g can look very similar in lower case. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,071 ✭✭✭✭neris

Heard one today for the referendum commission. Basically telling people to think of their arrangements for getting to a polling station. Are you going to walk drive get the bus? Who's looking after the kids? Are the kids going along. Real bottom of the barrel guff

Oh also laya with some bloke who sounds like he's drowning in freezing cold sea water telling us how great life is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭anewme

neris wrote: »
    Heard one today for the referendum commission. Basically telling people to think of their arrangements for getting to a polling station. Are you going to walk drive get the bus? Who's looking after the kids? Are the kids going along. Real bottom of the barrel guff

I heard that this morning on the way into work and could not believe it.

Treating people as if they are complete imbeciles who don't know how to get to a polling station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,822 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

anewme wrote: »

Treating people as if they are complete imbeciles who don't know how to get to a polling station.

You’d be surprised...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

plodder wrote: »

Mute instantly :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭anewme

You’d be surprised...........

Anyone who needs that ad is not capable of having the cop on to vote

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,753 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Anyone who needs that ad is not capable of having the cop on to vote
    Most of the electorate then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,069 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

"Oi don't know what a tracker mortgage / heat pump is."
    <smashes radio out of window>
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Sting:

"My crappo show is now booking at the Bord Gash"..... shudder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

The general public are remarkably stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭tommytee

and Meadows and Byrne, :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Someone just shoot me now please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Gamers might appreciate this.

There is an ad for some financial service where they say something like "some financial offers are like this" (followed by the sound of the 1972 game Pong), "while ours are more like THIS" (sound of the 1998 game Rogue Squadron?)

So instead of being 46 years behind the curve, you're only 20 years behind? Good job. Slow clap. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,713 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Mr E wrote: »
    Gamers might appreciate this.

There is an ad for some financial service where they say something like "some financial offers are like this" (followed by the sound of the 1972 game Pong), "while ours are more like THIS" (sound of the 1998 game Rogue Squadron?)

So instead of being 46 years behind the curve, you're only 20 years behind? Good job. Slow clap. :o

I had that exact thought!

Although to me it sounded like Super Star Wars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

There's a real high budget, brilliantly written, classy ad for school books:rolleyes:

Hey teacher, all our books are under 20 quid !

Yeah, how much is this one ?

Less than 20 quid.

Wow, you're great at maths.

Unbelievable dross.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The new Barnardos ad (hear it om classic hits) is very very powerful.

Childrens voices whispering throughout, little girl whispering 'help me,
    im over here'

Best radio ad I have heard in a long time.

Im not a big fan of Barnardos (or Fergus Finlay) for various reasons, but the ad is
    really moving.

It's as if someone put it together after watching The Sixth Sense or such like.

ad on last while for the red cross looking for people to house Syrians, sorry do gooders in the red cross but we have our Irish born & bred homeless that we have to look after 1st, you bleeding hard pc do gooders do realise we have a housing crisis of our own to look after 1st

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

ad on last while for the red cross looking for people to house Syrians, sorry do gooders in the red cross but we have our Irish born & bred homeless that we have to look after 1st, you bleeding hard pc do gooders do realise we have a housing crisis of our own to look after 1st

<Gets popcorn...>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Thinking the same myself. Enniscorthy is a town chock full of empty properties and yet there's virtual nothing to rent - no matter what the price. May be they will be given out to Syrians?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭QueensGael

"and and and, and there will be cake"

I think it's for Renault :rolleyes:

QueensGael wrote: »

Marie Antoinette's Clio?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

QueensGael wrote: »

It's 'like' our birthday?...who on earth are they trying to appeal to. Did tbey decide to focus on selling to vacuous idiots? So bad

• Advertisement

"If you're living in a period house..."

Yah; my Georgian mansion in the county is just so draughty, I have to throw two servants on the fire of an evening.

Honestly, who thinks up this tosh?

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    "If you're living in a period house..."

Yah; my Georgian mansion in the county is just so draughty, I have to throw two servants on the fire of an evening.

Honestly, who thinks up this tosh?

...it's a dickens to heat... this ad is so bad is good!

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

You should DEFINITELY ring your ex at 4 in the morning...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭plodder

Who's got clever home insurance?

Great ad. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vd8xDV8BcN0

Haven't seen it on TV. It's almost better on radio.

What's with the sudden breathless sound at the very start of the Hyundai Ad - or is it just my defective hearing?

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

Ha ha
    New Renault ad.
    Fella rings in.
    "Hello, I believe you are 120 years old"
    Receptionist replies.
    "How dare you, I'm not even 50"
    Fella says.
    "No, I mean Renault is 120 years old"
    Receptionist says
    "Oh, I'm sorry"
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha
    The guys who write these ads are wasted in this business.
    They would surely win global awards writing comedy series.
    Larry David should be in contact soon...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭holly8

RINO87 wrote: »
    Whats the story with two different insurance companies running the exact same ad?? One is definitely the AA the other is 123.ie I think.

It goes along the lines of "the first thing your toddler learns to flush down the toilet is your keys". The scripts is the exact same in both, the only difference being the VO guy, and the company being advertised, obviously. Both finish with "your keys taking a tour of your pipes".

Someone stole someone else's homework and it made it all the way!!!

that ad drives me crazy ... how would a heavy set of keys "take a tour of your pipes"??? put them in the toilet & flush ... keys sink

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

That's the point isn't it?

The keys would sink, and would be washed away down the pipes when the toilet's flushed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

cdeb wrote: »
    That's the point isn't it?

The keys would sink, and would be washed away down the pipes when the toilet's flushed.

No, the point is that they wouldn’t. The toilet has a U-bend and the keys would remain at the bottom of it when the toilet is flushed. It would take a lot of water moving fast to pick up keys and lift them over the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

fricatus wrote: »
    No, the point is that they wouldn’t. The toilet has a U-bend and the keys would remain at the bottom of it when the toilet is flushed. It would take a lot of water moving fast to pick up keys and lift them over the top.

Which some flushes are capable of producing. I've seen phones (admittedly, the small pre-smartphone Nokia types) and glasses getting flushed past the bend. No reason at all that a small set of keys with a couple of relatively buoyant components wouldn't follow the same pattern.

On a relatively rare positive note, I like that AA home insurance ad with the dog 'head of security'.

• Advertisement

On a relatively rare positive note, I like that AA home insurance ad with the dog 'head of security'.

Especially the wistful reference to postmen and having a nose for bacon. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭jones 19

Not sure he sounds a bit like Tommy mc canery to me,

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,753 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Not really the ads themselves but I've noticed that the vast majority of advertisers on Today FM seemed to have missed the memo that they're targeting the yoof. Some 80s love pop musical, all the granddad rock bands etc. It's more like advertising you'd expect on Q102 and Nova.

Not really the ads themselves but I've noticed that the vast majority of advertisers on Today FM seemed to have missed the memo that they're targeting the yoof. Some 80s love pop musical, all the granddad rock bands etc. It's more like advertising you'd expect on Q102 and Nova.

I dunno. I was in a bar today and some young one was talking about a playlist that she'd put together for the aftermath of a charity run, and it was all 'Don't Stop Believing' and 'Eye of the Tiger'. Stuff that was out before she was born, but obviously of some pop cultural relevance.

Even saw another one shaking his hips to the Spin Doctors...

That's starting to become known as the spotify effect and it can only be a good thing. Because of the way music is listened to by younger people in their teens and twenties, on the likes of youtube/vevo/spotify etc, they have a greater exposure to older music when they come up as similar music suggestions when they listen to their modern squeaky dross.

Same goes for those who are into slightly left field music too, so a lot of the actual proper musicians from days of yore are getting exposure.

Sure even I have started listening to 60s bands having been firmly rooted in mostly 80s-00s music most of my life.

All the same, I can't see them sticking out an exposition of 80s love/power balads, which are being advertised on Today FM atm. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

Anyone hear the trade in car ad with “my Gary “? Jesus it’s annoying

jk23 wrote: »
    Anyone hear the trade in car ad with “my Gary “? Jesus it’s annoying

No, but I heard the execrable Dacia ad.

"Dacia load of bullocks, dacia is."
    <kicks tranny out of window>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Finbar Furey adverts.....how often are they on RTE Radio 1!!

He'll have no profit from the gig at this rate, all his money out on advertising.

Driving this morning, I heard it twice in 2mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Ha ha
    New Renault ad.
    Fella rings in.
    "Hello, I believe you are 120 years old"
    Receptionist replies.
    "How dare you, I'm not even 50"
    Fella says.
    "No, I mean Renault is 120 years old"
    Receptionist says
    "Oh, I'm sorry"
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha
    The guys who write these ads are wasted in this business.
    They would surely win global awards writing comedy series.
    Larry David should be in contact soon...

Came here to post that, it's terrible!

The other one that's grinding my gears is the one where the (clever) woman tells the (stupid) man "WE SHOULD BREAK UP!" And he's like what?! From our insurance company stooopid...

I'm not actually sure what the ad is for, I always flick it off.

Men, you're all so stupid.

The new emasculated wimp/man but I just had your name tattooed on my arse. Teeth grinding stuff.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement