Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

I would rather listen to a live cat stuck inside a washing machine than to the Quote Devils insurance ads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

Is Mr Appliances delivered grinding anybody's gears?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Is Mr Appliances delivered grinding anybody's gears?

Little bastard sounds like he's still in short pants and I hate the Ads and will never, ever buy anything from Buy + Sell/Appliances Delivered.

Only surpassed in awfulness by the current Ad - is it for Renault? - which mentions cupcakes in the boot and then reprises it at the end of the Ad as it is so utterly hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Meadows and Byrnes are back with another seasonal earf**k. I especially hate the bit with the bird - Bird: "tweet, tweet", Women : "and that was a real tweet...".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Drink miiiiiiiilk, drink miiiiiiiiiilk! :pac:

There's been a lot of ads on both TV & radio about milk lately. The rise of Almond/Coconut milk etc must have the milk industry pretty shook.

There were heaps of Dairy Council ads back in the day when there was no such thing as almond 'milk'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

Busy bee, I will not be booking a Maldron hotel soon

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Heard a rare one this evening, an ad for a comedian that wasn't completely awful, although it was Jimmy Carr doing one-liners instead of the usual punchline of a rambling story taken out of context.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,941 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

I hear Joe Dolan's finally got his car fixed.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Hey Liam Neeson - what's "wodder"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

dogmatix wrote: »
    Meadows and Byrnes are back with another seasonal earf**k. I especially hate the bit with the bird - Bird: "tweet, tweet", Women : "and that was a real tweet...".

and....and...and....and...and...and f**k off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

There were heaps of Dairy Council ads back in the day when there was no such thing as almond 'milk'.

how do you milk an almond? at least greg focker had an example of milking his sisters cat

Mail minder from An Post.

The two of them going on Holiday and her nagging the ear off him.

"Did you leave the hall light on"
    "Err ..."
    "Argh John, I told to ... !

He'll need another Holiday when he comes home after spending a full week with her!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Orlaith Rafter seems to have adopted this higher pitched, girlier voice for the Therapie ads. Is it to try and fool people into thinking it's not her? She does so many ads I wouldn't be surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

salonfire wrote: »
    "Did you leave the hall light on"
    "Err ..."
    "Argh John, I told to ... !

Makes me think of “John... did ya put the cat out?”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭plodder

What do people think of the "Don't be Dick" campaign against disposable coffee cups? I saw it first on the side of a bus, and thought - calling people a dick might not be the best way to change behaviour, but then I heard the radio ad, and thought okay there is some context there. I still find the whole thing a bit hectoring though.

There's a page on Dublin City Council's site which describes the use of disposable cups as "careless actions". Again, it leaves me thinking - if we thought it was okay yesterday, how can it be suddenly be "careless" today? Surely, you have to educate people first, and only call them a dick some time later, for not listening :)

Doubtless, they want people talking about it yada yada, and that's fine too.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

In one of the ads the guy is called a dick for not wanting to take someones reusable cup on a coffee run. He's offered to go for coffee and he's the bad guy now? If his colleague was so concerend with rubbish she could have gone herself.

I do think they're good ads though. But that scenario is bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,043 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I honestly think Michael Buble will just about break even from the Croke Park gig due to his advertising costs.

Adverts for his show have been on near repeat for the last 3 months. I hear it about 15 times a day at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Specsavers seem to have cut the budget for radio ads.

Two on these days.
    Sand wedge-sandwich,
    Gym equipment-gin distilling equipment.

Appalling adverts. Written by a 14 year old, voiced up by hams and recorded in a shed on a 2nd hand Zoom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »
    Specsavers seem to have cut the budget for radio ads.

Two on these days.
    Sand wedge-sandwich,
    Gym equipment-gin distilling equipment.

Appalling adverts. Written by a 14 year old, voiced up by hams and recorded in a shed on a 2nd hand Zoom.

According to you who's main goal is for one of the Specsaver people to read your post and be highly offended.

NOT GOING TO HAPPEN..............

As I've learned since I've joined Boards.ie

BOARDS.IE: People destroy Ray D'Arcys radio and TV show his numbers climb

BOARDS.IE: People destroy Breakfast Republic and their numbers climb.

BOARDS.IE: People destroy Ferghal D'Arcy and his numbers break records.

BOARDS.IE: People rave about Anton Savage and his show gets axed.

BOARDS.IE: People rave about Ed Smith and he never makes it past sidekick/producer/graveyard shift/fill in dj

Basically BOARDS.IE regular posters are in the minority bitter spiteful people who are not a true representation of the majority of Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,941 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Basically BOARDS.IE regular posters are in the minority bitter spiteful people who are not a true representation of the majority of Ireland.

Watch that door; terrible strong spring on it.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

Well, that was difficult.:rolleyes:

The Cork aimed My Taxi ads holy sweet mother of Devine Jesus Mary and Joseph.

What the actual ****!!!!
    Myself and a work colleague 100% thought it was a piss take about a taxi driver taking you the long way round and screwing you but it's an actual advertisment for My Taxi!!!

I don't think I've been this annoyed in a very long time it's atrocious and the passenger doesn't even talk back.
    The Great Cork Simon Supper!!!!!

Jesus Christ I know it's for a good cause but I hope everyone volunteered their services in that ad because if someone got paid it's blatant robbery.

I want to pour acid in my ears.
    I just heard an ad with some really unnatural heavy breathing and baby sounds.

It was really uncomfortable to listen to.
    I want to say it was for three but I can't be 100%.
    I despise the Greyhound racing ads.
    It's childish tactics taking the píss out of alternative social nights out to push a gateway to a possible gambling addiction which could destroy numerous families.

"There's a reason why Irish people choose Greyhound racing"
    Yes because deep down in our genetics we're a nation of compulsive gamblers with addictive personalities who don't need much encouragement.

So I'll take my game of Monopoly and a Puzzle Room any day thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭rodders999

The elephant self storage ad where the guy talks down his nose saying nought nought nought nought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

rodders999 wrote: »
    The elephant self storage ad where the guy talks down his nose saying nought nought nought nought.

Stay out of the Square in Tallaght for a while! They play that as every few songs in there. Source: frequent visitor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »
    Well, that was difficult.:rolleyes:

Anyone heard any radio ads for job vacancies because with that much time on your hands you could certainly do with one.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Mod: Ok lads, quit the sniping and get back on topic please.

• Advertisement

That KFC advert which sounds like it was recorded in a bathroom by an English female chav, arrrgggghh!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Radio5

I heard a Back to School ad on Saturday. Think it was for a well known Irish book & stationary shop...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,751 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Radio5 wrote: »
    I heard a Back to School ad on Saturday. Think it was for a well known Irish book & stationary shop...

Place should be shut down.

Shouty, political type Ad for motorway service area or fuel company? Most have seemed hilariously funny to the teenager that dreamed it up. :mad:

suster na grainya...or whatever you call the poncey place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

oi, Supervalu - take your sh1t ad and get "out-out" please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Just heard a sugary sweetie ad for house insurance complete with squeaky child.. Dreadful stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,271 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

jca wrote: »
    Just heard a sugary sweetie ad for house insurance complete with squeaky child.. Dreadful stuff.

I think i just heard it, an ad for AXA home insurance where a fella rings up the insurance company telling the lady on the phone that a tree has crashed through the roof of their house.

A child then tells her Dad that there is also a birds next with baby birds in it and they need to be careful.

Who the fcuk writes these things?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

BPKS wrote: »
    I think i just heard it, an ad for AXA home insurance where a fella rings up the insurance company telling the lady on the phone that a tree has crashed through the roof of their house.

A child then tells her Dad that there is also a birds next with baby birds in it and they need to be careful.

Who the fcuk writes these things?

Yep, that's it!! Jesus, it's on there now.... My ears are bleeding...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

According to you who's main goal is for one of the Specsaver people to read your post and be highly offended.

NOT GOING TO HAPPEN..............

As I've learned since I've joined Boards.ie

BOARDS.IE: People destroy Ray D'Arcys radio and TV show his numbers climb

BOARDS.IE: People destroy Breakfast Republic and their numbers climb.

BOARDS.IE: People destroy Ferghal D'Arcy and his numbers break records.

BOARDS.IE: People rave about Anton Savage and his show gets axed.

BOARDS.IE: People rave about Ed Smith and he never makes it past sidekick/producer/graveyard shift/fill in dj

Interesting. There was a Skoda Ireland ad on last year with a kid whose Dad worked in the Dealership. I can't remember the jist of it but the kid had a strong accent.

On Boards, there were a load of people saying it was horrible, lots of hate towards the Dad and the kid, sales will crash, people will not buy a Skoda etc.

Read something then that 2017 turned out to be a record year for Skoda. Seeing your post here just reminded me of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

The way he says 'and no stupid ones' just screams he's been burnt by silly terms & conditions before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

So Áine and Mary with their fancy Energlaze glass aren't a couple after all......

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    So Áine and Mary with their fancy Energlaze glass aren't a couple after all......

it's really hard to know as the Ads are out of sequence - there was a positively orgasmic one with just the two of them a while back but now hubbies are being mentioned again - I think they may be part of a commune. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Please tell me Wicked is going to be on (and over) soon.

I cannot STAND that awful atonal hit that they play on the ad with the pathetic "flyyyyyy" at the end of it :mad:

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

Golden opportunity missed I reckon.

They could've developed the 'are they, aren't they' story for months giving tiny hints here and there. Then, ending the campaign with " Oh Mary, your bush is so cosy ".

• Advertisement

The Coppers The Musical new ad is worse than the older one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,751 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

The Coppers The Musical new ad is worse than the older one

I’d suggest the ‘show’ is even worse still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Are there more lyrics to the songs in the stage show that just repeating the name of the club over and over as the ad seems to suggest? :confused:

As a non-Dub I just do not get the fascination with this club at all. I was there once and it looked like any other place except more expensive and full of tourists.

I think he has a cousin with an auctioneering business in Galway... Just heard an ad on Newstalk for an auction he is having in the Harbour Hotel. Very much in the same ilk as Elephant Self Storage.

Very plummy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Radio5

Harbour Hotel? Does it really exist- Wasn't that the name of the RTE Radio soap many many years ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Harbour Hotel? Does it really exist- Wasn't that the name of the RTE Radio soap many many years ago?

It's on the docks in Galway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

That’s right (showing my age). It used to be on before the 1 o’clock news on Radio 1. It ran until about 1985 or 86 IIRC.

fricatus wrote: »
    That’s right (showing my age). It used to be on before the 1 o’clock news on Radio 1. It ran until about 1985 or 86 IIRC.

I think it ran a little later than that, I knew some one who was in it in 89 or 90.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It is still a fairly common hotel name and used to be way more common, hence the name. Radio version of using Springfield as the town name in the Simpsons.

The one in Galway is the one from that ad but any vaguely large seaside town may still have one and probably did have one in the 70s. Naas has one - canal habour - so its not even just a coastal thing.

Ran 75-90 according to the RTE Archives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Some car ad with this wan "when I drive my kids to school I'm thinking of their future"...yeah your turning into lazy fat little basterds....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement