Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Speedsie wrote: »
    I think he has a cousin with an auctioneering business in Galway... Just heard an ad on Newstalk for an auction he is having in the Harbour Hotel. Very much in the same ilk as Elephant Self Storage.

Very plummy.

Heard the ad again, is for O’Donnellan & Joyce’s auctioneers in Galway. Very reminiscent of Elephant Self storage guy. But he doesn't say 'naught'.

Some car ad with this wan "when I drive my kids to school I'm thinking of their future"...yeah your turning into lazy fat little basterds....

.....in her droning monotone voice , makes me depressed that ad :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Eir - "Let's make possible"

Let's make what possible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I want to break up.

With our car insurer.. ..

FÛCK OFF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I want to break up.

With our car insurer.. ..

FÛCK OFF

There's so much wrong with the Ad apart from the wimpy male who has just had his partners name tattooed on his arse. She says 'I think we should break up' whereas she has already gone and done it by signing them up.. cringeworthy stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,822 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Del.Monte wrote: »
    There's so much wrong with the Ad apart from the wimpy male who has just had his partners name tattooed on his arse. She says 'I think we should break up' whereas she has already gone and done it by signing them up.. cringeworthy stuff.

Plus one million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭plodder

What about the breathless ad for home insurance, where Dad calls in the middle of the night after a tree falls on the house, with the call centre operator who pretends they care (but is really thinking - big claim on the way here), and the kid in the background "birds are people too". What is that even about ....? Actually, no I don't want to know ....

plodder wrote: »
    What about the breathless ad for home insurance, where Dad calls in the middle of the night after a tree falls on the house, with the call centre operator who pretends they care (but is really thinking - big claim on the way here), and the kid in the background "birds are people too". What is that even about ....? Actually, no I don't want to know ....

Even worse is the O,Meara tent add with the useless wimp ringing up to say there’s no poles ! The saying something like “so there’s no need to worry ?” in the most pathetic whingy voice ever! Then saying “thank you OMeara tents”.
    If he was my husband I know what I’d need the poles for ......and it wouldnt be for sticking up a tent !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

OI!!! Van owners!!!

It's that bloody wan off 2fm breakfast doing that ad isn't it? Can't stand any of the 3 on that show.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Murdoc90

"Is everyone alright?" She asks, "No, my wife has been impaled by a branch but I thought I'd give ye a bell first before calling the ambulance"

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

There's an article on the Irish Times website today (I can't find it now naturally) about Irish radio advertising that gives this ad a long write-up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,511 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    There's an article on the Irish Times website today (I can't find it now naturally) about Irish radio advertising that gives this ad a long write-up.

Is this what passes for news in the Newspaper of Record these days?

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/ridiculous-premise-clunky-dialogue-overwrought-music-it-must-be-an-irish-radio-ad-1.3567717

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

And she has the neck to fill her column with the type of conversation you'll overhear in any coffeeshop on any morning....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Bord Bia pork ad is getting on my tits. Featuring an ‘expert” who comes up with fabulous pork recipes in some sort of quiz show but all he seems to do is add pork to the suggested ingredient:

‘orange!’.....’pork with orange’
    ‘Prunes!’.......’pork with prunes’

All to the screams of an over excited ‘audience’

Fack off.

Better than the usual advertorial type tripe that fills most of the paper. The end for the Irish Times began when they moved birth/marriages and deaths from the back page. You heard it here first. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭plodder

Murdoc90 wrote: »
    "Is everyone alright?" She asks, "No, my wife has been impaled by a branch but I thought I'd give ye a bell first before calling the ambulance"
    I remember hearing that Dublin Fire Brigade sends you a bill if you call them out. It's expected that your insurance will pay it. So, maybe he's just making sure they'll pay the callout charge. :pac:

That's not likely really in all seriousness, but there is a tendency with some types of insurance, especially medical claims on travel insurance, where they can get shirty if you don't call the "help" line first. The function of the help line, being to minimise the cost of the claim to the insurer, as much as providing actual help.

You: A tree has just fallen on our house!

Call centre: Sure, it's probably only a few branches. Probably sounded worse than it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

That new Abrakebabra ad is driving me demented. It’s on again as I type least it will do my diet some benefit as I won’t be visiting there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,069 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

ArthurG wrote: »

Fack off.

With pork?
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

So those ads for painkillers, the ones that start with "If you could hear pain, it would sound like this" and then play some horrible irritating screeching and blaring noises... they are trying to give you a headache, right? So that you will buy their painkillers, right?

Surely that should be illegal? It would be like a mechanic going around and messing with peoples engines so they have to go to a mechanic.

I don't know how many might remember this post from last year, or even care, but I did eventually make a complaint to the ASAI about this ad (I had stopped hearing it for a while over Xmas, until about April when it seemed to be back everywhere, so that's when I made the complaint).

They took a while to get back to me (see attached), but they reviewed it under the possibility of it being offensive. They said as only one other complaint was made against the ad, they couldn't call it offensive.

I just thought this might be interesting for here as it seems to show that if enough people are annoyed by a sufficiently offensive ad, and they actually make a complaint about it, something might end up being done against it.

Sadly not, as the ASAI is a self regulating industry body that appears to be something official whereas it is not and they have no intention of annoying their members by asking them to remove Ads. I tried with the awful ball gag Ad for Laundrie.ie several times before realising that they are only a sham front.

• Advertisement

I am against censorship just to satisfy people who do not like particular advertisements. I am also against online campaigns trying to drum up support for such censorship.

If enough people (and two is not enough) are sufficiently motivated to complain about an ad, then they can make up their own minds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭prunudo

Heard an ad on Newstalk earlier for a new airline, Guitar Airways, not sure where they're based though!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Perfectly reasonable letter alright. Two complaints in twelve months is clearly not grounds for any sort of action. Ditto Del.Monte being a bit prudish is no reason to take action against the laundry ad. I think sometimes people can over-value their own views unfortunately.

I am against censorship just to satisfy people who do not like particular advertisements. I am also against online campaigns trying to drum up support for such censorship.

If enough people (and two is not enough) are sufficiently motivated to complain about an ad, then they can make up their own minds.

Is it plain censorship though, in the case of the Panadol ad?

I can accept the reasoning that only 2 complaints were made in 12 months and that is not enough for the ASAI to act. But this is not one of those ads, like the "I think we should break up-But I just got your name tattooed on my..." ads, which are just offensively stupid. I'd love if they were all fired out of a cannon into the sun, but I'm not going to make any official complaint against them just for being stupid.
    I do, however, genuinely believe that the Panadol ad was designed to give people headaches in order to sell headache pills. I believe it is extremely distracting when it comes on the radio and that it is damaging and I think we put up with enough offensively stupid ads and don't see why people should put up with ads that try to hurt you in order to sell you a cure.

I don't think you have any evidence of that whatsoever though.

I know I've never remotely gotten a headache from a radio ad. I would say a 15-second noise exposure is highly unlikely to have any noticeable effect. And the company would probably close down if such a scam ever came out; it's a daft risk to push a couple more tablets.

Yes, big pharma is evil, yadda yadda yadda, but I don't think that excuses excessive leaps of the imagination

cdeb wrote: »
    Perfectly reasonable letter alright. Two complaints in twelve months is clearly not grounds for any sort of action. Ditto Del.Monte being a bit prudish is no reason to take action against the laundry ad. I think sometimes people can over-value their own views unfortunately.

I'm not remotely prudish I assure you but I don't like everything being crudely sexualised especially when the Ad in question was being broadcast throughout the day. Perhaps to millennials the ball gag Ad seems hilarious but to anybody with half a brain.....Anyway, my point about the ASAI remains and I wouldn't believe anything from them and I seem to remember that they quoted the one complaint thing to me too. Smacks of a 'cockroach' letter.

I'm not remotely prudish I assure you but I don't like everything being crudely sexualised especially when the Ad in question was being broadcast throughout the day. Perhaps to millennials the ball gag Ad seems hilarious but to anybody with half a brain.....Anyway, my point about the ASAI remains and I wouldn't believe anything from them and I seem to remember that they quoted the one complaint thing to me too. Smacks of a 'cockroach' letter.

Despite your opinion of them, the ASAI do uphold numerous complaints about advertisements.

https://www.asai.ie/bulletin/18-2/

especially when the Ad in question was being broadcast throughout the day.
    Sounds rather prudish to me.

Regardless, the ASAI failing to uphold your complaint does not prove that they are a sham. It simply proves that not enough people shared your concern (including those in the ASAI)

Despite your opinion of them, the ASAI do uphold numerous complaints about advertisements.

https://www.asai.ie/bulletin/18-2/

They are a self regulating body and my experience has been very poor but then I must be too pridish. :rolleyes:

https://www.asai.ie/about-us/

• Advertisement

But your experience has merely been that they've refused to uphold your complaint?

Have you considered that maybe the complaint isn't valid? Or do you absolutely have to be right here?

Sounds rather prudish to me.

Regardless, the ASAI failing to uphold your complaint does not prove that they are a sham. It simply proves that not enough people shared your concern (including those in the ASAI)

Your understanding of prudish is obviously different to mine as I regard gross, sexual Ads that can can be heard by young ears as offensive - I'm sorry my last complaint wasn't about something really important like the number of chicken breasts in an Ad for Centra.

They are a self regulating body and my experience has been very poor but then I must be too pridish. :rolleyes:

https://www.asai.ie/about-us/

My experience in reading this thread is that a lot of contributors are very anti advertising in general, and their contributions are mean spirited and abusive is some cases. Stuff like this:

That moronic irishjobs ad is now on every single ad break on RTE - it beggers belief that some idiot in an ad agency drew up that script and actually imagined it was funny and smart. And the other idiots in irishjobs who heard it and said - "yeah, thats great - run it for our new year ad campaign"

I wouldn't look here for an unbiased view.

Your understanding of prudish is obviously different to mine as I regard gross, sexual Ads that can can be heard by young ears as offensive
    Sounds prudish to me.

"Prudish - having or revealing a tendency to be easily shocked by matters relating to sex or nudity; excessively concerned with sexual propriety"

The mere fact that there were evidently very few other complaints about the indicates that you are far more easily shocked about such suggestions, and therefore are prudish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Another Koort Me advert. This time it's a chap going on about "the Mammy."

I don't think you have any evidence of that whatsoever though.

I know I've never remotely gotten a headache from a radio ad. I would say a 15-second noise exposure is highly unlikely to have any noticeable effect. And the company would probably close down if such a scam ever came out; it's a daft risk to push a couple more tablets.

Yes, big pharma is evil, yadda yadda yadda, but I don't think that excuses excessive leaps of the imagination

Whilst you may not get headaches from 15 seconds of stereotypically headache-inducing noise, there are plenty of people, maybe like those prone to migraines, who would. There are also plenty of people addicted to over the counter painkillers who will get a twinge after hearing such shrill noises (not quite a headache, but a reminder of a headache) and would take paracetamol to "prevent" a headache.

And if you think big pharma wouldn't try convincing people they have medical conditions to sell them drugs, try looking at any American prescription drug advertising.

• Advertisement

Trying to convince someone they have a medical issue is completely different from trying to give someone a headache over the radio.

Without any sort of proof of your suggestions, they cannot in the slightest be taken seriously, and the ASAI's reply is perfectly correct in my opinion.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Trebor176 wrote: »
    Another Koort Me advert. This time it's a chap going on about "the Mammy."

Seriously, whoever thought that would make a good advert needs beating with a stocking of their own wet sh*te.....:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Radio5

The AXA ad for the house insurance. Anyone who has ever had the misfortune to ring that particular company would know the ad has zero resemblance to reality. I know there is a certain artistic licence but the reality is so different from the idealised 'we'll be extra careful of the birds' rubbish that it's not even funny. They're more likely to tell you that the presence of the birds nest renders your policy null and void as they weren't included in the proposal form that you filled.

Trying to convince someone they have a medical issue is completely different from trying to give someone a headache over the radio.

Without any sort of proof of your suggestions, they cannot in the slightest be taken seriously, and the ASAI's reply is perfectly correct in my opinion.

A headache is a medical condition, one that can be easily set off with loud noises. One way to convince someone they have a condition is to actually cause it (or at least cause the symptoms) so I don't really see the difference.

I accept that only 1 other person complained and that even they might not have complained based on the same reasoning I did, so I might be in the minority.

Here's a positive one - Spec Savers golfing ad for hearing aids. "You need a Sand Wedge ....is it lunchtime already" etc. cracks me up every time. :D

• Advertisement

Here's a positive one - Spec Savers golfing ad for hearing aids. "You need a Sand Wedge ....is it lunchtime already" etc. cracks me up every time. :D

Biggest bollox of an ad I’ve heard in yonks.

Two ‘men’s shed’ dudes shambling around the golf course.

Should have a Ping G30 sand wedge well coated with sand rammed up their hoops, might move the fcukers along.

Hat this ad soo much.

Could you imagine if the situation was reversed and the woman was made out to be a whiny wimp?

The feminazis would be out in force and the ad would be pulled.

How its it ok to poke fun at men and not women?

and im a woman btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

tadg riordan mothors and his new toyoatha veh-ih-kulls

Smug Supervalu woman who wins tickets to a GAA match while she is doing her shopping (or something like that?)
    "one minute ago I was unpacking the tinned tomatoes, next thing I've won tickets" ....in her posh D4 accent....

It just doesn't work !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Smug Supervalu woman who wins tickets to a GAA match while she is doing her shopping (or something like that?)
    "one minute ago I was unpacking the tinned tomatoes, next thing I've won tickets" ....in her posh D4 accent....

It just doesn't work !

Because we are going out out. Urgh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I was listening to the radio in the car yesterday for about an hour and heard 4 adverts for Jungle's concert in the Olympia...next Feb.

Tickets go on sale soon I think.

Now, its August 2nd.......how many more times will that advert be on Irish radio? And how much does each advert cost? Will Jungle make any money from the gig after their promoter pays for the adverts?

NIMAN wrote: »
    I was listening to the radio in the car yesterday for about an hour and heard 4 adverts for Jungle's concert in the Olympia...next Feb.

Tickets go on sale soon I think.

Now, its August 2nd.......how many more times will that advert be on Irish radio? And how much does each advert cost? Will Jungle make any money from the gig after their promoter pays for the adverts?

I would cautiously suggest that not many would give too much thought to whether they would or wouldn’t at this point in time.

That 123.ie ad with the last of the big spenders ordering sparkling water rather than tap......

Muppety, over-impressed voiceover going 'ohhhhh, get you'.

Its fizzy water FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Related - who puts marshmallows on ice cream? Ever? Seriously? Marshmallows?

Mr E wrote: »
    Related - who puts marshmallows on ice cream? Ever? Seriously? Marshmallows?

"Actually, give me the works".

Actually, like stop using actually.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement