Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

That Keith Barry ad for Abrakebabra is beyond grating. And I like the man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Smug Supervalu woman who wins tickets to a GAA match while she is doing her shopping (or something like that?)
    "one minute ago I was unpacking the tinned tomatoes, next thing I've won tickets" ....in her posh D4 accent....

It just doesn't work !

as someone who used to work in radio advertising - this is one of the most appalling scripts and styles of advert I've heard for a long time. Does nothing for the advertiser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

Does any one else think the music in that Blanchardstown Centre Ad is very Christmassy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

In terms of patronising bs the new Standard Life Ad for your '2nd life' takes some beating. Pathetic, ridiculous ****e and who ever gave it the nod must be well into their 2nd childhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

Mr E wrote: »
    Related - who puts marshmallows on ice cream? Ever? Seriously? Marshmallows?

I don't even know what ad you're talking about but marshmallows in ice cream is delicious *drool*

Can we all appreciate the koort me ad? "she'd be taller though, a bit slimmer"
    "Ah mammy, ya I'm here with the girlfriend"

It's pretty good, just wish they didn't play it so much!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 173 ✭✭Mike Hoch

Posh woman saying she got her husband tickets for the match, says they're bringing the kids, demands he therefore not refer to the ref as a you know what again.

I don't know what sport they're gone to, but I'd imagine the abuse at rugby is minimal. And these two don't sound like they'll be in the away end at Bohs vs Rovers this Friday. It just doesn't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,321 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

See Daniel O’Donnell playing in Branson, Missouri!

Not to be confused with Bronson, Missouri :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

mimimcmc wrote: »
    I don't even know what ad you're talking about but marshmallows in ice cream is delicious *drool*

Can we all appreciate the koort me ad? "she'd be taller though, a bit slimmer"
    "Ah mammy, ya I'm here with the girlfriend"

It's pretty good, just wish they didn't play it so much!!

No. We all agreed in your absence that is it utterly, utterly brutal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Chill Insurance voiceover woman, smug and grating in equal measure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

Oi, vanowners.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

not as bad as the AIG insurance woman. a voice like nails on a blackboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

not as bad as the AIG insurance woman. a voice like nails on a blackboard.
    At least she was made re-record it and lose the "twenny seven twenny seven twenny seven"

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    At least she was made re-record it and lose the "twenny seven twenny seven twenny seven"

Whenever I hear the new Ad I can hear twenny, twenny....An Ad that's right up right up there with Rory "nought, nought, nought, nought" from Elephant Self Storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

jesus my ears...just heard some ad with kids rapping about milk (i think) ...make it stop !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    jesus my ears...just heard some ad with kids rapping about milk (i think) ...make it stop !!!!

Thanks, I had successfully managed to drink the memory of that out of my head over the weekend :mad:

• Advertisement

Thanks, I had successfully managed to drink the memory of that out of my head over the weekend :mad:

"drink milk, drink milk" :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭rodders999

I would be amazed if this hasn't already been mentioned several times in the 595 odd pages so far but just in case it hasn't it's worth noting that - the weird accented nasal sounding guy who does the voiceovers for the Phoenix magazine DOES MY HEAD IN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭Comhrá

This advert for GOAL makes me cringe:

"Kathleen was 83 when she died. She looked after her family in her will. They inherited her home, money and other special possessions.
    She also did something truly amazing."

"She gave vunerable children hope, despairing mothers courage and worried fathers a new-found optimism. Kathleen did these amazing things simply by including GOAL in her will."

http://www.thejournal.ie/goal-investigation-usaid-syria-irish-charity-2741388-Apr2016/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

rodders999 wrote: »
    I would be amazed if this hasn't already been mentioned several times in the 595 odd pages so far but just in case it hasn't it's worth noting that - the weird accented nasal sounding guy who does the voiceovers for the Phoenix magazine DOES MY HEAD IN.

Anytime I hear the phoenix add, I just think gay person on steroids,....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Anyone familiar with the Three.ie festivals ad? Not sure if its played on your typical irish radio station but it is the first thing I hear when turning on the TuneIn radio app.

"lets get closer to the stage..."

"yer wanna get on me shouldahs?"

"Sorry??"

"yer wanna get on me shouldahs?"

"that's be UNREALLLLL, thanks....WOOWWWWWWW!!!"

Why did they make these actors sound like a couple of simpletons?! They sound thick AF.

If its an attempt by TuneIn to make me subscribe to the ads-free version, then they are bloody geniuses and deserve my money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭RINO87

Why are we hearing so many ads running at the moment for electric picnic even tho its been sold out for yonks?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

Will you get it right. It's "Tschill" insurance.

Just came on to post the same about her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

RINO87 wrote: »
    Why are we hearing so many ads running at the moment for electric picnic even tho its been sold out for yonks?

Cos tickets for next year will be on sale pretty much straight after it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

It's yer wan from 2FM breakfast, right? Sounds like he, anyway.

That SuperValu tickets advert does my head in, just the sound of that posh b*^ch, arrrghhhh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Radio5

Anne Doyle and Newbridge Silverware. Love it.

Radio5 wrote: »

Surely you forgot the Roll Eyes? It's quite appalling and she makes it sound as exciting as a visit to the undertakers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

There's an ad that's been on every break on Radio 1 for the last few hours for a film about a black guy who joined the KKK. According to the blurb it's "the best film this year" etc etc.
    I've listened to it nine times tonight. It sounds like a nice film........ But....... For the life of me I cannot decipher what the name of it is!!
    After all his shouty accolades about the film the voiceover guy just mumbles it's name at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,941 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

There's an ad that's been on every break on Radio 1 for the last few hours for a film about a black guy who joined the KKK. According to the blurb it's "the best film this year" etc etc.
    I've listened to it nine times tonight. It sounds like a nice film........ But....... For the life of me I cannot decipher what the name of it is!!
    After all his shouty accolades about the film the voiceover guy just mumbles it's name at the end.

I couldn't decipher it either, and had to find it on IMDB by putting in Spike Lee.
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7349662/?ref_=nm_flmg_dr_2
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    I couldn't decipher it either, and had to find it on IMDB by putting in Spike Lee.
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7349662/?ref_=nm_flmg_dr_2

Lol. Maybe they just handed him the script and he didn't know how to pronounce it so he decided to just go for the mumble instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭QueensGael

Radio5 wrote: »

I love how she says "couture" :)

aaaaaaaarrrrrrrgggghhh! Laya is back with yer wan kickboxing! Its appalling stuff.

and don't mention the "Air Fhhhraaaaaance " ad where we're flying "fa fa away" !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

We have a new candidate for the worst ad of the year. Zurich Pensions have an ad with home automation gadgets talking (including a kettle that thinks it's Mrs Doyle from Father Ted). HILARIOUS! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭LithiumKid1976

Mr E wrote: »
    We have a new candidate for the worst ad of the year. Zurich Pensions have an ad with home automation gadgets talking (including a kettle that thinks it's Mrs Doyle from Father Ted). HILARIOUS! :rolleyes:

this is amazingly bad.

i mean who the funk thought it was a good idea, and who signed off on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭tommytee

tommytee wrote: »
    LAYA HEALTHCARE :mad:
    I had to visit here and vent after hearing how annoying the laya healthcare is, and noticed the 2 posts above this are about this same crappy ad.

LAYA you have outdone yourself again. If its not some f^kwit rolling down a hill its an uber annoying breathless VO tw^t panting after her stupid boxercise class ad, this just put my blood pressure through the roof, seriously WTF is enjoyable about listening to someone about to have a coronary, is it meant to create an affinity to this brand, I now wish she would f&*k off and faint.
    Thanks LAYA, now i am not even going to waste an evening looking through your policies-this terrible ad made my mind up for me,
    I'm sticking with VHI :cool:
    ps I'm normally a relaxed disposition but after this I almost gone postal :eek:

FFS!!!!! ITS BACK
    I'm going postal :mad::mad::mad::mad:

tommytee wrote: »
    FFS!!!!! ITS BACK
    I'm going postal :mad::mad::mad::mad:

I made an official complaint to Broadcasting Authority Ireland , Laya and Newstalk last year about Laya’s ads. There was one so loud and screechy (people rolling down hills ) that I almost crashed the car trying to turn down the sound, and I mean that seriously. It came on so suddenly and sound loudly that I reacted by trying to turn it off !

I also had complaints at work with clients when that ad came on and had to constantly run over to turn the sound down. Normally I can keep background radio on and still answer phones etc. not with Laya .
    It’s a pure assault to the ears and all other senses ! If that’s how they try and attract new business it doesn’t work .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Your complaint should have been directed to the ASAI.

https://www.asai.ie/

Why bother, it's just a front for the advertising industry and despite looking like a government body is nothing more than a self-regulating nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I do agree that very few advertisements which break the rules should ever reach the airwaves on national radio. But if someone is convinced that they have a case they should certainly complain. They do rule in favour of the complainant on occasion.

https://www.asai.ie/complaints-bulletins/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

"Mickey wishes you a Happy Christmas" Tell Mickey Mouse to come back in December when its appropriate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭De Bhál

An ad that always gives me a laugh is the one where the couple are on a blind date and he compares her to his mother - "same mousy hair, but mammy would be taller and slimmer". He gets a call from said mam then and says he's 'here with the new girlfriend now'.

it's been going a while now so maybe starting to grate a bit.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

The new Dublin 30 ad - promoting lower speed limits in built-up areas - has managed to amass the largest collection of bizarrely irritating accents known to man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

ArthurG wrote: »
    That 123.ie ad with the last of the big spenders ordering sparkling water rather than tap......

Muppety, over-impressed voiceover going 'ohhhhh, get you'.

Its fizzy water FFS.

I cannot stand that ad! "Treat yourself... a bit"

Firstly, the guy is in a restaurant so he's ALREADY 'treating' himself in a better way than ordering fizzy water and, more importantly, I absolutely don't want to live in a world where sparkling water counts as a special treat. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭TedR

Air Phrance

ooh la la cest magnifique... NOT

That abomination of an effort at a French accent is like nails on a blackboard
    How did someone listen to that as it was being recorded, and go, yes, thats grand, sounds good...

Merde

• Advertisement

TedR wrote: »
    Air Phrance

ooh la la cest magnifique... NOT

That abomination of an effort at a French accent is like nails on a blackboard
    How did someone listen to that as it was being recorded, and go, yes, thats grand, sounds good...

Merde

...........flying "fa fa " away too :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭TedR

She actually gives up on the accent a few times, and then catches herself and shifts back to 'Allo 'Allo territory..
    Incredibly lazy production

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,299 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

When I told Mammy I was goin' on a blind date she said "You? Have a date?"

Ah You'd love Mammy! Shur you even look a bit like her......

FFS! How many times! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

That little typical D4 s**t teenager in the Junior Entrepreneur Programme competition ad !!

Why can't they have a country voice on it?

I posted a few months back about another air france ad, Irish people doing an unbelievably sh&t french accent...but the new one is even worse. There isn't even a word for how bad it is, sh*t doesnt do it justice... she goes cockney at one stage ffs!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement