Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    I wonder if that explains those terrible dog-sh1t adverts?

Probably. Agencies will be chasing every public/publicly funded body offering any old tosh for the next few weeks + the week after Christmas. No spare space to sell in early December though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

Mr E wrote: »
    Toyota Hybrid Ad: "I'm driving my kids to school every morning knowing that I'm making a difference to their future"
    Making them lazy and dependant? :)

Every time I hear this ad, I still think of this contribution and laugh.

I think another round of thankzzz are deserved. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

The Energia.ie radio ads, aired for the last 2 or so years, is the character in them meant to be Michael D Higgins ???

I f*cking hate those ads.

Hate them every bit as much as those new Bring epic home ads, from the cùnts who brought you Let's make possible.

Make what possible? Stealing someone else's bastardization of the language to make your sh*tty catchphrase?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,941 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

decky1 wrote: »
    Heard one a few days ago [maybe not an advert] it was telling van drivers to make sur their load was well strapped down and that nothing was loose inside the van cos mistakes like this are costly and dangerous, it really sounded stupid just no need to have this on radio, do they think van drivers do'nt know this already?

You'd be surprised how stupid some van drivers are.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

The advert for some concert with a renowned flautist - pronouced like it's a German word, ie, "flou-tist", grinds my teeth.
    FFS, it's not a bleedin' Audi, it's a flute, and flutist is perfectly fine, in fact flautist is the latecomer and is pronounced simply "flawtist".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭plodder

That Merc ad really baffles me. What about the over grown teenager, Ross O'Caroll-kelly soundalike is aspirational? 'Toadally awesome like you'...please!

You can unlock the car and other various things with your phone..Who do they think their target market Is?
    The more I hear that ad, the more I shake my head. You can pause the music with your phone? Is that legal even, never mind safe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

plodder wrote: »
    The more I hear that ad, the more I shake my head. You can pause the music with your phone? Is that legal even, never mind safe?

You can pause the music with your voice and unlock the car with your phone...Aaaaawwwwssssoooooommmeeeee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭plodder

statto25 wrote: »
    You can pause the music with your voice and unlock the car with your phone...Aaaaawwwwssssoooooommmeeeee
    You're right. It is voice control. I missed that with my general annoyance toward the ad.

I heard the flout-ist one this morning, along with an ad for the Kia Sport-aw-ge
    (long "aw" and soft "ge"). I guess they are appealing to the Hyacinth Bucket types who wouldn't dream of keeping their Sportidge in a garidge. Cars ads are so good at appealing to our inner (and outer) snobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

plodder wrote: »
    You're right. It is voice control. I missed that with my general annoyance toward the ad.

I heard the flout-ist one this morning, along with an ad for the Kia Sport-aw-ge
    (long "aw" and soft "ge"). I guess they are appealing to the Hyacinth Bucket types who wouldn't dream of keeping their Sportidge in a garidge. Cars ads are so good at appealing to our inner (and outer) snobs.

Check out the pronunciation of Flautist in dictionaries or online pronunciation guides. The first result I get on Google gives three alternatives. My Chambers Dictionary lists two. As with thousands of other words, there is more than one standard form in use.

Check out the pronunciation of Flautist in dictionaries or online pronunciation guides. The first result I get on Google gives three alternatives. My Chambers Dictionary lists two. As with thousands of other words, there is more than one standard form in use.

Yeah, dictionaries are good at that - confirming the ignorant in their ways.
    You know that's all they do, don't you? Recognise that a lot of people use words in certain ways, which is often wrong.
    The net result is we get nonsense like the above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

As well as listing alternative pronunciations, dictionaries also list alternative spellings. As you say this is simply a reflection of how English is used. Your "net" can also be nett.

In a spirit of live and let live I am happy to let people use alternative pronunciations. Either (which can be pronounced two ways) Flawtist or Floutist is fine by me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 139 ✭✭alexmalalex

toyota hybrid ad

i droooive moi three children to school....worst d4 monotone

ughhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Drifter50 wrote: »
    Yep, I`ve heard this several times lately and it makes me shout at the radio. Do they really really think we are all idiots. Why would I put something in the back that could decapitate me

It's most likely not directed at you personally. I would imagine they're trying to catch the percentage who don't tie loads down, fail to ensure trailers are securely hooked up, leave tools loise in the back. It happens all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

toyota hybrid ad

i droooive moi three children to school....worst d4 monotone

ughhhh

And the bit about only filling the car up every few weeks... that drives Mrs Fricatus cracked, and she very happily drives a Toyota hybrid herself: "Do they think we're that stupid? What if you're up and down to Dublin all the time?" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

fricatus wrote: »
    And the bit about only filling the car up every few weeks... that drives Mrs Fricatus cracked, and she very happily drives a Toyota hybrid herself: "Do they think we're that stupid? What if you're up and down to Dublin all the time?" :D

Plus the fact that by driving her three fat, pampered brats to school (instead of them walking or getting the bus) she is somehow thinking she is making a valuable positive contribution not only to their futures but to the whole future of the entire planet earth also.

I seem to remember a whole espisode of south park being devoted to smug, deluded toyota prius drivers...

dogmatix wrote: »
    Plus the fact that by driving her three fat, pampered brats to school (instead of them walking or getting the bus) she is somehow thinking she is making a valuable positive contribution not only to their futures but to the whole future of the entire planet earth also.

I seem to remember a whole espisode of south park being devoted to smug, deluded toyota prius drivers...

Also, it's not quite saving the planet, but if you let the precious little oafs walk it would help just a little bit with the school traffic, which is a bleedin nightmare for people actually trying to get to places they need to go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Toyota hybrid ad...

".. de priiiizze ol-day..":D

I'm not sure that I like the direction that this whole Wiltshire Farm Foods advertisement is going. Jimmy doesn't even realise that he's being groomed. Fast forward two years and it will be a different script.

Oul Biddy: "Oh Jimmy that was fantastic, even better than last week".
    *Jimmy pulls back the bedsheets and slowly gets out of the bed*
    Oul Biddy: "It's there on the dresser".
    Jimmy: "ehm... thanks".
    *Jimmy takes his twenty pound note from the dresser*
    Oul Biddy: "I'll see you next week, and I'll be looking for more than just the half portion. hahaha"
    *Smacks then Jimmy on the ar$e as he makes his way out the door*

"De fuel, d'tax, d'insurance.... das price of a holiday".

Could these people not get shills who at least have some basic use of the f**king language?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

.. have some basic use of d'f**king language?

Fixed your post. :)

The whiny "Whyyyy" girl in the Europecar ad is starting to grind my gears. If you know the ad, you'll know who I'm talking about.

There is also an ad for a Renault van (I think) being narrated by a french lady (while the sound of someone revving the absolute shite out of the engine plays in the background). I'm not sure if that's a dig at Renault, the French or women drivers (?), but the sound effect makes me wince.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned before, and it's not a specific ad, but that English guy that's featuring all over the place in radio ads is slowly getting on my nerves, and I'm English myself!!

He was originally confined to local ads for car dealers etc. on East Coast FM, but he seems to be everywhere these days.

There's just something about him that I dislike, probably the overdone theatrical style, I don't know.

Alun wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it's been mentioned before, and it's not a specific ad, but that English guy that's featuring all over the place in radio ads is slowly getting on my nerves, and I'm English myself!!

He was originally confined to local ads for car dealers etc. on East Coast FM, but he seems to be everywhere these days.

There's just something about him that I dislike, probably the overdone theatrical style, I don't know.

It is funny how certain voices get on my nerves. There is this bloke who does the Sunday Independent ad I cannot stand - "...the complete read". I imagine he is supposed to sound cultered but I always find him patronising and condescending. He used to do a lot of the banking ads, especially AIB from the late 1990's and on which kind of makes sense.

And I just heard the annual high blood pressure ad from bothar this morning. Goat and his friends talking about using their own s*it to fertilise the ground and such. Jesus wept - the annual nightmare begins...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

dogmatix wrote: »
    And I just heard the annual high blood pressure ad from bothar this morning. Goat and his friends talking about using their own s*it to fertilise the ground and such. Jesus wept - the annual nightmare begins...

:eek:

Not those kernts again.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭5555555555

Hyundai? Hyundai. Hyundai? Hyundai. Hyundai? Hyundai. Hyundai? Hyundai. Hyundai? Hyundai. Hyundai? Hyundai. Hyundai? Hyundai. Hyundai? Hyundai.

Hyundai.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

...Hodor? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

There's a desperate ad on at the moment for a new sandwich in O'Brien's -the "Cubano".

It's bad enough listening to some of these ads if you're pedantic about the English language, but I also speak Spanish, and this just grates on me. The guy puts on this accent to say "Hola Cubano" but says it like "Ol-la Kew-ban-no" :eek: which would have him put straight back into the Remedial class if he was doing Spanish in school. I didn't know someone could make so many pronunciation mistakes in only two words! :rolleyes:

There's a desperate ad on at the moment for a new sandwich in O'Brien's -the "Cubano".

It's bad enough listening to some of these ads if you're pedantic about the English language, but I also speak Spanish, and this just grates on me. The guy puts on this accent to say "Hola Cubano" but says it like "Ol-la Kew-ban-no" :eek: which would have him put straight back into the Remedial class if he was doing Spanish in school. I didn't know someone could make so many pronunciation mistakes in only two words! :rolleyes:

Ah yes – O’Briens sandwich bars with their “handcut/handcrafted sandwiches” - handcut? how else would they be cutting them and why is that somehow worth advertising? And of course their “gourmet coffee”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Similar to one ad about some guy talking to a work colleague in Madrid, who happens to have a Mexican or South American accent. Just like anyone else in Madrid :rolleyes:

The accent sounds more authentically Cuban than a f*ckin roast pork and ham sandwich.

I was there for 3 weeks fairly recently. Never in that time in any house, hotel, cafe or even guide book did I ever come across a sandwich that was anything like what's described in that ad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Murdoc90

Has anyone heard the fantasy lights ad? Whats with the creepy "Yeaaah" right at the end?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Barry's "tea" ad is back

Barna77 wrote: »
    Barry's "tea" ad is back

Who are you, Rip vanWinkle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

The worst ad on at the moment is for Dacia Duster. At the start sounds like the guy is having a peddle n crank, then goes on about, the kind of car you'd swipe right on, the kind you'd do the dirt with.

Sounds like a right old sleaze.

Dirty aul fella in a Dacia Duster - yuk!

anewme wrote: »
    The worst ad on at the moment is for Dacia Duster. At the start sounds like the guy is having a peddle n crank, then goes on about, the kind of car you'd swipe right on, the kind you'd do the dirt with.

I noticed in one ad they've started pronouncing it the same way their customers would.

(Didn’t mean to “like” your post :D)

I actually like this ad , he doesn’t sound sleazy . It’s like the Bradys Irish ham ad , maybe it’s the same guy ?
    And maybe I like it cos I drive a Dacia !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭5555555555

Barna77 wrote: »
    Barry's "tea" ad is back

That ad goes on forever .

It's excruciating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

The Laya Health ads are back for another round of fun and screaming. Wonderful. Although this one isn't as bad as the tumbling down the hill or kickboxing ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Irishdaywalker

There is an ad on the radio promotion some hotel & spa . . . And it is a complete copy and paste job from the "barry's tea" christmas ad!

5555555555 wrote: »
    That ad goes on forever .

It's excruciating.

Is that the ad where everything is repeated twice - "kid: look what santy brought..." Adult: look what santy brought...". Kind of gets on my nerve after repeated listenings. Mind you there are worse xmas ads out there....

• Advertisement

And the Opel 120 year birthday ad - the one with the moron in the van somehow thinking he and the boss are going to some birthday party is starting to annoy.

BUT - for a bit of balance... the "produced in ireland" ad makes me smile every time I hear it. The one about BallyKiltyFeely sausages. Now that is a clever little bit of humour and it gets the message across in a straight forward fashion also. Kudos to the ad agency for that one.

My favourite all time xmas ad has to be the Andrews Liver Salts ad from the 1990's - Bloke in a strong dublin accent singing about the virtues of Andrews Liver salts to the tune of a 1920's jazz song: "was it the chilly, after the cha-cha, is 'dat why yer tummy is suddenly 'atcha, wha?".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

The McCauley chemist chain.

"The Giftmas Season..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,134 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

Alun wrote: »

Brian De Salvo perhaps.

https://ie.linkedin.com/in/brian-de-salvo-a7031818

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

(Didn’t mean to “like” your post :D)

I actually like this ad , he doesn’t sound sleazy . It’s like the Bradys Irish ham ad , maybe it’s the same guy ?
    And maybe I like it cos I drive a Dacia !

Ahhh stop! Im in knots here.

He sounds like he is literally jerking off........I think he is a dirty sod. I always talk to that ad when it comes on the radio...I tell it to f the f off.

I knew I had another one I hated.

the Boots "she's my Mum" now has a singing version with an Irish Accent on the radio with different lyrics.

Hateful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Trebor176

It's that time of year again folks! Goat is back. Well, on 4FM at least.

"De fuel, d'tax, d'insurance.... das price of a holiday".

Could these people not get shills who at least have some basic use of the f**king language?

Why the fcuk would they when half the kernts in the country don’t have basic use of the language.

Fcuking ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

A Dacia Duster (stupid name) would be the most unlikely thing to admire, let alone crack one off over.

• Advertisement

The McCauley chemist chain.

"The Giftmas Season..."

We have all the gifts you need. Like perfume, and, y'know, other gifts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement