Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    That Donegal Catch ad.

It makes no sense on telly (why the f*ck would a fish-person want you to eat fish??), but makes even less sense on the radio.

The only clue that she's a fish is that she says she's not a fish. But there's no reason to think she is, because we can't see any of the visual clues from the telly ad.

Many, many types of nonsense come together in that ad.

It actually turns me off their product. I find the whole thing vomit inducing.

It actually turns me off their product. I find the whole thing vomit inducing.
    Really? I think it's moderately amusing. I'm curious as to how it provoked a sensation so strong as nausea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭5555555555

New vanonomics ad.

Hard pressed delivery driver gets talked down to by snooty housewife.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

5555555555 wrote: »
    New vanonomics ad.

Hard pressed delivery driver gets talked down to by snooty housewife.

It really gets my goat too. Snooty, know it all cow should be running a delivery business herself since she knows it all. As for the poxy makey-up word vanonomics ......teeth grating stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Plus:

Driver: Sorry I'm late, we're dead busy.

Lady: You know what you need?

Driver: Sorry, don't have time to talk to you. As I literally just said, we're way behind because we're very busy today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

I'll kick off with two of my most hated advertisements.

1/ Ben Dunne gyms Vs FlyeFit gyms!
    What a totally amatureish and stupid advert.

2/ Rory here from Elephant storage...
    Nought nought nought nought nought :)

All suggestions welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Is the 9457 post thread not good enough for you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 127 ✭✭Maurice Yeltsin

I don't know why but I find the hotel ad with the posh one "ok, so you're going to Dublin, for a show, or a concert at the 3 arena" very annoying. Her tone or something.

It also makes me very grateful not to be living down the sticks and being a short bus hop or taxi from anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭Comhrá

"To own an Audi......an Audi in my drive."

Makes me cringe when I hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Did you ever hear anybody as uninterested in his own product as that double glazing salesman from FairCo.

"Hi, this is Jim Toll from FairCo Windows, and putting in windows every f**king day has apparently taken it's Toll on my enthusiasm and passion for life. "

• Advertisement

One of the worst at the moment is Rory's replacement at Elephant Self Storage/Elephant Storage. While she sticks with Rory's nought, nought, nought, nought, she seems confused over the company's name and gives the name as Elephant Storage several times. :rolleyes:

that posh git who advertises some West of Ireland estate agents - is it O Donnell & Joyce property auctions ! Has he plums in his mouth? I'd avoid him if I was buying !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭RINO87

^^^^the wiiiiiiiiiiiiiild atlantic way property auction! That actually makes me chuckle. I'm sure that will wear off!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

The city colleges ad. The voice actor's voice goes through me. City colleges dot ieeeeeeeeeeeee. She does a lot of ads and really elongates the e sounds. Very annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

"If I want to scrap my car in Dublin, where should I go?"

You should forget about scrapping it and drive it off a cliff, you absolute tossbag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Have we hit rock bottom with the new Specsavers hearing one.
    It's just dreadful.

"No, I said I've always wanted a mobile phone..."

IT'S 2019 FFS!

So wrong, on so many levels.

Carphone warehouse ad in commercial break on Saturday view today Saturday.

Get the cool brilliant marvellous earth shattering SAMSUNG smartphone now at the carphone warehouse!! YEAH!!!

whatever mate. Long ad break too. Saturday View is like comparing how a transition year secondary class might deal with current affairs, compared to "This Week" which deals just a tiny wee be more seriously the same subject matter.

I hear that they are doing another run of supposed "men's mental health" advertisements. Did you ever hear such patronising rubbish in your life. They should get Tyson Fury to front a campaign about men's health if they are going to bother. He's a great speaker on the topic and I'm sure if he was asked he would help out. And if the message "I suffer from mental health issues" came from the former Heavyweight Champion Of The World, then it would permit other men to admit to themselves that they are allowed to have mental health issues as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

"Day" Facto.... D.E.F.A.C.T.O.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭plodder

Are you over paying for your travel insurance, Bridie?

Oh, I hope not Catterdin ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    That Donegal Catch ad.

It makes no sense on telly (why the f*ck would a fish-person want you to eat fish??), but makes even less sense on the radio.

The only clue that she's a fish is that she says she's not a fish. But there's no reason to think she is, because we can't see any of the visual clues from the telly ad.

Many, many types of nonsense come together in that ad.

Not least their fish could come from anywhere.. Chile, Scotland or NW Pacific Ocean for godsakes. One of these spoofer "packed in Ireland" food companies

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

"I knnnoow I never gave you back the cah,
    And I knnnnow I gave you herpes and anal warts,
    And I knnnnow I defrauded loads of pensioners out of their life savings, but
    I juuuust haad to tell someone"

About the 192 Suzuki. Yes that’ll make me buy one, you absolute bellend. Who thought that would make a good advert?

plodder wrote: »
    Are you over paying for your travel insurance, Bridie?

Oh, I hope not Catterdin ..

Can never make out whether this Ad is aimed at the dopey old wan or gay/drag market - either way it's dire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭plodder

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Can never make out whether this Ad is aimed at the dopey old wan or gay/drag market - either way it's dire.
    Ah, I quite like it. They are just hamming it up, taking the p!ss I think.

One I really don't like, and I only heard it twice so far is the Sky VIP awards thing. An oddity the first time, but it immediately becomes unlistenable-to after you've heard it once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Humphrey Menton

Jammer!
    Jammer!
    Jammer!
    Jammer-dot-i-e

Apologies if it's already been mentioned. But listening to that ad is like having your cranial contents scraped out by a rusty soup ladle.

Is Geraldine Plunkett the subject/ elderly victim of Wiltshire Farm Foods?

(aka Mary from Glenroe)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,941 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Is Geraldine Plunkett the subject/ elderly victim of Wiltshire Farm Foods?

(aka Mary from Glenroe)

Is that the wan having a fling with Jimmy the Freezer Man?
    Pat Mustard's got nothing on him.

Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

Has anyone heard the Subway ad where she calls the Meatball Marinara a Meatball Marianna - wtf like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

"Day" Facto.... D.E.F.A.C.T.O.

If you mean the pronunciation, that's a valid one. 'Day' or 'dee', but not 'deh'...

• Advertisement

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    Is that the wan having a fling with Jimmy the Freezer Man?
    Pat Mustard's got nothing on him.
    He's clearly ripping her off. You can tell that she eats like a bird and only wants the company.

He's clearly ripping her off. You can tell that she eats like a bird and only wants the company.

Is that's what it's called these days - at least Pat Mustard was up front. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

Probably already mentioned already but what the hell is with Deirdre O'Kanes voice on the appliances delivered advert, she is either pretending to sound drunk or is drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Probably already mentioned already but what the hell is with Deirdre O'Kanes voice on the appliances delivered advert, she is either pretending to sound drunk or is drunk.

I call that anti advertising. I have bought from them before, but I wont any more because of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

That Tayto add saying Alexiea... Boils my blood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Seanieke wrote: »
    That Tayto add saying Alexiea... Boils my blood

Seems to be a few ads using Alexa style content.
    Do they have to change the name for copyright reasons?
    I also have massive hatred of that ad!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Hey, Alexia.

What now.

There are complaints about you on the internet.

I’m not surprised. People are always complaining about something.

They say your name should be Alexa. Whoever christened you made a mistake.

It’s an advertising ploy to gain their attention. And it seems to have worked.

OK, I will let them know, but these people are too clever to be taken in.

Whatever. I could care less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Genghis

Yes, indeed personal pet hate is "Magic Speaker" as hereby Vodafone.

I do think though the reason they do not say Alexa or Siri or OK Google is to avoid devices in earshot reacting to the broadcast ad each time it plays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

ad for The Vaults tourist attraction with middle class actors trying to do 'All dub'/ working class accents .... sad .

Very unusual ad from RTE, with some talking heads speaking about the drugs problem in Ireland, then followed up by the RTE narrative that "RTE will always tell you the truth". I mean they didn't even know (apparently) that Gerry Ryan was on drugs was leading an anti drug campaign for their organisation, how likely it is that they are the correct people to investigate the drug issue outside of their own premises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

Just heard the Skoda ad with the 2 women looking for the vegan restaurant "Cut the Cheese". Love it!

• Advertisement

Just heard the Skoda ad with the 2 women looking for the vegan restaurant "Cut the Cheese". Love it!

It's dire and the edgy humour makes me want to throw the radio out the window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Ah that ad's quite funny in fairness. I love the passenger's reactions. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

Del.Monte wrote: »
    It's dire and the edgy humour makes me want to throw the radio out the window.

The man from Del Monte say no.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭depaor01

That goddam Hyundai ad. PLEASE MAKE IT STOP! PLEEEEASE!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

What about the Heinz mayo adverts on RTE 2FM?

Jez, that girl doing the voiceover is enthusiastic about mayo.

Anyone know who she is? She does a few adverts, her voice is terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

The ad for bonkers.ie. Two women talking, the first says she is off on holidays, the other replies with 'how can you afford that, aren't you just back from...'<I forget where.>

Can't imagine anyone asking that question in response to a comment about going on holidays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

depaor01 wrote: »
    That goddam Hyundai ad. PLEASE MAKE IT STOP! PLEEEEASE!!!!
    Hyundai... DISCOVER WHY!!-- not .

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

NIMAN wrote: »
    What about the Heinz mayo adverts on RTE 2FM?

Jez, that girl doing the voiceover is enthusiastic about mayo.

Anyone know who she is? She does a few adverts, her voice is terrible.

Yeah, absolutely terrible voice, seems to be doing a lot of voiceovers on 2FM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Yeah what is the deal with that? Why does someone deem it acceptable that it’s a good voiceover? It’s just really annoying and an abnormal way of talking

Not as bad as the whiny skanger voice "Hey Ciara" on the answering machine - never leave it on long enough to hear what it''s for! I would have heard it in its entirety when if first appeared a while ago but have long since forgotten the product being advertised - who on earth signs off on such rubbish?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement