Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

the one where the women says " we women have many voices" argghhhhhh

Agree 100% :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Mr E wrote: »
    Does anyone know exactly what Des Bishop is saying on his ad for those Samsung phones? My irish is passable, but I haven't a clue what he's saying.

I also think its obvious he is reading that last line he says. :)

Haven't heard it. I'll have to listen out for it, I'll see if I can understand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Mehh

I know I'm not the first to say it but those Kenco adds were drivin me nuts for a while, the first one was annoying enough and then they came up with two more that were ever more irritating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

The ad with "We wome have many voices...." is so cringe-worthy I do anything I can to avoid hearing when it comes on. I stil havnt found out what its for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Costcutter, and it's Deirdre O'Kane, a woman blessed with many irritating voices. Des Bishop is also an annoying, whiney, unfunny, git. Why is it that we need an American to tell us about Irish on a mobile phone? What's wrong with Hector?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

how about that 11890 DOT ie....what is wrong with that guy?

jor el wrote: »
    Why is it that we need an American to tell us about Irish on a mobile phone? What's wrong with Hector?

What ISNT wrong with Hector? :confused:

The reason they have Bishop on is because "In the name of the fada" has suddenly made it cool to have yanks shouting in Irish on radio/television. Considering the programme was ok this is a sad development. :(

bohsboy wrote: »
    He's an idiot. He also can't pronounce bonus, sounds like baownus.
    What ISNT wrong with Hector? :confused:

It was more rhetorical than anything else. I wanted to say Sharon Ni Bheolain, but couldn't remember her name, so I picked the first Irish speaking goon that came to mind.

He's an idiot. He also can't pronounce bonus, sounds like baownus.

It was more rhetorical than anything else. I wanted to say Sharon Ni Bheolain, but couldn't remember her name, so I picked the first Irish speaking goon that came to mind.

Fair enough! How about the lovely Daithi O Sé? Or Cathal O Snodaigh? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Fair enough! How about the lovely Daithi O Sé? Or Cathal O Snodaigh? :P

How about Cathal O Searcaigh?

Seriously though, Des Bishop got my 2nd year class way more interested in Irish so I like that he's still involved.

Those Kenco ads need to stfu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

bohsboy wrote: »

If its the same one Im thinking off, he starts off quite neutral/ mid atlantic -but by the end of the ad he's lapsed into some incredibly awful, nasal drawl

I have tried to reproduce this accent - it can be done if you raise your toungue to the roof of your mouth, keep it there, and then say "wun ay nine e dohhh i eeeee" without breathing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Surely tho, nothing currently being aired could be worse than the subliminal messaging one where you have the calm, precise, female voice voicing a cat and some form of out of control, head the ball voicing a dog - theres something about a stick being thrown and the intelligent cat says "is that a member of the deciduous family?" whereas the idiot dog is all "cool, a flying stick, .........again, again"

I dont even know what the ad is for (insurance maybe).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

Yeah, Cats are so clever, you regularly see them helping blind people to cross roads and searching bags for drugs at the airport :rolleyes: I hate ads that make men and dogs out to be stupid!

The new taxi regulator ad is the pits.

The new taxi regulator ad is the pits.

I'll give "our local hackney" a ring. Who says that?

The McDonalds Chinese ad, just brutal.

• Advertisement

quote]

Who says any of the things these poor voice actors are given? Also the man the voice messages are for has a very busy life that revolves entirely around taxis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Why does the voiceover on that ad say "love your summer, love your life"

and also; who takes limousines home from the pub ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

How come there is only one person who does voiceovers for the "Mother" character in radio ads, and she always sounds like she's a little unsure of herself when she gives her motherly advice about not forgetting to book taxis or insuring a car against a windscreen shattering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I hate the new samsung mobile ad with Des Bishop!!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Ciaran B

The Beatles Windsor Motors ad is wrecking my head at the moment.

• Advertisement

also the Red Bull Biology exam ad is superbad. Seeing it in the cinema is bad enough but hearing it a million times a day is worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

The McDonalds Chinese ad, just brutal.

Great ad,strereotypical karate movie taken off very well.

"Sitting at the the table of the painted clown" line is hilarious,once again McD's radio ads turn up very entertaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

Ciaran B wrote: »
    also the Red Bull Biology exam ad is superbad. Seeing it in the cinema is bad enough but hearing it a million times a day is worse.

Oh Jesus yes. The Voices, they cause me pain. It's horrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

quote]

Who says any of the things these poor voice actors are given? Also the man the voice messages are for has a very busy life that revolves entirely around taxis.

Must be from Coolock:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Sweet Jeesh!!

Just heard that Eircom Broadband ad.(one d lads)

Some gimp buying a bicycle online ?in Santa Monica and sending a photo of it to his mate in Sydney.

FFS!!!!! Who are the gimps who do that???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Sweet Jeesh!!

Just heard that Eircom Broadband ad.(one d lads)

Some gimp buying a bicycle online ?in Santa Monica and sending a photo of it to his mate in Sydney.

FFS!!!!! Who are the gimps who do that???

I absolutely cant stand either, in fact all Eircom ads bug me.

"So I found this cool website". Cool? W'anker.

Current source of radio pain for me is that Bagel ( bagal? begal?) Bar ad that's meant to have the old trout from Sex and The City banging on about shoes. Very strange, although I suppose it's trying make a New York/Bagel connection. Still bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,037 ✭✭✭✭Basq

"Hey Johnny... great weekend.

JD... I think I left the sunglasses in the back of the taxi.

Jonathon.. it's your mother.."

We get it.. it's crap! :mad:

Oh.. and that woeful McDonald's Oriental ad.

basquille wrote: »
    "Hey Johnny... great weekend.

JD... I think I left the sunglasses in the back of the taxi.

Jonathon.. it's your mother.."

We get it.. it's crap! :mad:

Oh.. and that woeful McDonald's Oriental ad.

Dont forget the man "booking our local hackney" to go to the races ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

Donncha O'Callaghan and that shower! And also I'd like to add my vote for that eircom phone-watch nob...

But they are nearly all annoying and try and tell some convoluted story with some tenuous connection with their product, "Smart boyfriends buy bud-light, because it's 4.5%".

And that one with the smart cat and stupid dog!

Any ad-break has 2 or 3 really annoying ones...

• Advertisement

Ads on TodayFM really starting to grind my gears.Majority really suck the big one.

I remember about ten years ago the ads with people yacking back and fourth to eachother really started to come in.I just remember thinking god theres quite alot of these ads around now,I REALLY hope it doesn't catch on.Ah well

Oh yeah,that nob on the D.I.D electrical ads.I had the unfortunate incident of putting a face to the pricks voice while watching rte2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Is it true that every advertising executive in the country reads this thread before deciding what will annoy the listener most. That's the one that will be chosen for the ad. campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

Havent bothered to read previous posts so sorry if it's already been said but for me it got to be:

'Harvey Norman'

that guys voice does me head in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Prrreeetttttyyyyy safe to say Harvey features in at least 50 of the previous 984 posts, Rich! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

Prrreeetttttyyyyy safe to say Harvey features in at least 50 of the previous 984 posts, Rich! :D

Thanks E, sure i had an inclination I was not the only one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

was working as temporary head of production in the ads department at an independant station earlier this summer.. spent eight hours a day processing ads, making ads for local clients, and while it was good craic, the ads do your head in. my least favourites:

D.A.A (Dublin Airport Authority), "my local takeaway is also easy to spot...FAR too easy.." in a stupid "i sound like im drugged" voice.

Kildare Village: "SHOPAHOLICS, IVE JUST DISCOVERED THE LATEST THING!"

The Irish Sun: Anything that Mick O' Dwyer voices made me want to die.

Ill add more as i remmeber them. had a bit of fun with local clients ads. the sales reps would write the scripts, give me them, and id have to find the right voice for the ad, whether it be an in-house person, or someone from another station. should hear some of the out-take ads and fake ads we made. ah such fun. sorry, im going off-topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

Any ad for how great the new barrier-free tolling is... they're trying to tell us, "Now we're going to fuc you slightly more gently than before!"

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭LarWright

Clontarf Castle, or Clontorf Costle!

Oh my gawd loike, I can't believe I loike have to go to the northsoide loike.

Maybe they'll rename it D. 4 North!?

JESUS!!!!!!! I WANNA SLAP THAT BITCH IN THE FACE. And he's a bloke bitch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭Sesudra

"Thatsh the shound of a can of Guinnesh opening..."

the bloke sounds like he's on his death bed, and his soft "sh" shounds give me the creeps

• Advertisement

Roma Pasta Ad - "One-a Two-a Three-a,into the oven she goes"

Only Irish people refer to things that are non-human females as "she" - like cars and tractors.

Is this Italian stereotype putting a human in the oven?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

The new mister T ad is good. But guarantee after a while it'll annoy the piss outta me.

Sorry if this was mentioned already. Didn't read other posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Well the one that really got to me is that one "He drives, She Dies". So sexist. Women can be very bad drivers too.
    Also your wan from the Supervalu ad's who is also in the above ad.

Those ads advocating the use of radio advertising grind my gears.

I'm a TV ad. Big budget......

Annoyance +15

Roma Pasta Ad - "One-a Two-a Three-a,into the oven she goes"

That's the Dolmio "Mama's Lasagna" ad. Not quite as annoying as the "Summer dreayassesssss" one though.

"This new toll tag system is driving.. me... round.... the.. bend!!!!!"

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Shag off Mary..!

• Advertisement

That's the Dolmio "Mama's Lasagna" ad.
    Anyone else think that the 'groan' after "Step 4- the kids do the washing up" is done by a grown woman making a kids sound? Yeah I know it sounds weird, but listen the next time.

While we're on about oddities in radio ads..

You know that irritating ad for Eircom Phonewatch with the jailbird testifying that Eircom Phonewatch are "good at what they do.." and taking.. long.. pauses.. between.. words, anyone hear a beeping or hissing noise in the background of that ad? I listen to it on earphones and notice it practically every time it's on.

It's always audible when dialogue starts.. so might just be a poor quality recording. Very annoying though!

Duh... he's ringing from a payphone in Mountjoy... they're going for AUTHENTICITY in their annoying ads. :)

Duh... he's ringing from a payphone in Mountjoy... they're going for AUTHENTICITY in their annoying ads. :)
    "Talk to Joe!" :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Annoying radio ad voiceover of the week goes to the awful woman singing the praises of the National Acquatic Centre.
    Do ad agencies insist on people having to have mild speech impediments and annoying accents before they'll hire them?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement