Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

I found myself turning off the car radio several times when that poxy McDonalds ad came on over the weekend, why do they make them so irritating. Tip for the top to overtake 'Incher.ie" is the new Recruit Ireland ad, unbelievable advertising. Do they not realise that punters will despise your product or service if you have an annoying ad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,037 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The new AA ad is even worse than the previous one..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Ciaran B

Every single LVA ad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

God that silly c*nt nattering on on the phone (to herself!) about global home improvements/windows/conservatories...a highly irritant voice that we get to hear on the double (and in plenty of other ads)...she could give yer wan from Alliance Electrical a schooling on talking with marbles in her mouth that one...

+1 on the new AA one as well...FFS get some new ideas and someone strangle that child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Just when you thought it was safe to switch on the radio again, that flippin Halifax ad is back, complete with the scream :mad:

• Advertisement

That Right Guard ad is wrecking my head..

basquille wrote: »
    That Right Guard ad is wrecking my head..

24 hours in 24 seconds? What a crock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

The ad with Jonathan Rhys Meyers, think it's for the Hope Foundation, sounds like a piss take. Where did he get the plummy accent?

jor el wrote: »
    24 hours in 24 seconds? What a crock.
    Call Mum..
    Call Dad..
    Call Bank
    Take Cyanide pill..

** "Cause you had a bad day..." **

I swear the next AA vehicle I pass on the road is having something thrown at it...every single f*cking ad break this day on every station that I got to hear had that bloody child and his two parents rabbiting on...JOIN THE AA!
    I'd prefer to push my car the length and breadth of the country's road network before I'd give that company a cent.

Seriously is there somewhere you can complain about thefrequency with which such ads are played on the radio? This isn't the first such ad to get on my nerves to this extent through excessive play and I'd loved to have complained about those as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That ad is now setting my teeth off, prolly the shock of it returning with such a vengenge :(

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,456 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I too hate that stupid AA ad.. But the ad that really annoys me is that one for e-flow (or whatever it's called) for the M50, purely because they have some cheap-ass cover band in the background singing "Don't Stop Me Now" by Queen very badly...

Could they not have got the original? Don't they have enough money??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭shoelaceface

wispa... what?? wispa.. arghhhhhhhh:mad: :mad: :mad:

still love the right price tiles adds with daft dave!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Eircom broadband radio ad is nearly as annoying as Eircom's broadband service. Some mother and teenage daughter arguing and the teenager is a stuck up, annoying , whinning little cow. When she says "skinny jeans" I wanna smash the radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Eircom broadband radio ad is nearly as annoying as Eircom's broadband service. Some mother and teenage daughter arguing and the teenager is a stuck up, annoying , whinning little cow. When she says "skinny jeans" I wanna smash the radio.

Yeah, and when she says "shopping mall". It's shopping centre!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Dunno if its been mentioned before ... too lazy to check back a few pages but, the current Spar advert with "Bertie" in it going on about the discounts.

Is it Oliver Callen doing the voice? Didnt sound good enough to be the Gift Grub lads so just presumed it was him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Ciaran B

She redeems herself at the end with the way she shouts 'whatever'. Feisty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Dunno if its been mentioned before ... too lazy to check back a few pages but, the current Spar advert with "Bertie" in it going on about the discounts.

Is it Oliver Callen doing the voice? Didnt sound good enough to be the Gift Grub lads so just presumed it was him.

I don't know who's doing the voice, but it sounds more like Padraig Harrington than Bertie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Dont know if this has been mentioned already but there was an interesting article in last week's Sunday Business Post about the poor quality of ads on Irish radio in general. From an ideas, writing, performing, directing, production and execution perspectives the quality of radio ads here leaves a lot to be desired! The article warns that real changes/improvements are needed to be made to keep people from switching off stations due to the poor quality and total lack of imagination in these ads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Pgibson

Big Tone wrote: »
    Dont know if this has been mentioned already but there was an interesting article in last week's Sunday Business Post about the poor quality of ads on Irish radio in general. From an ideas, writing, performing, directing, production and execution perspectives the quality of radio ads here leaves a lot to be desired! The article warns that real changes/improvements are needed to be made to keep people from switching off stations due to the poor quality and total lack of imagination in these ads.

The ENDLESS boring repetition of "RTE Supporting The Arts" (repeated a dozen times an hour every morning) long ago drove me to BBC Radio 4.

Most of the other RTE Radio1 ads,for IRISH firms, are done in an "English" accent you never hear in England.

I dip into Radio 1 to get the jist of the Irish news before fleeing back to Radio 4..which has NO commercial ads at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Whats this Kildare Village thing happening at the moment?Some guy singing really fast about I would assume shops in Kildare Village?He's singing so fast that its impossible to understand.And is it done to the backing track of some awful 70s tune?Really sub-standard stuff here,not expecting to here it on national radio stations tbh.

would agree with poster on the article about radio advertising,it really is the pits lately

Radio advertsing in Ireland when you consider just how popular the medium is here, is appalling - woman shouting/two women nattering an exposition about product "oh Mary have you tried..."/child as sage/busy Alpha male/"funny" gob****e/serious voice "big money" male/ and thats about it I think.

Whats notable is that there is very little use of the medium itself, sound is nothing if not flexible and has loads of potential for clever ear-candy.

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

Big Tone wrote: »

Were they being ironic? For as long as I can remember the Post has been using Jimmy Greeley and the same annoying piece of library music for their 'weakly' radio spots. "What are the implications of the Credit Crunch for you, College Fees, will it really work, How will the Budget Affect you? Find out in this week's Sunday Business Post" blah blah blah!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

The ad with Jonathan Rhys Meyers, think it's for the Hope Foundation, sounds like a piss take. Where did he get the plummy accent?

Ye I heard that. WTF is going on with the accent. It's very strange, He sounds like he's reciting Shakespear. I played a bit of ball with him a few years ago and I can tell you now, he speaks nothing like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

The Wispa McFlurry ad. I mean for Christ sake what or who talks like that. If a mate of mine started saying Wispa to me like in that ad I'd choke the fu@ker. Absolute cretins came up with that ad and even bigger cretins from McD's thought it was good enough to put on the air waves.

As for the Dolmio ad with it boxes of Tomatoes, Momma and the Italian accents. I would seriously like to kick the person who came up with this drivel square in the teeth. You are truely an arse hole of the highest order sir or madam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

cant think of a good one right now but the worst for me is the add for the AA where the parents have a car breakdown and cant figure out what to do while all the while the the most annoying little posh boy in the back keeps shouting call the aa , the same little posh boy was in another add for the aa not that long ago , i genuinly want this kids head on a plate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I thought the childs voice was the respective souls of the 2 other people.
    Their spiritual self reminding them they are in the AA.

But then I realised I wasnt insane and that its their child.

But I do mute the car radio when I hear that F*cking stupid Eircom add with the mother/daughter. Sometimes when I hear it I feel like slamming my car into the concrete motorway median just to end it quicker!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Never.. What Ever! Jesus, I agree.

They're on a roll though...the interfering biddy who, as a wife/daughter/mother, wants to keep tabs on her whole family is annoyiing too... who actually uses the phrase "sing for your supper" these days anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

What I hate the most about all of the poxy Irish radio ads is that every last one of them seems to use the same small group of voice actors. It gets very tiresome hearing the same fu<ker in every second ad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I have to agree with the "New jeans.../ Tattoos? / Never! / Whatever!" ad for eircom (for their talktime product?) - and, in fact, the majority if not all eircom ads on the radio right now ... - awful sh!te.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Liking: the nissan ad with yer man in the dub accent trying to start his old van "Ah don't start,don't start on me!" ironic and funny.

Not Liking: The guide to apartment management companies ad from the consumer agency. She sounds like she should have been in Darbey O'Gill and the little people. I like having country accents in ads but her accent is pure begorra!

irritating and stupid.
    Fixed. ;)
    I like having country accents in ads but her accent is pure begorra!

Especially the way she says Consoomer.
    Mr E wrote:
    They're on a roll though...the interfering biddy who, as a wife/daughter/mother, wants to keep tabs on her whole family is annoyiing too... who actually uses the phrase "sing for your supper" these days anyway?

So her son goes to Guatemala, her daughter is on Mars, her mother joins a rock band and her husband hasn't come home from the golf club in 17 years. Ever get the feeling your family don't want you keeping tabs on them, you annoying, interfering old bitch?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭GeturGun

Liking: the nissan ad with yer man in the dub accent trying to start his old van "Ah don't start,don't start on me!" ironic and funny.

LOL, love that one!!!! V clever :D

Tip for the top to overtake 'Incher.ie" is the new Recruit Ireland ad, unbelievable advertising. Do they not realise that punters will despise your product or service if you have an annoying ad?

Totally agree. Caught this earlier whilst scanning stations...I was like, WTF? They should try recruiting someone who can sing for a start...oh and someone who knows what "good" advertising is...

The new one by Zurich takes a page outta the "irritating child in the back out of the car" book... combined with an annoying jingle.

Hate it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Speaking of irritating children, is anyone else hating the "CHILL-DOT-IE" ads doing the rounds at the moment?

Oh and the Nissan Gold Standard ads where the car dealer has a tear in his eye and is sorry to see the car go, etc. etc. makes me want to put my fist through the radio. Sad to see another one go, is he? - my arse, he is! - he's glad to get another sale and make his paltry commission, that's what he is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Bard wrote: »
    Speaking of irritating children, is anyone else hating the "CHILL-DOT-IE" ads doing the rounds at the moment?

The kid in that ad speaks with a slur. I think he's drunk. Probably nerves.

Tip for the top to overtake 'Incher.ie" is the new Recruit Ireland ad, unbelievable advertising. Do they not realise that punters will despise your product or service if you have an annoying ad?

Heard that ad the other day, and spent most of the length of the ad trying to figure out what Grapefruit Ireland was?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

all directory enquiries ads using old songs for their jingles:

1-1-8-50! (D-I-S-C-O) Rubbish
    Better call 11-8-90! (Kung Fu Fighting) OY! We don't bloody care!
    and let's not forget eircom's 11-8-11 crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭DavidLive

Mr E wrote: »
    The kid in that ad speaks with a slur. I think he's drunk. Probably nerves.
    I actually came to report this advert...

... It's truly shocking!

Makes me want to shoot the radio, or the child. Whatever is more applicable! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭The Boarder Man

Worst:

The Licensed Vintners Association adds on Phantom.

Nothing makes me switch station or turn off the radio faster. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

That retard in the Halifax ad shouting "show me the money". God almighty what a festering pile of turgid sh1te.

They seem to be playing the ad a lot these days more then previously. Rage and Blood pressure is correspondingly higher these days then previously....

That retard in the Halifax ad shouting "show me the money". God almighty what a festering pile of turgid sh1te.

They seem to be playing the ad a lot these days more then previously. Rage and Blood pressure is correspondingly higher these days then previously....

I know, between that and the "oh flip" x 1,000 piece of horse manure, Halifax are really digging a hole for themselves :confused:

Halifax have much bigger problems right now!

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Oh yes, don't expect to see any ads for quite a while. :D

eircom have just upped the anti with their new ad for business broadband, complete with fake Henry Street style auld ones shouting about it. More utterly stupid shite from a company that you really don't expect anything better from, but can't believe that they can keep getting worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

eircom have just upped the anti with their new ad for business broadband, complete with fake Henry Street style auld ones shouting about it. More utterly stupid shite from a company that you really don't expect anything better from, but can't believe that they can keep getting worse.

That ones mad annoying alright. The whole thinking behind it is insulting as ****. The "joke" is that even a "wan from de flats workin' on henry streeeetttt" knows that its a great a deal so if a dopey wan like that says its true it surely must be. Eircom ****tards.

Euro2's crappy Halloween ad makes an unwelcome return. Still sounds like it cost them 2 euro to make it.

Euro2's crappy Halloween ad makes an unwelcome return. Still sounds like it cost them 2 euro to make it.

If that's the case, I could think of a million better ways to spend €2. Useless.

That "recycling week" ad is really getting on my tits. "This week, we need you to recycle an extra two bin loads of recycling", what? Where are we supposed to put this extra two bin loads of stuff, when we only have one bin, and it's only collected every 2nd week? Also, who has that much bottles and cans strewn around their house? All this "green" crap really gets on my nerves.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement